M&M Mix and Mega

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Deo-S does not get Blizzard. The Pidgeotite Deo-S set is very underwhelming, it can be OHKOed by most atespeed users, and when it comes to power, it simply lies on how annoying it can be with paralysis, since Psycho Boost, it's best offensive move, severely cripples it. Nasty Plot can make up for this lack of power but not only will it take a slot away from coverage (pick 3: Zap Cannon, Focus Blast, Psycho Boost, Ice Beam) it will be costly for Deoxys to setup because of how frail it is since Blissey 3hkoes with Seismic Toss / Shadow Ball or the opponent gets to switch in something better. The Gyaradosite version is clearly strong but needs quite a lot of support to pressure the defog user(s) or else it's just sack fodder.

I'm not great with wording and I'm on mobile but I hope I was clear enough.

E: Deo-D is also very underwhelming, while Cosmic Power + High Defenses + Recover seem great on paper, its abysmal HP makes it unable to face Blissey, who can just spam seismic toss. It also does nothing better than Toxic and stall which is easily dealt with using steel types or sablenite, both of which are very common. Slow Taunt is close to useless since any Mold Breaker rock setter or toxic user will still be able to do it regardless. Cresselia on the other hand has more than the double of deo-d's hp, which makes a lot of difference, and has pressure with Calm Mind + Moonblast / Psyshock.
See above posts countering your atespeed point. Also I invite you to read my post again, as the goal of the post was not advocating for a ban of deos/deod but to establish a less arbitrary standard for bans. You are arguing points I'm not making. I'm making this second post so ppl stop messaging me their opinions on deos/deod. Read my post for the overall point of it, don't just pick out some random thing that doesn't fall in line with your thinking and grasp to it

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
You say that it gets ohkod by most atespeed users, but this is because people run bad spreads. deo-s doesn't need to run max speed, i run enough for scarf xern + diancite lele and the extra hp lets it live most atespeeds as well as fleur from magearna, so just putting this out there
Well no, you run max speed to out-speed pidg xurk on webs teams and +2 standard geoxern or the rare +2 pdon. Investing in bulk is not important anyways until you are making 2hkoes into 3hkoes, which hp investment doesn't. Similarly living fleur cannon from mag is irrelevant too since you can't 1v1 it either ways.

Also while I won't disagree with MarkK that Deo-S is mediocre but your reasoning is kind of flawed in the sense that Deo-S isn't a mon which you use to wall-break but the one you use as a revenge killer not relying on espeed and having excellent coverage at the same time. It does have a cool niche of comfortably killing bulky stuff from that shaky 50-60 range and as I stated above paralyze things like geo-xern for HOes etc. While it suffers from kind of poor damage output in general, but it has a big asset in 200 Base Speed and that's what it should be used around. Also for Nasty Plot sets, you don't set up on Blissey fam, like every other special attacker you set up a nasty plot on the switch after which you 2hko.
Basically I am not saying it's the best mon or something, but complaining about it's damage output isn't exactly fair when it is not supposed to be 1hkoing stuff at all.

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
No atespeed user can OHKO it
252+ Atk Pixilate Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 205-243 (85 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Pixilate Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 190-225 (78.8 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 190-225 (78.8 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 190-225 (78.8 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Pixilate Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 201-237 (83.4 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Genesect Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 201-237 (83.4 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It's Adamant Nature, so if you run Jolly Nature, you can't OHKO it even after rocks (except Altarianite Entei, which have 31.3% chance of OHKO)
In return, DeoS OHKOes every atespeed user with either Psycho Boost if Altarianite, or Zap Cannon if Pinsirite (except Zygarde)

And with DeoS, you usually have Tapu Lele as a partner, who protects him from priorites of Weavile and atespeeds users, and get a Terrain-boosted Psycho Boost which OHKOes even Pinsirite Zygarde.

252 Atk Tough Claws Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-Speed: 186-218 (77.1 - 90.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
ye.

This means that you usually have 1 atespeed user in a team, DeoS can now outspeed everything and continue its Psycho-Boost RK spamming (or just paralyse another mon with Zap Cannon)
I want to point something not especially important - Genesect can actually OHKO Deo-S thanks to Download.
( also it must be Hasty in order to have Espeed )

+1 8 Atk Aerilate Genesect Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 231-273 (95.8 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Also Pidgeotite raises SpD BS by 5 points higher than Def, so this is the default boost for Download...
But it's not important since you can hijack that by giving 20 SpD IV to Deo-S.

See above posts countering your atespeed point. Also I invite you to read my post again, as the goal of the post was not advocating for a ban of deos/deod but to establish a less arbitrary standard for bans. You are arguing points I'm not making. I'm making this second post so ppl stop messaging me their opinions on deos/deod. Read my post for the overall point of it, don't just pick out some random thing that doesn't fall in line with your thinking and grasp to it
Marshadow should be banned, DeoS should be banned, DeoD should be banned​
You made it pretty clear, so I thought I should let you know that neither Deo-S nor Deo-D are nearly as strong as Marshadow.

