[Monotype/Grass] Whimsicott [QC: 0/3][GP: 0/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview: Whimsicott is by far one of the best supporters in Grass teams. With access to Stun Spore and Encore, it is able to check nearly all setup sweepers and threats, thanks to its ability, Prankster. Furthermore, its secondary Fairy type and Moonblast allows it to check notable Dragon, Dark and Fighting pokemon, such as Garchomp, Mandibuzz and Medicham, as well as outspeeding large part of the unboosted pokemon in Monotype Metagame due to its high 116 speed tier. However, Whimsicott's subpar special attack and bulk means it isn't dealing significant damage to targets neutral to its STABs or taking hits for long, and even with its high speed tier, it is vulnerable to common priorities in the tier, such as Ice Shard, Bullet Punch and Extremespeed, especially in sets with uninvested defenses. Still, the support Whimsicott provides to Grass team is strongly appreciated by its teammates, and it is an option that definitely should not be left unnoticed.

Saving this overview text for later.

[OVERVIEW]

**Grass**:

-Great support pokemon to Grass teams, thanks to its acess to Stun Spore, Encore and Prankster to check fast threats and setup sweepers.
-High speed tier lets it outspeed the majority of the unboosted pokemons in Monotype metagame
-Secondary Fairy STAB makes it able to check common Dark, Dragon and Fighting threats
-Subpar special attack and bulk, vulnerable to priorities and fails to deal significant damage to neutral targets

[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: Encore
move 4: Psychic / Giga Drain / Shadow Ball
item: Life Orb
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Moonblast is primary STAB, checks Dragon, Fighting and Dark pokemons that can be somewhat troublesome for the team otherwise
-Stun Spore and Encore makes the best of its ability, Prankster, stopping setup sweepers and threats in their tracks
-Last move option is the coverage: Psychic handles lured Poison types better, and Shadow Ball helps taking down Psychic switchins like Jirachi, Mew, Victini and so on. Giga Drain can still be used as a secondary STAB though.

Set Details
========

-Max speed/special attack with a Timid nature to outspeed 115 base speed unboosted pokemon with the highest damage output as possible
-Life Orb boosts the damage from Moonblast and the coverage Whimsicott is using, allowing it to secure key KOs on common Dragon, Fighting, and Dark pokemon which aren't really possible otherwise.
-Prankster ability lets it check out faster threats with Encore and Stun Spore more reliably.

Usage Tips
========

-Whimsicott is meant to check setup sweepers with Encore. It switches into predictable setup moves (SD Bisharp, DDance Gyarados) and stops them with the move.
-It uses Stun Spore to take down handful threats like Mega Pinsir, Togekiss, Mega Pidgeot and/or other fast threats that the team might have trouble handling.
-Should be used more offensively against Dragon, Fighting and Dark teams, taking down threats like Garchomp, Gallade, and Medicham with its STAB Moonblast and acting as a win condition vs said types

Team Options
========

-Mega Venusaur, Cradily and Ferrothorn make good partners, since they can take most super effective hits that would kill Whimsicott, such as Flying, Fire and Poison moves and Whimsicott, in return, can check Fighting types (notably Mega-Medicham) which is a huge threat for the core
-Breloom and Celebi appreciates the support Whimsicott provides, thanks to their offensive presence against Poison and Steel threats, and Stun Spore allows them to outspeed faster opposing pokemons.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

**Grass**:

-U-turn can be useful for momentum
-Nature Power is a decent priority although it lacks power, due to Whimsicott's already subpar special attack
-Tailwind and Memento are decent supportish options, although Whimsicott has a hard time fitting these moves in
-Choice Specs set with Switcheroo instead of Encore can work well, especially to cripple walls, but it comes at the cost of flexibility and isn't able to check setup sweepers effectively

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass**:

**Steel teams/types**: Whimsicott fails to do any meaningful damage to steel types and is taken down by nearly every Steel move

**Fire teams/types**: Same as for Steel, Whimsicott can't do any significant damage, but can still use Stun Spore to cripple these threats. Any Fire moves easily take Whimsicott down.

