Other Metagames Teambuilding Competition [Week 2; BH: Metagross-Mega]

Approved by Eevee General
OP taken from the OU thread hosted by -Clone-

Other Metagames Teambuilding Competition

Welcome to the Other Metagames teambuilding competition. Every week I will post a Pokemon or core of Pokemon, along with a metagame. It is your job to build a successful team around these Pokemon. Once you have done so, PM your team to me with the format shown below. You have five days to do so. Once these five days are up, submissions will be closed and I will start the voting period. The voting period, which will last for two days, will be when everyone casts one vote for their favorite team. At the end of this period, the winner will be announced and the process will repeat itself. Below are the rules, and everything else you may need to know.

Rules

1. To submit a team, it must be PMed to me, and it must follow the format shown below. You may make changes to it as much as you like, but once the deadline hits everything will be locked in and I will post what I see at that moment.
  2. Disputes / Copying: Obviously, there is potential for disputes over copying or people making similar entries. In general, if your team entry has the same Pokémon and similar move sets to an earlier entry, it will be disqualified. If anyone tries to abuse this by reserving an early post in the thread for their entry, please bring it to my attention and they'll be disqualified.
  3. Discussion and Team Changes: One part of the process is to have discussion about the teams and the core. While I'd like to keep this from being a speedy RMT thread, suggestions of improvements to entered teams are allowed. In the interests of fairness though, I'd ask that any suggestions don't involve anything more major than move set changes, and that if you've already submitted a team you won't change the Pokémon in it. Basically, just be sure that you're happy with the team before you send it in.
  4. Replays may be attached to show your team in action, but try to maintain your anonymity. This prevents bandwagoning of any sort.
  5. No Bandwagonning : Simple rule: try to not support someone simply because you recognized his nick or because he/she has a shiny trophy. Vote for who you want to win, not who your friend wants you to vote for. Obviously it'll be hard to enforce this, but please use some common sense.
  6. Suggestions are welcome and encouraged, but please do not get offended by any means if I don't use your core. Spanning multiple metagames and whatnot it may be difficult to keep up with the requests for pokemon/cores. If you do make a suggestion, please make it viable as to not waste my time.

Below is an example of the format you will be PMing to me. Remember to follow this format exactly. Failure to do so may result in me rejecting your team. If you can't spend five minutes formatting your team, I won't spend five minutes posting your team when voting time comes. Remember, do not post your team in the thread. PM it to me.
Credit to the team goes to Uselesscrab

This team was built around the Protean Mega Mewtwo X; Electric / Ground coverage hits most of the prominent threats in BH for solid damage, and with my spare moveslot I chose Extreme Speed to net surprise KOs on previously damaged -ate users. This set, of course, is totally walled by Giratina, so I added a Fur Coat one to my team to wall Imposters and kill Shedinja. Opposing Giratinas would be a huge problem, unfortunately, so I selected Pixilate Mega Diancie, which can OHKO them with Boomburst, as a second attacker. Of course that, too, needed a wall of its own, and I selected Assault Vest Regenerator Mega Steelix, a recent test subject of mine and excellent -ate check, for the role in question. The last two teamslots went to an obligatory Magic Bouncer (Mega Audino) and setup check (Prankster Aegislash)

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- King's Shield
- Bolt Strike
- Precipice Blades
- ExtremeSpeed

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wish
- King's Shield
- Metal Burst
- Infestation

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Entrainment
- Aromatherapy
- Baton Pass
- Roost

Diancie-Mega @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- ExtremeSpeed
- Boomburst
- Whirlpool

Steelix-Mega @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Nuzzle
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin
- Gear Grind

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Destiny Bond
- Parting Shot
- Roost

The Hall of Fame and current core will be in the following posts.

Hall of Fame:

Round 1 (Inheritance): FishInABox

This team was originally built around a core of Primordial Sea Empoleon and Levitate Doublade. However, for the purposes of this competition I will be explaining the team as if it was built around the other core present, the one that provides the offensive presence for the team and that checks certain offensive threats; Ampharos and Skarmory.

