Nonsense Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Prankster Porygon-Z with Nature Power
This is basically my favorite thing since I discovered it in AAA as it's just incredibly fun to use, especially if it succeeds (RIP no terrain). Basically it'd give Porygon-Z a priority move to abuse, which it heavily needs since its quite slow for an offensive Pokemon and too frail for a tank. It would give up some power, and it still has some problems so it'd be balanced, but this is a never before seen concept, which should be fun to test out. It'd still suffer from its reliance on Nature Power and that it's pretty hard to set up with its meh bulk. It's also weak to quicker priority and loses power with Prankster.

Edit: It can also act like a safety net as it gets Thunder Wave to abuse with Prankster :)

Luckily I checked the rules again and saw that you could only submit one per round. This sounds cool anyway as it gives Porygon Z a nice niche with it's special Extremespeed. I'd post more but there's really nothing more around it.

I think this follows the rules, but tell me if I'm wrong as the rules are pretty chaotic and I get why some people don't get them, though I think I do. (But please clear up what you can change and what not) Also I would like some people to submit more defensive stuff as most things so far are either OP stuff (Wonder Guard) or offensive (mostly priority, though this is too). I submitted this just because it sounds REALLY cool. (also better than Exeggutor with Prankster ;_;)

This is basically my favorite thing since I discovered it in AAA as it's just incredibly fun to use, especially if it succeeds (RIP no terrain). Basically it'd give Porygon-Z a priority move to abuse, which it heavily needs since its quite slow for an offensive Pokemon and too frail for a tank. It would give up some power, and it still has some problems so it'd be balanced, but this is a never before seen concept, which should be fun to test out. It'd still suffer from its reliance on Nature Power and that it's pretty hard to set up with its meh bulk. It's also weak to quicker priority and loses power with Prankster.

Edit: It can also act like a safety net as it gets Thunder Wave to abuse with Prankster :)

Luckily I checked the rules again and saw that you could only submit one per round. This sounds cool anyway as it gives Porygon Z a nice niche with it's special Extremespeed. I'd post more but there's really nothing more around it.

I think this follows the rules, but tell me if I'm wrong as the rules are pretty chaotic and I get why some people don't get them, though I think I do. (But please clear up what you can change and what not) Also I would like some people to submit more defensive stuff as most things so far are either OP stuff (Wonder Guard) or offensive (mostly priority, though this is too). I submitted this just because it sounds REALLY cool. (also better than Exeggutor with Prankster ;_;)
You get to change 3 things: Typing, one new Ability, and one new move. The reason this ended up happening, as opposed to the original Theorymons which only allowed one change, was that it seemed to me and DialgaTheTimeLord that a lot of potential was wasted by giving Pokémon a new typing or Ability without the move they really need. For example, Ghost/Dark Mega Banette that didn't get Swords Dance or Bulk Up, making it still just as weak of a Mega as it was prior. Or Flash Fire Gourgeist without Overheat or Flare Blitz to abuse it with.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You get to change 3 things: Typing, one new Ability, and one new move. The reason this ended up happening, as opposed to the original Theorymons which only allowed one change, was that it seemed to me and DialgaTheTimeLord that a lot of potential was wasted by giving Pokémon a new typing or Ability without the move they really need. For example, Ghost/Dark Mega Banette that didn't get Swords Dance or Bulk Up, making it still just as weak of a Mega as it was prior. Or Flash Fire Gourgeist without Overheat or Flare Blitz to abuse it with.
Okay I get that, but I was mostly wondering about the Typing. At some point in the OP it seems to state you can only change one of the typings at dual typed Pokemon. Later he changes it to a different single type. Is different dual type allowed and can you change single type into new dual type or single type?

Thanks for answering anyway! Anyway he should just make the OP a little more readable and not ten different colors in my opinion. (I can help if you want)

Actually, there's only one Wonder 'mon, but I see your point. l'll suggest people make more defensive 'mons.
Also, you can suggest any type, move, or ability, with only WG and HP having rules. Other types, moves and abilities are carefully looked at, but can be suggested.
Edit: regarding types, any type can be suggested. I'll check the post again for any inconsistencies, and make it neater.

Okay I get that, but I was mostly wondering about the Typing. At some point in the OP it seems to state you can only change one of the typings at dual typed Pokemon. Later he changes it to a different single type. Is different dual type allowed and can you change single type into new dual type or single type?