Putting that aside, and coming back on topic, I do agree that the MnM Ubers banlist is quite messy. However, as SM is coming to an end and the existence of future SM MnM tournaments is doubtful, this would be perfect timing for cleaning up. A time where we suspect the Ubers (unofficially of course, it'd take too long to suspect them in the official ladder) and create a list of potentially viable mega-stone holding Ubers without making the meta too centralizing on them. With a little bit of help this would be made possible on other servers, and anyone who cares would be able to participate in the testing. The council, after getting feedback from the playtesting and theorycrafting of participant players would make the list (if there is one to be made) of the possible Ubers allowed to hold mega-stones. Then an official ladder suspect to allow these Ubers to be played by everyone and voted on by those who reach the requirements needed.

E: The list would obviously include, if need be, Ubers (or non-Ubers) who should not be allowed mega-stones as well.

This is a suggestion that can work and wouldn't clog the main server's ladder with any more than one suspect. It'd be a long period of testing and theorymoning to make the list, but I think this is the best solution for the problem, instead of quickunbanning handpicked Ubers and suspecting them later.
Thoughts? Chloe. InfernapeTropius11 Quantum Tesseract

Laxpras

You made it pretty clear, so I thought I should let you know that neither Deo-S nor Deo-D are nearly as strong as Marshadow.
bro really? you just took that out of the context lmao.
Here is the context:
I'm not advocating to unban all of these, my own opinion is quite different (Marshadow should be banned, DeoS should be banned, DeoD should be banned). I am advocating that the MnM leadership outline how these decisions should be made in a way that is different then "DeoS has lower stats so unban, but Darkrai can sleep so ban!"
And here is my recommendation to you again:
Read my post for the overall point of it, don't just pick out some random thing that doesn't fall in line with your thinking and grasp to it
well that was enough mnm thread for me for awhile..

edit to not have a shitpost:

Kyu-W is a really good mon for people to try out. With Mold Breaker Fusion Flare it hits typical Draco switch ins (Magearna) really hard, and Toxic breaks through Sablenite Blissey. This would pair well with Keldeo or something :~)

edit edit to below:
using other servers to test bans/unbans is not a great idea imo bc it creates a biased sample or those who actually go on a different server.

Last edited:
bro really? you just took that out of the context lmao.
Here is the context:

And here is my recommendation to you again:

well that was enough mnm thread for me for awhile..
Yes, I might not have addressed the main topic in my first post and only created meaningless side-discussion on the viability of the Deos, my bad.

However, I did have a suggestion for the problem you raised in my second post, and I would honestly love to hear your opinion on it.

e: formatting

Putting that aside, and coming back on topic, I do agree that the MnM Ubers banlist is quite messy. However, as SM is coming to an end and the existence of future SM MnM tournaments is doubtful, this would be perfect timing for cleaning up. A time where we suspect the Ubers (unofficially of course, it'd take too long to suspect them in the official ladder) and create a list of potentially viable mega-stone holding Ubers without making the meta too centralizing on them. With a little bit of help this would be made possible on other servers, and anyone who cares would be able to participate in the testing. The council, after getting feedback from the playtesting and theorycrafting of participant players would make the list (if there is one to be made) of the possible Ubers allowed to hold mega-stones. Then an official ladder suspect to allow these Ubers to be played by everyone and voted on by those who reach the requirements needed.

E: The list would obviously include, if need be, Ubers (or non-Ubers) who should not be allowed mega-stones as well.

This is a suggestion that can work and wouldn't clog the main server's ladder with any more than one suspect. It'd be a long period of testing and theorymoning to make the list, but I think this is the best solution for the problem.
Thoughts? Chloe. InfernapeTropius11 Quantum Tesseract
Only speaking for myself here, not as part of a council position: Personally, I would be up for testing in mnm ubers on Rom or wherever with anyone who wants to make a case for a mon not being broken. I would, however, want a couple of things before I was comfortable vouching for an unban, namely:
- A solid amount of calculation work showing a decent number of answers; this can come in the form of faster pokemon that can KO or Slower walls, but preferably some of both
- A few high level games with only that pokemon legalized extra showing it as demonstably managable
- And a solid reason for unban, as outlined here

E: Based on just gut instinct the onyl ones I'd really be at all comfortable with considering would be Solgaleo, Zekrom, and Lugia, but its not absolute either way.

