Gen 2 My gen2 competitive team

So, i would like for you to rate my team and point out some flaws that it might have

Cloyster(leftovers)
-Spikes
-Surf
-Toxic
-Explosion

Self explanatory, cloyster is there to put up spikes,spread status and explode.

-Zapdos(leftovers)
-Thunder
-Hidden power ice
-Rest
-Sleeptalk

Zapdos is quite bulky and stab thunder hits like a truck, hidden power ice is to NAB ground types and exegutor.

Suicune(leftovers)
-surf
-toxic
-protect
-mirror coat

This guy is Also bulky from both sides has stab Water move,toxic to spread status,protect to stall and revive some HP and mirror coat to get eletric tipes by surprise and if it fails most of the times they're afraid to put their eletric agaisnt this cune.

Steelix(leftovers)
-EQ
-rock slide
-roar
-explosion

steelix is very usefull in my team it stops raikou and zapdos cold (if they dont run hidden power water but most run HP ice anyways) and every eletric type, EQ and rock slide is for coverage, roar is to get some spikes damage and explosion is to open holes in defense teams when they dont see it coming, it should Also be noted that steelix is the best guy to take explosions which happens alot nowdays.

Skarmory(miracleberry)
-whirlind
-drill Peck
-thief
-rest

Skarmory is there mainly To counter Heracross,exegutor and machamp (without FB) i Also use him when i already know their LAX doesnt have FB, if they do i try to counter it with my own LAX with LK and if they run LK i havê my Zapdos which is rest/talk. Miracleberry wakes skarmory after a rest and thief steals leftys. Skarmory Also takes explosions nicely.

Snorlax(leftovers)
-body slam
-Lovely kiss
-rest
-belly drum

This snorlax lacks coverage which really hurts most of the times but LK is a game changer and a well timed belly drum recks teams, when only ghost types and steel types remain i can switch and finish the job with suicune or zapdos.

So this is the team, what do you guys think? I know i have problems with fire type moves but every team has weaknesses and fire moves themselves arent really common, if champ/LAX have FB i can always try to PP stall altho flamethrower is impossible.

-Cosmic TX

Sooo a couple things stick out to me.

First is that you're desperately Gengar weak, with only Steelix to fend it off. It also totally shuts down your Lax and you've got pretty much no support to cover it.
Second you're really weak to anything fire typed. Saying that every team has weaknesses is a bit of a cop-out imo, and PP stalling is incredibly unreliable if you're handling something like FB CurseLax.
Third is that Suicune looks pretty weak here, I don't think it's a very good set.
Fourth is you're a bit Champ weak. Skarmory might check Champ, but it is in no way a counter, and just about every Champ will be running RSlide to hit Zap. It's probably not a pressing issue, but it is a thing
Lastly I'm not sure how I feel about Lix without Curse. Rock Slide is pretty weak against literally everything that isn't weak to it, and even then it's far from gamebreaking.

The first solution that springs to mind is to run TTar>Lix, which gives you a pursuit trapper to support your Lax and a better FB Lax response. Next is that although TTar is a more aggressive Gengar response, it's less sturdy long-term, so possibly Raikou(RestTalk)>Zap might be of interest (an alternative is to replace Suicune with some sort of Gengar check). If you do go Kou>Zap you become even more weak to Champ, so to remedy that maybe Nidoking or Egg could be considered in place of Suicune.

Sooo a couple things stick out to me.

First is that you're desperately Gengar weak, with only Steelix to fend it off. It also totally shuts down your Lax and you've got pretty much no support to cover it.
Second you're really weak to anything fire typed. Saying that every team has weaknesses is a bit of a cop-out imo, and PP stalling is incredibly unreliable if you're handling something like FB CurseLax.
Third is that Suicune looks pretty weak here, I don't think it's a very good set.
Fourth is you're a bit Champ weak. Skarmory might check Champ, but it is in no way a counter, and just about every Champ will be running RSlide to hit Zap. It's probably not a pressing issue, but it is a thing
Lastly I'm not sure how I feel about Lix without Curse. Rock Slide is pretty weak against literally everything that isn't weak to it, and even then it's far from gamebreaking.

The first solution that springs to mind is to run TTar>Lix, which gives you a pursuit trapper to support your Lax and a better FB Lax response. Next is that although TTar is a more aggressive Gengar response, it's less sturdy long-term, so possibly Raikou(RestTalk)>Zap might be of interest (an alternative is to replace Suicune with some sort of Gengar check). If you do go Kou>Zap you become even more weak to Champ, so to remedy that maybe Nidoking or Egg could be considered in place of Suicune.

Thanks for the feedback, i switched Cune for nidoking with lovely kiss,thunder,ice beam,EQ and swapped LK on LAX for EQ (i was thinking between FB and EQ but i ended up putting EQ because i Also swapped steelyx with Ttar) and i ended up switching steelyx for Ttar with pursuit,FB,rock slide and dynamic punch. After this changes i beat up the former rank 2 in the ladder LOOl.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Suicune is a good enough Machamp check, although Nidoking is still an improvement, partly because that Cune set is whack, partly because it gives you an attacker with coverage, something your original team lacked (and in my experience, stall teams like this need a mixed attacker to make the most of Spikes).

If anything, running Ttar should make you more willing to try LK / Fire Blast on Lax, as you can now Pursuit Ghosts to get them out of the way.

This team is starting to look pretty solid and standard. You might want a Curselax instead of a Drumlax, though, as otherwise switching into thunders and forcing Electrics out is a bit harder than it should be. FB lax is the more offensive curse set and should synergize well with Nido against Miltank/Umbreon (but with Double-Edge instead of weak sauce Body Slam). The risky raw potential of Drum isn't absolutely necessary to generate offense on this team now that Nido is here to help.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)