Thanks for answering anyway! Anyway he should just make the OP a little more readable and not ten different colors in my opinion. (I can help if you want)
I think you can change either or both of a Pokémon's typings. Otherwise, Water/Ghost Blissey would've been rejected outright.

canno

formerly The Reptile
I'm assuming we're in a new round, right?

Fire / Ground Snorlax with Storm Drain (over Gluttony) and Bulk Up.

Yay more defensive stuff! Fire / Ground with a Water immunity is a pretty good defensive typing, as shown by Primal Groudon in Ubers. However, it's not unbeatable - it still has a weakness in the form of Ground, and it takes a lot of hits neutrally. Still, it is a very good typing + ability combo, so I couldn't just let it get the best things ever. First of all, I chose Storm Drain over Dry Skin and Water Absorb since the latter 2 give Snorlax some form of recovery outside of rest. With Storm Drain it gets a (useless) Special Attack boost. Bulk Up is a minor boost over Curse, as it no longer needs to drop its speed to boost. Not the biggest deal though since Snorlax is pretty slow already but hey, now you can boost up and not get outsped by Shuckle so that's a thing. Plus, we need more defensive options on the plate - dont want to make it all offense all the time, right?

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Haxorus is now a Dragon / Water type with Water Veil (in place of Rivalry) and Aqua Jet.

Haxorus is now one of the best Dragon Dancers in the game, not just because of his stats or his new typing, but because Water Veil protects him from burns. This means that Scalds, Lava Plumes, and Will-O-Wisps, moves that most physical attackers fear, are now free switch-in opportunities to start setting up. Dragon / Water STAB coverage is pretty good on its own, and is only shared by Kingdra, who mostly prefers attacking specially. This new typing also removes its Ice weakness, adds a Steel resistance, and further reduces damage from Fire- and Water-type moves, all at the low cost of losing Grass and Electric resistances. As if these weren't enough, Aqua Jet lets Haxorus use a Swords Dance set more effectively, and he can get the jump on normally faster foes like Talonflame and Mega Lopunny.

Scrafty and Gallade are now Fairy/Fighting Scrafty gets Mold Breaker instead of Shed Skin and Gallade gets Pixilate instead of Inner Focus Mega Gallade with default pixilate also fairy/fighting and Scrafty gets Play Rough and Close Combat

Snaquaza

KACAW
Scrafty and Gallade are now Fairy/Fighting Scrafty gets Mold Breaker instead of Shed Skin and Gallade gets Pixilate instead of Inner Focus Mega Gallade with default pixilate also fairy/fighting and Scrafty gets Play Rough and Close Combat
You are limited to one entry per round. This would count as two. Gallade is illegal as well as it's above C+ on the Viability Rankings.

Anyway to make this post a little more meaningful. Gallade would be powerful with Pixilate. Too powerful in my opinion.
Scrafty seems cool and'll probably the one of these you submit (as Gallade is illegal) I think you're limited to one move though. Also you're underestimating Shed Skin. It gives Scrafty the ability to use Rest semi-reliably to keep setting up and specifically, status doesn't cripple it (usually). What does Mold Breaker do for it? Break Unaware? Fairy Fighting seems like an amazing typing though and Scrafty has some interesting moves and abilities so I'd be interested in how it turns out.

Ghost/Fairy Cofagrigus with Illusion and Moonblast.

Illusion is fun. Illusion on a pokemon with 3 immunities and is bulky enough to take hits is even more fun. The changes can help both defensive and offensive Cofagrigus: Defensive lost Mummy, but it can still do great at walling and can now lure threats in and cripple them with Illusion. The Fairy secondary type negates the Dark weakness, making Knock Off (slightly?) less of a problem; Offensive sets now have another STAB to take care of Dark types, and the immunities can give it more set-up opportunities.

Last edited:
The biggest thing that leapt out at me while constructing a team is that Regice gets Zap Cannon. Hell yes.

