Offensification (Hoopa-U BANNED)

I think defense boost should be lower one (makes sense, trying to cover it)

By the way, Focus Blast-Everything Machamp is a thing. It also has Fire Blast-Everything.

RUN EVERYBODY RUN!

Hmmm... let's raise a couple questions about this OM that I haven't seen effectively answered yet.
  1. Would a status move that boosts ONE attacking stat change which stat it boosts, based on the user's higher stat?
    • For example, would Tail Glow raise physical attack by 3 on a physical Manaphy?
  2. Would such a boosting move change which defensive stat is boosted?
    • For example, would an Overgrow Serperior using Coil raise Special Attack, Special Defense, and accuracy? Or would it raise Special Attack, Defense, and accuracy?
A very interesting idea overall; one I'd love to test out, when the opportunity presents itself...
Swords Dance, Tail Glow, all stat-raising moves that deal no damage are status moves, so all status moves are completely unaffected whether the user has higher Special Attack or Physical Attack. For now, at least.

No special-oriented coil for now, sorry.

The other related question is: if a change in stat stages makes your Special Attack higher than your Attack, for example, does that make your moves Special instead of Physical?

Sorry for the double post, but due to the support for Physical Quiver Dance, Special Coil, etc, I have devised a poll as I could not decide to input this feature myself.

The poll is found here: http://goo.gl/Q6Mxjp

If stat-boosting status moves would be affected by offensive stats, which Pokemon do you think would gain an advantage? In my opinion, there is the mentioned Special Coil Contrary Serperior, maybe Special DDance Latios and Mega Zard Y... maybe Physical Manaphy?

Thank you for reading!

I disagree with having status moves affected by the metagame. Some Pokemon are just not meant to have good boosting moves like that and it just pushes the bar too far imo. You start to get things like special SD Keldeo, special DD MegaZards, special Belly Drum Clefable, special SD Mega Sceptile, special DD Mega Altaria, physical CM Lando-I, special DD Latios running around. It kind of takes the offensification a bit too far imo (though that may be the point...)

Last edited:
I disagree with having status moves affected by the metagame. Some Pokemon are just not meant to have good boosting moves like that and it just pushes the bar too far imo. You start to get things like special SD Keldeo, special DD MegaZards, special Belly Drum Clefable, special SD Mega Sceptile, special DD Mega Altaria, physical CM Lando-I, special DD Latios running around. It kind of takes the offensification a bit too far imo (though that may be the point...)
except landorus already gets bulk up

So are you planning on making status moves that affect one particular category change as well, such as a Pokemon getting +Sp Atk, +Sp Def, and - Spe from Curse?
EDIT: Oh wait, everyone's already talking about this. I think it'd be a good idea though, as CM is the best setup move most special 'mons get. Very few get nasty plot, and almost none, if any, can use it viably in OU. Even less get Quiver Dance, requiring it to be Baton Passed by a Venomoth. It'd be nice to see them get the chance to set up for once.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how any of these are particularly more threatening than their Physical variants, in a meta where everybody is unconcerned whether an attack is on the wrong stat or an attack is a bad fit to a setup move's stat-ups. At most it makes some things like Mega Charizard X less predictable. (Whoops, it's Special Belly Drum Mega Charizard X, and I switched in my Physical wall, crap!)

Mega Houndoom
seems like an underrated threat in this meta. It has access to the most powerful specially offensive Sucker Punch AND Pursuit in the game (outside of niche picks like Life Orb specially offensive Zoroark or Ubers like Yveltal) thanks to STAB and 140 base special attack. With Nasty Plot to boost that stat further, Mega Houndoom feels a bit like Bisharp's specially offensive cousin, only it gives up Knock Off and Defiant in return for a more useful secondary STAB. I wouldn't recommend running both SP and Pursuit like Bisharp can sometimes afford to do, but you can either use it to force switches and Pursuit trap or decimate fast foes with Sucker Punch.

Also, Foul Play pretty much got a straight buff. If I'm reading the mechanic right, it checks the opponents attack but does damage as a special attack. Typically a Pokemon's highest defensive stat corresponds to their highest offensive stat (Rock and Steel types have high attack and defense, Psychic types have high special attack and special defense, etc.), with the other defensive stat being lower. In other words, Pokemon with high attack are more prone having low special defense, so Foul Play is usually doing more damage on the things you want it to hit. While rare, it is also more effective at checking Bulk Up, Curse and Coil users -- the defensive boost usually nullifies the attack boost when it comes to Foul Play, but here it will continue to do more damage as their accumulate more boosts.

After a week, the votes are in.
Stat-boosting moves are now officially affected by offensive stat.
Yes, we now have Physical Quiver Dance, special Dragon Dance, and all that jazz.
The OP will be changed soon, but if you really don't want this to happen, you can still vote against it till the end of the day (6 hours and 15 minutes from where I am now).
Thank you for all who voted!

Last edited:
Let's not get our hopes up, but due to the new change where stat-boosting moves are now affected by offensive stat, Physical Flatter is now essentially a toned down version of Swagger.
Physical Flatter is now on the 'Possible Suspects' list. It raises the opponent's attack by 1 (compared to the banned Swagger's 2) and confuses it.

Do you think Physical Flatter should be banned? And why?

Last edited:
Physical Flatter is, as you say, a weaker Swagger. I'd argue it should be banned just because otherwise it's something of a way "around" the Swagger ban.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
swagger wasnt banned because of the +2 on top of confusion, it was banned because with twave and foul play, not only can it hax itself a sub, it also can do ridiculous amounts of damage to teams with boosted foul play, and confusion damage being based on the users attack stat. and flatter even with 1 boost, can easily mimic this with 0 downsides other then "slightly weaker". imo banning it is probably the best for consistancy sake. flattplay actually HAS a abuser of it too, murkrow although not the best, can easily do swagplay with twave, foul play(i think it gets these right?) and flatter. so yeah...if there wasn't a abuser, id argue that its not as bad as swagplay(main reason swagger is gone), but...thats not the case really.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Silver Wind
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Hidden Power [Ground]
CB scizor with better STAB and extra coverage

Last edited:
Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Silver Wind
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Hidden Power [Flying]

CB scizor with better STAB and extra coverage
Bug Bite is just as good as Silver Wind. Likewise, HP Flying is pointless because Aerial Ace exists. If you want to take advantage of physical Technician Hidden Power, Electric or Ground seem like better choices.

Bug Bite is just as good as Silver Wind. Likewise, HP Flying is pointless because Aerial Ace exists. If you want to take advantage of physical Technician Hidden Power, Electric or Ground seem like better choices.
I was going to replace it with HP fire but your recommendations seem like better choices. Thank you.

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off

raichu is also surprisingly less shit.

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

mega camerupt isnt bad either.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance
- Return

special DD, EQ and Return are p sweet.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot
- Heat Wave
- Brave Bird

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Freeze-Dry
- Stone Edge

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Drain Punch
- Psyshock

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Outrage
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast / Scald

holy shit adaptability special gunk shot.

Tauros (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Flamethrower
- Rock Climb
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Psyshock
- Vacuum Wave
- Close Combat
- Shadow Ball

Persian @ Life Orb
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Frustration
- Thunderbolt
- Icy Wind

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Hone Claws
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Breloom @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Drain Punch
- Substitute

p much every physical water type w/ ice beam

Last edited:
Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

mega camerupt isnt bad either.
Earthquake doesn't benefit from Sheer Force.

And please stop double-posting. You can edit older posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)