SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

That does bring up a good point, pokemon in pokeballs do undergo some changes (pokerus can infect them, they can receive EXP and EV's through various items, and some form transformations will occur automatically while still in a pokeball, like Shaymin-sky reverts at night). They also gain happiness from traveling with their trainer, and eggs can hatch while in a pokeball.

Pokemon in the PC don't do this (some form reversions occur, but they happen immediately before depositing). In fact, some time-based conditions are stalled in the PC (like "live" pokerus infections).

Another difference is that PC storage will heal the pokemon, while capturing in a pokeball (except the appropriately named Heal Ball) doesn't.

So from this we can conclude that pokeball storage and PC storage are not the same thing. And from the pokerus observations, we can infer that PC storage has some mild stasis effects, but the extent of which remains unclear.

This still raises questions about the Aether Foundation and Lusamine's use of cyrostasis though, including the extra Type: Nulls put on ice. Why waste extra resources on this, if regular PC storage accomplishes the same thing? And the answer can't completely be "because Lusamine is crazy," because there's a third Type: Null still on ice right now.

This still raises questions about the Aether Foundation and Lusamine's use of cyrostasis though, including the extra Type: Nulls put on ice. Why waste extra resources on this, if regular PC storage accomplishes the same thing? And the answer can't completely be "because Lusamine is crazy," because there's a third Type: Null still on ice right now.
IIRC Lusamine froze all the Pokemon in her mansion because she wanted to preserve their beauty. Aether Foundation froze the three Type: Null to ensure they don't rebel again.

So one can assume Pokemon can still age or even break out of PC storage (although neither happens in gameplay).

IIRC Lusamine froze all the Pokemon in her mansion because she wanted to preserve their beauty. Aether Foundation froze the three Type: Null to ensure they don't rebel again.

So one can assume Pokemon can still age or even break out of PC storage (although neither happens in gameplay).
We should consider that Team Plasma was about to hack intot the storage system of unova during the climax of BW as reference inside N castle.

Wathever the implications of such thing may mean it is still something that is told to us face and center ingame.

That does bring up a good point, pokemon in pokeballs do undergo some changes (pokerus can infect them, they can receive EXP and EV's through various items, and some form transformations will occur automatically while still in a pokeball, like Shaymin-sky reverts at night). They also gain happiness from traveling with their trainer, and eggs can hatch while in a pokeball.

Pokemon in the PC don't do this (some form reversions occur, but they happen immediately before depositing). In fact, some time-based conditions are stalled in the PC (like "live" pokerus infections).

Another difference is that PC storage will heal the pokemon, while capturing in a pokeball (except the appropriately named Heal Ball) doesn't.

So from this we can conclude that pokeball storage and PC storage are not the same thing. And from the pokerus observations, we can infer that PC storage has some mild stasis effects, but the extent of which remains unclear.

True, though I'm unsure why any of the Type: Null still exist after their apparent failure to function with the RKS System. Surely Lusamine would've had them all terminated if they were that dangerous to need to be put on ice indefinitely? (or as she went cuckoo for Ultra Beasts and Type: Null was originally conceived to combat them) I don't think destroying them would have hurt Aether's image as I'm pretty sure their development was kept away from the public eye.

It might have something to do with how the PC Storage system is set up; it may be set up to automatically heal any Pokemon sent to it, to ensure that the trainer's Pokemon are ready for battle immediately, especially if they're using a PC that's not in a Pokemon Center, like in the Weather Institute or the gates to the National Park since they host a Bug-Catching Contest.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's another mystery for y'all:

Remember that scene at the very beginning of Sun and Moon? You could be excused if you didn't, many people just left the DS and let the scene run while they went to have a coffee, take a dump or do a bachelor's degree.

