SM OU Ou Blitz Showdown Team!

I have used this team on both USUM and Showdown and honestly, I rarely loose. I feel like it could use some improvements to it so let me know what you think.
Edits: Changed Ferrothorn and Gengar's moveset
Changed Zapdos set
Added Ice Punch to Lopunny's set
Gave more options to Emboar

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is my main lead. I run Leech Seed for chip damage and then STAB or switch the crap out of my opponent. I used to run Spikes on this team but decided to change it up due to ScalchopFren's comment. Gyro Ball is a good move to use on Ferrothorn because of it's crappy speed stat. Anything half-decently fast that is not physically defensive will take quite the chunk of damage.

Azumarill (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill is my main sweeper and switch in for fire types that threaten Ferrothorn. Like all the Pokémon on this team, it is a standard set. It is also a switch in for bulky ground types like Hippowdon. I have noticed it is good for Hyper Offensive teams with Umbreon Cleric and can easily take on Charizard-Y, Landorus-T, and even against Cleric Cresselia.

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack/Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out

Loppunny's access to Scrappy make it a capable sweeper without one capable type to stop it. Ice Punch and Quick Attack are both amazing moves to use though I prefer Ice Punch for Gliscor and Landorus-Therian. High Jump Kick can get everything that resist Normal and Fake Out is good for sweeping steel and rock types. My biggest attacking move is Return though because it 2 h-kos Slowbro-Mega and it also has a great habit of taking out magic bounce users like Rock Clef or B pass Espeon.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

This set is a more bulky 'Dos than the original one here. Recommended by ScalchopFren. It is 200 times better than the other set and can stall a bit easier. With roost I can heal up more reliably than leftovers, with Heat Wave and Discharge not only being great moves, it takes out the likes of Poison Heal Breloom, Bulky Cellesteela, Ferrothorn, Craudaunt, Gyarados-M, and even Defensive Magearna, and Defog, sadly, will take care of all hazards on the field including my own, but can leave duel screens Electorde anf Klefki unusable

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball/Focus Blast

Gengar has been really good for coverage. Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball are perfect STAB moves. Dazzling Gleam is mainly for Dragonite although it helped me out with Mega Sabeleye. Energy Ball is good coverage even though Ferrothorn has Power Whip. Another good option brought to my attention by ScalchopFren is Focus Blast Gengar instead of Energy Ball it can help against Bulky steel types and surprise slower offensive steel types like Bisharp and Aggron.

Emboar @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Head Smash is Emboars main attacking move alongside Flare Blitz. Wild Charge is for Flying and Water types and Superpower is just for stab coverage, in the past I have also ran Take Down set and Life Orb set but to me, this set just did the best. Another move I used on him was Hammer Arm, but it only had one sole purpose, to take down Smeargle.

Last edited:

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Technically you're supposed to have THREE lines of description for each Pokémon according to RMT rules, but I can try to help before there's a chance of the mods locking this thread.
  1. Stealth Rock is a much MUCH more important hazard than Spikes. Nothing is immune to it (Spikes damage is avoided entirely by Flying-types or Pokémon with Levitate) so it's guaranteed chip damage, and in the case of something 4x weak to Rock like Mega Charizard Y, the opponent can lose up to 50% of their HP on switchin. Notably, you seem to have a complete lack of them on your team, which is a real problem when the previously-mentioned Zard Y beats your team almost single-handedly if it has Solar Beam (even Emboar gets 2HKOd by Flamethrower in the sun). To fix this, I would either give Ferrothorn rocks instead of Spikes or scrap something for a Stealth Rock user. My first thought is this Kommo-o set, although using it would probably force you to remove Azu because of the Z-move, and then Emboar because of the oversaturation of Fighting-types. Alternatively, I would recommend going into the teambuilder and looking at which Pokémon in the tier learn Stealth Rock, then seeing which ones could fit best on your team.
  2. Quick Attack is a niche option on Lopunny, though it's quite often unnecessary. It makes you miss out on Ice Punch, which is a great option not only for Lopunny but for your whole team, as it provides Ice coverage for Flying types (ESPECIALLY Landorus, the most common Pokémon in the tier).
  3. If you're not a fan of Zapdos's Defog, Rapid Spin is the alternative. It will ensure that only hazards on your side of the field are removed, so any that you set up will stay up. Combining this with point 1 about Stealth Rock, you could potentially run Excadrill, which is basically the only viable spinner in the tier and can often run rocks too. Though it's important to know that I strongly discourage replacing Zapdos with Excadrill, as it leaves you very VERY weak to Landorus.
  4. On the subject of Zapdos, don't use that set. Bulkier variants like this one are much preferred in OU, as they make it a much better switchin to strong physical attackers like Hawlucha (which also beats your team pretty easily without Zapdos) and Kartana.
  5. Replace one of Gengar's coverage moves (Energy Ball or Dazzling Gleam; take your pick) with Focus Blast. Low accuracy aside, it's basically the only way you don't get forced out by Ferrothorn or Tyranitar. Being forced out by Tyranitar is especially problematic for a Ghost type, as Tyranitar often runs Pursuit, which will guarantee a KO on a frail Pokémon like Gengar even without you switching. Technically it is still weak to what you have right now, but it can take two of either move from full HP and knock you out in return.

Thanks! I'll definitely edit this team and try it out! What about Z-conversion Pory-Z instead of one of the team members? It has a great niche against Lando-T

Last edited:

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
With all due respect, there are several Pokémon that are better suited to fighting Lando than Porygon-Z. I would visit Lando's Smogdex page and scroll down to check out the "checks and counters" section

Ok, I will check that out. I have been trying diferent things on this team but none seem to be as good as you recommended. Thank You.

Flares.

Banned deucer.
You’ve created such a beautiful team. I envy at the fact I wasn’t able to produce such a core as yourself. I mean having the idea behind Lopunny + Normalium z Azu two incredible wall-breakers in OU Blitz and with the idea of bulk zapdos and ferrothorn, added on with the idea of gengar? People would laugh at such an idea, Gengar in gen7ou which I’ve scene from great players on the ladder such as Evanston used. The last edition of Emboar I mean sheesh this is a strong wall-breaking powered team not much can switch into Emboar itself. I got a high rank with this team. I would like to thank you with the amount of effort you put into this post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)