Gen 3 Once upon a time....(2k)[Double RMT!]

Once upon a time, I decided out of nostalgia to take a look at Smogon after I passed out of high school. I wanted to see if the community was still as off putting to me now as it was to me earlier, and I wanted to see whether the idea of competitive Pokemon still made me cringe(In spite of my join date, I never really liked Pokemon as a competitive game, and I found the competitive side off putting, and the community to be elitist at first. I didn't really "fit in", so I never liked it; I never used PS/Shoddy/Netbattle or any of those things and my only prior experience with the competitive game prior to these two or so years,was a short spell on Pokemon Online(for 2 or 3 months which I grew out of...BW was irritating for me). I started playing a little from May 2014, and I found that the community was so much better than I gave it credit for. I slowly made a bunch of friends across a bunch of rooms ranging from CT(where I idle most of the time) to UU/and a few private rooms. I did a bunch of suspect tests, had a little fun with XY and then ORAS OU. I eventually got really into older gens(s/o Disaster Area, Contact, Cowboy Dan, Natural Talent, prozac , yuruuu, slurmz, Triangles ,Smurf., AM ) and I've learned that I stick around for a lot more than just this game.

UU is probably my favorite ORAS metagame overall, and I've made quite a few cool friends there. s/o to Cyndequil.. s/o to IronBullet for helping me a lot with my UU run last year, and usually being up for some testing/talking about UU in general. gj on voice sniperr , you seem like a really cool guy(gj on getting reqs btw) Sucks that mamoswine and some other irritating stuff exists but whatcha gonna do?

PS for me at this point is like coming home to the most comfortable couch, and knowing that your best friends'll be there. I essentially am a pretty nervous person, and I've had a lot of struggles to do what I do, and I'm really grateful for the fact that I have family, and a bunch of friends here. I have a rocky-ish personal life, and now that I'm in college(I'm an ECE/CS major at UMass Amherst) I'm able to appreciate having something steady a lot more. In a lot of ways....Smogon/PS! has become my irl and my social circle. This game basically has helped me become a lot more confident, and a lot more social than I used to be. So its been wonderful. Thank you Smogon!

Next on to the first team.I've been experimenting with moving away from the more traditional, and defensive teams that I tend to use, and I'm having much more fun because of it. This team is a decent balance build for ADV OU, that I'm looking to improve upon and optimize. The team members here synergize with each other nicely, and I have some form of counter play to most threats. Obviously it has its issues, which is why I'm here! It basically started with the idea that, waters in ADV OU at some point during midgame/end game tend to catch Explosions(I didn't use Swampert cause I was bored of it fsr), so I thought I'd make a team with two bulky waters to account for this. It's been fun albeit a tad weaker to Raikou/Zapdos(luckily most of them run HP:Grass now), and I've also been having trouble with Gar+Spikes, and Lax+Mag so far, CM Rachi is also a pain to deal with atm, and I'm tempted to toss on a Starmie or something at some point. My fren Contact helped me out with this ages ago so s/o to him, and yeah the team has some issues but it was a draft that I've come to really like! Swampert>one of the waters is also def something that could be considered!

Some music to listen to while looking at/rating the teams!

Salamence @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

This is one of the standard ADV leads along with Metagross/Tyranitar (milotic/pert are also leads but seen way less there). It does Salamence things like chip Swampert and other bulky waters throughout the course of a game, with HP:Flying(hopefully being aided by Toxic from Flygon), and provides a solid Heracross check, along with a source of immediate offense. CB mence has been a staple for the longest of times and its clear why.

