Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ninjask: The Reptile, Yoshiblaze, Yahooboo
Shedinja: Squawkerz, Exploudit, The Reptile

any rules on self voting? If i break any i will easily fix

Ninjask: Pika Xreme, The Reptile, Yoshiblaze
Shedinja: Squawkerz, The Reptile, ScarfWynaut

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dammit. Stopped getting notifications. didn't get to submit :V

Any hints to the next slate? :3

Ninjask: Speny, The Reptile, Exploudit
Shedinja: Reviloja753, Squawkerz, ScarfWynaut

Next Slate Suggestions:

High Stats don't save you (High stats, but other crappy things)
Shaymin-Land
Hoopa-Confined
Cresselia

A bad trio (Only Azelf is half decent)
Azelf
Mesprit
Uxie

*Unnamed* (These mons caused a lot of trouble in game for many players, but aren't actually that good competitively)
Miltank (F*cks sake Whitney)
Spiritomb (Cynthia's Spiritomb.... Don't even get me f*cking started)
Kingdra (Forget Whitney, Claire and Juan caused so many problems. Double Team, Rest bullsh*t for Juan, and Smokescreen for Claire...)

Flying too close to the ground (The lower tiered regional birds)
Noctowl
Swellow
Fearow
Toucannon

No need to pick all of the mons for a slate, or to even choose these slates. They were only a couple ideas :V

Dammit. Stopped getting notifications. didn't get to submit :V

Any hints to the next slate? :3

Ninjask: Speny, The Reptile, Exploudit
Shedinja: Reviloja753, Squawkerz, ScarfWynaut

Next Slate Suggestions:

High Stats don't save you (High stats, but other crappy things)
Shaymin-Land
Hoopa-Confined
Cresselia

A bad trio (Only Azelf is half decent)
Azelf
Mesprit
Uxie

*Unnamed* (These mons caused a lot of trouble in game for many players, but aren't actually that good competitively)
Miltank (F*cks sake Whitney)
Spiritomb (Cynthia's Spiritomb.... Don't even get me f*cking started)
Kingdra (Forget Whitney, Claire and Juan caused so many problems. Double Team, Rest bullsh*t for Juan, and Smokescreen for Claire...)

Flying too close to the ground (The lower tiered regional birds)
Noctowl
Swellow
Fearow
Toucannon

No need to pick all of the mons for a slate, or to even choose these slates. They were only a couple ideas :V
Hoopa-Confined isn't really bad, it actually got a fair bit of support for C- on OU Viability ranks.
Cresselia and Uxie are both on OU's viability rankings too, they're really not that bad.

Hoopa-Confined isn't really bad, it actually got a fair bit of support for C- on OU Viability ranks.
Cresselia and Uxie are both on OU's viability rankings too, they're really not that bad.
Primarina is C something as well and it got optimized so this isn't strictly based on unranked OU Pokemon on VR. Obviously, we shouldn't buff Crescelia as much as we'd buff Spinda, for example but I see no problem on having those mons on a slate. As a side note I'd absolutely love to see the Regi Trio (or quartet?) in a future slate!

Edit - I support the Lake Trio as well

Last edited:
Voting is closed! The winners are... The Reptile's Ninjask and ScarfWynaut's Shedinja! Congrats guys!

Now for our next slate, we're going to be optimizing...

Slate #3: Articuno and Moltres

Zapdos is very viable in OU. In fact, it's ranked in the A- Rank, next to Pokemon like Latios or Tyranitar, OU staples. Zapdos has always been OU-viable, actually, ever since its inception. However, Articuno and Moltres never had that same luxury. Instead, they scrape for viability in NU [Articuno] and go between being great in RU, to rather poor in UU [Moltres]. But neither has ever been considered OU. Why is that? Let's fix it!

Ludicrousity – Thanks for your ideas! I'll use them in some future slates. I'm starting with just two Pokemon right now to keep things more in-line. Will be going to three eventually.

And since I never made it very clear, self-voting is allowed! You can vote for up to three submissions per Pokemon. Sorry for not making that very clear.

One more thing – Magic Guard is banned. Do not use Magic Guard for either of these Pokemon. I think it's a far too easy cop out. I'd rather see some more creativity, while also making them optimized in their own rights.

Thanks for the activity!!!

