Other Metagames Pokemon Matchmaking ♥

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor

Pokemon Matchmaking

All Pokemon are unable to function effectively without their checks and counters gone, which is where their teammates come in. These partners are capable of dismantling multiple Pokemon proving a threat to their teammates, providing invaluable support and thus are often seen as the heart of the team.
This project aims to brainstorm various ideal and effective partners to various Pokemon that may range from metagame defining Pokemon to more underrated threats.

Procedure

Every week, I will nominate a Pokemon for discussion of potential partners and submissions. There will be one Pokemon each for Tier Shift, STABmons, and Almost Any Ability. In that week, you will have the chance to submit any good partners for that chosen Pokemon, and I will choose the best partner(s) for that chosen Pokemon and put it into the archive. People that manage to get into the archive multiple times with good submissions will be let into the Hall of Fame.

Rules

1. Stick with things on the viability rankings. Do not nominate unviable or completely niche Pokemon, but do not be afraid to nominate underrated threats.
2. Reservations are perfectly welcome. However, in your reservation post you must state when you will be able to get your reservation done. This time frame must be no longer than 12 hours. After this time has expired, other users can take your reservation and do it for themselves. If you do not state a time frame your reservation expires in exactly two hours.
3. Don't theorymon. Post Pokemon that you have experience with, or have seen have quite some use, don't pull Pokemon out of thin air that you think will work well. Have some experience first please.
4. Explain how and why the Pokemon you chose works well. For example, offensive synergy in terms of checks and counters or defensive synergy in terms of typing and checking threats.
5. Be nice to others with your posts and only post meaningful things. One-liners clutter up the thread, as do random memes.
6. Calcs are nice, but not compulsory.
7. Enjoy :)
8. ONE PARTNER PER POST PLEASE!!!

Week One!

STABmons

Tier Shift

Almost Any Ability

@ Desolate Land​

Last edited:
I think that a set should be specified; this way, people will know which pokemon fit best with the week's nomination. I can't really speak for STABmons and Tier Shift, but in AAA Heatran can utilize many different sets, as shown in the viability rankings:

S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.

- Heatran - Desolate Land, Chlorophyll, Levitate, Regenerator, Magnet Pull.

Each set has different partners, for example Chlorophyll needs a sun setter, while Magnet Pull would like some Steel-type pokemon lures, and other sets have defensive synergy. Just a thought, I think it'd be better if this was implemented into the OP.

EDIT: I assume this was approved, but it's not in the OP as well.

Reactions: EV

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Most threads like this don't specify the set of the Pokemon, but if people think I should include it because of the diversity of OMs I will.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Heatran AAA Partner: Landorus-Incarnate with Storm Drain.

Heatran's 3 biggest threats: Ground, Water, Fighting. LandoI covers all three. The most common counter I see is ddance Gyarados with an electric immunity. If you can bait it into a waterfall, a timid focus blast is a guaranteed kill, and lando will survive a +1 adamant crunch, barely. When switching into fighting types, you do have to be careful of ice punch or if its lucario a refridge e-speed, but if you can get a calm mind or a storm drain boost off, a psychic will kill most fighting types. That said, I've had the most success with Earth power, psychic, focus blast, calm mind, with a timid nature. Since Lando covers up Heatran's glaring ground weakness, you can run more creative options rather than levitate and surprise the opponent, such as scarf magnet pull, or sheer force life orb.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor

4. Explain how and why the Pokemon you chose works well. For example, offensive synergy in terms of checks and counters or defensive synergy in terms of typing and checking threats.​
Be sure to talk about mons that the core collectively beats and beats for eachother. This is a great start, but remember, teambuilding is about counters, not typing.

EV

Banned deucer.

Hey, it's a mega that no one ever uses in STABmons!

Defensively:
  • Tyranitar's weaknesses to Fighting, Water, Fairy, and Grass are handled by Venusaur. To a lesser extent Venusaur can also take some Ground, Steel, and Bug attacks, but keep in mind these are neutral so try to take on weaker hits when possible.
  • Venusaur's weaknesses to Psychic and Flying are handled by Tyranitar.
  • Together they make great Knock Off sponges.
  • They grant status support (Dark Void or Spore), cleric duty (Aromatherapy), and hazards (Stealth Rock and/or Toxic Spikes).
  • The residual sandstorm damage to Venusaur can be mitigated by Leech Seed or Giga Drain recovery.
Offensively:
  • Azumarill has a hard time breaking Venusaur, who can take even a +6 Play Rough with 248/0 and retaliate with Giga Drain.
  • Terrakion and Conkeldurr will want to switch into Tyranitar but don't immediately threaten Venusaur. The former can be hit with a super effective Giga Drain while the latter can be worn down with Leech Seed and STAB attacks.
  • Ferrothorn spooks Tyranitar with Gyro Ball, Horn Leech, or status, all of which do little or nothing to Venusaur. Venusaur will need HP Fire to threaten it back, however.
  • Quagsire walls most Tyranitar but unless it burns Venusaur with Scald (which is remedied by Aromatherapy) it can't hurt it.
  • Gliscor without Brave Bird ends up in a stalemate with Venusaur, which is immune to Toxic and can use Leech Seed to cancel out Poison Heal recovery. With Roost Gliscor is vulnerable to Grass.
  • Choice Scarf Tyranitar can remove Latios, Espeon, and Meloetta for Venusaur who is countered by all three.
  • Thundurus without Focus Blast/Superpower is generally checked by Tyranitar thanks to sandstorm. It can Pursuit trap or just spam strong Knock Offs and Diamond Storms.
  • Talonflame can use Venusaur as setup fodder but will struggle against Tyranitar. +6 Dragon Ascent won't KO 248/0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)