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 64 SpA / 60 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Psych Up

This sets been fun, it basically lets me check most of the Calm Mind users in OU(dealing with Jirachi is harder). It checks a variety of things for me from Gengar to Zapdos, but is prone to getting chipped throughout the course of a game via spikes, and its leftovers recovery being nullifed in sand doesn't help matters. Psych up is still cool though. It tends to be pressured into bad rest cycles, and spikes pressure it, and it is always a prime explosion target for things such as Gengar, which opens me up to a bunch of special attackers. Duggy+CM'er also results in a similar situation.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Rest

Standard RoarCune, with some extra speed creep to get off roar first in mirror matches. Really solid mon, and exploits the hazards that I have on this squad. It checks a bunch of relevant things from Salamence/Tyranitar to Metagross and having a second bulky water in the back only helps matters! I'm considering Swampert so that I have less problems with things like Aerodactyl which has a tendency of landing lucky flinches at times to win; especially considering that I happen not to have anything like Metagross to help me out here(Skarmory also tends to get flinched zzz)

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Hypnosis
- Surf
- Recover
- Toxic

Double Status Milotic is fun; my friend introduced me to this and I've haven't stopped using it in ages. Double status is actually a reasonably rare but really effective set, and helps me further my game plan of chipping stuff along with Spikes/stuff that can pressure the opponent's team. Best thing about Milotic+a second bulky water is that milotic provides a really nice first look at mixed gross/mix mence/mix tar, and I don't mind losing one water TOO much.

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]

This team has a no attack Skarm, slow and spreads status around. heracross pressures it...so HP:Flying Flygon kind of felt necessary here. This along with Regice helps me check electrics throughout a game, and also helps me severely weaken Swampert by hopefully catching it with Toxic at some point during a game. This basically means I have a really tough time with teams built around stuff like Duggy+CM Celebi, explosion Gar+CM Celebi or HP:Ice Raikou and stuff.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Skarmory does...Skarmory things. Spikes+Whirlwind all round physical check, that can also status somethings. Spiking up versus Swampert is fun, and at times it can get an extra layer vs Magneton cause of the sp.def. Taunt also helps stop Forry and opposing Skarm from spiking up all over me. I should probably creep way more so that I'm faster than opposing Taunt Skarmory, but the team is crazy weak to Spikes yes. Also the fact that Immunity Curse Lax, doesn't lose to this means that I struggle in last mon scenarios vs it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This second team takes a much more aggressive approach to things, and I actually am really liking it so far. You have a Medicham so its automatically fun! This team actually play decently fast paced, and I'm having a blast with it so far :). You have lures galore and stuff that can exploit it, so this was really fun both to build, as well as to use!

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Its Jolteon, its the fastest lead bar none(Ninjask is irrelevant); and gets things off to a good start. I have Baton Pass to hopefully pass substitutes to my more dangerous team members, and in general this is a really nice cleaner as well if you have it around late game. Its also a really nice offensive gar,offensive electric(except for Raikou) check so there's that as well!

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Protect

I needed a bulky water, and was vacillating between Swampert and SubCM cune, but considering the need for a rock resist I ended up going with Swampert. Check a bunch of relevant things for me ranging from Aerodactyl, Salamence, Metagross and Tyranitar. Having Metagross+Swampert really eases my match up versus a bunch of things.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 20 Def / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion
- Psychic

MixGross+DD Mence or CB Gross+Black Belt MixMence, was another idea that I was toying with while building this team. I have Lum Berry here to help with Gengar, basically this helps open up the game for Jolteon/Salamence with HP:Grass+Psychic for hitting Gengar and stuff hard in general. Explosion is also always useful if I feel Gross has no other purpose for the rest of the game. MixGross with this EV spread is kind of weak though, so have been considering Psychic+HP:Fire Gross to make spiking on this team even harder, EVs live CB duggy EQ btw.

Medicham @ Choice Band
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Ball

This things a god. ADV has so little that switches into a proper CB Cham prediction properly; and I have substitute to hopefully let me get off really powerful Focus Punches(the fact that no attack skarm is the norm only helps). This thing is amazing, but I've been considering going for a subtitute set, which although its a little less powerful still severely pressures a bunch of ADV builds. I'm considering trying out Sub+3 attacks, or even lefties+4 attacks to make it a little easier for me though.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

MixGross helps this thing out so much. This checks quite a few things for me, the most relevant of which is Heracross, it has a good speed tier and it can clean at +1 assuming the stage has been set for it; which isn't too hard to do with the pressure the rest of the team puts on my opponents! MixMence with Black Belt actually works really well on this team, and again with HP:Grass paves the way for Jolteon/Mence so that's cool; I'll definitely be testing that out soon.