I am a firm believer in the fact that every well-built team can be reconstructed from any concept or team member. Firstly, I chose defensive Ampharos-Mega as a wall that I could build around as well as for Volt Switch momentum and sheer power. To complete the Volt-Turn core and to deal with an omnipresent threat that I knew I would have to build around eventually - Mega-Blaziken - I chose to rip a page out of the ol' book of Almost Any Ability with Gale Wings Skarmory. At this point I knew that I would have a lot of momentum and chances to bring in offensive tanks on the opponents Pokemon. I also knew however, that the extremely common Rock-Type Landorus Counters would hard-wall this core. Something that I had been wanting to try was Primordial Sea Empoleon. This is a set that I have advertised many times to peers and to people in the Inheritance thread. It capitalizes not only on the ample momentum created with a Volt-Turn core, but also the abundance of Water-weak Offensive and Defensive 'mons in the Metagame.

Looking at the team so far, it doesn't seem very logical. It is worn down incredibly easily by the single most hated Offensive threat in the tier: Landorus. At this point it is also weak to Bulky Fighting Types (while I can Brave Bird them, I have no switch-ins), Mega-Glalie with Volt Tackle, Contrary Terrakion, and Mega-Blaziken. With all of this in mind, I decided to add Levitate Doublade. (You may be questioning how Doublade beats Blaziken without having Flash Fire. I only needed a check, and bluffing Flash Fire is an effective enough way to force them out.) Doublade synergizes incredibly well with the rest of the team, providing two immunities as well as switching into virtually any physical hit that the other members can't take.

At this point, any combination of two special attackers could have beaten me. As much as it pains me to say it, this next decision was the least thoughtful teambuilding decision I have ever made. I decided to add the sponge of all attacks: Chansey. Both Prankster and Transform work for the purposes of this team, even though one is obviously considered more threatening than the other.

Looking at the team now, I know I need something for Simple users, but a Dark type would increase an already glaring fighting weakness, hence, Unaware Mandibuzz. What to say other than the fact that this thing does it's job? The team without it can deal with almost any team without Simple, and it's a necessary member of the team because other wise, while I can hope to beat Latios with priority Brave Bird(s) and Chansey, a hard counter is necessary

Later it became clear to me that I didn't have as big of a weakness to set up sweepers as I had assumed. The team handles them surprisingly well between Chansey and the offensive presence provided by Ampharos and Skarmory. Because of this, I replaced Mandibuzz with Magic Bounce Spiritomb. It still offers the important Psychic immunity and can wear down Simple users with Knock Off and Seismic Toss, but also provides a much needed Magic Bouncer for the team.

With the fighting immunity now filled, I was able to do something that I wanted to do since the conception of the team: replace the passive Doublade. Since Scrappy Fighting-Types would still be a problem and I desperately needed a ground resist, Poison Heal Celebi seemed to fit my team the best. This set is honestly one of the best in the meta, only broken by Magic Bouncers and Prankster Taunt.

So that's the team, I hope you liked it!
Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metal Burst
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Teravolt
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 232 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Shadow Sneak

Celebi @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Spore

Last edited:
Current Core:

Round 2:
BH: Metagross-Mega

Round 2 Ends Friday, March 20th at 11:59 PM EST.

Remember to PM your teams to me. Good Luck!

Round 1:
Inheritance: Ampharos-Mega + Skarmory

The inaugural core will be for inheritance, as it strongly promotes creativity, even within the sets of the core, and has a massive playerbase to back. The two have very good synergy and much potential for different sets, especially for Ampharos whom I've personally never seen before. Remember that Ampharos must use it's Mega Stone

Last edited:
I suppose I should explain that at this point of the thread, while submissions come in, would be a good time to talk about potential threats to the core, as well as pokemon it would be neccisary for any team in the metagame to counter. Even though this is a competition, the more quality of teams to choose from, the better!​

potential threats to the core​
Chansey. Reason: it threatens everything, and neither member of the core is a powerful physical attacker or Fighting-type (neither can run Breloom or Guts effectively, is what I'm saying). The core definitely needs support against Chanseys of all stripes, because it can neither stop Chansey nor power through it. Specially based Protean users, with STAB Fire, Ice, and Electric STABs at their service, are more than capable of punching their way through this core as well.

