MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm okay with this compromise so long as at least most of the league agrees with it. Also we can institute a cap on number of years allowed to keep a player if you guys want.

I honestly don't like to post on here, but if you ask anyone I know my baseball stuff so if a spots open please don't write me off because. Haven't been here as long as some of you guys

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Is there a place where we can easily see last years draft results / projected values? I wanna plan out my six keepers but it's hard when I don't know how much Jacob DeGromm is going to cost this year for example, or how much I spent on Jose Bautista.

EDIT: I've currently narrowed my keepers list down to 9. This is tough, the pitfalls of having an elite team.

For projected values

Draft --> Draft Analysis --> Auction

Obviously subject to change. I guess the accepted projected values would have to be the day that keepers are finalized.

As a Yankee fan, this made me very happy.

Everyone knows Pablo Sandoval is fat. So is David Ortiz. And both guys are good hitters. Both guys are post season heroes. And David Ortiz, though he is a DH, has had a long career with no side effects of degrade. In the field, Sandoval's defense is apparently well regarded (his defensive statistics are kind of all over the place, but I keep reading how good he is). What my opinion is, and what is the opinion of most every person I have read who commented on it is that it's a non-issue that a large guy is large. He's athletic, he's in shape, and it doesn't affect him on the field. He came into camp at the same weight he ended the playoffs at. So there's no reason for the controversy.

However, I guess Yankees fans need something to laugh at, beings that your 3rd Baseman is coming off a year long PED suspension for getting caught with 'Roids again. Who is also the same guy who the year before was playing so bad, he was pinch hit by and subsequently benched in favor of Raul Ibanez. And the same guy who supposedly busted into the home of his cousin to threaten him and then urinate on his wall.

But hey. I can put my Boston bias beside me. ARod can help the Yankees out a whole bunch this season. I'm sure that his OBP will never be higher when guys like Ryan Dempster show him just how everyone in baseball see him...

And they won't even get thrown out either...

Last edited:
Rays don't have Maddon nor the architect Friedman anymore. I doubt that Kevin Cash is going to be able to pull together the Rays and be a Maddon or a Showalter. That and the TB core has become expensive and has been shipped off for what is really lackluster returns. I think it can be argued that SEA got a better return from the David Price deal than Tampa did...

You'd have better luck rooting for the Rockies to be the NL West Champs...

lol how is a year and a half of Austin Jackson more valuable what the Rays got in return... Smyly is a free agent in 2019, and Franklin still has a massive amount of service time.

The Rays made their 2015 worse, but it's not by massive amounts. They have to manage themselves in a way where they downgrade but grab extra quantity/service time - they don't have the financial flexibility to let people walk and need to hedge their present consistently with the future. That being said, they're still an average team, and with the lack of amazing teams in the AL they can make the playoffs (I mean, the Royals made the playoffs, and they were a pretty mediocre team that went all the way to the world series).

While the wins-loses column may not reflect it just because of how things can vary over the course of the year, there's an incredible amount of parity in baseball, and the AL especially (clear best two teams are Dodgers/Nationals), in a sorta freaky way. I'm trying to think of a team that I can't see any way that they manage to make the playoffs from the AL. The Twins? I may be gravely missing something but I think they're the worst team this year in the AL.

But outside of that? Every team could win their division theoretically (may be stretching with Astros but I think there is a non zero probability that they could, though it approaches zero quite rapidly) It's an exciting time.

To join with all the AL East talk cause obviously go Jays, it's a really interesting division. The Red Sox have the highest floor with just an amazing amount of average-above average position player surplus, I don't see much upside on the pitching but idk why people think their rotation is bad.

Jays lack both position player/pitching depth - they have interesting upside in their rotation (and holy crap a full year of Marcus Stroman) and while I think I'd be comfortable with having them as the best team in a fantasy world with no injuries they easily have the widest variation of potential outcomes in the division.

fuck if I know anything about the Orioles. They aren't any better than the Rays but I've given up saying anything more negative than that in fear of gratifying zorbees

biggie

champ
As an Orioles fan, CC Sabathia is also fat
Yes but 1) He doesn't really have to move around in the field or run the bases 2) He's only on the hook for 2 more seasons.

