Next Best Thing: Sun & Moon Ed. 1

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
ever wish your klefki had a recovery move?

witty key joke (Klefki) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 160 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave/Toxic
- Spikes
- Recycle

not optimal ofc but the 50% pinch berries are by no means resticted to be used by gluttony mons only. even with investment klefki doesnt easily sponge hits but its just bulky enough to surive most super effective coverage moves like eq from m-aerodactyl, drill run from m-beedrill or heat wave from m-pidgeot. afterwards, klefki threatens to cripple them with a thunder wave which opens up an opportunity to recover health instead with recycle. in theory its cool vs fatter teams too since you can spike up all day long on passive mons like blissey which relies on seismic toss to wear down opposing passive mons like klefki itself. however, its unfortunate that this tech doesnt allow klefki to check weavile better since recycle doesnt restore knocked items ._.

ill see if i can get some replays showcasing some of its worth

replay#1 klefki manages to come in on blissey and set up spikes without dying to stoss
replay#2 klefki walls tentacruel, sylveon and m-sceptile for days allowing for suicune to win

Last edited:

ESC Key (Klefki) @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power [Fire] / Substitute
- Fairy Lock

This is a set I've been off and on toying with since the early days of SuMo UU but haven't been able properly use due to my more defensive style, which doesn't suit the aggressive plays needed to take advantage of this set.
The idea is simple enough, play it like a normal Klefki until you believe you're about to take a hit, at which point you click Fairy Lock and trap something just before Eject Button kicks in and allows you to go to the appropriate check and snag a KO (and yes it works on Dark Types), if played right you can do this twice in a single battle or get up some hazards if the opponent tries to dance around being trapped.
The choice between DGleam or HP Fire depends on how much you hate Scizor, meanwhile Substitute can ease the prediction required and helps toxic stall something down a bit.
As for the EV's, it has enough speed to get Fairy Lock out before Adamant Scizors Bullet Punch hits, with the rest dumped into HP and Defense because I'm lazy.
When used in conjunction with something like Scarf Nape you can easily pin down and remove things like lead Hydreigon, Rotom-Cut, and Scarf Krook to name a few, but requires good predictions to pull off.

Here's an old, outdated, and arguably irrelevant replay of the set in action against Shiba in a room tour. While the team wasn't any good and I ended up losing, Klefki still did it's job exactly the way it was built too.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-554860882

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Here's a nice little Sweep-Breaker set I came up with. It helps prevent Opponent Set Ups / Sweeps while abusing Prankster

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 208 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave / HP Fire / Substitute
- Spikes
- Torment
- Dazzling Gleam

Torment is the star here and In my opinion a very underrate move on Klefki. This set is designed specifically to halt any mon that needs some sort of set up or assist to gain momentum. I can't really show calcs like I normally like to do, but I can (with confidence) say that Torment discourages Set up mons and Hazard Set mons. Torment prevents the quick stack of hazards, and multiple SD/CM/ect. In some cases, this can encourage a switch. I've noticed a lot of success against mons that normally hit heavy (Volc, Mamo, Luca, ect), locking them out of a choice/LO move pressures the opponent, putting them in an awkward and unexpected situation since most of those mons aren't running more than one coverage move.

Torment also halts other spikers. I think everyone would agree that Klefki is the best spike setter in UU right now. Torment only makes it Better by preventing other setters from, well, setting. This puts every other setter at a disadvantage. On top of that, Roar Spam / Whirlwind spam is denied via Torment, which (again) helps Keys set up spikes or even deal damage.

Let's talk about the damage output of this set. Dazzling Gleam has OHKO potential against most threats that take Fairy STAB Damage. HP Fire is (at it's core) nothing more than a coverage move, which is why I suggest Substitute....which I have a few nice words about.

I would honestly run Sub > T-wave. Sub > T-wave gives you more time and chances to abuse Torment and upset / frustrate your opponent. Originally, I didn't like Sub on this set originally But I've now found it to be better than the original optional moves for reasons stated above.

Overall, I absolutely LOVE this set and am now currently running it in place of the Sparrow set on the HO team they built and RMT'd recently.

Please feel free to try this out, give me some feedback, and enjoy this week's NBT! Thank you for reading.

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 154 SpD
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Dazzling Gleam

This is the true terror set and turns Klefki into an unbreakable lategame sweeper. What makes this set stand out is Klefki's great defensive typing, prankster and the element of surprise. Prankster allows Klefki to always set up an Iron Defense or Calm Mind before an opponent attacks. Combined with priority rest, with this EV spread, Klefki is capable of setting up against Krookodile, M-Aerodactyl, Infernape etc.

For example, one scenario would be to switch Klefki against something that would switch out, setup a CM, then if the enemy switches in Krookodile, Iron Defense before his EQ, Iron Defense again, then Rest and its GG from there.

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
There were no noms for Aerodactyl (tbh, nothing new this gen came out for it anyways), therefore there will be no winners this week.

Next pkmn is Infernape

bop

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Infernape @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Timid Nature / Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock / Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
- Slack Off
- Flamethrower / Low Kick

Given how dominant Weavile, Jirachi and Scizor are a pokemon like this is kinda cool? Its typing is a great way to deal with 2 pokemon that have become extremely extremely good, even more so than before, after the drops have taken place. I think Rocky Helmet is a cool idea to punish Jirachi and Scizor's U-turns and can wear Weavile down quickly in conjunction with Life Orb (although Helmet would only have a one time use in this case). EV spread allows it to creep Krookodile while still remaining fairly bulky. Slack Off allows it to be a sustainable answer to the aforementioned pokemon. Personally I like rocks on the set though I could see justification for the other fillers. just make sure this set has a way to touch scizor i.e don't run rocks and taunt and low kick on the same set.

Last edited:

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Infernape @ Normalium Z
Ability: Iron Fist / Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

A kinda strange set but fun to use (tbh when you sweep with that it's nuts). The main objective is to Z-Encore (+1 Speed) on a Pokemon like Swampert with Sr and then SD on the switch whichs allows Infernape to break through after that. With +1 Speed and +2 Attack, this set can be an amazing Late Game Sweeper.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I used defensive Infernape quite often during Alpha, when we had Bisharp, Weavile, Scizor and Breloom - all in one tier. Voting for Cynde.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Moutemoute's is definitely the most fire, but in terms of sets you'd actually use and be consistently successful with, it has to be cynde's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)