I do think, however, that the core is capable of handling some of the common offensive Pokemon in the tier fairly well, especially physical attackers. Skarmory is, as we all know, a defensive beast, while Ampharos has the same defenses as Zapdos (and a solid defensive typing) and can also mega-evolve into another great defensive typing. I suspect that the pair will best operate as an effective, albeit unorthodox, defensive core.

Its biggest weakness, though, is that using Mega Ampharos means that you can't use any other megas, so another priority will likely be to make the most out of Ampharos's mega-evolution.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't tried building a team for this round strangely, but what do you guys think are qualities of this core?

I especially like the synergy, which is both good offensively and defensively. Both have multiple viable donors and can run quite some sets effectively. It's been quite a pain to deal with, especially Ampharos Mega at times. It has pretty good resists for this metagame, since it resists pretty much all attacks used by Gale Wingers, it can check most Water types . Its weakness to Ice, and Ground aren't appreciated, but Dragon and Fairy aren't that common in my experience and it can often survive one attack. Luckily Skarmory can check all these weaknesses, with the exception of Ice. Skarmory can still beat a lot of Ice-types, with its huge physical bulk. Boomburst Mega Glalie seems like a problem though.

Ampharos seems cool and I've fought it a few times already, things it can be good with are or can do: Bulky Attacking, Pivoting, Slow Volt Switch, Wish Passing + Volt Switch, Recovery, Draco Meteor. It can also run a defensive set if you have a stall team, helping to check Flying types for the team. It can also run status in taht case, and a slow Volt Switch is still good for stall! Mold Breaker is still a fine ability especially since a lot of stuff get powerful abilities now.

Their weakness to Chansey and Protean are sad, but Chansey isn't that hard to prepare for with a Magic Bounce / Poison Heal user. It can be annoying, but teambuilding can easily fix it. Protean is a little harder, but not all Protean users have an Ice + Fire / Electric move and Skarm can run Volt Absorb or Flash Fire to surprise the Protean. It's hard to find a definite counter for Protean, but revenging works when having an offensive team and more defensive teams can use a pivot to scout the set. (With something like Regen)

Their weakness to Chansey and Protean are sad, but Chansey isn't that hard to prepare for with a Magic Bounce / Poison Heal user. It can be annoying, but teambuilding can easily fix it. Protean is a little harder, but not all Protean users have an Ice + Fire / Electric move and Skarm can run Volt Absorb or Flash Fire to surprise the Protean. It's hard to find a definite counter for Protean, but revenging works when having an offensive team and more defensive teams can use a pivot to scout the set. (With something like Regen)
In my personal experience, Sableye!Chansey shits all over Protean, with the only option being basically for Chansey's Eviolite to get knocked off and letting some beastly physical attacker take the burn and keep the pressure up with Drain Punch, and that's assuming that you wear it down enough first that it can't just take a turn to Mirror Coat you into oblivion. It's also just a good compliment to the team in terms of being a special wall while Ampharos and Skarmory are inclined towards physical walling; Skarmory can run Flash Fire if you're afraid of Blaziken.

Voting begins now, and ends at 11:59 PM EST Sunday. Please post your vote in this thread, and please vote for only one team. The winner will be revealed Monday, along with the new core.

