Noble Items

The razor fang is one of the items that is just going to be great
sand rush exadril and swift swim kabutops and dragonite are all very threatening with the boost they are just going to decimate entire teams(offense as a play style may be doomed)

Just a note but the someones destiny knot may need a one per team clause if its chosen because baton pass clause.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Just a note but the someones destiny knot may need a one per team clause if its chosen because baton pass clause.
Yep. I was thinking about adding an item clause in general, but that will be up for discussion after all (or most) items are done.

I just sat here and typed out effects for all of the items on this week's slate only to realize I was too late to throw my hat into the ring when it came to them. Maybe next time! I like this project, I wish I had been around since the start

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
I just sat here and typed out effects for all of the items on this week's slate only to realize I was too late to throw my hat into the ring when it came to them. Maybe next time! I like this project, I wish I had been around since the start
Fear not! A new slate will be made shortly(?), and in the meantime you can vote for this week's slate.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
The voting phase has ended! Thanks everyone for the wait!
Mind Plate |
The holder is immune against Status or Ability-induced Confusion, Embargo, Encore, Heal Block, Infatuation, Disable, Taunt and Torment. (by the someone)
Twisted Spoon | Tie between Tarontos and me.
Which submission is better in your opinion and why?
  • Tarontos: Pshycic moves hit the opposite side of the spectrum(like psyshock does)
  • The someone: If the holder is Psychic, it's offensive moves are calculated with the highest offensive stat and the opponent's defense for that move. (example for clarification: Gallade's Draining Kiss is calculated with it's attack and the target's Sp Def)
Odd Incense | Tie between Ghoul King and me.
  • Ghoul King: If held by Mr. Mime or Mime Jr, the holder's Defense and Special Defense increase by 50%.
  • The someone: If the holder is Psychic type, it's Psychic moves are super effective against Dark, Psychic and Steel types, but it takes super-effective damage from Fighting and Psychic attacks.
Destiny Knot |
Anyone who KOs the holder gets Cursed. (by Chopin Alkaninoff)

New Items for Submission:
(Note: Please try and do all if possible. Thank you.)
Rock slate
Stone Plate

Hard Stone
Rock Incense
Protector
Lagging Tail

you might want to swap whos twisted spoon is whos
Edit: I will be adding my stuff to this post

Edit:Stuff added
edit- equation for accuarcy changed to be more inline with rock type moves:rock insence changed
StonePlate
normal moves become rock type power boosted by 1.3 and have their accuracy changed to (.8*accuracy)*(10/(original power^.5))(for clarity everything over base 64 power gets a reduction everything below gets a boost)
the accuracy change reflect that the rock types low accracy in this case modeled after stone edge, granted some lower power moves get realy good accuracy
Users, mostly terikon- with rock type quick attack(and arceus with rock type extreme)
Hard Rock
Rock types holding this item take 1/4 damage from fighting,steel,grass,ground(just to clarify their typing does this so tyranitar would be neutral to fighting) and gain 1/16th health back a turn
make a rock a great defensive typeing
Tyranitar, Aggron,and afew others all enjoy this item
Rock Inscense--may be edited
power boosted by 1.5 consumed on use of a non recoil attack(physical/special) or attack/special attack stat boosting status move.(uses reckless recoil list, not consumed if the holder is dealt passive damage from hitting the user(rockyhelmet/roughskin/etc.))
sudowudo gets wood hammer so recoil moves get a boost
rock head areodactyl, reckless emoboar, rock polish tyrantrum, basically physical wall breaker the item
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 192-227 (54.5 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery(After a dragon dance)
Protector
boosts defense by 1.5, may only use either attacking(special/physical) or status moves each time it is out(So like a less restrictive choice item)
it is a protector and have you seen what it does to ryperior's defense
Tyranitar becomes impressively tanky, among others, basically just a physical assult vest
Lagging Tail
All moves above -1 priority(except for focusing) are set to -1(after abilities) power of all moves is boosted by 1.95(the same as stab plus life orb), can only use attacking moves
basically make you ungodly slow to deal absurd damage, perfect for analytic and power up punch/charge beam, could really let it start dishing out the pain

Mandated to support my own twisted spoon, but i can't help that the some ones is really similar to my own, and i personalty like the more versatile effect of the someones item better, on principle(i had planned on a similar(not identical) effect for life orb).
No opinion on Odd insence

Last edited:
The voting phase has ended! Thanks everyone for the wait!

Twisted Spoon | Tie between Tarontos and me.
  • Tarontos: Pshycic moves hit the opposite side of the spectrum(like psyshock does)
  • The someone: If the holder is Psychic, it's offensive moves are calculated with the highest offensive stat and the opponent's defense for that move. (example for clarification: Gallade's Draining Kiss is calculated with it's attack and the target's Sp Def)
Odd Incense | Tie between Ghoul King and me.
  • Ghoul King: If held by Mr. Mime or Mime Jr, the holder's Defense and Special Defense increase by 50%.
  • The someone: If the holder is Psychic type, it's Psychic moves are super effective against Dark, Psychic and Steel types, but it takes super-effective damage from Fighting and Psychic attacks.
Personally I prefer The someone's version of Twisted spoon because Tarontos' really only changes psychic to a more powerful psyshock, which isnt enough of a change to really make it worth it. The someone's would have a greater affect on the metagame and could lead to more usage of psychic pokemon. Alakazam would be especially impressive of this because it would expand his viable movepool immensely with access to the elemental punches and drain punch. You could custom tailor his and other psychic types' moves to provide you with optimal coverage for your team.
I also choose The someone's Odd Incense for basically the same reason. It would make psychic pokemon more interesting (would certainly make them a check for bisharp!! while being balanced out by other psychic types and priority moves like mach punch) and give them a unique flavor

