Nintendo Switch

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah: Game Gear was far superior but had crippling battery issues. PSP competed with PS in games and DS had the Nintendo titles everyone wanted to have in portable (Zelda, Pokémon games, etc.) Who wants a PS Vita when you can play Ocarina of Time in 3D?! Nintendo has had the upper hand on portable devices since the GB due to their IPs, they've worked hard on that, too. It's fun to see they made the same mistakes Sega did with the Saturn over a decade ago, and a little bit like Dreamcast. Seems companies don't learn from the past?

Yeah: Game Gear was far superior but had crippling battery issues. PSP competed with PS in games and DS had the Nintendo titles everyone wanted to have in portable (Zelda, Pokémon games, etc.) Who wants a PS Vita when you can play Ocarina of Time in 3D?! Nintendo has had the upper hand on portable devices since the GB due to their IPs, they've worked hard on that, too. It's fun to see they made the same mistakes Sega did with the Saturn over a decade ago, and a little bit like Dreamcast. Seems companies don't learn from the past?
One look at Steam Greenlight will tell you that's true. Before the video game crash, almost everyone made videogames. Think I'm exaggerating? There was a game called "Chase the Chuck Wagon" which was made by Purina, who make dog food (and did even then). They let anyone publish anything with no regard for quality control. Look at Steam Greenlight now - it's exactly the same.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's fun to see they made the same mistakes Sega did with the Saturn over a decade ago, and a little bit like Dreamcast. Seems companies don't learn from the past?
Difference is though that Nintendo is sitting on a fairly high amount of cash that they made off the Wii and the DS, so they can afford to hold on for a while longer. Back when the Saturn/Dreamcast transition was around and the Saturn was a flop, Sega was basically bleeding money and their profit was never enough to make up for the severe loss and expense of money their mistakes cost them. The Dreamcast was actually pretty successful after launch and sold really well within the time period it was in production. Its low lifetime sales come from the fact that it was killed off early (like about a year and a half later or so) since Sega couldn't really afford to continue production of the Dreamcast any longer as the money expense from the mistakes regarding the Saturn and the two Genesis add-ons (which confused a hell of a lot of people and damaged trust of consumers with Sega) was far too great, and the consumer and money factors had taken far too much damage at that point for Sega to really carry on any longer in the console business. Sony had basically wiped the floor with them and killed them off for good with the PlayStation. If the Nintendo Switch manages to gain traction, Nintendo can hope to hold on. At the same time though, if it DOESN'T gain traction, then Nintendo will wind up in a very shaky position with regards to their hardware market.

The Nintendo Switch is actually a pretty neat concept and Nintendo is actually marketing this thing fairly well, so it has potential to sell pretty well if it captures a good audience like the Wii did. It's a console/handheld hybrid, and Nintendo handhelds have a history of being very successful (even the 3DS was a fairly quiet success), not to mention they have very successful IPs (Mario and of course, Pokemon being the leading IPs of Nintendo). Even the Wii U itself is modestly popular in the west (it's selling miserably in Europe and isn't doing that well in Japan, where its console market is just meh right now). So the Nintendo Switch definitely has a decent shot at being successful since there is an audience out there for it, and they're handling the marketing of the Switch much better than they did the marketing of the Wii U, so this thing actually has a shot. I'm pretty optimistic about it since it has such a cool concept and looks like a REALLY AWESOME console, but I'll have to wait a bit. That said, this is a do-or-die situation for Nintendo, they better not mess this one up or their position will be very shaky from here on. I'm hoping the Switch manages, because it looks so awesome and bears such an interesting concept, especially for one like me who loves both handheld and console gaming.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
*necro bump*

"Don't forget to also tune in on Friday, 13 January at 4am to find out more about Nintendo Switch in the NINTENDO SWITCH PRESENTATION 2017, live from Tokyo."

This is UK Time so... Adjust accordingly I guess?

It's interesting how my opinion of the Switch has changed somewhat since it was announced; granted it just seemed to be more gimmicks built on other gimmicks, but I can sorta see the value now. The tablet/controller aspect gives it some very nice portability, and unlike the Wii U (which largely is gathering dust for me due to lack of interest and disuse, I really should sell it off), the Switch would be a lot nicer for the traveling that I seem to do these days. I've also liked the other similar Nvidia products (I own the shield portable which is great for streaming off my PC...when it cooperates and wifi stops being a bitch...and for roms).