Anyway, it takes place on a bridge over a huge waterfall crashing down the east side of MeleMele Island. And I have to question: Where the heck does all that water come from? It's a large waterfall, with a throughput easily in the range of 10 m3/s, and a constant flow, signalling a large catchment area or a well-fed aquifer. But MeleMele Island can be circumnavigated on foot in five minutes. Worse, basic hydrology dictates that wherever it rains that much, has to lie above the waterfall. And the waterfall comes off the highest point of the island. Every other place on MeleMele (and again, you can visit them all in five minutes) lie lower than the top of the waterfall. There must be a very powerful water source somewhere up there. It can't be seawater sucked in by some trick of capillary forces, since we see vegetation in the area which would otherwise have died from the constant salt spray.

Also, why does the waterfall run down the cliffs on the east side, when the whole of MeleMele slopes to the southwest? Any natural rivers would flow the other way down the mountain and through Hau'oli City or Route 1, rather than flinging itself off the highest cliff. And nowhere do we see what happens to the rain that falls on the rest of the island, since there are no other rivers.

Great waterfall, looks dumb when you think about it.

I couldn't find the exact cutscene you're looking for. I know there's a bridge and waterfall on the way to the Ruins of Conflict (the bridge that Nebby breaks), but I don't think that's what you're talking about...

True, though I'm unsure why any of the Type: Null still exist after their apparent failure to function with the RKS System. Surely Lusamine would've had them all terminated if they were that dangerous to need to be put on ice indefinitely? (or as she went cuckoo for Ultra Beasts and Type: Null was originally conceived to combat them) I don't think destroying them would have hurt Aether's image as I'm pretty sure their development was kept away from the public eye.
The Type:Null were shelved because nobody is gonna give that up completely when they are so close to their endgoal. When perfected the RKS System essentially gives you Arceus' power and that is something the Aether Foundation would always strive to. Their berserk reactions had to be stopped though because if reports got out that this group were creating Terminators and couldn't control them, well...let's just say the Pokemon friendly shtick wouldn't stand.

I am wondering if parts of existing Pokemon were used in the creation of Type: Null though, or if some of its parts were inspired by existing Pokemon. Its tail fin looks like a half Gyarados fin, but I can't see any outward resemblances anywhere else.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I couldn't find the exact cutscene you're looking for. I know there's a bridge and waterfall on the way to the Ruins of Conflict (the bridge that Nebby breaks), but I don't think that's what you're talking about...
Yeah, it's that one. The waterfall isn't the Niagara, true, but still way larger than it has any right to be given its position on the island.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So thought to give my opinion on the whole PC, Pokeball, Poke Pelago discussion:

Poke Ball: Let's start where it all starts, the Poke Ball. The Poke Ball can turn matter into energy for storage and back into matter when opened, be it a Pokemon or item (though it seems to not affect humans. In the anime when one is thrown at a person is usually just bounces off without even opening, and the one time the beam hit a human it just stun them. Only time a "Poke Ball" affected a human was in "The Time Machine" Pokestar Studios movie where Pokemon took over and use "Human Balls", though that's just a made up movie. Still, is it just that the Poke Balls are programmed not to affect human DNA or for some reason humans are too complicated for one to be stored?). But back on track, when being stored the Pokemon still seems aware of what's happening outside and can be affected by outside changes, so they're not in your typical frozen stasis. So it could be the Poke Ball is sort of like a passenger seat of a car, the trainer being the driver. They're also being affected by time as normal, hence how they can be affected by outside changes. How this is done is iffy. Like with experience, healing, or changing a move you could theorize it's adjusting the Pokemon's energy that matches the biological process the Pokemon normally does to gain experience, heal, or learn a move. But then you have the spreading of Pokerus which would need its own theory, like does turning the biological virus into data turn it also into a digital virus that can spread via close signal connection?
Of course it has some connection to the PC. For one a Poke Ball does identify the Pokemon in it as being yours, and when you have six Pokemon with you it teleports to the PC (specifically into your PC Box).