Team 1:

When I saw this core, my mind immediately went to TR Bulky Offense. Skarmory immediately seemed like an ideal setter, and Mew, the perfect Inheritor. The set is fairly self explanatory, lead, get up TR, switch to relevant wallbreaker. Ampharos, the second part of the core, Inherits from Palkia as to have a high power option for Draco targets without drawbacks, and to get Earth Power to nail Steels. You'll want to mega evolve immediately, to have even less speed and get Moldy going for any sturdy mons or anything of the sort. Panda inherits from Hitmonlee, as Knock Off + Reckless HJK nukes most of the metagame as is, not to mention Hone Claws for extra wreckage. Reuniclus is my Special wincon I put together, Inheriting from Mew again. Nails most relevant targets, and packs a good punch after a CM boost. Rhydon was my "oh fuck Gale Wings Lando" option, and Azelf is my "ofuck TR is down and my setters died"

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Trick Room
- U-turn

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room
- Spacial Rend
- Earth Power

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Drain Punch

Team 2:

This is a Trick Room team. Ampharos is my first Trick Room setter. With solid bulk and typing, as well as Regenerator pre-mega, it can generally take a hit to set up Trick Room and then hit hard with boltbeam coverage unhindered by Volt Absorb and the like. Wish lets it support the rest of the team as well. Slowking, inheriting from Sigilyph, is a secondary Trick Room setter that slams out nigh-unresisted Future Sights, often at +1 or +2. Escavalier is this team's way of handling Sableye Chansey, and just an overall hard-hitter under Trick Room. Flash Fire Skarmory helps my team take on Fire-type attackers, which threaten Escavalier and Mamoswine, and has great typing synergy with Ampharos. It passes wishes, clerics, and lays down burns. Standard Sableye Chansey makes an appearance to take special hits and help this team deal with fast Special attackers, and puts in work against basically every team. Mamoswine rounds off the team by basically doing what it does in standard, except with a stronger Ice-type STAB and Spikes instead of Stealth Rock.

Audino (Ampharos) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Wish
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Flareon (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Sableye (Chansey) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Metal Burst

Sigilyph (Slowking) @ Leftovers
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Future Sight
- Dazzling Gleam

Heracross (Escavalier) @ Life Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Megahorn

Glalie-Mega (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Spikes

Team 3:

This team was originally built around a core of Primordial Sea Empoleon and Levitate Doublade. However, for the purposes of this competition I will be explaining the team as if it was built around the other core present, the one that provides the offensive presence for the team and that checks certain offensive threats; Ampharos and Skarmory.

I am a firm believer in the fact that every well-built team can be reconstructed from any concept or team member. Firstly, I chose defensive Ampharos-Mega as a wall that I could build around as well as for Volt Switch momentum and sheer power. To complete the Volt-Turn core and to deal with an omnipresent threat that I knew I would have to build around eventually - Mega-Blaziken - I chose to rip a page out of the ol' book of Almost Any Ability with Gale Wings Skarmory. At this point I knew that I would have a lot of momentum and chances to bring in offensive tanks on the opponents Pokemon. I also knew however, that the extremely common Rock-Type Landorus Counters would hard-wall this core. Something that I had been wanting to try was Primordial Sea Empoleon. This is a set that I have advertised many times to peers and to people in the Inheritance thread. It capitalizes not only on the ample momentum created with a Volt-Turn core, but also the abundance of Water-weak Offensive and Defensive 'mons in the Metagame.

Looking at the team so far, it doesn't seem very logical. It is worn down incredibly easily by the single most hated Offensive threat in the tier: Landorus. At this point it is also weak to Bulky Fighting Types (while I can Brave Bird them, I have no switch-ins), Mega-Glalie with Volt Tackle, Contrary Terrakion, and Mega-Blaziken. With all of this in mind, I decided to add Levitate Doublade. (You may be questioning how Doublade beats Blaziken without having Flash Fire. I only needed a check, and bluffing Flash Fire is an effective enough way to force them out.) Doublade synergizes incredibly well with the rest of the team, providing two immunities as well as switching into virtually any physical hit that the other members can't take.

At this point, any combination of two special attackers could have beaten me. As much as it pains me to say it, this next decision was the least thoughtful teambuilding decision I have ever made. I decided to add the sponge of all attacks: Chansey. Both Prankster and Transform work for the purposes of this team, even though one is obviously considered more threatening than the other.