Laxpras

ya going back to deo-s cuz I'm
1. Tired of seeing it allowed
2. Tired of people not realizing how broken it is

Going to paste the VR through the B rank and
1. For defensive mons: do they check it
2. For offensive mons: do they win 1v1
S Rank

Pdon wins 1v1. Works as a check as well.
A Rank

A+
Deo S 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
Does not check (Nasty Plot, Zap Cannon, Psycho Boost, etc)
A
Does not check. +2 Psycho Boost OHKOs
Does not check. +2 Focus Blast wins
-
DeoS wins 1v1 unless Gene has a +1 boost and espeed
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
50/50 on Sucker Play
DeoS wins 1v1 if Zyg has essentially any prior damage, otherwise Zyg wins 1v1 if both at full:
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 286-337 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Pixilate Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Deoxys-Speed: 131-155 (54.3 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A-
Depends on situation, not a reliable check.
Good check, lack of reliable recovery is still an issue.
Not a check.
Depends on Xerneas set. DeoS can outspeed even when Xern is +2. Also can Zap Cannon to remove Geo speed boost.
B Rank

B+
Does not check
DeoS has favorable roll to win 1v1:
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 348-409 (93.8 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Does not check
If it has disguise, Mimkyu wins 1v1. Otherwise DeoS wins
Depends on set. Hoopa-U generally wins 1v1.
Deo-S wins 1v1.
DeoS wins 1v1.
Does not check
Why is this B+ rank lmao. I don't even know what to calc but this is shit in the meta anyway
B
Deo-S wins 1v1
Deo-S wins 1v1
Deo-S wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
Ho-Oh wins 1v1 but cannot switch in as a check
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
Lunala wins 1v1
Why is this ranked B? Anyway, DeoS wins 1v1 on a likely roll:
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Rayquaza: 333-393 (95.4 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
DeoS wins 1v1
Depends on set/situation.

So in the S, A, and B rank we have:
A couple reliable checks: PDon, Mag, Kind of (not rlly) Ho-Oh, and kind of (not rlly) Cresselia.
A couple mons that win the 1v1: PDon, Yveltal (50/50 on Sucker play - also no one uses this anymore), Mimikyu (If disguise), Hoopa-U, Ho-Oh, and possibly Xurk, depending on the situation, Genesect only if it has altariate and a download boost.

Deo-S literally beats everything else
Looking at the checks, you'll also notice that they lack reliable recovery.
Offensive mons that can beat DeoS still have to worry about para spam.

And this isn't even getting into the mold breaker set that essentially guarantees 2 layers of hazards.

Can we please stop disregarding this mon? If you want to disagree if it's broken, cool bro, but to act like there isn't an argument to be made just makes you look ignorant tbh. And if there's an argument to be made on both sides, isn't that a warrant for a suspect? Especially since this an Uber randomly unbanned without reason by the previous leadership as the current leadership already acknowledged?

banning zap cannon would also fix the issue

I stopped for the most part using Pidgeotite Deoxys (as incredibly powerful as it is) because Gyaradosite hazards are that good. It's not fun, it's not fair, and as good as defensive MnM options are they pale in comparison to the offensive options (Lucarionite, Pidgeotite, Metagrossite, Lopunnite, Altarianite, the list of hideously powerful Mega Stones is vast) so good luck finding room to spin or Defog with at minimum Rocks and a layer of Spikes.

Not saying it can't be done, I know I've lost more than enough games to prove that. But I remember a recent tour in which Quantum Tesseract, one of THE premier MnM players, used Gyaradosite basically every round and there was little-to-nothing that his opponents could do to shut down offensive pressure after Rocks and sometimes Spikes went up for free.

ya going back to deo-s cuz I'm
1. Tired of seeing it allowed
2. Tired of people not realizing how broken it is

Going to paste the VR through the B rank and
1. For defensive mons: do they check it
2. For offensive mons: do they win 1v1
S Rank

Pdon wins 1v1. Works as a check as well.
A Rank

A+
Deo S 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
A
-
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
50/50 on Sucker Play
DeoS wins 1v1 if Zyg has essentially any prior damage, otherwise Zyg wins 1v1 if both at full:
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 286-337 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Pixilate Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Deoxys-Speed: 131-155 (54.3 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A-
Not a check.
Depends on Xerneas set. DeoS can outspeed even when Xern is +2. Also can Zap Cannon to remove Geo speed boost.
B Rank

B+
Does not check
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 348-409 (93.8 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Does not check
Deo-S wins 1v1.
DeoS wins 1v1.
Does not check
Why is this B+ rank lmao. I don't even know what to calc but this is shit in the meta anyway
B
Deo-S wins 1v1
Deo-S wins 1v1
Deo-S wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
Lunala wins 1v1
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Rayquaza: 333-393 (95.4 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
DeoS wins 1v1

So in the S, A, and B rank we have:
A couple reliable checks: PDon, Mag, Kind of (not rlly) Ho-Oh, and kind of (not rlly) Cresselia.
A couple mons that win the 1v1: PDon, Yveltal (50/50 on Sucker play - also no one uses this anymore), Mimikyu (If disguise), Hoopa-U, Ho-Oh, and possibly Xurk, depending on the situation, Genesect only if it has altariate and a download boost.

