Project NU Teambuilding Competition (Building: Hitmonchan + Scyther)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Approved by Erisia
Stole from the PU version
[insert art here]

Hello and welcome to the second edition of the NU Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced NU players go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose a core of two Pokemon (or only one Pokemon sometimes). It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! After the submission period is over (which will be about a week) I will announce the winner who may or may not be chosen by me. The team(s) that is selected winner will be put into a Hall of Fame I will be posting below, and the process will start again with a new core.

In case you decided not to read those two paragraphs, the submission process will last 1 Week. I would like to keep this thread moving; however, this is subject to change if people feel like they're being rushed.

Ground Rules:
  • Your post should not offend my sense of aesthetics and/or morals. Keep insane sprites to a minimum (please no anime clips of mons, basically) and nothing too huge. However, a few sprites of the team members would be helpful as a sort of overview, but it isn't 100% required ('-'). Overall, use common sense.
  • When posting a submission, keep both your team and your description in hide tags to minimize the amount of scrolling needed to get through a page. Nobody wants carpel tunnel due to your laziness.
  • Make sure you have a description of how the team works. We want to understand your though process through the creation of the team. It's fine and dandy if you spend an hour making your team, testing, reworking, and post it, but we don't need to spend the same amount of time figuring out how your team works.
  • Follow Wheaton's Law. This basically means don't insult other people if you think their team/certain set on their team are suboptimal. Instead, politely point it out like a civilized person so we can all be a bit happier. If you disagree with someone, discussion is encouraged.
  • Finally, be creative! Use unconventional mons and/or sets if you think they work the best for your team (please no outright memes though.) In other words, make cool teams!
Whew!

Teams currently being built around:
+

Submissions due Nov 17'th!!!

Hall of Fame

Last edited:

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Sleep Talk / U-turn / Hidden Power Fire
- Signal Beam
- Ice Beam

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 64 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight
- Worry Seed

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 200 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Liepard @ Choice Band
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Seed Bomb
- Pursuit

pretty standard team, specs sprit + tauros is one of the best offensive cores in the tier albeit very standard. not too much to say about the mons themselves, but mesprit has a pretty flexible moveset - sball is mainly for bronzor or specific situations regarding lix + some psych or ib resist that i cant really think of right now, sleep talk is good for vivi / lilli (i actually highly recommend this because i swear to god these 2 mons are the biggest pieces of shit to exist on this planet seriously), uturn is uturn, and hp fire is if you're afraid of ferroseed. mesp beats down nearly every bull answer and covers fightings so tauros can fuck shit up late game. gurdurr / plume / rhydon is basically standard glue, gives me answers to mostly every threat, although in some cases it is a momentum suck. liepard gives me much needed speed control, traps annoying ghosts that are difficult to switch in otherwise and knocking shit like clefs eviolite makes it much easier to deal with, overall good mon to deal with offense. not too much to say about this team, you can make gurdurr into hariyama if you are worried about fires but none of them come in for free so its not that bad to deal with. you'll def want to play aggro vs pyroar though, that things probably the most threatening.

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Healing Wish

Tauros @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Signal Beam

Barbaracle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Switcheroo

here's my tauros + mesp team. i went with specs mesprit with signal beam + healing wish since malamar is a bitch and i feel like heal wish is p useful sometimes. i decided to go with ferro+lanturn since they both take care of both special and physical water mons pretty well. went with colbur xatu as a soft check to fighting mons + helps w/ hazards. finished w/ scarf barb since i needed some kind of flying check and speed control. the team is fun albeit it might struggle against stall but oh well.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Figured I'd give this a try.

Tauros @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Lilligant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Sleep Powder
- Healing Wish

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

The team originally had Sub + Calm Mind Mesprit + T-Spikes, which looked really fun, but I lacked rocks so I had to change it :[ also originally had scarf barbaracle + quiv lilli but was weak to dd don

We've got Tauros + Scarf Lilligant + Spikes to weaken the team for a SD Samurott sweep late game. AV Hitmonchan provides a blanket check to things that annoy the team like Swellow and Magmortar, etc. and hazard control, specifically regular spikes. Mesprit provides Rocks and a little more speed control in Twave, but you can also run Signal Beam if Malamar is annoying, I haven't tested against one yet. Weaknesses include not having a dedicated normal resist or Electric immune, but this can be played around.

thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)