I guess my sorta wishes for the Switch:

-Announce that it can play 3DS games after all. Yes I know they originally said it won't, but honestly? There's no reason it should be able to with some emulation effort on their part. Unless you're that overworried about canibalization, letting the Switch play 3DS carts would greatly expand its library and appeal. I'd love to be able to play Pokemon and other games on the TV like the Switch could allow in this regard.

-Streaming, not that I actually stream, but again it would expand its appeal a decent bit.

-Not an actual wish that Nintendo would ever allow, but I'm hoping someone will be able to hack it in the future to allow it, as its powered by Nvidia, to enable all those GEForce goodies like streaming normal games from the PC, Nvidia streaming services, etc. I mean, 1 device that can access my PC library and play Nintendo current stuff, that would be a dream console for me.

I mean at the moment I'm most interested in the 3rd party support. The inclusion of From Software in that list says to me that the Switch will get at least a Dark Souls 1 port, not to mention games like what looks like Skyrim and Pokemon Stars (whatever that may be). However, it is important not to forget that the Wii U was promised large amounts of 3rd party support that it never received, but I'm not too concerned because by the sounds of things it'll be easier to port games to the Switch due to the GPU. My main worry is that they don't market it well and third party support drops off due to low sales.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Are we allowed to discuss leaks here?
Like, I'm hoping this forum isn't as strict as the Orange Island ones.

It's interesting how my opinion of the Switch has changed somewhat since it was announced; granted it just seemed to be more gimmicks built on other gimmicks, but I can sorta see the value now. The tablet/controller aspect gives it some very nice portability, and unlike the Wii U (which largely is gathering dust for me due to lack of interest and disuse, I really should sell it off), the Switch would be a lot nicer for the traveling that I seem to do these days. I've also liked the other similar Nvidia products (I own the shield portable which is great for streaming off my PC...when it cooperates and wifi stops being a bitch...and for roms).

I guess my sorta wishes for the Switch:

-Announce that it can play 3DS games after all. Yes I know they originally said it won't, but honestly? There's no reason it should be able to with some emulation effort on their part. Unless you're that overworried about canibalization, letting the Switch play 3DS carts would greatly expand its library and appeal. I'd love to be able to play Pokemon and other games on the TV like the Switch could allow in this regard.

-Streaming, not that I actually stream, but again it would expand its appeal a decent bit.

-Not an actual wish that Nintendo would ever allow, but I'm hoping someone will be able to hack it in the future to allow it, as its powered by Nvidia, to enable all those GEForce goodies like streaming normal games from the PC, Nvidia streaming services, etc. I mean, 1 device that can access my PC library and play Nintendo current stuff, that would be a dream console for me.
I really hope they have a way to make 3DS games playable.
No backward compatibility doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view.

PS4 and Xbox One didn't have backwards compatibility, and they still sold. I hope they continue and improve on the Virtual Console, as that was an accessible way to play the classics. Sill, looking forward to Friday's reveal.

I will be buying one, the Wii-U was a disappointment although I still enjoyed it. Breath of the Wild looks incredible.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The Nintendo Switch press conference will be live in about half an hour, come watch it:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
300 USD is going to be like 400 CND. I think I'll just wait till a price drop, especially with paid online now, the one reason to play Nintendo online...

At least it isn't region locked anymore.

Also 1 2 Switch is trying so hard not to be called Wii Sports Switch & ARMS, what kind of name is that? There's still going to be more so lets hope something actually good is in this.

EDIT: New Mario looks really cool despite the weird hat. Zelda is as amazing as ever. Xenoblade just went anime, Fire Emblem idk I hope its not shit but it likely will be, then idk about the rest.

Last edited:

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I was honestly very disappointed by the presentation. I love the way the new Mario game looks, and Arms looks okay, but the lack of a confirmation of a Smash port is inexcusable. Hopefully their morning presentation will be much better.

Super hyped for Mario Switch and Fire Emblem Warriors, though Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Zelda Breath of the Wild also pique my interest. My only disappointment is that a lot of games look like they are just beginning development, which means they can be canceled at any time.

