Not Broken Ubers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lot of discussion of which Ubers weren't really that broken in doubles in the What's Broken in Doubles? thread. Unfortunately, that was not the place for that, so let's try moving the discussion over heard and clear up that thread. The overall reasoning was that threats are much more manageable in this environment due to having two pokemon out at a time and more tactical moves to use.

Frequently mentioned pokemon included:
&

It was suggested that, being defensive behemoths rather than offensive, Lugia and Giratina-A would not be overwhelming forces in the metagame, but instead interesting support options.

Personally, I'm much more afraid of Lugia's Multiscale, Speed, Tailwind and dual screens. Giratina on the other hand? I could almost be swayed on that one. Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, Icy Wind, and Gravity+Telepathy isn't nearly as troublesome.

Are these pokemon manageable in doubles? Is there potential for something else to be unbanned?

...Has this been approved?

Imo, ChestoRest Giratina would be completely borked in standard doubles based on what I saw of it in Ubers Doubles. That's really all I have to say about this.

Well, these two are checked by high tiered threats such as Tyranitar, Thundurus(dat Taunt) and Kyurem-B(dat Terravolt Fusion Bolt).

I wouldn't be worried as much of dealing with them as I would be worried of them being so good that there is no reason to not run them. These two make semi-stall into a real thing which is great, but they may be so good that you feel obligated to run them on offensive teams as well.

Idk, assuming they don't get crazy new toys in gen 6, they might be candidates for a suspect test to test the waters and see if overcentralization occurs.

...Has this been approved?

Imo, ChestoRest Giratina would be completely borked in standard doubles based on what I saw of it in Ubers Doubles. That's really all I have to say about this.
Ah, fak. I looked at the doubles forum but I didn't see a rules topic. Who would I run this by?

Well, these two are checked by high tiered threats such as Tyranitar, Thundurus(dat Taunt) and Kyurem-B(dat Terravolt Fusion Bolt).

I wouldn't be worried as much of dealing with them as I would be worried of them being so good that there is no reason to not run them. These two make semi-stall into a real thing which is great, but they may be so good that you feel obligated to run them on offensive teams as well.

Idk, assuming they don't get crazy new toys in gen 6, they might be candidates for a suspect test to test the waters and see if overcentralization occurs.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Giratina: 378-446 (75 - 88.49%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Can't even OHKO with a Choice Band and no defensive investment on Giratina (apart from HP, which is obv gonna be on every Giratina set, offensive or defensive), and once it gets burned:

252+ Atk Choice Band burned Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Giratina: 189-223 (37.5 - 44.24%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Furthermore, Giratina can just switch if it gets Taunted, and:

252+ Atk Giratina Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 160-190 (44.19 - 52.48%) -- 19.92% chance to 2HKO

Physically Offensive Giratina can hurt Thundurus, while:

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Giratina: 128-152 (25.39 - 30.15%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Thundy can't even 3HKO with 252 EVs. Nothing can reliably handle this, every team would be forced to run things like Tyranitar, and even then calcs show that it alone would not be enough (especially when Giratina can just switch out to Hitmontop or such). "Over-centralizing" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah this wasn't approved, Not to mention all the main legends would be extremely broken in the Doubles Metagame as of now. No if and or buts about it. There isn't really even a point theorizing it.

Giratina Broke

Lugia More Broke

I'm surprised you didn't say Groudon so that sun can be more viable or something else ridiculous.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We MIGHT do like a Research Week to experiment with individual ubers, but theorizing how they will fare in our current metagame is pointless atm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)