Articuno [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure | [HA] Snow Warning
Stats: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 85 Def / 100 SpA / 95 SpD / 125 Spe (BST: 580)
Added Moves: Calm Mind, Defog (legal with Snow Warning), Aura Sphere(?)
Summary of Changes: Rearranged it's stats

Articuno is definitely a victim of it's typing. Ice/Flying is one of THE worst dual typings in the game, with very few only 2 resistances, an admittedly useful immunity to Ground, and the killer 4 common weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to Rock when tealth Rock exists. It's typing sucks and it's not fair to Articuno.
However.
We've seen Pokemon like Charizard, Mega Pinsir, and Tyranitar have been able to overcome their crippling typing in order to become great. Articuno can do the same by filling a much appreciated niche that a fellow Pokemon with a horrible typing has: Aurora Veil. Aurora Veil HO is very good in the SM OU metagame and it's all because of 1 Pokemon's combination of Aurora Veil and Snow Warning, being Alolan Ninetales that allows for easy setup. Now, think about how viable another, possibly even better user could be? Enter Optimized Articuno. With rearranged stats and a new Hidden Ability in Snow Warning to go along with it's access to Aurora Veil, Articuno is a nice alternative to Ninetales. With 125 Speed, Articuno is one the fastest Pokemon in the tier, allowing it to safely get up an Aurora Veil against most foes. Articuno, much like Pelipper, gets U-Turn to immediately get in an Aurora Veil abuser, which can come very much in handy. Articuno also gets a good number of good moves to use to either threaten other OU threats or help the team like Freeze-Dry to hit Pelippers, STAB Hurricane to dent a lot of the tier, Haze to stop sweepers, Aura Sphere to take down Tyranitar, and Tailwind to boost the speed of Aurora Veil abusers. Overall, with a couple of good buffs, Articuno can now rule an archetype. Or at the very least, share the spotlight (Ninetales does have a couple things over Articuno (Mostly just Encore and Nasty Plot), so they can possibly coexist well).

canno

formerly The Reptile

Articuno [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure | [HA] No Guard
Stats: 90 HP / 90 Atk / 90 Def / 125 SpA / 100 SpD / 85 Spe [BST 580]
Added Moves: Calm Mind, Taunt
Summary of Changes: +5 Atk, -10 Def, +30 SpA, -25 SpDef

Despite what its old stats were oriented for, Articuno has historically always been used as an attacker to mixed results. Therefore, I focused on expanding its practical role, turning it into a powerful attacker. No Guard is very helpful to it, giving it fully accurate Hurricane and Blizzards to smack the opponent with. It has decent 90/100/90 bulk that lets it set up either an Agility or a Calm Mind depending on what you're running. Taunt and Calm Mind help it against stall-ish teams while Agility is more for offensive teams - even double dance can work wonders for it.

Moltres [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure | [HA] Regenerator
Stats: 90 HP / 100 Atk / 90 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 90 Spe [BST 580]
Added Moves: Earth Power, Superpower
Summary of Changes: n/a

In recent years, despite its strong flying STAB it has been outclassed by various Fire-types as an attacker. This is for various reasons, the main one being its severe weakness to SR and overall lack of coverage. I tried a couple of things to overcome this, the first being Regenerator. This fits it into a phoenix position lore-wise while allowing it to mitigate SR damage. You also get greatly rewarded for removing hazards, as Regenerator shifts from mitigating hazard damage to making it very hard to kill thanks to its pretty solid bulk. Coverage-wise it gains Earth Power and Superpower, which help it greatly overcome trouble Pokemon like Tyranitar and Heatran. Superpower also let it use its respectable 100 base attack to great extent.​

Articuno [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure / Delta Shield* [HA]
Stats: 90/85/100/115/125/85
Added Moves: Air Slash,
Summary of Changes: +20 Special Attack

*Delta Shield: Negates the weaknesses of the Flying type.
Basically Delta Stream without the weather-clearing effects, and it only applies to the user, and effects Pebbles, and not that much like Delta Stream at all.

Thanks to Delta Shield, Articuno's typing is no longer completely horrible. In addition, some special attack gives Articuno actual offensive presence.

