Nickname discussion

I've always used the nicknaming function as a time to embrace creativity lol and to give a few laughs. When I played D/P/Pt I'm pretty sure that was my favorite part of the game, being able to come up with a clever 11 character name.

Just did an electric ultimate monotype, might as well share my nicknames

FireRed:
Live Wire - Raichu
Spiky - Jolteon
Powerup - Magneton
Zapdos - Zapdos (legendaries are too unique to need nicknames)

HeartGold:
Lightray - Ampharos
Pika Pika - Pikachu
Burgess - Lanturn (this one might be a bit obscure)
Raikou - Raikou

Omega Ruby:
Bolt - Manectric (unofficially called Disney's Bolt)
Proton - Plusle
Electron - Minun
Splodyhead - Electrode

Platinum:
Leonidas - Luxray
Atronach - Electivire
Acorn - Pachirisu
UFO - Magnezone

Black:
Zapp - Zebstrika
Levia - Eelektross
Lamprey - Eelektrik
Spyder - Galvantula

Y:
Apollo - Heliolisk
Acrobat - Emolga
Leyline - Dedenne
Sleepy - Flaaffy

Just did an electric ultimate monotype, might as well share my nicknames

FireRed:
Live Wire - Raichu
Spiky - Jolteon
Powerup - Magneton
Zapdos - Zapdos (legendaries are too unique to need nicknames)

HeartGold:
Lightray - Ampharos
Pika Pika - Pikachu
Burgess - Lanturn (this one might be a bit obscure)
Raikou - Raikou

Omega Ruby:
Bolt - Manectric (unofficially called Disney's Bolt)
Proton - Plusle
Electron - Minun
Splodyhead - Electrode

Platinum:
Leonidas - Luxray
Atronach - Electivire
Acorn - Pachirisu
UFO - Magnezone

Black:
Zapp - Zebstrika
Levia - Eelektross
Lamprey - Eelektrik
Spyder - Galvantula

Y:
Apollo - Heliolisk
Acrobat - Emolga
Leyline - Dedenne
Sleepy - Flaaffy
Leonidas for a Luxray feels very appropriate, as it's a lion Pokemon, and Splodyhead is perfect for sheer ridiculousness!

I found this website which I sometimes use for nicknames when I am stuck. It is called 'The Name Rater.' People submit nicknames and the Name Rater moderator write comments, the majority of which are actually really negative and harsh! You should read them (http://pkmn.net/?action=rater)
Oh god, this site. It takes me back. Pkmn.net (back when it was just pkmn.co.uk) was the first Pokemon site I ever joined. I submitted a number of names. Here are two of mine that I was able to find. They changed servers and most of the old ones had their users submitted blanked out so most of old ones were gone.

Lanturn
Name: Sieman
My Description: A Siemen is a unit of electrical conductivity. Also, it sounds sea men. Since Lanturn is a water/electric type, I think it's at least more clever than the other nicknames submitted for it.
Name Rater's Reply: More clever, but when the competition consists of 'fishy', even 'Lol' would be more acceptable..

Smeargle
Name: O. Prime
My Description: Because he can Transform and Rollout
His Reply: One day I'll wake up, perhaps in the middle of the night, and find that joke funny. I do hope they've already put me in a home when I do so though.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I found this website which I sometimes use for nicknames when I am stuck. It is called 'The Name Rater.' People submit nicknames and the Name Rater moderator write comments, the majority of which are actually really negative and harsh! You should read them (http://pkmn.net/?action=rater)
I found that one too! I go there whenever I'm looking for a certain Pokémon nickname or just some laughs. Anyway, these are some of the nicknames I've come up with:

Absol-Mega (Battle Spot Singles): Bad News - This is just a funny name I came up with while breeding a 6IV Absol a couple of years ago. Disasters occur whenever it's sighted, so it signifies... bad news! -\_(' '/)_/- (Note: This is one of the better nicknames I made during that time. You'd be best off ignoring the Gourgeist-S named "Over 9000" for no apparent reason.)

Dusknoir (OU): one punch man - Substitute, Sucker Punch, Ice Punch, and Focus Punch are all you need. The nickname throws off opponents who think it only has one punch.

Krookodile (VGC): 5 - When I breed my Pokémon, I tend to nickname them random things. "it;s a,kloudp", "sound system", and " ' " are some examples of what my mind can come up with in the 10 seconds after an egg hatches. So anyway, I hatched this one egg and it was 6IV. Not even 5IV. 6IV. With the right nature. The only problem was that it had the Moxie ability -- hardly the super-useful Intimidate I was looking for. But still, it was a 6IV Sandile, so when I successfully got my Intimidate Sandile, I named it in honor of its predecessor.

Breloom (VGC): ComboBreaker - Breloom is what I used to beat Mega Kangaskhan, which attacks twice. I know the justification is kind of lame, but it just sounded cool to me.