Last edited:
Personally I prefer The someone's version of Twisted spoon because Tarontos' really only changes psychic to a more powerful psyshock, which isnt enough of a change to really make it worth it. The someone's would have a greater affect on the metagame and could lead more usage of psychic pokemon.
I also choose The someone's Odd Incense for basically the same reason. It would make psychic pokemon more interesting (would certainly make them a check for bisharp!! while being balanced out by other psychic types and priority moves like mach punch) and give them a unique flavor
My twisted spoon doesn't just change psychic it also changes zen-head-butt amoung others to special and any other psychic moves(i agree with you but misinterpretation is not good either way)

that's the problem with having the psychic type having a psychic move

Stone Plate | All contact moves do x0.7 damage to the holder and holder restores 1/16th of its health per turn. Holder takes x1.2 damage from noncontact moves
Flavor: People have been building fortifications out of stone plates (slabs) for thousands of years which are great against things like swords and what not but i susceptible to natural disasters and anything that can be launched over a wall that you have no way of escaping.
Competitive: This helps pokemon such as Blissey or chancey(if it wants recovery instead of eviolite) who can now take a hit for a change and could absorb special attacks with its immense special bulk. Also, fur coat furfrou would now be extremely usable as it would be able to take physical hits quite well. They would be extra weak to special attacks and take normal damage from moves like earthquake.

Hard Stone | The holder's stealth rocks cannot be removed from the field
Flavor: It says that it is a unbreakable or durable stone.
Competitive: It seems pretty obvious here. Magic Bounce suddenly gets a bigger niche. Hyper offense becomes even more viable. Its also just a great utility

Rock Incense | If the holder is a rock or ground type it cannot be statused
Flavor: Rich earthy smells have a relaxing and cleansing effect on people.
Competitive: It works like a reusable lum berry for rock and ground types. Dragon Dance sets on Tyranitar become more viable as well as sword dance terrakion. Walls like Hippowdon and Tyranitar would be better served at the expense of recovery. You could also feel safe switching in pokemon like the aforementioned or Landorous on pranksters such as sableye.

Protector | User sets-up a sub after switching in without the cost of health. (single use) The holder automatically sets-up a substitute at half the usual health cost every time it switches in. Item breaks if the user switches in to a field with Stealth rocks, spikes, or toxic spikes on it or if it doesn't have enough health to make the sub.
Flavor: its a protector that you could use as a shield or wall, like you do with a subsitute. Its said to be a protective piece of equipment
Competitive: Sub boosters like Gyrados or Volcarona now get a free sub that they can set-up behind free from statuses and allowed at least one free turn to set-up. would allow them to carry more moves for coverage. Could also serve a role slightly different but similar to that of focus sash for things like revenge killers. Really nice for walls also as long as you can keep traps away.

Lagging Tail | Holder's attack is increased x1.4 but its speed is decreased by x0.8
Flavor: its an incredibly heavy tail meant to slow you down but it could do some serious damage if you hit anyone with it.
Competitive: It gives a boost in between Choice Band and Life Orb but at the expense of speed instead of versatility or health.. Bulky physical attacks could salivate over this, especially ones with access to priority like Conkeldur. Alternatively you could fake a band with a pokemon like bisharp and due loads of damage on the switch or in general with Sucker Punch. A pokemon with Agility or Stone Polish could also make use of this, retaining the damage boost and fixing the loss in speed. Same with Dragon Dance users but to a lesser degree

Last edited:
My twisted spoon doesn't just change psychic it also changes zen-head-butt amoung others to special and any other psychic moves(i agree with you but misinterpretation is not good either way)
Sorry about that! I hadnt thought about that. Very few pokemon that get zen headbutt would prefer this over a band or Life Orb though. It would prove a nice niche on something like gallade especially or metagross but not at the expense of either of their megas

I apologize if this come out crass or derogatory it is not meant to.
RaidRover
Your hard stone-no, just no unremoveable hazards are definitely uncompetitive.(my opinion stealth rock doesnt need a buff it is literaly a more centralizing force than meggross in ou)
your lagging tail , look at muscel bands effect.(.67 speed 1.5 power) your item is preaty much directly out classed, you may want to consider more creativity (there is a reason mine is so extream)
your protector is broken, two regenerators/magic guard (passive damage from an item they are immune) using this item(pp stall core possibly using a relic vase holder to eat hazards,
and it fills a niche very simlar to silver powder based on your justifaction. (Silver powder creats a sub on switching in and is consumed in place of hp.( even with an item clause it is realy to powerfull)
(i would advise changing the protector entirely)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! So honestly, over the last couple of hours I've read over all 11 pages of this thread, and I have to say I love what you all are doing! I'd love to jump aboard and help out, since this is definitely one of the cooler, more viable, and most informative Pet Mods I've seen (I lurk a lot lol). All that said, here goes my effort at the Rock slate.