PC: So the Poke Ball just seems to be an easy way to carry around your Pokemon and identify them as yours. So what about the PC? Pokemon do seem to be in a form of stasis while in the PC, hence why some don't change forms when they should or Pokerus doesn't go away or can't spread. Only time Pokemon are affected by the outside is when the trainer is actively using the PC, and even then what they can do is limited to moving around held items which isn't something a part of the Pokemon like moves or experience is. Now outside that we don't know what a Pokemon experiences when in the PC. Are they conscious? Does the PC create a digital environment and the Pokemon creates a digital avatar of itself while its body is in full stasis? All we do know is that Pokemon in the PC aren't affected by time, as one girl NPC noted you could deposit a Pokemon into the PC in take it out after 100 years with little to no change to it (though that brings up the question if something happens to the PC would that affect the Pokemon? Are we really releasing Pokemon or are we actually deleting them from existence?... Well, ORAS actually answered that as the Latios/Latias you make friends with will always come to with when playing the Eon Flute even if you release it).

Dream World: Let's go over the Dream World first since it came first. Aside from choosing a Pokemon from the PC, I think it's implied the Pokemon is placed in the bed connecting to Fennel's dream smoke invention. From there things get tricky, after interacting with your Pokemon's dream you can then go to a place to pick up any items you find and catch any Pokemon it befriended. At that point I would just throw it up to magic, you could at least justify the Pokemon is an actual other Pokemon who's dream just so happened to cross path with your Pokemon's so it's not like Pokemon are being created out of thin air (the items might be, but they're just objects).

Poke Pelago: So finally we get to the Poke Pelago. Since you have to fly there with Charizard Glide it does seem like a real geographical location (unlike Festival Plaza, it's confusing exactly what that is). As for how your deposited Pokemon are running around without your choice, could just be Mohn letting your Pokemon out of their Poke Ball (you essentially gave him permission to do so).

Lusamine's Collection: Lusamine put her Pokemon in cryo, a different and possibly more horrifying process. Pokemon going into the PC have been turned into energy & data via the Poke Ball, so its a smooth process with little harm being done to the Pokemon. What Lusamine did was flash freeze a Pokemon's entire body, stopping its normal body functions. While Pokemon turned into energy can easily be turned back into matter, Pokemon who underwent cryo can't just be freed from cryo. They need time to be unfrozen, and not only that but the thawing process must be done carefully as not to cause physical harm (you don't want to have an organ begin processing again without the needed bodily fluid still frozen; that will end in the organ and maybe Pokemon dying).

Type: Null/Silvally: I can only assume they didn't dispose of the Type: Null just in case they decided to start the project again if they ever discovered a possible way to get the RKS System working properly. They probably spent a lot of money on them and would just be a waste to just kill them, they were much more valuable to keep in stasis for future research purposes.
Silvally don't look to be made from any Pokemon parts I've seen. Could be they spliced together ideal subjects to create the parts they wanted for Silvally (like instead of a fin of one Water-type Pokemon, they got DNA from an ideal group of Water-types to construct its fin tail).

Here's another mystery for y'all:

Remember that scene at the very beginning of Sun and Moon? You could be excused if you didn't, many people just left the DS and let the scene run while they went to have a coffee, take a dump or do a bachelor's degree.

Anyway, it takes place on a bridge over a huge waterfall crashing down the east side of MeleMele Island. And I have to question: Where the heck does all that water come from? It's a large waterfall, with a throughput easily in the range of 10 m3/s, and a constant flow, signalling a large catchment area or a well-fed aquifer. But MeleMele Island can be circumnavigated on foot in five minutes. Worse, basic hydrology dictates that wherever it rains that much, has to lie above the waterfall. And the waterfall comes off the highest point of the island. Every other place on MeleMele (and again, you can visit them all in five minutes) lie lower than the top of the waterfall. There must be a very powerful water source somewhere up there. It can't be seawater sucked in by some trick of capillary forces, since we see vegetation in the area which would otherwise have died from the constant salt spray.