Looking at the team now, I know I need something for Simple users, but a Dark type would increase an already glaring fighting weakness, hence, Unaware Mandibuzz. What to say other than the fact that this thing does it's job? The team without it can deal with almost any team without Simple, and it's a necessary member of the team because other wise, while I can hope to beat Latios with priority Brave Bird(s) and Chansey, a hard counter is necessary

Later it became clear to me that I didn't have as big of a weakness to set up sweepers as I had assumed. The team handles them surprisingly well between Chansey and the offensive presence provided by Ampharos and Skarmory. Because of this, I replaced Mandibuzz with Magic Bounce Spiritomb. It still offers the important Psychic immunity and can wear down Simple users with Knock Off and Seismic Toss, but also provides a much needed Magic Bouncer for the team.

With the fighting immunity now filled, I was able to do something that I wanted to do since the conception of the team: replace the passive Doublade. Since Scrappy Fighting-Types would still be a problem and I desperately needed a ground resist, Poison Heal Celebi seemed to fit my team the best. This set is honestly one of the best in the meta, only broken by Magic Bouncers and Prankster Taunt.

So that's the team, I hope you liked it!

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Primordial Sea
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Metal Burst
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Teravolt
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 232 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Shadow Sneak

Celebi @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Spore

Last edited:
Team 3
I personally liked team three mostly because of the fact it wasn't trick room. I feel that trick room isn't that great in a meta with -ate boosted fake speed and such. Otherwise I liked the fact that it used such uncommon pokemon, namely celebi and doublade. The team seems very anti-meta, and that is what makes it fun.
FishInABox are you happy now?

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Awww, I forgot to submit my team for this core :[
Anyway, I'm going to vote for Team 2 because I like the idea, and we gotta spread the love around :] All 3 are good teams though, like Snaq said, it was hard deciding
I chose Team 2 because I really like the fact that it used a couple of ungeneric things, such as Slowking and Escavalier. It also looks like it will fare well in inheritance, as it can counter some common Pokemon such as Chansey and Empoleon, although it does seem like it might struggle against BD+E-Speed Mega Glalie if it lets it set up, and perhaps Protean Azelf. I really liked the innovation of using Tinted Lens+CM+Future Sight to wreck every non-Dark type on a bulky Pokemon that fit in with the Trick Room theme, while assisting the team in being a secondary Trick Room setter, and potentially sweeping with CM. It appears to have good team synergy with a variety of Wish passers and TR setters allowing you to keep the team healthy and functioning throughout the game even if you lose a piece (for example, if Mega Amph is surprise killed, Slowking can set TR, and Skarm can still Wish pass). Overall it seems like a pretty good team that will fare well in the inheritance metagame.

Last edited:

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
I'd like to ask you all to say why you liked the teams that you voted for. A basic "I like how this and this work together on the team" or "This team does well against ___, an important threat in the current meta" is really fine. I'm sure the people who submitted would like feedback on their teams, and I know that the purpose of this thread, besides to promote creativity in tiers, is to discuss the role the core has in the metagame; a great way to do this is discuss the role the team specifically has in the metagame. Again, I hate to see this turn into simply a competition, and I personally think it could be a great tool to analyse more complicated aspects of the meta.

Sorry for prolonging this a bit, ended up falling asleep early last night.

This weeks winner is FishInABox by a large majority. His team will be added to the Hall of fame shortly.

New Core:

Round 2:
Hidden Type: Tangrowth + Heatran

Round 2 Ends Friday, March 13th at 11:59 PM EST.

These two have very good defensive synergy, and can wall a variety of huge threats in the metagame depending on what HT they run. I'm not too knowledgeable on Hidden Type so I don't have much else to say really. Remember to PM your teams to me. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I got no submissions for round 2, so I'm just gonna pretend it didn't happen.

New Core:

Round 2:
BH: Metagross-Mega

Round 2 Ends Friday, March 20th at 11:59 PM EST.

Metagross is a fairly potent, yet underrated sweeper in the tier. It can run a variety of sets, and needs a decent bit of support to be successful. I'm excited to see teams around it! Remember to PM me your teams!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)