Mawile-Mega (VGC): キラ [Kira] - This is probably my best nickname for anything competitive, and even then, it isn't that good. I kind of stole the idea from Death Note but ended up giving the name to a female Mawile (rather than a male one, even though the main character in Death Note is male) because I thought it suited it better. It's picked off many a 60% Groudon.

Anyway, I have no idea how good my names are, due to lack of a second opinion. The upside of this is that only I have to like them because it's unlikely that anyone else will see them. However, in here I'm showing my names to a lot of people, and I'm not sure what you'll think of them. Feedback is appreciated though.

This is the team I'm using in my most recent playthrough of X:

Lapras- Lapis Lazuli (from Steven Universe)

Snorlax- JustBigBoned (a defense Cartman used to cite whenever someone called him fat)

Delphox- Reynard (in reference to the medieval mythical fox of the same name).

Krookodile- KrokodileRok (referencing the Elton John song)

Haxorus- Fiery Win Ax (a reference to the Hearthstone card Fiery War Axe, which is a powerful early game removal card. Wanted to name him Arcanite Reaper, but there's not enough space).

I like to name lion pokemon like Luxray or Pyroar "Nants" or "Ingonyama"

Well actually I usually name them NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS

So far my favorite nickname I've given a Pokemon is my Oshawott in White2. Then nickname? "Hydros."

Why? No special reason. Just sounds vaguely cool. Also because most nicknames I give Pokemon suuuuuuuuck...

A nice runner up would be a Bulbasaur I named "Sir Tropicus III." Or rather that would be its nickname if the character limit allowed it. It just sounds so unnecessarily pretentious, to the point where it wraps around the uncoolness meter and becomes cool again.

I played through a bunch of my games again, i also like nuzlocke/wedlocke nickname themes
BW Wedlock
Clematis the serperior: it's a type of vine, i belive
Zinnia The Stoutland: the hair fur when she was a lillipup reminded me of one
Peony the Vannilite: p sure peonies are perrenial
Bamboo the scolipede: i couldn't think of a good one
Dandelion the trubbish: dandelions are weeds, plus it kinda sounds like "dandy"
Dafodill the joltik: yellow.

of course, i must also have some theme nicknames: Weeb Style

My Kokoro the luvdisc. i had to use one of these in games and it suuuuuuuuuuuucks
Katana the Aegislash. weeb sword
Yandere the Bisharp. dark type, fit with the naming theme
Kawaii Desu the Furfrou: i love furfrou because i used this one. I think it's one of the most underrated pokemon
Senpai the Lucario all of my team besides him was female. obviously he is senpai
*Segoi~Chan* the Swoobat. real pain to evolve her because she kept getting critted

Ugh those nicknames hurt to read. and now some of my pokemon i use on battle spot

Jacuzzi the Vaporeon: he's the bubble jet pokemon
Flamin Hot the Ninetales: the tails remind me of cheetos
Roast me the Unfezant: 1, pheasants are tasty, 2, roast me for using an unfezant
Bridezilla the gardevoir: first Perfect pokemon i ever bred, she really is a bridezilla
Swagodile the Krokorok: i got this off the internet somewhere
R I P the Shuckle: trolly and awesome. contrary shell smash to the max and toxic infestation your way to victory on less expirienced players

When I nickname a mon, I try to reference something. Be it with the name or design, there is something to reference which gives the opposing person a chance to realize it and give them emotions! A typical example of this would be "Dr. Hoo" with Noctowl (Hoothoot rather but Noctowl evolves from it so it works!). You can really use anything, places, friends, other people, shows, etc. Puns slide right into this naming system too, if it didn't become clear already :p

I just don't like giving mons simple, regular names. Supercharger, Nightmire and stuff like that have no meaning for me D: Can work in game obviously, but not in Showdown unless its a team you have seriously bonded or you use a lot or smthing. Also, trying to avoid common nicknames, super boring.

A highlight nickname from me: Cooler was Freezer the Abomasnow. I absolutely love it.

Truth be told I don't nickname mons often.

I don't know if I've listed these names, but:

Sparrowmon for Latias (I mean, they look very similar!)
Gengster for Gengar
KangasKHAAAAAAN!!! for Kangaskhan

From an XY fairy mono:

Florges (blue): Hyacinth
Aromatisse: Dollhouse
Slurpuff: Creampuff
Mega Mawile: Gorgon

I'm somewhat fond of naming pokemon after fighting game characters. Not the most original, but whatever. Some of my favorites:

Absol: Ms. Fortune
Rotom-W: DryCleanOnly
(Shiny) Lucario: Pikachu
Camerupt: Ground Beef
Medicham: Dhalsim
Aggron: Shao Kahn
Hydreigon: Mr. Dinkles
Cofagrigus: Need a hug?
Aegislash: Urien
Zoroark: Low-key
Machamp: FUQoutDaWAY! <- If you get this reference you win a cookie

Flareon: Jason
Jolteon: Trini
Vaporeon: Billy
Umbreon: Zack
Espeon: Kimberly
Leafeon: Tommy

Last edited:
I think I've come up with my favourite nickname ever: Cher Ami the Pidgey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami

Cher Ami was a carrier pigeon that helped save the Lost Battalion in WWI by helping send a message by trapped soldiers to stop their own forces firing on them. She was shot down by the Germans, and made it back to Division HQ, 25 miles away, in just 25 minutes despite having been shot and having one leg almost taken off.

