SM OU More Cancerous Stall (Toxapex + Gliscor)

Hi my first RMT so please go easy on me. After starting the gen a few weeks ago and realising how pretty much every team I played (25-30 matches) were ill-prepared for a stall lineup, I decided to build one. And like the cancerous scum I am, I chose some of the evilest, satanic mons out there (see Gliscor). I am having pretty good success climbing at around the 1450 right now, just looking to see if there is any way to improve this team.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

Mega Sableye is a mainstay for stall teams, has a good defensive typing and a stellar ability in Magic Bounce keeping away the Entry Hazards and Status. Knock Off has great utility, allowing Sableye to do both chip damage and remove items. Will-O-Wisp shuts down physical attackers, and can be used with Prankster before Mega Evolving. Recover and Protect allow for greater stalling potential and recovery. Generally the lead unless no entry hazard leads are present.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Toxapex is imo the best wall in OU, with reliable recovery and great bulk, as well as Haze preventing it being setup fodder. Scald is a STAB move which both can chip away at opposing mons or threaten physical attackers with the threat of burn. Recover provides another form of recovery along with Regenerator and Black Sludge. Toxic Spikes threaten grounded foes, providing chip damage. A great wall which when used in conjunction with Gliscor, can completely wall teams. All together as a core with Clefable, the stalling machine is virtually untouchable as the two cannot be set up on, are provided with support and with their combined bulk are incredibly hard to bust through

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Gliscor, although falling out of popularity and also the tier in gen 7, is still threat in OU. Combining its ability Poison Heal, with Substitute, Protect and Toxic you have a stalling machine who can melt almost any mon while leaving the battle unscathed. Substitute provides a way to escape common Ice and Water-type moves which are often switched in to Gliscor, giving a free turn to poison the foe. It also gives a two free turns (when used with Protect) to stall if the opponent has been poisoned already. Protect allows a safe 1/8 health recovery, as well as chip damage with poison. The set revolves around Gliscor's ability to stay alive, and most importantly land Toxic. After Toxic, Gliscor can just use SubTect to stall out. EQ is there to make sure Gliscor cannot be shutdown by Taunt, and as an answer to mons immune to Toxic.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Moonblast

Unaware. Sets up, maxes out attack, "yay I've won, easy sweep now...". *swaps in to Clefable*. Clefable is on the team to prevent Offensive teams taking advantage of the teams passivity, making sure that foes cannot set up. It also provides cleric support in Heal Bell as well as Wish support. Protect takes advantage of the team's status moves, while providing a guarantee on Wish recovery. Moonblast is STAB, and reduces its passivity. A wall which prevents setup sweepers from wreaking havoc, Clefable is a vital ingredient to this team.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Reversal

One of the two trappers of the team, Dugtrio handles Heatran, Xurkitree, Magnezone, Chansey etc., allowing the rest of the team to do their jobs. Pretty fast, pretty decent attack allows Dugtrio to trap, kill, rinse and repeat. Allows the team to actually do damage, EQ hits all the mons it traps and Stone Edge hits the ones it doesn't (Zard Y, Mega Pinsir, etc.). Reversal hits Chansey hard after Focus Sash, and Memento, albeit at the cost of Dug, can shutdown a major threat or grant a few turns to recover for Sableye, Gliscor or Toxapex.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

The other trapper, Magnezone beats Celesteela and Skarmory who can wall every mon in this team. It also handles Mega-Scizor and Ferrothorn who can wall Gliscor. Volt-Switch is used for double-switches and as chip damage. Thunderbolt hits both Celesteela and Skarmory, while also being STAB and good coverage. HP fire can be used to OHKO Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. Flash Cannon is a STAB which hurts those which resist electric, such as Landorus-T and Hippowdon. 124 Spe EVs are to outspeed minimum speed Mega Scizor. A slow Volt-Switch also can bring Dugtrio in unharmed.

Thanks.

Hello! I like the idea of your team and bringing back Gliscor a lot but I do have one suggestion that I think will for sure help out. Magnezone does not really fit on this team, you mention it traps steela and skarm but those two mons don't do anything to you anyways. Yes they wall everything but you wall them back and that is the more important thing when playing stall. I understand you have Sableye but running a stall team without defog is a big no-no to me. This ensures keeping your sash on duggy intact when the opponent brings something that easily gets rocks up vs stall like clef, sd chomp, sd lando. And speaking of SD lando your team looks relatively weak to that in addition to things like Pinsir and Heracross. With this in mind I suggest the following set over magnezone to alleviate all of the problems I just mentioned:

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Counter
- Spikes
- Defog

Shed Shell prevents you from getting trapped by magnezone. Counter with sturdy is big for your team too as it can take out many of the popular stall breakers if used correctly that you were kind of weak too. Hope this helps!

Edit: Id also consider running a lot more phys def on Clefable. I guess the amount is up to you but standard sets nowadays is pretty much max bold.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)