Haven't gotten a match yet though. Looking forward to it.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Virizion looks fun with its Fairy + Fighting coverage and typing, especially with Pixilate Return and Quick Attack.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Speaking of rounds, me and Ghoul King played some like right now. Pretty fun stuff

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-nonsensetheorymons-1112 - this is why you don't underestimate Sunflora. It is a threat, and you do not play around with threats. :p
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-nonsensetheorymons-1113 - Arbok almost clutches the game. Virizion's Frustration hits way too hard ;( Also Regice shows how bulky and strong it is. Also Arbok is weak
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-nonsensetheorymons-1114 - Switcheroo'd instead of attacking because lel scarf whirlwind and arbok is weak. Again, Regice flexes his bulk.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of these mons (specifically the ones me and Ghoul used) are weak to Megagross - Zen Heabutt and Meteor Mach / Bullet Punch kind of wrek things. It also outspeeds Virizion after mega and resists Quick Attack.

It gets BoltBeam and two perfect acc. status moves. This things gonna be pretty good for sure.
BlizzCannon, I'd say.

And I keep forgetting Zap Cannon is 120 BP. I always expect it to have 100 like Dynamic Punch. Nope, now it's stronger than Thunder. Yikes.

First impressions from my few matches with The Reptile.

Regice: Still deeply flawed, but potentially very powerful if used right. Vulnerability to Stealth Rock and Bullet Punch seriously hurts its case, and it's too slow to really pull off a Scarf role unless deployed very carefully. Rock Polish helps there, but it's no gamebreaker, which I'd wondered if it might be.

Arbok: Still really struggling due to its awful stats. Definitely neat, just for Thousand Arrows, which compliments nicely Poison offense, but struggles.

Virizion: Its Physical fragility and vulnerability to Bullet Punch is unfortunate, and it's in the amusing position of being a great counter to itself, with Quick Attack carriers able to reliably finish off non-Quick Attack carrying Virizion.

Sunflora: Still really sucks. Seriously, if a team can't take it down, the team is bad. This is even more true than for Shedinja. But unlike Shedinja, it can switch in on hazards, so it has wider utility as a way to force out set-up sweepers that can't touch it or other Pokemon your team struggles to push out, even if the enemy has hazards up, or just be used to block some kind of problematic hit in general, ie double switch via switching in Sunflora, and then switching in something that can take whatever will hurt Sunflora but not whatever Sunflora blocked in the first place. I quite like it thus far.

Delphox: I am consistently surprised by how hard it hits, and Ghost/Fairy is a good combination. I don't have a good idea of how effective it actually is though -at any rate, it can set Stealth Rock through Magic Bounce, so that's cool, and it's faster than all the existing Mold Breaker Stealth Rock setters.

Ice/Rock Mega Ampharos With Wonder Guard and Parting Shot

My idea with this was to make the ultimate pivot. Basically, you switch it in on a predicted attack that wouldn't be SE, and proceed to use either some sort of support move such as Thunder Wave or Heal Bell and then switch out with either Parting Shot or Volt Switch. As the opponent is forced to use a move that is super effective or switch out, you can easily bring in whatever counters that pokemon the best, creating a ton of momentum! Additionally, if you run a -speed nature with 0 speed IVs, you can absorb whatever status move that a defensive pokemon is using, allowing you to switch in allies without worries.

Ice/Rock Mega Ampharos With Wonder Guard and Parting Shot

My idea with this was to make the ultimate pivot. Basically, you switch it in on a predicted attack that wouldn't be SE, and proceed to use either some sort of support move such as Thunder Wave or Heal Bell and then switch out with either Parting Shot or Volt Switch. As the opponent is forced to use a move that is super effective or switch out, you can easily bring in whatever counters that pokemon the best, creating a ton of momentum! Additionally, if you run a -speed nature with 0 speed IVs, you can absorb whatever status move that a defensive pokemon is using, allowing you to switch in allies without worries.
I don't know... M Amphy may be too powerful for Wonder Guard. We'll see when decisions start. Also, unless we find a way to limit the amount of wondermons on a team, they'd start covering each other's weaknesses, resulting in endless battles V2 by switching constantly. I'll wait until Wonder Clause is in effect.

Last edited:
Ice/Ground Donphan with Icicle Crash and Clear Body

Ice gives it STAB on Ice Shard making it usable in OU, and Icicle Crash to make it be a good dragon counter. Clear Body helps prevent stat drops, which may lower Donphan's viability.

Ice/Ground Donphan with Icicle Crash and Clear Body

Ice gives it STAB on Ice Shard making it usable in OU, and Icicle Crash to make it be a good dragon counter. Clear Body helps prevent stat drops, which may lower Donphan's viability.
Mamoswine outclasses it in this case though, having better bulk, attack, speed and thick fat to help with its longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)