In regards to fantasy, we have 7 returning managers so far and there's been enough time so I'm going to open it up to new participants. So far greenlean and cbt are up for the first two spots. Should we have them take over rosters of non-returning managers or just pick from the FA pool? Also currently the draft is set for Saturday Mar. 28th at 12:15 PM EDT, with the keeper deadline 2 days prior. Please let me know if this will be an issue for you.

If it matters for anything, Fangraph projections have the Red Sox winning the east by 5 games over Toronto. Yankees and Rays are tied at 6 back, and the O's are 10 back and are the only team in the East with a negative run differential.

While it doesn't have a probability for making the playoffs, you can pretty much go by the standings and see where the chances lie. Sure, all of these teams are in the money for possibly winning the World Series. But you're chances of the Astros closing a projected 11 game gap (Rangers are 12 back Stall...) is going to be less likely of making the postseason than say the Dodgers, who have a 8 point projected lead. Assuming that teams are out now is a foolish notion. But saying some teams have a lot more world to move than others is a fair statement. And I don't see TB being world beaters without Maddon getting everything out of his players or Friedman making platoon match-ups or targeting depth pieces. TB could win with mediocrity before. I just don't see a lesser roster with a lesser staff pulling it together.

(By the way, mlb.com powered by baseball prospectus has GREAT postseason odds when the season starts to track things like this. It's based on a whole lot of measurements and projections and creates a nice chart to see the ebbs and flows of a season.)

---

BiGGiE I'm cool with the draft time for now. I don't know if work will interfere with that, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Wondering if 2 days to figure out all the keeper projects will be enough to get the draft pool allocated properly, but I think a lot of us will submit them early anyways. I can go ahead and submit them now if we are in agreement with taking the higher of last years value or half of this years projected value. Though... I dunno. Maybe I'll wait to finalize just because of injuries that will come along in ST.

nah Biggie I'm out, sorry. Didn't put enough time/effort in and have been really slacking in that department for a while, sorry!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yes but 1) He doesn't really have to move around in the field or run the bases 2) He's only on the hook for 2 more seasons.

In regards to fantasy, we have 7 returning managers so far and there's been enough time so I'm going to open it up to new participants. So far greenlean and cbt are up for the first two spots. Should we have them take over rosters of non-returning managers or just pick from the FA pool? Also currently the draft is set for Saturday Mar. 28th at 12:15 PM EDT, with the keeper deadline 2 days prior. Please let me know if this will be an issue for you.
That's 3:15 AM on a Sunday, so I dare say that's gonna be a massive issue for me lol. Could you push it back to Saturday or sunday night or something?

biggie

champ
That's 3:15 AM on a Sunday, so I dare say that's gonna be a massive issue for me lol. Could you push it back to Saturday or sunday night or something?
Since it's an auction draft and will most likely take a fair bit of time, I don't want to make it too late. Perhaps Saturday around 7 PM EDT?

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Let's start talking about 2015 fantasy baseball. I'll renew the Smogon league in a few, but who is in that wasn't in previously? Or vice versa?
Barely use the forums these days, I'm down to return again if a spot's open.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So we were talking about keepers and some way to prevent people with awesome buys (i.e. Stanton for $32) from retaining players unfairly over long periods of time. Since it's still a month before the draft we have time to add this in if we wish. The two options were as follows:

Option A: Implement a "keeper interest charge" whereby a players keeper cost goes up by a set amount each year ($ or %)

Option B: Implement a cap on the number of years a player can be owned (zorbees suggested 3 as optimal) including draft year without going back into the auction

I personally prefer Option B, it doesn't punish you for making smart buys and, in conjunction with our half-projected minimum retain price, doesn't unfairly advantage people who make really really smart/lucky buys.

biggie

champ
Yeah we have to do one of these two options. If we do the number of years cap, this would be the first year of a 3 year max that players could be kept. I'm personally leaning towards Option A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)