Metroid: Samus Returns coming to Nintendo 3DS

"A Metroid adventure called Metroid: Samus Returns is in the works for Nintendo 3DS, and it will hit Sept. 15. Nintendo of Americap resident Reggie Fils-Aime debuted the first gameplay from the project during Nintendo’s E3 2017 Treehouse livestream.

Unlike last August’s Metroid Prime Federation Force, this is a full-fledged, sidescrolling Metroid game. Samus Aran is back in the driver’s seat — hence that title.

The title is reminiscent of Metroid 2: Return of Samus, as is the gameplay. The game is a “reimagination” of the 1991 Game Boy game, as members of Nintendo said during the stream. Just like that game, there will be plenty of divergent paths, bosses to take on and more in Samus Returns. As Nintendo said, it’s a “classic 2D Metroid to a T.”

Samus will have new abilities as well. These include melee counter, which allows her to get critical hits on enemies. She also has a full-range of motion for more precise aiming, as opposed to the 45-degree angle that she shoots at in the Game Boy game.

Mercury Steam is developing the Nintendo 3DS game, according to Nintendo. The studio is best known for the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow games."

Schermafbeelding 2017-06-25 om 13.19.16.png

So, anyone else hyped for this title? I really somewhat left my handheld consoles behind, but when I heard this title was coming out I got really stoked. I'm definitely planning to buy this and play it to death. The unique Super Metroid (SNES) feel and look is what triggered me. Though I'm wondering, will my 2DS and 3DS (with the old processor) be able to smoothly run this game? Either way, I'm definitely getting it.

Let's discuss!

Last edited:
Not a Metroid fan, but I'm probably going to pick up this game. I tried getting into a few of the other Metroid titles like Super Metroid, but really couldn't due to the games various complexities, so I think this game would be a nice starting point for someone like me.

For Metroid fans, I think this game will be a complete disappointment compared to AM2R.

Never played AM2R. Just looked it up and it seems like a very good game. Hope Samus Returns won't disappoint...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)