So yeah. That's my "meaningful" nickname.

Alright, here goes my list, and this is what i nicknamed my Pokémon in the first gen games! I might do one about the 2nd gen when i feel like it!
These are the ones i like the best, by the way.

Bulba, the Bulbasaur -> Ivysaur -> Venusaur
I was pretty uncreative with this one, but i think it sounds nice!
[I also named Blastoise Bluey, after that walrus from Diddy Kong Racing and Charizard Draco, after that kid from Harry Potter when i was younger]

Nessie, the Lapras
I gave it to Lapras because it resembles the Loch Ness Monster, and "Nessie" was a nickname given to the "Loch Ness Monster", which was believed to be a Elasmosaurus that still lives to this day, roaming the Loch Ness lake.

SolidSnake, the Onix
He's a rock snake.. Rock solid, and a snake. Solid Snake.

Heavy Mole, the Dugtrio
I love Dugtrio. He has good Attack, Speed, can learn earthquake, sure, his design is silly, but don't judge a book by it's cover. He's awesome,
As for the nickname, i made it Heavy Mole because Dugtrio are 3 moles, and that reminded me of that hard boss from Kirby's adventure, "Heavy Mole", which looks like a Megaman miniboss rather than a mole.
But anyways, i love both of these things!

Tyson, the Hitmonchan
I never really liked Boxing that much, but i was obsessed with Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, so the first time i saw this thing on the Dojo, i named it Tyson, as a homage to my favorite boxer!
P.S Please don't give Tyson your ears. He'll bite them.

UriGeller the Alakazam
Uri Geller = A magician who likes bending spoons [He also sued nintendo once because he thought Kadabra was some nazist "poké-ification" of him.]
I thought the Kadabra thing was really dumb, but Uri Geller is cool, so i named Alakazam that!

Kanga, the Kangaskhan, and Roo, the Cubone
These both are named after Winnie The Pooh characters. Kanga, is a Kangaroo mother who takes care of Roo, some kangaroo kid. [not the kangaskhan kid]
I named them that because i love Winnie the Pooh, and i like the theory of Kangaskhan being Cubone's mother. Pretty creative!

I'm not that good with nicknaming, but i think it's fun and thinking of something to name your pokémon is really nice!

Last edited:
When it comes to Pokemon, nicknaming is one of coolest features IMO. Its gives you and your Pokemon a sense of personality and a team. Here is a few that I use a lot on the respective Pokemon.

Rotom - Home Depot. Now it doesn't matter what form the Rotom is as any of them fit this name wonderfully. However Rotom-W deserves all the credit here because it is definitely my favorite out of the bunch. I don't know where I came up with this name but ever since I have never called Rotom anything else.

Excadrill (♂) - Molester. Now knowing this name isn't banned in anyway makes me love it even more. One of the most fitting names I have ever heard for an Excadrill and quite funny as well. Some find this offensive but I find it quite hilarious

Tyranitar (♀) - Toph. If you don't get this reference, this is an Avatar the Last Air Bender one. A blind Earth bending female becomes one of the best in the series.

Venusaur (♂) - Shrek. Just like in the movie, Venusaur is a straight monster and a force to be reckoned with. He's a mean, green, fighting machine and I love him for that.

Mudsdale (♂) - Donkey. Okay, c'mon I just had to do it. So far, this is probably my favorite Pokemon leaked from Sun & Moon and a definite team member upon release. I couldn't go on with having Shrek the Venusaur and not have his faithful companion, Donkey the Mudsdale.

That's it for now. I have lot more than just this but these are some of personal favorites.

Few others of mine:

Snorlax: RipVanWinkle: Self-explanatory but I'm just happy it fit into the name bar - hooray for 12-character limit!

Gallade: Braveheart: I guess my mind went from "Gallade" to "Gallant", so that's how it got its name.

Absol: ABBA: Who doesn't love ABBA?

Machamp (Male): MusclesMcGee. For some reason I name characters "Noun/verb" McGee a lot in Tabletop games and video games. This Machamp is a continuation of that legacy.

Only notable because my younger brother loved this nickname so much that he wants to give his in-game team in 7th gen wacky nicknames(He's been playing since 1st gen like I have and he's never nicknamed stuff before)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)