Also, why does the waterfall run down the cliffs on the east side, when the whole of MeleMele slopes to the southwest? Any natural rivers would flow the other way down the mountain and through Hau'oli City or Route 1, rather than flinging itself off the highest cliff. And nowhere do we see what happens to the rain that falls on the rest of the island, since there are no other rivers.

Great waterfall, looks dumb when you think about it.
Obviously Lana wasn't lying, there is a Kyogre living in Alola and its affecting the water flow.

Serious answer, aside "it's a game" if you want a pseudo-science explanation maybe there's some underwater tunnels which has a current which pushes water upwards where the waterfall's water supply gathers. Who knows how that works, but hey, there's also strange phenomenons in our world that goes against general laws of physics.

has it ever been explained why your Pokedex starts out as empty when clearly all information can be available to you
? do the professors just want you to not have things easy?

So thought to give my opinion on the whole PC, Pokeball, Poke Pelago discussion:

Poke Ball: Let's start where it all starts, the Poke Ball. The Poke Ball can turn matter into energy for storage and back into matter when opened, be it a Pokemon or item (though it seems to not affect humans. In the anime when one is thrown at a person is usually just bounces off without even opening, and the one time the beam hit a human it just stun them. Only time a "Poke Ball" affected a human was in "The Time Machine" Pokestar Studios movie where Pokemon took over and use "Human Balls", though that's just a made up movie. Still, is it just that the Poke Balls are programmed not to affect human DNA or for some reason humans are too complicated for one to be stored?). But back on track, when being stored the Pokemon still seems aware of what's happening outside and can be affected by outside changes, so they're not in your typical frozen stasis. So it could be the Poke Ball is sort of like a passenger seat of a car, the trainer being the driver. They're also being affected by time as normal, hence how they can be affected by outside changes. How this is done is iffy. Like with experience, healing, or changing a move you could theorize it's adjusting the Pokemon's energy that matches the biological process the Pokemon normally does to gain experience, heal, or learn a move. But then you have the spreading of Pokerus which would need its own theory, like does turning the biological virus into data turn it also into a digital virus that can spread via close signal connection?
Of course it has some connection to the PC. For one a Poke Ball does identify the Pokemon in it as being yours, and when you have six Pokemon with you it teleports to the PC (specifically into your PC Box).
If you read the Pokemon Adventures manga (at least the first series, I haven't kept up) you can often see Pokemon in their Pokeballs, and often they're able to interact with their environment to some limited extent (Pikachu moving his ball and huffing being the most memorable one).

Of course, this might just be manga mechanics not aligning with game mechanics (or the authors wanted readers to be able to tell who's who), but it would seem Pokemon aren't actually converted into energy, rather shrunk.

Remember, there's a lot of empty space between the nucleus of an atom and its electron rings. All that really matters is not changing the structure of the mass (lest you kill the Pokemon), and technically you can make things pretty darn small. Perhaps that's what is happening to the Pokemon? Of course, thus arises the pretty horrific problems of leaving Pokemon in their balls. I believe there was a DP episode in which a Sandshrew got trapped under water for some time, and then the crew had to go rescue it. Stuck, aware that you future existence was going to be in a tiny cage for the foreseeable future with no interaction cannot be fun. Stands to reason that there's some stupid idiots who've left Pokemon in balls lying around, just trapped watching the passage of time, unable to leave

Also now that I've just looked over the manga I suddenly have an urge to breed a Poliwrath...

If you read the Pokemon Adventures manga (at least the first series, I haven't kept up) you can often see Pokemon in their Pokeballs, and often they're able to interact with their environment to some limited extent (Pikachu moving his ball and huffing being the most memorable one).

Of course, this might just be manga mechanics not aligning with game mechanics (or the authors wanted readers to be able to tell who's who), but it would seem Pokemon aren't actually converted into energy, rather shrunk.