Not a great presentation and it looks like the only major launch title is Zelda BotW which is also for WiiU. No backwards compatibility is disappointing, as is paid online and $300 base price for the console especially given that you'll need to shell out another $50 or so to play it with a proper controller. Most of the games look w/e or basically just putting names out there, including the SMT game that's so early in development they haven't even decided on a title and what will probably be No More Heroes 3 (and the recent Scalebound cancellation goes to show that games can be a lot further along in development than some of these seem to be before getting cancelled). Skyrim is a great game but it's more than 5 years old and has been on 5+ systems already, it's not exactly the sort of thing you'd bring up when trying to hype people up for a new console unless you're really reaching.

On the other hand, Mario Odyssey actually looks great and has a release window, and region free is a plus, so it's not all bad.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
New Xenoblade mainstream title, yes please. Even if it does look like a Tales game, I am so happy and it looks super gorgeous (aside from the WE ARE ANIMEBLADE NOW thing).

The new Mario game looks amazing, and it probably will be great as all of the 3D Mario games have been. Disappointed that you have to pay for online now, but it was always going to happen eventually. No one cared when Sony decided to start charging for online.

At the above post, Amazon UK are selling it for £279.99, which is over £100 cheaper than the PS4 and Xbox One were at launch.

Will be picking one of these up, probably not right away, but some time this year. Breath of the Wild looks staggering.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I know a lot of people who liked the presentation more than other presentations.
But I am slightly disappointed on how Nintendo Switch doesn't come with in-built games, unlike the 3DS.
However, I like how it's not region locked.
I might buy my first ever American Nintendo console as Nintendo Switch (I don't want to read all the Japanese for settings and maintenance things)

I might also buy multiple language copies for future Monster Hunter games, so I can play with both my Japanese friends and my British friends.

I was going to wait at least a year to get the Switch to see which really cool game was going to come out.

Then I read that Puyo Puyo Tetris is arriving in (at the very least, after seeing what Amazon says) June.

Now I'm hyper-hyped.

I'm getting a Switch as soon as that thing is released. I stopped caring about literally every other game that was announced, as Puyo Puyo is my favourite game, closely after Pokemon.

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm a bit iffy on the new Mario game, the combination of realistic and cartoony elements doesn't really suit Mario and the city stage is probably the worst offender having properly proportioned humans. A sandbox Mario game is an interesting thought, though, so I'll give it a chance even if I do have my doubts.

BOTW, the only other game I've seen yet looks amazing though, both from a gameplay standpoint and visually. Stuff like this really shows how much love and care Nintendo puts into their products, needless to say I have high hopes for this one.

On the price however, while I think it is a bit high especially since I bought a WiiU not too long ago I don't really know any of the technical specifics of the console or whether it actually warrants the price tag. Even so I'll probably hold out for a price drop or something.

I'm a bit iffy on the new Mario game, the combination of realistic and cartoony elements doesn't really suit Mario and the city stage is probably the worst offender having properly proportioned humans. A sandbox Mario game is an interesting thought, though, so I'll give it a chance even if I do have my doubts.
I think the only thing that is off putting is the people really. Everything else in my opinion looks very fitting in a Mario setting. Just my observation, it seems much more in line with a traditional 3d mario game rather than a 3d world layout just judging it from the look. I am happy to see this return.

Reactions: DTC
Shame that the initial price will be moderately high and that online play won't be free anymore but, as someone else has already said, we kind of had to expect that would happen eventually.
The Joycons, for someone used to the Gamepad, look really, really tiny, but it's probably just a matter of getting the hang of it (and not to press the Home button instead of B/A with your right thumb).
ARMS looks rather nice, but Splatoon 2 can have all of my hype, though. From the (roughly) 1 and a half minute trailer we can already see that rollers are back and have sacrificed flick area coverage for more range, the new dual guns are very nimble and look like a pain in the arse to deal with (and will probably drain your ink gauge like crazy: better get those Ink Main subs ready), one of the new subs is a ricocheting-"seeking-less" seeker (which i'm already in love with), the new supers are over-the-top AoE moves, story mode is probably back with a vengeance (octarian army + mysterious grey(?) squid) and, most importantly, you can customize your inkling's HAIR STYLE now! That, is a game changer!

Let's hope the .xx Gals haven't been nerfed to oblivion ;_;

Last edited:
This company is so unbelievably ass-backwards that I only just learned you'll need a smartphone app to use voice chat... which starts as a "free, limited version" of the app.

I still pre-ordered one but will consider selling it if I see or hear confirmation of limited stock.

The release of this console was too spiritually motivating for me to put in text format so I put it in video format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)