Moltres [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure / Aerilate [HA]
Stats: 90/100/90/135/85/100
Added Moves: Hyper Voice
Summary of Changes: +10 Special Attack, +10 Speed

Hey, so you know how the Flying type has no good special STAB outside legendary signature moves and No Guard Hurricane? Moltres has Aerilate Hyper Voice now, giving it another way to circumvent that issue. Now Moltres is actually kind of scary.​

Articuno [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure / Delta Shield* [HA]
Stats: 90/85/100/115/125/85
Added Moves: Air Slash,
Summary of Changes: +20 Special Attack

*Delta Shield: Negates the weaknesses of the Flying type.
Basically Delta Stream without the weather-clearing effects, and it only applies to the user, and effects Pebbles, and not that much like Delta Stream at all.

Thanks to Delta Shield, Articuno's typing is no longer completely horrible. In addition, some special attack gives Articuno actual offensive presence.

Moltres [Optimized]
Abilities: Pressure / Aerilate [HA]
Stats: 90/100/90/135/85/100
Added Moves: Hyper Voice
Summary of Changes: +10 Special Attack, +10 Speed

Hey, so you know how the Flying type has no good special STAB outside legendary signature moves and No Guard Hurricane? Moltres has Aerilate Hyper Voice now, giving it another way to circumvent that issue. Now Moltres is actually kind of scary.​
To be fair it's quite justifiable to give the Birds Aeroblast since it's the move of their leader :P

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Articuno-Optimised
Abilities
: Pressure / Snow Warning
Stats: 90 / 75 / 90 / 135 / 90 / 140 (-10 Atk, -10 Def, +40 SpA, -35 SpD, +45 Spe) [Net Gain: +30]
Added Moves: Aeroblast, Calm Mind
Summary of Changes: I gave Articuno a stat spread that it's typing will actually benefit from. As an Ice / Flying type, it doesn't have much defensive pressure. However, it's defences are it's highest stat... In Optimons, I decided to go based off of it's type, and completely changed the stat spread, essentially making this an entirely new pokemon. With 135 SpA, and Hail Blizzard, it is a force to be reckoned with. It also gets Snow Warning Aurora Veil, which is quite nice if you want to try and make use of a shit defensive typing.

Also, did you a favour Wishes and changed the title :V​

WHY DIDNT I GET AN ALERT FOR THIS ;_;

Abilities: Pressure | [HA] Snow Warning
Stats: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 100 Def / 95 SpA / 125 SpD / 110 Spe [605 BST]
Added Moves: Taunt
Summary of Changes: +25 Spe

I'm obviously not first to this idea, but it's good nonetheless. Aurora Veil, which this thing gets naturally, is a pretty nasty move obviously so I gave it the ability to set it up immediately with Snow Warning. I also gave it a lot of speed and Taunt to allow it to function as a sort of suicide-lead or a good Aurora Veil setter. Whilst it has worse typing than Ninetales, it gets higher Speed and reliable recovery to compete. That's all.

Abilities: Pressure | [HA] Desolate Land
Stats: 90 HP / 80 Atk / 90 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 110 Spe [580 BST]
Added Moves: Taunt
Summary of Changes: -20 Atk, +20 Spe

Uncreative but effective. Moltres' typing is pretty good if it wasn't for the rocks weakness. Obviously that has to stay otherwise the Pokemon wouldn't be the same anymore, but I removed one of its other weaknesses in Water through the broken ability Desolate Land. It can go toe-to-toe vs a lot of Water-types in OU. It's a pretty good stallbreaker. With the weather it can 2HKO Sableye. With Fire Spin and Taunt it can trap and kill a ton of bulky Pokemon. The extra Speed puts it on par with the likes of Latios and Gengar, and allows it to outspeed things like Zygarde, Volcarona, Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, Mega Medicham. It's a real help. And most of its old weaknesses are still maintained.​

Articuno [Optimized]

Abilities: Pressure | [HA] Filter
Stats: 90 HP/ 80 ATK/ 125 DEF/ 100 SPA/ 125 SDF/ 85 SPE (605 BST)
Added Moves: Calm Mind, Defog (legal with HA), Aura Sphere, Icicle crash, Air slash, Aeroblast, Moonlight, Moonblast, Spikes, Light screen (why doesn't it get this og?)
Summary of Changes: -5 ATK, +25 DEF, +5 SPA

Articuno suffers from an incredibly awful typing in ice/flying. With 4 common type weaknesses, and a 4x weakness to SR, articuno definitely has trouble putting its best stats, it's defenses to use. In articuno's Gold pokedex entry, it states: "The magnificent, seemingly translucent wings of this legendary bird POKéMON are said to be made of ice." Now, this might be a far stretch, wouldn't other mons have trouble seeing a translucent enemy? That was my thought prosses when i was going to give it wonder skin, but I then decided that filter vaguely works with that entry, and provides a useful addition of kinda only having one weakness, allowing it to use it's better bulk to use now. It also recieves less SR damage entering the field. It now has a larger arsenal of moves to round out it's kit. You could run a bulky set with moonlight (or roost) and CM, a spiker, a screensetter, a bulky offensive mon, etc.