Looking at the checks, you'll also notice that they lack reliable recovery.
Offensive mons that can beat DeoS still have to worry about para spam.

And this isn't even getting into the mold breaker set that essentially guarantees 2 layers of hazards.

Can we please stop disregarding this mon? If you want to disagree if it's broken, cool bro, but to act like there isn't an argument to be made just makes you look ignorant tbh. And if there's an argument to be made on both sides, isn't that a warrant for a suspect? Especially since this an Uber randomly unbanned without reason by the previous leadership as the current leadership already acknowledged?
I dont have time for a full commentary right now, but please keep in mind that a) several of these pokemon (such as altarianite landorus and standard arcanine) doin fact win 1v1, and in any case these viability rankings are outdated to the point that this is not an accurate representation of Deoxys-S' impact on the metagame. The new viability rankings should be posted shortly by Chloe. If you want to do a more accurate version.

Laxpras

I dont have time for a full commentary right now, but please keep in mind that a) several of these pokemon (such as altarianite landorus and standard arcanine) doin fact win 1v1, and in any case these viability rankings are outdated to the point that this is not an accurate representation of Deoxys-S' impact on the metagame. The new viability rankings should be posted shortly by Chloe. If you want to do a more accurate version.
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 330-388 (103.4 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 330-388 (102.8 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

mhm

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
S Rank

Pdon wins 1v1? Works as a check as well.
252+ Atk Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 220 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 250-295 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 76+ SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 405-477 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
A Rank

A+
Deo S 1v1 ?
252+ SpA Deoxys-Speed Zap Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Golisopod: 310-366 (87.5 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
DeoS wins 1v1
A
-
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
50/50 on Sucker Play
252+ SpA Deoxys-Speed Zap Cannon vs. 0 HP / 24 SpD Yveltal: 332-392 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A-
Not a check.
B Rank

B+
Does not check
Does not check
Deo-S wins 1v1.
DeoS wins 1v1.
Does not check
B
Deo-S wins 1v1
Deo-S wins 1v1
Deo-S wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1
Lunala wins 1v1
DeoS wins 1v1

Lots of mons can take on huge chunks of the meta, so until we get a consistent set of guidelines as to how broken a mon has to be in order to be considered for a suspect or banned, we'll have to stick with the current method of picking current relevant mons that the community decides to debate around and hoping for the best. or hoping for Chloe to make a dictator move
Doesn't Thunder make up for Zap Cannon in any non-hax-reliant matchups? Or is the 10BP difference too much of a hindrance?

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
I've been saying ban zap, but y'all laughed at me. Now it turns out people are agreeing (just like back when I called baton pass broken both in this and ou but I digress). Deo is too fast and not that frail. The ice beam set does even better vs offense but running rocks or nasty plot either lets you have more utility or even trash stall.
And primal Groudon does not beat my set, as I run enough bulk (and I just put some defense investment to beat download Genesect) to take a hit and you kill back vs spdef if nasty plot, or just kill offensive versions. Really, deo is only weak to priority, kind of like marshadow. And even the pure hazards set is good! So I would recommend a suspect
EDIT: and when i say ice beam is better vs offense, i mean you dont have to psycho boost, switch out, then come back in, allowing you to avoid hazard damage and take one espeed and deal more damage back. but i think 4th move rocks is probably best as it, along with zap cannon free para, allows you to do something at -2

Last edited:
Deoxys-speed does well versus a lot of non priority offense and can also power through some of its defensive checks with nasty plot. But while it seems amazing it requires either a nasty plot which requires a free turn due to a forced switch or a prediction which could be risky. Even then you might have to fire off a psycho boost to get the kills you need, which will either kill or severely hamper your momentum. Another thing is that atespeed still does check Deo-s pretty well due to how after just one or two stealth rock switchins Deoxys is within range of unboosted espeeds, those switches are something that can be forced due to psycho boost drops. Something to note about the psyterrain bit is that there are only 4 turns for Deo to abuse if it switches in immediately, which is very limited considering trying to include a boosting turn, getting in Deo safely, breaking a defensive check, you can only do so much before you've vulnerable to priority again. Along with all of that if you do run a lele with Deoxys-Speed then you lose out on utilizing any other offensive threat or defensive wall, which is very limiting to your teambuilding. Deo-s seems extremely good on paper, but in practice it works as a one shot glass cannon usually that can break through some defensive threats, something that is very good at what it does but not meta breaking. If atespeed were not as common or as good as it is now with how often zygarde is seen (which is not ohko'd by unboosted psycho boost and can dragon dance against you), then maybe Deoxys speed might have to be looked at. But in the current meta it is not good enough in practice to warrant a suspect.