Remember, there's a lot of empty space between the nucleus of an atom and its electron rings. All that really matters is not changing the structure of the mass (lest you kill the Pokemon), and technically you can make things pretty darn small. Perhaps that's what is happening to the Pokemon? Of course, thus arises the pretty horrific problems of leaving Pokemon in their balls. I believe there was a DP episode in which a Sandshrew got trapped under water for some time, and then the crew had to go rescue it. Stuck, aware that you future existence was going to be in a tiny cage for the foreseeable future with no interaction cannot be fun. Stands to reason that there's some stupid idiots who've left Pokemon in balls lying around, just trapped watching the passage of time, unable to leave

Also now that I've just looked over the manga I suddenly have an urge to breed a Poliwrath...
It's been a while since I've read the Manga, but weren't there instances of a Pokémon letting itself out? (I know this happened in the anime with Psyduck at least.)

I also remember something that made really uncomfortable as a kid (mild spoilers by the way). When Yellow was battling Lance, it was mentioned that if the Pokéballs were cracked, Lance wouldn't be able to let his Pokémon out. They had already been let out, so this was never addressed. What would have happened in this case? Would the Pokémon have died? (I suspect that the Japanese version may have said something else if this was the case.)

It's been a while since I've read the Manga, but weren't there instances of a Pokémon letting itself out? (I know this happened in the anime with Psyduck at least.)

I also remember something that made really uncomfortable as a kid (mild spoilers by the way). When Yellow was battling Lance, it was mentioned that if the Pokéballs were cracked, Lance wouldn't be able to let his Pokémon out. They had already been let out, so this was never addressed. What would have happened in this case? Would the Pokémon have died? (I suspect that the Japanese version may have said something else if this was the case.)

I assume there is a way to fix them if the opening mechanism is damaged. I think breaking them completely would release the Pokemon, as in the anime

Ok first we should get an official explanation of what happens inside a pokeball
thankfully Kotaku asked Junichi Masuda just this question

“I think it’s safe to say that it’s very comfortable inside inside of a Pokeball, it’s a very comfortable environment,” Masuda laughed. “Maybe the equivalent of a high-end suite room in a fancy hotel.”

but that doesn't explain the whole time discrepancies between pokemon with you and pokemon in the PC
but what lead us to conclude such a discrepancy even exist? why the way Pokerus works; but in order to solve this discrepancy I posit this

is not that being it the PC puts Pokerus in stasis it's that the only way Pokerus disappears from it's carrier it's by being in a pokeball too for long

as for other factors such as how is it pokemon are cured by being sent to the PC it's not to much of a stretch to think that by being transfered they go to the same healing procces of a pokemon center machine; if we consider that most pokemon that are sent to a PC where just captured it makes sense why such a feature would be implemented, in fact that that didn't happen in earlier generations is evidence that pokemon being healed when sent to a PC was something that was purpously added

I'm sticking to pokemon been sent to a ranch somewhere when put in a PC and Sun and Moon just happening to be the first time we actively visit such a location

Last edited:
iirc i read somewhere that the manga was the closest to Tajiri's vision of what Pokémon should be like, I don't know in what regards he meant but if that might be relevant for the poké ball discussion

I'm sticking to pokemon been sent to a ranch somewhere when put in a PC and Sun and Moon just happening to be the first time we actively visit such a location
While this is my personal headcannon too, another person pointed out that this clashes with B/W, where the Plasma grunt reveals the plans to hack the PC storage and release all the pokemon. It does give support to why the Aether foundation seems to mistrust PC storage, since the possibility of hacking and releasing one of the Type:Null's or Lusamine's private collection might drive them to crazy security measures like cryostasis.

Or does it? After all, the release function still works in Alola despite the Poke-pelago, so it stands to reason that it's possible to release ownership of a pokemon even if that pokemon isn't in the PC. So they could still have ranches in Unova or other places.

Moving to geology with Codraroll because Melemele is pretty weird...