Stone Plate: Normal-type moves are changed to Rock-type and power boosted 1.3x.
Flavor: Magic plate lets you control rocks, but boy is it heavy!
Competitive: Consistent with prior -ate Plate design. I didn't create an accuracy modifier as with the given effect, Return totally outclasses Stone Edge and Rock Slide, boasting slightly higher power than the former (102 v 100) and perfect accuracy. So, boosting accuracy would be redundant.

Hard Stone: User's Defense is boosted +1 upon switch-in. Contact moves used on the holder cause 1/8 recoil (faux Rough Skin).
Flavor: A hard stone should be able to take a hit, right? Plus the stone looks sharp.
Competitive: Not necessarily outright better than Rocky Helmet since damage is 1/8 as opposed to 1/6, but pivots and walls would appreciate the raw, consistent boost to Defense. It could also see surprising versatility, as while Landorus-T laughs at physical attacks more than ever, things like Sand Rush Excadrill might appreciate it as a cushion against priority, while it would also virtually guarantee Tyranitar getting off a Dragon Dance. Punishes U-turn.

Rock Incense: User's Special Defense is 1.3x. Grants immunity to sandstorm.
Flavor: Incenses are calming, which is where the Sp. Def boost comes from. And if you're inhaling Rock Incense I think you're okay in a sandstorm lol
Competitive: A nod to the benefits Rock-types receive in their element. Didn't do 1.5x because then it's essentially a better Assault Vest. Nothing gamebreaking but handy for a few Pokemon. Pairs well with Dragonite's Multiscale for bulky sets, defensive Mew would be an even better mixed wall on Sand teams... I dunno, I think as it does seem relatively harmless there would be lots of ways to play around with it.

Protector: Grants immunity to hazard damage.
Flavor: Pretty self-explanatory, protects it upon entry to the battlefield.
Competitive: TONS of Pokemon would love this. Talonflame exchanges any offensive item for safe entry into battle, Clefable could run Unaware + Heal Bell while keeping virtual immunity to passive damage besides like Leech Seed and weather (and perhaps the rarely seen LO), but sacrificing passive recovery. Lots of room to play here.

Lagging Tail: Holder moves last. All contact moves do .8x damage the turn the move is used, and .5x typeless damage the next turn (from the tail).
Flavor: I feel like we shouldn't mess with its negative priority, as in-game flavor text does specifically state that it is heavy and slows the holder down. But, such a heavy tail would hurt to be hit with, right?
Competitive: This adds what is essentially a Life Orb boost but broken down over two turns. Neither hit is terribly powerful but it does play switching head games with your opponent. This would be very useful on bulky attackers, pivots and walls; really anything slow than can stay in for two turns. Tyranitar's Pursuit games are that much worse, defensive Landorus-T is doing MAD chip damage with U-turn and a Tail, especially if SR is up. Also helps against Sub users.

Hope you guys like!

Stone Plate: The holder's Normal type move becomes Rock type and lower the foe's Speed by one stage.
Flavor: Rocks are heavy, so it'll lower Speed if hits
Competitive: Most Rock types are slow (except maybe Aerodactyl and Archeops), so a Speed advantage is needed.

Hard Stone: If the holder is Rock type, it resist Steel and Grass moves and neutral against Water type moves.
Flavor: You're as hard as Steel now.
Competitive: You're basically Steel type now, but you still resist Fire because you're originally Rock.

Rock Incense: The holder's Rock type moves have 100 Accuracy and its Base Power becomes x1.3.
Flavor: You'll now have a magnetic Rock that chases your opponent.
Competitive: What does Rock moves usually lacks? Its Accuracy. This pretty much solves Accuracy problems in Rock moves, as well as adding its power.

Protector: Everytime the opponent hits the holder with a contact move, the Attack is reduced by one stage.
Flavor: Remember King's Shield? Treat it like King's Vest now.
Competitive: Useful to stop sweeps. Also a good item for Intimidate users for double Attack drop, no?

Lagging Tail: For three turns, your Attack, Special Attack and Speed are reduced by -2. In the fourth turn, increase your Attack, Special Attack and Speed by 4 stages, so that your Attack, Special Attack and Speed are at +2 if it doesn't have any additional stat changes. Then the item is consumed.
Flavor: What happened to you? Your brain lagged?
Competitive: Remember Slow Start in Regigigas? Its based on that, but five turns is too long, and this has additional boost so that its not a useless item.

Idk what should I choose for Twisted Spoon, but I guess I prefer the someone because it makes Gallade can Vacuum Wave I guess.
As for Odd Incense, I choose the someone because it makes Psychic types destroy Dark types, which is cool.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Always meant to try my hand at this, just never did lol. It looks like fun, throwing out crazy effects for items.

Stone Plate

Effect: Holder's Rock-type moves are increased by 1.3x (30%) and have their accuracy increased by 1.1x (10%).

Flavor: This is mostly because all the plates seem to be similar to each other, one way or another. Either an -ate like boost for Normal attacks or a boost to the actual type with an addition effect. The plate becomes a focus, helping improve accuracy as well.
Competitive: Partially helps with the poor accuracy of most Rock moves, and ups their power.

