Project Monotype Player of the Week #23: Chras

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Hey everyone and welcome to the twenty-third installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week I have yung MPL Champion and former Monotype Room Voice; Chras! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. I'm picking off from where I left off in ORAS, for other Player of the Week interviews check out the Gen 6 Monotype forums. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

Chras

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
I'm 18years old, half belgian half polish, living in a small cityvillage in Belgium. My parents called me Alexander, my friends call me Olek, and here i'm known as Chrasnumbers. Atm i'm studying digital design and development which is amazingly fun. I'm also really active in 2 voluntary organisations with a goal to give all kids the ability to play and enjoy their childhood. Those 3 things take up all my time but i still manage to be on this server for atleast 3 hours a day, i don't even know how. I also play in a rockband switching between bass guitar and drum until we find a 5th member that plays one of those.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
I really liked munchlax when i saw the 7th pokemon movie for the first time, and i guess kid me transfered that feeling to adult me cause i still think it's one of the best pokemon.

How did you get your username?
Me and a friend made this rapsong when we were 13years old that went like: i don't eat grass, grass is for jews, i eat carrots, not jewfood. But because it was in dutch and rapped with a bad jewish accent it sounded like chras. I found it funny and i called myself chras001 on another game. When i came on this server i just took the same name, not thinking i could get chras as an alt, and one year later someone regged chras and i haven't been able to get it since :(.

How did you get into Monotype?
A messenger from the alliance league recruited me on the monotype ladder for my great skills with mienshao hariyama fighting.. I met rnbs and a few others there, before i quit monotype for a year. Then rnbs pm'd me again on main and he got me into smogon and btc, which is where i met most of the friends that i still have to this day.

What do you feel you're most known for?
People might know me for my amazing mpl performance/win, or me being an ex mono voice, or being a member of GoD/WoA, or just some forum memes. I also make art for tours and other smogon things so you might have seen something i've made.

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
I'm not an amazing builder so i use teams made by friends if i want to actually win a game. I do really love mew, since it has so many cool moves to chose from, which is perfect for some fresh innovation. It also got mewnium Z now, which could be a fun surprise to use on someone.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
Water, it's great for competitive teams, but also for memes with just so many decent mons and sets to play with.

What playstyle do you prefer?
HO

What is your favorite thing about Gen 7 Monotype?
The useless mons that still get used in monotype, like lanturn, alolan golem, alolan sandlash, haunter. Also Zmoves.

How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
I'm pretty happy with it. I feel like i know the community and i've made great friends in it. I'm in the position where i could quit for a year, and when i'd come back i'd still have a place to go, which is a good feeling to have.

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
I used to look up to a lot of players like rnbs, kaiser, feen.. who i think can now consider my friends, which doesn't mean i still look up to their skill. Atm tho it's mostly the mono players that are doing great in tours like wcop and spl, s/o lycan, sabella, p2, thorn. If i ever want to try and get actually good at this game, i know who to ask.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
I feel like it's hatch got alot better after he left behind gen 6 PU (a tier that has been holding ientei back too). I feel like he'll get in top shape just in time for MPL III. 6ti is also someone to watch out for, cause it seems that after 5 months of being a mono voice, he's actually starting to improve at the game and he's actually trying to get better. Might see good stuff from him in the future.

What advice would you give to newer players?
Talk less, lurk more, do whatever it takes to get your name on the monotype forms (if you get this reference you're amazing). But for real, just be in the room on an alt and on the forums without replying and study, and ladder on an alt too. Cause sadly enough a first impression can ruin your name and you asking newbie questions constantly could ruin your reputation for a long time. Don't be aids on an alt too, cause people will find out one way or another if you're so aids that it's memorable. Also, hold off on jokes if you don't know what you're talking about. People remember a failed joke more than 13 succesfull ones. After you're settled in, don't be afraid to start discussing on the forum, just be ready to have people disagree with you and if you realise you're wrong, admit it, cause it makes you look so much better. And join forum tours, not only monotype but also other tiers, cause experience in other tiers will in a way help your monotype playing. One last thing: being fake and dicksucking doesn't help ever.. unless your goal is to become monotype staff..

What is your favorite memory on Pokemon Showdown?
So many good memories.. From being a fighting gl in alliance and the thrill of lvl's feeling like they actually mattered, to chilling with friends in a call and fuck around. I've had so many laughs on this server that it's hard to pick just one moment.

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Torkoal @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Memento

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate
- U-turn

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This is a fire team Thorn gave me early sumo. It's really offensive which makes it fun to use. This is my go to team when i'm in the mood for some brainless laddering.

Well that concludes this interview. Feel free to post your questions below.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)