So from here you can see the start of the falls in the jungle peak, but on the right side of the island you can see the extinct volcano that formed the island. Since the jungle peak is higher, this implies it too is an extinct volcano.

If that's the case, then it's possible there's a caldera up there that acts as the aquifer for the waterfall (similar to Crater Lake in central Oregon in the US), but as Codraroll mentioned there's no lake to be seen and since the waterfall starts at the very top there can't be an underground reservoir (although the abundance of vegetation suggests one).

Maybe when the magma hotspot moved the volcanic magma chamber had the bottom sealed by cooling magma, allowing for rainwater to collect within the now empty chamber. Then this all spills out at the top because the sides are incredibly erosion resistant? And the sides didn't collapse into a caldera for reasons? ...yeah I'm grasping a straws.

I've discussed before how Alola's geography makes no sense (the volcanic hotspot seems to have played whack-a-mole popping up in random locations instead of a traceable path like the real Hawaii). Also a lot of these volcanoes look like cindercones/stratovolcanoes while hotspots tend to have shield volcanoes (thank you Magic School Bus Explores the Earth).

Although it could be that Alola is really not on a hotspot like the true Hawaii, and instead formed from the subduciton of two tectonic plates, like Japan's Mt. Fuji (which since it's Gamefreak would explain why the volcanoes are cindercones). That's the only explanation I've got for why a canyon can exist on Poni Island (how in the world did Poni island get enough river activity to form canyons?! Has to be on a fault line).

But I digress. At this point the clearest answer is the fickle Tapu Koko wanted his temple to have a sweet waterfall view so he threw a temper tantrum until Tapu Fini made him one.

Meanwhile Tapu Bulu is too lazy to take care of his own gardening (the grass guardian has a temple in a desert). I swear you forget to water your plants just once and they all die on 'ya.

Last edited:
Biggest mystery in my opinion. Why are Cosplay Pikachu and Spiky-Eared Pichu present in Sun and Moon's coding... If they're not transferrable outside of the Johto/Hoenn remakes? Will Cap Pikachu follow the same fate, despite it also being present in the code (obviously)? Also, what kind of Raichu variant will we get for Sinnoh remakes?
Just been catching up on the mysteries thread and noticed this in combination with the recent news of gold/silver/crystal 3DS release most likely means that we may have access to a spiky eared pichu event in them, and it may be transferable to SuMo.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Just been catching up on the mysteries thread and noticed this in combination with the recent news of gold/silver/crystal 3DS release most likely means that we may have access to a spiky eared pichu event in them, and it may be transferable to SuMo.
Er, they're not going to add Spiky Eared Pichu to GS. The games are a straight port with additional connectivity to Poke Bank. Only way I can see getting a Spiky Eared Pichu from GS is if they have the Day-Care Man give you the Odd Egg (though that was Crystal exclusive) and it hatches into a Pichu (though note in the original games it could also hatch into a Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, or Magby) and when transferred it turns into a Spiky Eared Pichu.

Er, they're not going to add Spiky Eared Pichu to GS. The games are a straight port with additional connectivity to Poke Bank. Only way I can see getting a Spiky Eared Pichu from GS is if they have the Day-Care Man give you the Odd Egg (though that was Crystal exclusive) and it hatches into a Pichu (though note in the original games it could also hatch into a Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, or Magby) and when transferred it turns into a Spiky Eared Pichu.
You're probably right, but why would they have code for it in SuMo then? And also coincidentally release the only gen it occurred in (i think). Not saying it's going to happen for sure, but it's something that caught my eye as a possibility. Then again, floette eternal is still out there in the code but long past it's due date and likely to never come.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
You're probably right, but why would they have code for it in SuMo then?
A lot of stuff is copied over from past generations in the code. If I recall correctly, the Azure Flute and Red Chain (items that were coded in, but never used, in DP) were still found in BW and BW2. Same goes for box sprites, I think Spiky-Eared Pichu has been around in the data since HGSS despite being unable to be traded from those games.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A lot of stuff is copied over from past generations in the code. If I recall correctly, the Azure Flute and Red Chain (items that were coded in, but never used, in DP) were still found in BW and BW2. Same goes for box sprites, I think Spiky-Eared Pichu has been around in the data since HGSS despite being unable to be traded from those games.
Well oddly in the case of Spiky Eared Pichu, Cosplay Pikachu, and Eternal Floette they were given new menu sprites. It's odd for them to give them new menu sprites (not sure if they have a model in Sun & Moon's coding, though) if they were just holdovers. It could be possible they may do something with them, having them in there just in case they do, though like Eternal Floette of yester gen they may not (though that was probably because they skipped Z, with Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon coming and GS to the virtual console who knows what they may do).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A cute little strange fact.