Hard Stone
Effect: Rock-type holders can only be damaged by direct attacks. Curse and Substitute on use, Belly Drum, Pain Split, Struggle recoil, and confusion damage are considered direct damage. Item breaks if holder is hit by a super-effective move.

Flavor: A very solid rock, that requires the most threatening attacks to break. Left unbroken, it's like a keystone that allows the holder to bear any damage except direct damage.
Competitive: Portable Magic Guard, but requires thoughtful play to actually maintain. Since it only works on Rock-types, which are already immune to Sandstorm, and vulnerable to Grass-types (meaning they would attack rather than Leech Seed or Toxic), some of the benefits become redundant/irrelevant.

Rock Incense

Effect: Holder's Rock-type moves are increased by 1.2x (20%). Non-Rock-types are immune to Sandstorm damage and have their Special Defense and Speed increased by 1 stage under a Sandstorm.

Flavor: Holder absorbs the essence of rock and sand, synchronizing with the sandstorm.
Competitive: Item keeps normal effect, but has additional benefits under Sandstorm. The Speed boost is less than the boost you get from Sand Rush, and you don't have an attack boosting item either, so it's pretty balanced.

Protector

Effect: Increase holder's Defense by 1 stage. Lower holder's Speed by 1 stage. Item cannot be lost due to another Pokemon's attack if the holder is a Rock-type.

Flavor: Heavy looking item, it'll obviously slow you down. Good luck knocking it off the holder, you would have to manually lift it off.
Competitive: A Knock Off item, but you still take full damage similar to Sticky Hold. Thankfully the Defense boost mitigates that.

Lagging Tail

Effect: Holder nearly always moves last with -7 priority multiplier and can only select damaging moves. Onix moves at normal priority. Doubles holder's Attack and Special Attack.

Flavor: It's Onix's tail, so it should benefit Onix the most (not that +2 Onix is that strong regardless, nor is base 70 Speed fast). Basically a Thick Club for all other Pokemon, at the cost of always going last. Think the sudden bursts of strength when one has something to spring from.
Competitive: Works best for tanks, since you really can't expect to sweep like this. The power isn't worth the cost otherwise. No setting up either. Effect just looks scary but the drawback makes it so much harder to use. Can replace Assault Vest on the bulkier users with more average power.

Last edited:
I personally prefer the Odd Incense and Twisted Spoon entries of Tarontos and myself. In the case of the Odd Incense because it's a really broken effect that allows Psychic types to skip coverage entirely in favor of just spamming Psychic and Psyshock (No Chansey is no answer) while backed by Calm Mind and recovery. The disadvantages are largely ignorable, since Psychic's resistances are pathetic and largely irrelevant, while the advantages are gamebreaking.

In the case of the Twisted Spoon the someone's entry, while creative, is also probably overly good. I'm in particular imagining Mew getting off a Swords Dance or Nasty Plot (It doesn't really matter which, so long as it holds onto its item) and then killing literally everything with anything. Even bringing in Unaware isn't necessarily all that helpful, since Unaware Pokemon are usually much stronger in one defensive stat than the other, and this auto-punishes that -bring in Quagsire and watch it suffer egregious harm from Special Knock Off or whatever. It also has problems in terms of working out how it actually works -if the Twisted Spoon holder is Burned, what moves have halved damage? The moves that are natively Physical? Everything if the user is Physically weighted? Everything if the target is Physically defensive? No, seriously, what happens?

Whereas Tarontos' entry is much more straightforward/not probably overpowered.

Stone Plate: The holder's Normal type moves become Rock type and have an increased critical hit ratio.
Flavor: Cutting stone.
Competitive: Combine with Focus Energy for 100% crit rate. Note that Tyranitar and Rampardos both get Focus Energy.

Hard Stone: On switch-in, the user hurls the Hard Stone at the opponent. This is a 50 BP, 100 Accuracy Rock type move (It can get STAB) with a 100% Flinch rate, and consumes the Hard Stone.
Flavor: It's a rock. They throw it. What do you want from me?
Competitive: One-time perfectly safe switch-in. Also gives more incentive to consider running Recycle.

Rock Incense: Any Status move the holder uses additionally attempts to set Sandstorm. (It will fail in the face of Desolate Land, Primordial Sea, and Delta Stream) The holder is immune to Sandstorm.
Flavor: Some kind of rocky gritty scent rising out of the... whatever-it-is...
Competitive: An alternative angle on a Sandstorm-specialty item. Most obviously beneficial for Pokemon with Abilities that benefit from Sandstorm -Sand Rush Excadrill can Swords Dance and get its Sand Rush boost, Hippowdon might actually run Sand Force, etc.

Protector: The holder's Defense is doubled, but their Speed is quartered. Cannot be removed.
Flavor: Heavy armor is heavy. And melds to your skin or something, going by Rhyperior.
Competitive: An excellent tool for many already-slow walls, whether to exaggerate their realm of specialty or cover their weak point, and doubles as a Mail for Trick-blocking etc.