Moltres [Optimized]

Abilities: Pressure | [HA] Healing Flames (triage clone, exactly, just for lore purposes)
Stats: 90 HP/ 120 ATK/ 90 DEF/ 125 SPA/ 85 SDF/ 95 SPE (605 BST)
Added Moves: Brave Bird, Aeroblast, Flare Blitz, Fusion Flare, Beak Blast, Morning sun, Wish, Petal Blizzard, Air slash, Earth Power
Summary of Changes: +20 ATK, +5 SPE

Like articuno, moltres has a bad typing, a weak movepool, and a 4x weakness to rocks, all problems I had to try to work around. Unfortunately, it took too many moves to improve moltres's STAB and coverage, as it really lacked. So after i buffed up its movepool, I looked for a creative solution to rocks. I really did not want to just throw regenerator or an absorb ability on there, but I felt i needed to solve it. Enter the pokedex: "Ruby/Sapphire- MOLTRES is a legendary bird POKéMON that has the ability to control fire. If this POKéMON is injured, it is said to dip its body in the molten magma of a volcano to burn and heal itself." Perfect, if you take damage from rocks, you now have the ability to roost, morning sun, or with/protect off the damage. This also allows moltres to use its moderate bulk to pas fast wishes to teammates. The movepool expansion allows moltres to carry a vast amount of physical and special attacks, and works good as either type of attacker.

Articuno (optimized)

Abilitiy: Pressure | Permafrost (renamed Multiscale)
Stats: 115 HP | 65 Atk | 100 Def | 90 SpA | 125 SpD | 85 Spe (580 BST)
Added Moves: Calm Mind, Oblivion Wing, Taunt
Summary of Changes: +25 HP, -20 Atk, -5 SpA (±0 BST)

Articuno has a pretty bad typing, four pretty common weaknesses and only two resists, but Permafrost aims to fix that, for as long as you're able to keep Stealth Rock off the field for Articuno, it's gonna be a lot tougher to break it. The extra points in HP also helps it take hits better as well. Calm Mind, Taunt and Oblivion can allow it to be fearsome late game clearner à la Suicune if running Pressure, or in a brand new bulkier way if running Permafrost.

Moltres (optimized)

Abilitiy: Pressure | Heat Haste (renamed Chlorophyll)
Stats: 85 HP | 125 Atk | 85 Def | 135 SpA | 65 SpD | 85 Spe (580 BST)
Added Moves: Brave Bird, Earth Power, Extreme Speed, Flare Blitz, Sacred Fire, Taunt
Summary of Changes: -5 HP, +25 Atk, -5 Def, +10 SpA, -20 SpD, -5 Spe (±0 BST)

Moltres is now a powerful Sun abuser. It also has the added bonus of being versatile, as the opponent has no clue if it is physical or special, as both are viable. Physical sets have slightly less power, but a more reliable STAB movepool, with Sacred Fire, no doubt one of the best moves in the game, Extreme Speed and Brave Bird. While special variants despite having more SpA have only Air Slash as their Flying STAB and have to account for occasional Fire Blast misses, but they do have a lot more power on Fire Blast and Solar Beam + Earth Power as a great coverage options, hitting most 'mons that would take the Fire Blast.​

Abilities:
Pressure | [HA] Snow Warning
Stats: 90 HP / 55 Atk / 85 Def / 125 SpA / 125 SpD / 100 Spe [580 BST]
Added Moves: Aeroblast, Power Gem, Hydro Pump.
Articuno was decent in RBY thanks to having Blizzard having more accuracy but was held back by it's lack of speed. Articuno now has hail boosted blizzards and can use aurora veil effectively.

Abilities: Pressure | [HA] No Guard
Stats: 90 HP / 55 Atk / 100 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 125 Spe [580 BST]
Added Moves: Aeroblast, Beak Blast, Inferno.
Moltres was in a simiar situation to Actricuno were the only thing holding it back was it's lack of speed. But now it is able to out speed and burn well attacking giving it a niche that Charizard-Y can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)