The Honedge line, which is just swords (and a shield), is gendered. Even if we go with the line that "genderless" actually means "unknown gender", that raises even more questions.
Maybe the spirit possessing the sword identifies to a gender?

Note that many Ghost-types do have genders (despite being dead spirits), including the Shuppet family (puppet/doll), Yamask family (mask/sarcophagus), Drifloon family (balloon/blimp), Litwik family (candle/lamp/chandelier), Phantump family (tree (stump)), Pumpkaboo family (pumpkin), and Sandyghast (sand (castle)).

What's odder is Spiritomb has a gender even though it's suppose to be made of 108 spirits (so does that mean all the spirits are the same gender?).

Maybe the spirit possessing the sword identifies to a gender?

Note that many Ghost-types do have genders (despite being dead spirits), including the Shuppet family (puppet/doll), Yamask family (mask/sarcophagus), Drifloon family (balloon/blimp), Litwik family (candle/lamp/chandelier), Phantump family (tree (stump)), Pumpkaboo family (pumpkin), and Sandyghast (sand (castle)).

What's odder is Spiritomb has a gender even though it's suppose to be made of 108 spirits (so does that mean all the spirits are the same gender?).
What is even more odd is the method you have to use in order to find spiritomb in platinum. I never understood what was up with that.

What is even more odd is the method you have to use in order to find spiritomb in platinum. I never understood what was up with that.
I've been racking my brain about that myself. I mean, it's clear they are going for Buddhist and Chinese mythology (108 being a cursed/holy number, with 108 demons sealed in a rock, 108 temptations of the Buddha, and 108 demons redeemed reincarnate into 108 stars of destiny) but I've been doing the math over and over and can not piece together what the reference is. The best I've come up with is:

1. You find it on Route 209. 209 - 101 is 108 (or removing an integer from 2 and 9).
2. You need to find 32 people underground (or 1 person in 32 separate trips) to summon him. This is Generation 4, and 4 times 8 is 32.
3. Spiritomb is always level 25. The product of 2 and 5 is 10.
4. Putting the 10 from the level, and the 8 from the underground encounters, you get 108.

...okay even I know this has more bologna than the Oscar Meyer weinermobile. Anybody else want to take a crack at it?

The real best I got is that they seriously wanted you to meet 108 people, but then someone on Q&A thankfully talked them out of it (unfortunately that Q&A guy took time out of his day to solve this issue and not the other ones like framerate and the Diamond/Pearl pokedex). So we got 32.

They did it better in ORAS where they put Spiritomb on (of course) route 108. Which happens to have Sea Mauville.

I would normally take the "108 Spirits" as mere folklore, but the fact that Spiritomb refers to itself as 108 spirits in PMD makes me hesitant. That could just be a spinoff thing though. This is the same game that has Primal Dialga. I would assume that all of the spirits have the same gender in Spiritomb's case. There are trillions of spirits to choose from (a heck of a lot more of Pokémon can be fused to make a Spiritomb), so it shouldn't be that hard to gather 108 of the same gender when approximately 50% of the spirits will be said gender.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)