Lagging Tail: The holder moves last in their priority bracket, but their damaging contact moves force-switch the target. Moves with a priority above 0 still move last in their bracket, but don't force-switch the target.
Flavor: DRAGON ONIX TAIL IS BIG AND KNOCKS YOU OUT OF THE RING.
Competitive: Universal Circle Throw/Dragon Tail with actually good moves and superior priority (Even if you're slower you'll still force-switch Skarmory before it Whirlwinds you), but dependent on holding an item. (But not stupid-broken)

Ghoul King
How does U-turn work in conjunction with lagging tail? (i am specifically asking if you pick what to send in before or after the opponent is sent out)

And just a note but my rock incense has been edited to have more to do with recoil moves
and the equation for accuracy on my Stone plate has been changed slightly(.8*initial accuracy)*10/(square root of initial power)
This change brings the accuracy to (80 for base 100, 92 for base 75, and 103 at base 60)

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Stone Plate: Holder's punching and kicking moves become Rock-type and have their base power multiplied by 1.5.
Flavor: A throwback to Fist and Icicle Plates, and Stone Plate seems like the best plate for making brass knuckles out of.
Competitive: Rock-coverage on a lot of Pokemon. And accurate Rock moves (even one that doesn't miss). Machamp gets basically STAB Dynamic Punch that works as a wonderful coverage, and Tyranitar's elemental punches hit like a truck.

Hard Stone: If the holder is a Fossil Pokemon, the holder's Rock Polish also triggers Softboiled upon use.
Flavor: The Hard Rock is treated like a fossilized Egg with a careful polishing, while the user also polishes itself.
Competitive: It's great for offensive and defensive Fossils for different reasons. Bastiodon gets recovery, and the incredibly frail Rampardos gets a chance to set up. Plus the bulky offensive Pokemon inbetween the two like Armaldo and Tyrantrum benefit as well.

Rock Incense: If the holder is Sudowoodo/Bonsly, they take half damage from Grass, Water and Ground attacks.
Flavor: Super petrified wood... and stuff...
Competitive: Sudowoodo's signature item, so it should make it more viable.

Protector: If the holder starts the turn with less than 50% HP, they're protected, and the item completely heals Rock-types. Consumed after one use.
Flavor: Protective-rock thingy that protects(duh) and that can be absorbed as a super-rock armor thingy.
Competitive: Allows Sturdy users to effectively do anything in 3 turns even with the most overwhelming force in the other side. Being protected and able to set up or attack is very overpowered, but it only works once and leaves the user itemless, so it's probably balanced.

Lagging Tail: Allows Onix and Steelix to hit twice, with a second hit being 30% of the first.
Flavor: The item looks like a little Onix.
Competitive: Buffed Parental Bond for this poor diamond snake... Steelix can lower the opponent's speed twice with Bulldoze and Rock Tomb. And I don't think we have to worry about Power-Up Punch being a problem.

RaidRover
I agree with Tarontos in relation to Lagging Tail and Protector. They're too similar to some of the previous items.

Draco Blue
Thanks. :)

I personally prefer the Odd Incense and Twisted Spoon entries of Tarontos and myself. In the case of the Odd Incense because it's a really broken effect that allows Psychic types to skip coverage entirely in favor of just spamming Psychic and Psyshock (No Chansey is no answer) while backed by Calm Mind and recovery. The disadvantages are largely ignorable, since Psychic's resistances are pathetic and largely irrelevant, while the advantages are gamebreaking.
I mostly agree, but I wouldn't say Odd Incense is that overcentralizing. It leaves the user vulnerable to any priority move (Alakazam's nightmare), plus it takes super-effective damage from Sucker Punch, Mach Punch and the less common Shadow Sneak. Plus, the fastest Psychic type, Alakazam, is so frail it barely gets a chance to use status moves without support. Some mons like Starmie would actually need some priority users to effectively deal with it. There's always Taunt-effect, super-effective E-Speed/Quick Attack or Honey to stop recovery+Calm Mind. And Sucker Punch, among other things with Knock Off effects. Spell Tag Shadow Sneak also seems like a great check if Starmie decides to run only an offensive move, which is tempting for it.

In the case of the Twisted Spoon the someone's entry, while creative, is also probably overly good. I'm in particular imagining Mew getting off a Swords Dance or Nasty Plot (It doesn't really matter which, so long as it holds onto its item) and then killing literally everything with anything. Even bringing in Unaware isn't necessarily all that helpful, since Unaware Pokemon are usually much stronger in one defensive stat than the other, and this auto-punishes that -bring in Quagsire and watch it suffer egregious harm from Special Knock Off or whatever. It also has problems in terms of working out how it actually works -if the Twisted Spoon holder is Burned, what moves have halved damage? The moves that are natively Physical? Everything if the user is Physically weighted? Everything if the target is Physically defensive? No, seriously, what happens?
I was originally going to specify that status changes would only affect the moves they originally did, but since I was travelling, I had to remember the item effect off the top of my head to post it before the end of the submission phase, and I ended up forgetting about that... Oh well, it can only be changed (if it wins) in a revision stage at this point.
Oh, and in the case of the user being specially oriented, no move would have their damage lowered. If the user was physically oriented, all of their moves would be weakened.