Oh, and zap cannon isn't getting banned/suspected, this has been discussed before and won't be discussed again.

252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 330-388 (103.4 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 330-388 (102.8 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

mhm
Both of these run bulk investment in the current metagame. Landorus-T doesnt run full Hp, and thus does have a chance to be koed, but its not a very good ome; arcanina has no chance. There are also other limiting factors on deoxys, like even mons that dont 1v1 in can cripple it to revenge killing, or how entry hazards can turn remove its moderate -ate resistance, or how psycho boost can allow pokemon to set up on it, or even how reliant on prediction it is. There's no doubt that Deoxys-S is a potent pokemon in the metagame, but much of even that is from its hazard lead set.

Additionally, the new Mix and mega VR is out.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Both of these run bulk investment in the current metagame. Landorus-T doesnt run full Hp, and thus does have a chance to be koed, but its not a very good ome; arcanina has no chance. There are also other limiting factors on deoxys, like even mons that dont 1v1 in can cripple it to revenge killing, or how entry hazards can turn remove its moderate -ate resistance, or how psycho boost can allow pokemon to set up on it, or even how reliant on prediction it is. There's no doubt that Deoxys-S is a potent pokemon in the metagame, but much of even that is from its hazard lead set.

Additionally, the new Mix and mega VR is out.
I love how deo takes hazard damage so your espeed can kill but you don't account for rocks damage, after which both of them die.
And what is setting up against a mon that knows an attacking twave? Only ground types really, but primal Groudon can only get either an SD or a Polish on the switch, not both, so it is beatable. Zygod I guess can come in, but there are checks to zygarde that can beat it even after one DD/coil like pinsirite Metagross which I have now realized is heat.
"Mons that don't 1v1 it can cripple it" - yes the main way to beat it is to espeed twice, but deo would still get at least one kill and then give you switch initiative afterwards, so it's still a good trade for the deo user. Also this would be assuming I don't also have a tapu Lele which is a great partner for deo

Last edited:
Simple, cool and good, this Regice, which was insignificant before mega evolved into a pidgeot, got a great offensive, with rock polish you will overcome almost all speeds of the game, and a very high sp.atk and moves who aways will hite because of no guard, but beware! You'll always be hit by stone egdes.

Regice @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Rock Polish

Last edited:
Dsiclaimer: This is my personal opinion as a MnM player, not a statement as a council member.

I'd like to talk about what is probably the most broken pokemon in the Metagame right now: Gothitelle.
upload_2017-9-27_20-29-31.png

What does Gothitelle do?
Gothitelle traps threats, clearing the way for teammates to sweep. The most common set is:
Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Rest
- Taunt

This allows Gothitelle to pick off most passive pokemon; of note, support arceus, blissey, and toxapex, but it is not limited to them, s you can see here . For instance, a core of primal groudon+Gothitelle can freely click precepice blades. When the foe brings in arceus ground on primal groudon, it must either recover, and be trapped by gothitelle, or hard switch, and then be unable to switch into primal groudon again. No matter what, the gothitelle player wins, protentially even without switching in. The same goes for any other sweeper, such as trapping Blissey for Pidgeotite Gengar or Toxapex for Keldeo. Goth can also trap other pokemon depending on the team; a faster, physically defensive set with charm can freely remove Primal Groudon or zygarde (although unlike support arceus it cannot switch in), or even niche sets likechoice specs set with hidden power fire if buzzwole really needs to go, but for the purpose of this post I'll be focusing on the main set and why it's banworthy by itself.

Why does this mean Gothitelle is broken?
Simply put, trapping as a mechanic is broken, simply because it gives so little counterplay to opposing players and is largely mindless in its use at most levels of play. Unless they run a pursuit trapper (and the only good-ish one is weavile and it's still mediocre as a trapper), there is no "play" that they can make to avoid gothitelle, and even then its not in their favor. It turns some of the most vital role compression in the metagame into dead weight, and makes defensive or balanced playstyles borderline unplayable when it comes on at team preview; simply put, building such a team withotu pokemon trappable by gothitelle is almost entirely impossible without resorting to extremely niche sets. To make matters worse, the other five pokemon can pretty mcuh tailor themself entirely to beating offense, as Gothitelle handles most stall teams just by itself as long as there is even a modicum of offensive power backing it, and is still useful to trap pokemon like shuckle and/or to be used as death fodder to make sure something stays in to be set up on.