**Offensive Flying-types**: Mega Pidgeot and Togekiss (especially scarf set) can take down Whimsicott relatively easily with their STAB moves, although Whimsicott can paralyze them up before getting KOed.

**Priority Users**: Ice Shard, Bullet Punch and even Extreme Speed can take Whimsicott down fairly easily, especially considering its poor bulk on offensive sets.

**Special Walls**: Special walls like Chansey and Zapdos don't mind getting paralyzed by Stun Spore and can sponge every move that Whimsicott has, despite hating get hit by Leech Seed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, ready for QC!

(for now I only have this set, but I can include SubSeed later if its a must)

bacon edit: hey please use the correct formatting D:

Last edited by a moderator:
juleocesar, are you still interested in completing this?
Yes...I was waiting for QC checks and I kinda got confused now that someone told me the format wasn't appropriate.

(I nearly have all the text done from the previous thread so I can get it done early....Just need to make several changes)

Last edited:
Ok, this has been a long time coming, sorry for the delay. Nevertheless, there are a great number of issues with this analysis that give me a lot of pause.

A lot of ideas are stated but not defended by any reasoning. This makes it difficult for new players to understand why something you say is true and in what context. This is especially true in your set, where I can't understand your slashing order at all. This continues into Other Options, where, for example, the lack of a negative reason for U-turn makes me question why it's not on the set itself or mentioned in Moves. There's just not enough detail at all.

The big issue though is that even when you do justify your lines, they don't seem to make much sense. For example, you list Shadow Ball not just in moves but in the set itself as a viable slash. You give the claim that it helps Whimsicott check Psychic-types but:

252 SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 152+ SpD Mew: 127-151 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Jirachi: 117-140 (28.9 - 34.6%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Mew: 140-166 (34.6 - 41%) -- 62% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 161-192 (47.2 - 56.3%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO

Not really sure how this works out. You also recommend using Shadow Ball on Choice Scarf Victini for 50% instead of using Stun Spore to cripple it and allowing Mega Venusaur to counter it, so I'm also a little worried now too.

Before that, you also mention that Psychic is used to lure Poison-types... but Whimsicott can't actually OHKO the likes of Nidoking or even 2HKO Mega Venusaur, so again I'm not really sure where this was going. Mega Venusaur utterly walls Whimsicott anyway, being immune to Stun Spore, so why wouldn't the Poison user just switch it in safely, given that no Whimsicott set can ever beat it?

And as a final example, I'm completely unconvinced that Whimsicott is remotely a good Mega Medicham check:

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Whimsicott: 182-216 (69.4 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Given that Grass has no way to remove entry hazards, potential Fake Out damage, and the fact that Whimsicott will be taking Life Orb damage sooner or later with no recovery options, this is certainly not something I would be telling new players. Anyway, there's a lot more really just not right things, but this should suffice to explain my problems here.

And that's all just addressing what you do have. This analysis is also missing a substantial amount of information. I don't see Leftovers in Set Details or Pixie Plate in Other Options for alternative items. As you even mentioned yourself, you don't have the SubSeed set. No mention of Leech Seed outside of Checks and Counters (why even mention it here if you never recommend it to be used in the first place?) Speaking of which, your rather sparse Checks and Counters section is a problem. As is your Usage Tips section, which really doesn't say anything useful other than the first line. Your Team Options section not only lacks explanation, and has perhaps even false information, but it doesn't have either of the really good two teammates in Rotom-C and Serperior.

A lot of problems here that would be too difficult to fix without almost rewriting the entire analysis, which simply isn't QC's job, so I'm going to reject this.

QC Rejected 1/3

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm just gonna close this. Juleo, if you're interested in picking this back up just lmk on PS or via VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)