Last edited:

tysequaine

80% sexy, 20% disgusting
Stone Plate
Effect
: Holder's Rock-type moves deal 1.3x damage and the holder takes 0.5x damage from physical attacks. The item breaks if it is hit by a neutral or super-effective contact move or any Fighting-type attack.
Flavor: Keeping with the general consistency of increasing damage based on the type of plate, this also adds a bit of dimension to it.
Competitive: Played right, it can take your attacking Pokémon to impressive new levels. Played wrong, and you lose your attack and defensive boosts to the first priority move your enemy throws at you. Playing it safe would be key here, it's an item that a few Pokémon might rely on to survive, but you don't even need Knock Off to get rid of it. Arceus would find it the most beneficial, to the point where it may even become broken: a plate held by Arceus can't be removed, so Arceus' defensive and offensive power could be difficult to push through in its Rock form.

Hard Stone
Effect
: Holder's moves that boost Defense have their effect doubled. Harden instantly raises the user's defense to +3. If the move Rollout is used after a Hard Stone-boosted Harden, it deals 3x damage instead of 2x. (Single use)
Flavor: It's an unbreakable stone, it seems fitting to boost defensive power.
Competitive: Potentially lethal on Pokémon with moves such as Coil and Bulk Up, but only if used at precisely the right moment, as it disappears after the boosting move is used. Also useful for Cosmic Power users that want that large burst of Defense right away. Rollout has the potential to be an incredibly powerful force if you can't get in the way of its momentum in time, but can be walled by any resistant Pokémon with a protecting move. Users of the move Cotton Guard would also find themselves near-impervious to physical attacks after use, but their Special Defense would still be vulnerable.

Obviously potentially broken, but you guys can be the judge of that. I think the effect suits the item well, however, even if it has to be toned down.

Rock Incense

Effect
: Applies the effects of Stealth Rock to the opponent's team when the holder enters battle. The effect is not affected by abilities such as Magic Bounce or the move Magic Coat, but the holder can only use status moves while it is being held. This item cannot be switched away by Trick or Switcheroo, it can be removed by Knock Off, however.
Flavor: It's a jar full of scented rocks, it'd be easy to throw them all over the opponent's side of the playing field.
Competitive: Putting this Pokémon into play ensures that the opponent gets a healthy layer of rocks. However, the Pokémon you give this item to becomes Taunt bait. You could easily switch into a Magic Bounce user with a Relic Vase to make any user of this item (except for one with Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt) redundant, and the inability to use direct attacking moves makes it impossible for the holder to provide offensive pressure while still being able to set free unblockable hazards. Users of Baton Pass and/or stat-boosting moves would be able to use this item to potentially reset the momentum of the match if they're brought in against the right foe.

Protector

Effect
: Holder's Defense is increased to 1.5x, but its Speed is reduced to 0.5x. If the holder is a Rhyperior, its Defense is increased to 2x.
Flavor: A simple physical Assault Vest effect couldn't be placed on a more deserving item. That said, the actual text of the item states that it is "extremely stiff and heavy." It made sense to forgo the disabling of status moves to opt for a cut to speed.
Competitive: Will provide any Pokémon with the ability Regenerator with a very useful Defense buff, as well as not limiting their movepool to attacks only. The speed cut would also provide utilisers of the move U-turn (Mienshao, Tornadus-Therian) with the opportunity to preserve momentum, provided the opponent has over 50~60 base Speed.

Rhyperior, with this being its evolutionary item, would be that much closer to literally being a tank. Slow, able to sponge almost any physical hit, with brutal attacking force. However, it would still be incredibly weak to any Grass- or Water-type special attack, which would make it particularly easy to revenge, even by slow special attackers.

Lagging Tail

Effect
: Holder's tail-based moves have their effect or base power doubled. Additionally, any moves with a priority of 3 or lower have their priority set to -8. This item cannot be removed by Switcheroo, Trick, Fling or Knock Off.
Flavor: A slow, heavy tail should only be carried if it can provide you with phenomenal power.
Competitive: Aqua Tail's base power becomes 180. Iron Tail's becomes 200. Dragon Tail? 120 base power and a forced switch. Tail Glow instantly raises your Special Attack to +6. This item is not to be taken lightly, but also requires a lot of support to utilise well. This item forces you to play carefully, as any Dragon Tail, Whirlwind or Roar user will be able to phase you before you are able to even attack with your insanely powerful moves or 4x Special Attack. You also open yourself up to very easy revenge kills, provided you don't attempt to set up on a Pokémon that can knock you out in 2 hits. Like all of the moves on this list, smart play is key, with the rewards being incredible for those who utilise them well, and the drawbacks being lethal if not.

I mostly agree, but I wouldn't say Odd Incense is that overcentralizing. It leaves the user vulnerable to any priority move (Alakazam's nightmare), plus it takes super-effective damage from Sucker Punch, Mach Punch and the less common Shadow Sneak. Plus, the fastest Psychic type, Alakazam, is so frail it barely gets a chance to use status moves without support. Some mons like Starmie would actually need some priority users to effectively deal with it. There's always Taunt-effect, super-effective E-Speed/Quick Attack or Honey to stop recovery+Calm Mind. And Sucker Punch, among other things with Knock Off effects. Spell Tag Shadow Sneak also seems like a great check if Starmie decides to run only an offensive move, which is tempting for it.
I'm concerned less about the fast Psychics and more about, say, Slowbro.