Is Gothitelle this effective in practice?
Quite simply, yes. I had a lot more replays saved up, but unfortunately I lost them with the rest of the old replays at the backup death. I do, however, still have some solid examples:
VS Ironed Sandwhich : Goth traps and Koes two pokemon, allowing me to easily sweep, and could have gone for a third or foruth but I decided to speed up since that was already enough to win me.
Vs OMPl Player ChazmicSupernove: Goth allows me to put him in a no win situtation with groundceus, removign his only real zygarde answer and winning the game despite him havign checks to every pokemon on my team.
Vs veteran player M'joe'ra: Puts him in a no win position with groundceus and Primal groudon to let me bust past his defensive core and get the win despite him having checks for my entire team.
Vs Jrdn, former MnM council member and veteran player: Traps fairyceus and just lets lunala run over his team
VS OMPl player Mark K: Shows the depths to which semistall has to go in order to remotely answer Goth (it still could have trapped his skarmory, of note), and how weak that makes it to everythign else.
Vs Mark K again: Traps and removes Arceus-ground, leaving him no real way to switch into fast offensive pokemon.

How would Gothitelle work on a team?
This is the team I've been using; it uses gothitellle to remove answer to Zygarde and Lunala on offense / zygarde and groudon on stall so they can roll over the opposing team. It's highly consistant both on aldder and in challenge. However, gtoh is both extremely powerful and verstaile, so it's by no means limited to this, or even this kind of, team.
Zygarde @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Rest
- Taunt

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Ice Beam

Magearna @ Sablenite
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Heart Swap

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Is there any counterplay?
There are four ways to play against gothitelle. First off, you can run hyper offense, and then hope you can win the 5 v 6 despite their team being tailored to do well. Secondly, you can try to run a defensive team that doesn't give ti any openings, but this is exceedingly difficult to do without autolosing to many common pokemon. Third, you can runa pursuit trapper and make predicitons, but this is unreliable and means you need to with the 50-50; sometimes more than once. The final way is to completely outclass your opponent in terms of skill, so that you can win without whatever pokemon it traps, usually by means of offensive pressure and taking advantage of gothitelle being somewhat passive.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
But how much can Goth really trap? Let's go through the VR.
Obviously it loses to both things in S. It does trap support arceus and all blissey sets, but loses to Offensive SD arceus and magerna volt switches out. Deoxys Speed beats you if running nasty plot or taunt, and the gyaradosite set laughs its ass off. Kartana and lele also laugh at you. Xerneas outspeeds, so it can set up before you taunt it, and then moonblast for the kill (+3 moonblast from the z geo set 2hkos you even if you calm mind twice in that time, and +2 moonblast from power herb 2shots you even if you cm once). Zapdos often runs u-turn or volt switch so another thing you fail to trap. So far you only trap blissey and some arceus sets in the high VR ranks. I don't want to go through the rest, as looking at a- i see four offensive mons that beat you, and gyaradosite toxapex beats some goth sets (though it loses to yours because of taunt. however, sablenite haze pex can out pp stall you if they play smart and never let you rest).
Goth has a nice niche, but it is extremely matchup dependent and is often completely useless vs HO as you admitted, and outside of blissey and arceus, what does it trap on stall? giratina is a ghost, many mons run pivot moves, etc. Also, you have to win 50-50s with goth, as if they double on your switch to goth into an attacker, you most likely have to pick a fodder. Unless I saw 40% stall on the ladder, I would not bring goth, and I certainly do not think it is broken.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Gothitelle isn't a perfect 'mon and it obviously loses to hyperoffense. But the only reason why I agree with QT is that Gothitelle's Shadow Tag is just an uncompetitive way to trap and make the most important walls in the tier setup fodders. At the same time I was thinking if Dugtrio is really healthy for MnM and I am not sure about it but I can confidently say Gothitelle is surely a problem because Sablenite Blissey and Latiasite Toxapex will just be trapped and removed while Gothitelle gets to +6 using Calm Mind, severely pressuring the next switch-in that attempt to revenge kill.

Also I don't think "it is useless against hyperoffense" is the most appropriate reason if Gothitelle should not be banned because if we take a careful look at banned 'mons from Mnm in the past via suspect, we can arrive to a thought that being broken doesn't necessarily have a correlation to being able to beat every archetypes of team. Dragonite could theoretically be on control with hazard lead and offensive pressure, Pheromosa is taken out by a single priority move, Shaymin-S is revenge killed by Pinsirite / Glalitite users, and Marshadow just sucked against stall. Just because there are counterplays against these threats doesn't mean we can immediately assume they are not banworthy.

Back to Gothitelle, I would say I won't be surprised if it ends up being nominated as the next suspect target because just by existing, it immensely pressures and forces support Arceus forms, Blissey, Toxapex, or pretty much all Defog users without phazing move to think twice before switching in in the first place. After they are removed, the whole team will be susceptible to otherwise-would-be-managable-threats like Primal Groudon and other setup sweepers because they no longer have their precious defensive backbones. Pretty much Gothitelle invalidates balance teams from which each walls are vitally important.