Snorlax @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
EVs: 124 HP / 68 Atk / 124 Def / 36 SpA / 156 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast/Self-Destruct
- Self-Destruct/Curse

another set I was introduced to by a friend. Fire Blast lax barely tickles Sp.Def skarm; while Curse+boom actually kills it; the coverage is coverage for Rachi/Gar; while the Lum Berry is just another thing to help me against gengar. The given EV spread is for the standard MixLax; while if its Curse Boom run,144 HP / 68 Atk / 132 Def / 164 SpD w/Adamant nature. This just trades vs w/e I want it to tbh; I personally prefer the Curse Boom set though c:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imports:
Salamence @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 64 SpA / 60 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Psych Up

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Rest

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Hypnosis
- Surf
- Recover
- Toxic

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Metagross @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 20 Def / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion
- Psychic

Medicham @ Choice Band
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Ball

Salamence @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Snorlax @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
EVs: 124 HP / 68 Atk / 124 Def / 36 SpA / 156 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
- Curse

Cyndequil. - One of my first friends on PS! ty for the music today btw n_n.RIP your anime addiction. Still an awesome user.
Hairy Toenail - 4-0 nail heheh
Eyan - Our esteemed RO, great to see you still around n_n
Peli - PelI, pelE, smelly peli, pelipper. I remember when you had a pelipper avvy :x. gj on everything so far man!
Contact - Man its been great knowing you. I'll try to skype you ASAP
Arifeen - Arimeme
obii - haha its been really nice to finally meet you. We finally got our adv game outta the way and hopefully there'll be many more. gj on your undefeated OUPL run!
paper dreams - you were again one of my first PS friends. saw you on smogtours again after ages. We should catchup sometime!
Ahabb - hopefully your tests are done now,so that you can play on PS! again
Nedor- ,,,good user, good team builder, again one of my first PS friends. been really nice knowing you canadian you.
Tyler0- maple syrup drinking ding dong
Starmei - weeb. stop being a weeb its bad
DaAwesomeDude1 - when is that dubs tutoring coming; fking john
Miang - waiting for that french lesson. -
Cowboy Dan - always a pleasure talking/playing ADV with you
yuruuu - yes myst; one of these days I'll win a game with that luvdisc team,,,,
slurmz - gj on room voice in ru man. Can't think of someone who's more up to test
Kreme - Its been amazing to see you mellow out over the past two years. gj dude, rly wanna call with watfor,cynde and you guys one of these days. also another esteemed RO
MrAldo - The wise old man of ct :^); also one of the three ro's of legend
Mahmudkipz -.....watfor? huehuehue. also ty for all the teams!
nv - gj on OTOm team man. Gonna talk to you way more often from now hopefully
Merlouvynis - grats on driver, I'm prolly super late though;
AM - now that you're gone who will meme with Toxic+Fire Spin ZardX :c
North Gate - even tho you're no longer ct staff you're still top 1 in my book; lets old gen sometime -
IronBullet - esteemed global who always lets me test x_x. gj on everything so far man! hopefully you start to build for this uu meta again at some point. Keeping fingers crossed for another suspect tho.
Disaster Area - w/e happened to you sucked no two ways about it. Its been awesome talking to you about older metas over skype tho
dwp - dude what happened? Last time I didn't see you for months something major happened? Hope w/e it is irl works out man.
Dragongroudon9 - bl0, kek.
Mysterious M. - you've come a long way man, here's looking at you going even further!
hyw - suggest some anime :x; also ty for the follow!
Ban Manaphy - hello fellow GSC'er!
p2 - fk p2; jk we'll def melee w/e i get a decent comp
cfdba - quality smasher, stay smashing :x. ALSO FK BAYO
ADustyGlommer - hope to see you again soon man n_n
Teamcali15 - its been fun merging ladder and stuff hehe; nice to see you wanting to learn older gens!
AllAttack - again one of my first PS friends; hope to see you on regularly again!~
ZANBAKUResh - quality singaporean user,,,,
gorex - ty for ru shit u_u;

s/o to all the rest of ct staff @Serapis,GradeAGarchomp and other staff who I've forgotten; and everyone else who've made PS such an entertaining place to be! here's to old friends and new ones!

c'est la vie smogon!