I will admit I hadn't specifically considered the utility of some of the other items, but that just leads into stuff like Alakazam running Knock Off over Psyshock to counter its theoretical counters.

And a big part of my point about the movepool advantage is that, unlike a Restalk Suicune or the like, the biggest disadvantages of running mono-attacker or even merely two offensive moves almost completely vanish. Yes, you can Taunt Alakazam to block it from spamming Calm Mind+Recover, but that doesn't change the fact that its offense will always be neutral or better off of one move, which means it's not really Taunt bait if it runs mono-attacker because you can't then punish its restricted offense.

At least no Psychic type Sticky Hold Pokemon exists...

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Thanks everyone who posted their ideas and submissions!
Now it's time to vote!

First Choice:UserX
Second Choice:UserY
Third Choice:UserZ
The First Choice gets 3 points, second gets 2 and third gets 1. The user with most votes will have their submission added into the project itself.

normal moves become rock type power boosted by 1.3 and have their accuracy changed to (.8*accuracy)*(10/(original power^.5))(for clarity everything over base 64 power gets a reduction everything below gets a boost) - Tarontos
All contact moves do x0.7 damage to the holder and holder restores 1/16th of its health per turn. Holder takes x1.2 damage from noncontact moves - RaidRover
Normal-type moves are changed to Rock-type and power boosted 1.3x. - Draco Blue
The holder's Normal type move becomes Rock type and lower the foe's Speed by one stage. - Chopin Alkaninoff
Holder's Rock-type moves are increased by 1.3x (30%) and have their accuracy increased by 1.1x (10%). - WhiteDMist
The holder's Normal type moves become Rock type and have an increased critical hit ratio. - Ghoul King
Holder's punching and kicking moves become Rock-type and have their base power multiplied by 1.5. - the someone
Holder's Rock-type moves deal 1.3x damage and the holder takes 0.5x damage from physical attacks. The item breaks if it is hit by a neutral or super-effective contact move or any Fighting-type attack. - Sanctuary

Rock types holding this item take 1/4 damage from fighting,steel,grass,ground(just to clarify their typing does this so tyranitar would be neutral to fighting) and gain 1/16th health back a turn - Tarontos
The holder's stealth rocks cannot be removed from the field - RaidRover
User's Defense is boosted +1 upon switch-in. Contact moves used on the holder cause 1/8 recoil (faux Rough Skin). - Draco Blue
If the holder is Rock type, it resist Steel and Grass moves and neutral against Water type moves. - Chopin Alkaninoff
Rock-type holders can only be damaged by direct attacks. Curse and Substitute on use, Belly Drum, Pain Split, Struggle recoil, and confusion damage are considered direct damage. Item breaks if holder is hit by a super-effective move. - WhiteDMist
On switch-in, the user hurls the Hard Stone at the opponent. This is a 50 BP, 100 Accuracy Rock type move (It can get STAB) with a 100% Flinch rate, and consumes the Hard Stone. - Ghoul King
If the holder is a Fossil Pokemon, the holder's Rock Polish also triggers Softboiled upon use. - the someone
Holder's moves that boost Defense have their effect doubled. Harden instantly raises the user's defense to +3. If the move Rollout is used after a Hard Stone-boosted Harden, it deals 3x damage instead of 2x. (Single use) - Sanctuary

power boosted by 1.5 consumed on use of a non recoil attack(physical/special) or attack/special attack stat boosting status move.(uses reckless recoil list, not consumed if the holder is dealt passive damage from hitting the user(rockyhelmet/roughskin/etc.)) - Tarontos
If the holder is a rock or ground type it cannot be statused - RaidRover
User's Special Defense is 1.3x. Grants immunity to sandstorm. - Draco Blue It's very similar to Nugget (and partly to Smooth Rock, but sandstorm immunity isn't the main focus of either) so this might be subject to change.
The holder's Rock type moves have 100 Accuracy and its Base Power becomes x1.3. - Chopin Alkaninoff
Holder's Rock-type moves are increased by 1.2x (20%). Non-Rock-types are immune to Sandstorm damage and have their Special Defense and Speed increased by 1 stage under a Sandstorm. - WhiteDMist
Any Status move the holder uses additionally attempts to set Sandstorm. (It will fail in the face of Desolate Land, Primordial Sea, and Delta Stream) The holder is immune to Sandstorm. - Ghoul King
If the holder is Sudowoodo/Bonsly, they take half damage from Grass, Water and Ground attacks. - the someone
Applies the effects of Stealth Rock to the opponent's team when the holder enters battle. The effect is not affected by abilities such as Magic Bounce or the move Magic Coat, but the holder can only use status moves while it is being held. This item cannot be switched away by Trick or Switcheroo, it can be removed byKnock Off, however. - Sanctuary

boosts defense by 1.5, may only use either attacking(special/physical) or status moves each time it is out - Tarontos
The holder automatically sets-up a substitute at half the usual health cost every time it switches in. Item breaks if the user switches in to a field with Stealth rocks, spikes, or toxic spikes on it or if it doesn't have enough health to make the sub. - RaidRover Too similar to Silver Powder. Sorry!
Grants immunity to hazard damage. - Draco Blue
Everytime the opponent hits the holder with a contact move, the Attack is reduced by one stage. - Chopin Alkaninoff
Increase holder's Defense by 1 stage. Lower holder's Speed by 1 stage. Item cannot be lost due to another Pokemon's attack if the holder is a Rock-type. - WhiteDMist
The holder's Defense is doubled, but their Speed is quartered. Cannot be removed. - Ghoul King
If the holder starts the turn with less than 50% HP, they're protected, and the item completely heals Rock-types. Consumed after one use. - the someone
Holder's Defense is increased to 1.5x, but its Speed is reduced to 0.5x. If the holder is a Rhyperior, its Defense is increased to 2x. - Sanctuary