I would suggest suspecting Shadow Tag and not Gothitelle, as Shadow Tag Mega Gengar is as uncompetitive as Gothitelle because it can trap and remove defensive mons as well. It not only traps, it lures in Blissey pre-mega, because Gengar is a great user of other stones as well, like Pidgeotite - which is best walled by Blissey which is immune to Hypnosis thanks to Magic Bounce.

It's pretty surprisng to me how apparently Gothitelle is quite uncommon (according to the OM room people I asked) in this metagame despite it being quite established on some other Ubers-like metas like Ubers itself and AG. You can also use Charm and Confide to PP stall the enemy, which comes in handy trapping more physically orientated things like Celesteela (though IDK how common that is in this).

Just as I'd wanted to post this little thought another comment caught my attention:
Also I don't think "it is useless against hyperoffense" is the most appropriate reason if Gothitelle should not be banned because if we take a careful look at banned 'mons from Mnm in the past via suspect, we can arrive to a thought that being broken doesn't necessarily have a correlation to being able to beat every archetypes of team.
What you've failed to understand here is the severity of just how badly it performs against this playstyle. It's not a case of 'None of the other suspected Pokemon can beat every style therefore Gothitelle being poor against Hyper Offense is irrelevant' but rather, 'Gothitelle is AWFUL against more offensive styles.' So ya, just wanted to correct you there.

I've only seen Gothitelle as a CM trapper that mega evolved after it finished something passive off. Seeing as its only recovery move is Rest its capability is diminished if Electric or Misty Terrain is up.

But how much can Goth really trap? Let's go through the VR.
Obviously it loses to both things in S. It does trap support arceus and all blissey sets, but loses to Offensive SD arceus and magerna volt switches out. Deoxys Speed beats you if running nasty plot or taunt, and the gyaradosite set laughs its ass off. Kartana and lele also laugh at you. Xerneas outspeeds, so it can set up before you taunt it, and then moonblast for the kill (+3 moonblast from the z geo set 2hkos you even if you calm mind twice in that time, and +2 moonblast from power herb 2shots you even if you cm once). Zapdos often runs u-turn or volt switch so another thing you fail to trap. So far you only trap blissey and some arceus sets in the high VR ranks. I don't want to go through the rest, as looking at a- i see four offensive mons that beat you, and gyaradosite toxapex beats some goth sets (though it loses to yours because of taunt. however, sablenite haze pex can out pp stall you if they play smart and never let you rest).
Goth has a nice niche, but it is extremely matchup dependent and is often completely useless vs HO as you admitted, and outside of blissey and arceus, what does it trap on stall? giratina is a ghost, many mons run pivot moves, etc. Also, you have to win 50-50s with goth, as if they double on your switch to goth into an attacker, you most likely have to pick a fodder. Unless I saw 40% stall on the ladder, I would not bring goth, and I certainly do not think it is broken.
Gothitelle can in fact trap pokemon like Zygarde quite readily with charm, but despite the rank that's generally far less relevant a set for good reason, and goth as a broken pokemon is so irrespective of that capability. While it is true that Goth's winning matchups are not particularly amazing in number, unlike every other pokemon on the VR, when it comes in one something it beats there's no response. While terrakion and gothitelle both check blissey, the Blissey player can just switch in their Arceus-Fairy or Giratina against Terrakion. Versus goth, however, they just lost one of their most important pokemon and are now mostly defenseless against Tapu Koko or Yveltal. Gothitelle can also actually often trap several offensive threats even with its standard set even if it cannot hard siwtch in, such as Keldeo and terrakion (Swtch in on CC or Diancite).

On stall, Goth doesn't trap the entire team, but it doesn't need to even come close to that; in most matches against defensive teams, it doesnt need to predict either. The archetypal example is primal groudon - either the foe brings in their check (and unless their check is giratina, which works but isnt super reliable against +2 blades), they either sack something or bring in their (trappable) answer. once they do the latter, they can either recover and be trapped or swicth out and both risk pdon staying in and be much less able to answer pdon again. Even if they do have giratina and can soft check pdon enouugh elsewhere to let it do its job, however, you can do the same with one of the other 5 offensive pokemon you have, such as Zygarde or Lunala or Tapu Koko. There are a surprising number of (most, actually) viable anti offense pokemon that are also only viably checked by trappable pokemon on stall, which means that stall must either run niche picks and just plain miss many threats regardless of gothitelle by running bad pokemon to fulfil roles, or lose to gothitelle.

