OMPL V: Discussion Thread

Best of 3/5 averages out a lot better. I've only ever had a good record in 2 team tours, both of which I got to bo3 my opponents in. It really does make a difference as u basically saw me match up really poorly versus otherwise subpar stuff twice (that's how you ct me by the way, yw future opps). A lot of people told me I was being too critical of myself and how I'd perform before OMPL started, so haha proved you wrong I'm doing worse than u thought idiots.
This brings up a very relevant discussion for next OMPL, can we discuss how ass BO1 is? Several matches already have been decided by one shitty event and its week 2

Fardin

Tournament Banned
bo3 would be much better for ompl. some people would actually start considering to use real and solid teams instead of bad cts which they can blame their game on if they happend to lose. also bo1 wont really show who is the better man since anything can happen in it

Fardin

Tournament Banned
I mean OMPL is essentially bo6 compared to bo3 for OMGS; that's kind of the point of having a team tournament and an individual tournament. I disagree with extending it.
UPL tried bo3 this year, and i got to say...it looked much more competitve and fun

I mean OMPL is essentially bo6 compared to bo3 for OMGS; that's kind of the point of having a team tournament and an individual tournament. I disagree with extending it.
The entire point of OMPL is to showcase the top players (generally who proved themselves in GS) of OMs in competitive games. Its basically impossible to have a competitive BO1 in such a rng based game, so why not make it BO3 to fix that some? I see no disadvantages for it

E: this is also a conversation for a year from now anyways

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
The entire point of OMPL is to showcase the top players (generally who proved themselves in GS) of OMs in competitive games. Its basically impossible to have a competitive BO1 in such a rng based game, so why not make it BO3 to fix that some? I see no disadvantages for it

E: this is also a conversation for a year from now anyways
I would say the entire point of OMGS is to showcase the top players. We all obviously care about our individual performance/record but the "entire point" of OMPL is to have the better team. Luckily, since there are many rounds for OMPL each individual player's record should ideally stabilize to be around what it should be - that's just how probability works. Obviously with a BO1 there is no need to overreact to a single win/loss; anyone who is judging based on that is mistaken.

I think the advantage of BO1 is it makes for a more exciting match and allows for the occasional upset; think NCAA March Madness vs. the NBA Playoffs. Naturally, if you think you're the better player, you don't like losing to someone you see as inferior and you want to cast the blame on the BO1 set up. However I think OMGS is perfectly designed for maintaining competitive fairness to show ability whereas OMPL presents a different, exciting format where it's much more unpredictable and teams can be rewarded for picking a player who can snag a few unexpected wins against "better" players.

We don't need to turn OMPL into OMGS 2.0, what's the point of having the two different tours?

e: regarding the effect of BO1 on CTs: that's on players, not the format. I came ridiculously close to losing last round because I was so focused on building a "ct" for the bulky balance I was told illama would bring that I built a poor team that almost lost. We should all just build/play better and not freak out if we lose a match.

Last edited:
Took this from the week 2 thread, guys I just want to say please don't lie to users just because they're new it's really not nice
Yeah, I was so proud and all and now I wonder why I'm involved... and it's not even my team.

Go Blisseys!
We're drama free, stocked on memes and unsuspecting burns!

[14:49:11] Thimo: cata [14:49:13] Thimo: when plau [14:49:15] MegaSmashBrother: For a better mon [14:49:25] Harryninja69: ok [14:49:25] %Catalystic ❤: i'm at work ._. [14:49:26] Sir JaKrispy: What was the eater mon [14:49:31] Sir JaKrispy: *better [14:49:34] Thimo: stop playing mons at work cata [14:49:34] %Catalystic ❤: after i get home ._. [14:49:35] MegaSmashBrother: Anyone remember that Shiny Rayquaza event? I still have that Rayquaza [14:49:37] %Catalystic ❤: shh [14:49:39] %Catalystic ❤: it's comp sci [14:49:41] %Catalystic ❤: i'm productive [14:49:51] Sir JaKrispy: Cata what kinda sci [14:49:53] cromagnet: so cata v thimo is going down later today? [14:49:57] Thimo: nope [14:50:01] Harryninja69: i've missed all pokemon events [14:50:05] %Catalystic ❤: yes ._. [14:50:05] %Catalystic ❤: lol [14:50:07] %Catalystic ❤: oh wait [14:50:10] +Fardin†AG: wait [14:50:11] %Catalystic ❤: thimo and i are doing private battle on azure [14:50:12] %Catalystic ❤: obviously [14:50:15] +Fardin†AG: why not today [14:50:22] DonaldTrump654: you can still get shiny tapu koko event [14:50:24] Thimo: Fardin†AG bc hes home after the clock passs 12 [14:50:36] +Fardin†AG: he is on rn ._. [14:50:37] MegaSmashBrother: The event had my Rayquaza with all around EVS, and Outstanind potential [14:50:47] %Catalystic ❤: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen6anythinggoes-605605973 ompl [14:50:54] +Fardin†AG: gen 6 [14:50:55] +Fardin†AG: :I [14:50:59] %Catalystic ❤: wooo [14:51:00] +Fardin†AG: lul Catalystic
Somehow stumbled upon these courtesy of a friend

Catalystic
Thimo
antemortem

I guess less bias logs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)