Last edited:
Hey Sunny,

These are pretty cool teams based around interesting concepts (I've done the two bulky waters thing b4 with Pert and Star, while Jolt SubPassing to Medicham is a pretty terrifying strat I've seen around). That said they do have a few issues with some common threats.

Team 1 is set up pretty nicely barring the Skarm weak - you have Fire Blast on two mons and a couple of other things but all of these have to predict to some degree to catch it, while your bulky water core struggles big time with two or three layers of Spikes down, which opens up other big threats - you probably want something more durable to deal with that. Psych Up Regice is also pretty cool and the double waters means that Rainmons / Starmie can't roll all over you either, that said, should Gengar (which you have nothing else to sponge and a lot of things that run from it) come in and boom, you are wide open for Special attackers (like Offensive Zap, Max Speed Celebi (which Flygon doesn't scare with it's current set)), and a few other things to take you to your grave. Lastly, Spikes in conjunction with Aero can be pretty terrifying, as it can flinch through weakened Cune and Milo in sand and Flygon doesn't have Rock Slide to emergency check it, which is an issue. I'm not going to say 'Use Pert' to handle this because not only did I read the part where you said 'I don't want to', but it makes you even more Skarm / Gar weak. To handle the trio, I'd probably say run a Toxic+Protect Magneton (which is a really sick set ngl), or a bulkyish Metagross - what helps is these two can cripple Pert and pressure other bulky Waters allowing Mence to clean lategame. The obvious mon to go should be either Flygon or Skarmory, probably Flygon, though it does open up a bit of a DDTar weak, you can make Mence Jolly to cover for that (also btw Mence covers Heracross well enough that you don't need HP Flying Flygon for it). Electrics suck but Regice can usually play around them well enough so you should be fine.

Team 2 has a really good set-up as well, I think you changed Cune to Pert which is good because that negates the huge Aero weak you had, as well as to a few other things. Overall synergy is good and I don't really have any suggestions since it has just about everything covered, nice going!

Last edited:
Ah Lord Ninjax ty for the rate man!

Like I said the first team is something I have genuinely been having trouble with refining like, Boom Gar+ p much any special sweeper wins; Taunt Gar+Spikes also beats it pretty badly, and it is severely weak to spikes because this super fast Skarmory trend has come up for some reason. I was wondering whether there was anyway hazard removal could fit without changing the tempo of the team too much? I've been pondering tossing on something like Jirachi(which also appreciates spikes) + maybe Starmie to spin? Also Duggy+Special attacker is another irritating matchup so far, for the first team at least; the tempo is a little off in that I give lots of turns to spikers(lead skarm has been irritating) so I've been considering Black Belt Mixed Mence as my lead for a little while, to give me something that can actually threaten the hell out of Skarmory. Bulky Gross sounds like a good fit, but Toxic+Protect Magneton sounds even better to beat both Magneton+Skarm and stop me from being spike stacker all over which probably reduces my crazy need for removal atm. Electric suck for this team sadly, and I agree Flygon/Skarm are the obvious mons to go out, I'll experiment with Flygon going out although that makes my Heracross weakness even more pronounced. I don't mind whole sale changes to the team, as long as you keep the central idea(which is double waters) and I don't even mind Swampert now tbh because Aero has been a bit of an issue so far. Thanks for the VERY in depth rate of the first and second btw, and now I'll move on to the second.

Team 2 overall is a way more solid setup, although even there I could stand to benefit from something like Black Belt Mix Mence. i like it a lot more in general though! We should get some games in one of these days man, especially since we'll be in the same timezone for a while now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)