From there, you can freely run 5 other exceleltn anti offense pokemon (my team is an example of this, but there are tons of others like scarfxern, Sub SD Terrakion, and Zygarde, which means that you can take on most teams on even+ footing while just removing stall and many balances. I'd highly reccomend trying it out for yourself.
I would suggest suspecting Shadow Tag and not Gothitelle, as Shadow Tag Mega Gengar is as uncompetitive as Gothitelle because it can trap and remove defensive mons as well. It not only traps, it lures in Blissey pre-mega, because Gengar is a great user of other stones as well, like Pidgeotite - which is best walled by Blissey which is immune to Hypnosis thanks to Magic Bounce.
I would't be entirely opposed to this, but I do want to make clear that even with perish song, Gengar is significantly less threatening of a trapper in terms of targets and splashability than Gothitelle.
What you've failed to understand here is the severity of just how badly it performs against this playstyle. It's not a case of 'None of the other suspected Pokemon can beat every style therefore Gothitelle being poor against Hyper Offense is irrelevant' but rather, 'Gothitelle is AWFUL against more offensive styles.' So ya, just wanted to correct you there.
While gothitelle is far less effective against hyper offense, it's not useless even there. It badly hurts webs hyper offense, as it removes shuckle (while preventign the webs with taubnt) and even if shuckle isn't sent out it still leaves the team without the sticky webs they need to get on the feild. It also helps choice scarfers, as Xerneas can be answered (and trapped) with any move bar Moonblast or Lunala with any move not named moongheist, and even in the event of none of that being relevant supports an extremely effective anti-offense build and can further support that as a death fodder. It's not going to do much to win you the matchup, but it's not like gothitelle teams do particularly poorly against hyper offense.

Last edited:

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Gothitelle can in fact trap pokemon like Zygarde quite readily with charm, but despite the rank that's generally far less relevant a set for good reason, and goth as a broken pokemon is so irrespective of that capability. While it is true that Goth's winning matchups are not particularly amazing in number, unlike every other pokemon on the VR, when it comes in one something it beats there's no response. While terrakion and gothitelle both check blissey, the Blissey player can just switch in their Arceus-Fairy or Giratina against Terrakion. Versus goth, however, they just lost one of their most important pokemon and are now mostly defenseless against Tapu Koko or Yveltal. Gothitelle can also actually often trap several offensive threats even with its standard set even if it cannot hard siwtch in, such as Keldeo and terrakion (Swtch in on CC or Diancite).

On stall, Goth doesn't trap the entire team, but it doesn't need to even come close to that; in most matches against defensive teams, it doesnt need to predict either. The archetypal example is primal groudon - either the foe brings in their check (and unless their check is giratina, which works but isnt super reliable against +2 blades), they either sack something or bring in their (trappable) answer. once they do the latter, they can either recover and be trapped or swicth out and both risk pdon staying in and be much less able to answer pdon again. Even if they do have giratina and can soft check pdon enouugh elsewhere to let it do its job, however, you can do the same with one of the other 5 offensive pokemon you have, such as Zygarde or Lunala or Tapu Koko. There are a surprising number of (most, actually) viable anti offense pokemon that are also only viably checked by trappable pokemon on stall, which means that stall must either run niche picks and just plain miss many threats regardless of gothitelle by running bad pokemon to fulfil roles, or lose to gothitelle.

From there, you can freely run 5 other exceleltn anti offense pokemon (my team is an example of this, but there are tons of others like scarfxern, Sub SD Terrakion, and Zygarde, which means that you can take on most teams on even+ footing while just removing stall and many balances. I'd highly reccomend trying it out for yourself.

I would't be entirely opposed to this, but I do want to make clear that even with perish song, Gengar is significantly less threatening of a trapper in terms of targets and splashability than Gothitelle.

While gothitelle is far less effective against hyper offense, it's not useless even there. It badly hurts webs hyper offense, as it removes shuckle (while preventign the webs with taubnt) and even if shuckle isn't sent out it still leaves the team without the sticky webs they need to get on the feild. It also severely limits choice scarfers, as Xerneas can be trapped with any move bar Moonblast or Lunala with any move not named moongheist, and even in the event of none of that being relevant supports an extremely effective anti-offense build and can further support that as a death fodder. It's not going to do much to win you the matchup, but it's not like gothitelle teams do particularly poorly against hyper offense.
lunala is a ghost it can't be trapped lol
scarf xern rarely clicks anything besides moonblast, as in like never
will respond to rest later i have to go to class
Ok responding to rest
I agree there is a difference between a Pokemon like terrak and goth when checking blissey. But I don't understand how a team can have 5 excellent anti offense Pokemon that apparently also only have trappable answers on stall. It seems that whatever these are, such as primal Groudon, if they are excellent vs offense and apparently also have only one check on stall builds which is trappable, maybe they are the issue. And Gengar is used as a trapper vs basically blissey, things weak to it's stabs, but also anything slower on offense. They function very differently. Also how is sub ss terrak good vs offense? It dies to any priority. And finally, yes you trap shuckle but if you face a banettite set, it gets them both up. Smeargle with priority spore also does the job and deo-s spikes on you. And I'm sorry, saying the words "support as death fodder" is not an argument. Literally anything can be a death fodder.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)