All moves above -1 priority(except for focusing) are set to -1(after abilities) power of all moves is boosted by 1.95(the same as stab plus life orb), can only use attacking moves - Tarontos
Holder's attack is increased x1.4 but its speed is decreased by x0.8 - RaidRover Too similar to Muscle Band. Sorry!
Holder moves last. All contact moves do .8x damage the turn the move is used, and .5x typeless damage the next turn (from the tail). - Draco Blue
For three turns, your Attack, Special Attack and Speed are reduced by -2. In the fourth turn, increase your Attack, Special Attack and Speed by 4 stages, so that your Attack, Special Attack and Speed are at +2 if it doesn't have any additional stat changes. Then the item is consumed. - Chopin Alkaninoff
Holder nearly always moves last with -7 priority multiplier and can only select damaging moves. Onix moves at normal priority. Doubles holder's Attack and Special Attack. - WhiteDMist
The holder moves last in their priority bracket, but their damaging contact moves force-switch the target. Moves with a priority above 0 still move last in their bracket, but don't force-switch the target. - Ghoul King
Allows Onix and Steelix to hit twice, with a second hit being 30% of the first. - the someone
Holder's tail-based moves have their effect or base power doubled. Additionally, any moves with a priority of 3 or lower have their priority set to -8. This item cannot be removed by Switcheroo, Trick, Fling or Knock Off. - Sanctuary

Send your votes to me via PM.

To keep this thread active in this phase, here are some questions
  • Are there any items you want to see in the next slate? (Types only, we've got Fairy, Normal, Grass and Electric left)
  • Which entries for this week do you agree/disagree with? [Remember: Be to the point and decisive, no hate]
  • Are there any new possible strategies/sets that can be made with the last week's items?
  • What Pokemon take advantage from those items?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

I'm concerned less about the fast Psychics and more about, say, Slowbro.
Well, the slower the user is, the easier it is to find a Pokemon to OHKO or revenge-kill it. Bulky Psychic types are more of a problem if you don't have a move they're weak to (or an attacker of the other spectrum). Assault Vest Conkeldurr outspeeds and 2HKOs Slowbro (using suggested sets with EVs and everything in the damage calculator), but MegaAerodactyl's Stallbreaker set needs to be at +2 to 2HKO Slowbro.

I will admit I hadn't specifically considered the utility of some of the other items, but that just leads into stuff like Alakazam running Knock Off over Psyshock to counter its theoretical counters.

And a big part of my point about the movepool advantage is that, unlike a Restalk Suicune or the like, the biggest disadvantages of running mono-attacker or even merely two offensive moves almost completely vanish. Yes, you can Taunt Alakazam to block it from spamming Calm Mind+Recover, but that doesn't change the fact that its offense will always be neutral or better off of one move, which means it's not really Taunt bait if it runs mono-attacker because you can't then punish its restricted offense.

At least no Psychic type Sticky Hold Pokemon exists...
True.

Are there any items you want to see in the next slate? (Types only, we've got Fairy, Normal, Grass and Electric left)
Fairy!

Are there any new possible strategies/sets that can be made with the last week's items?
Since we haven't gotten a final statement on the Twisted Spoon and Odd Incense, I'm skipping those.

The Mind Plate is a stallmon's dream item, blocking pretty much everything that can interfere with their stalling. (Excepting being Tricked a Choice item or Assault Vest) I can readily imagine Chansey being largely supplanted by Blissey holding a Mind Plate, just because it's not Taunt or Encore bait, and if you lose your item you have better bulk than Chansey does when losing its item. It might not replace Leftovers for tons of stallmons, but it will definitely see use.

The Destiny Knot is a relatively mild spite tool, whose most notable advantage is that it can act as a hard-stop on an uncontrolled sweep, since the sweeper is now on the clock. I suspect it won't see much use, though, since it demands the holder be sacrificed to get any use out of it, and the payoff is relatively minor anyway. It seems more like a "I can't think of a better item to give my Pokemon" choice, and there should be less of that going on in Noble Items anyway, making it even less appealing.

Last weeks items
Mind plate: pretty generically useless(in the best way) in that nothing will use it all of the time, so when it is used it will likely be surprising. or maybe on leads.

Destiny knot: will likely only see use on suicide leads, to help garner momentum. besides that i can't see much unless you feel like using this on a trapper, or pairing the user of this with a trapper. I can't think of any other uses off the top of my head.\

edit i think most leads would prefer silver powder.

Random question- would mind plate counteract honey, through virtue of a taunt immunity?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)