Media Metalheads Thread III

Just got around to listening to the Violent Sleep album this afternoon. I'll have to give most of the tracks a few re-listens to get a better feel for them and see which ones I really like, except for Clockworks because holy crap it's insane lol. This track alone makes the album for me.

-edit-

Oh yeah, also some new Animals As Leaders. Personally, I love the direction they're going with this album

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
What the fuck?? Demilich is playing in my city on Sunday. Fucking Demilich? They play shows? What??

echoin bkc a bit, but check out the new ulcerate; savage stuff, superhuman drumming, and maybe it's just me but I feel they channel their sludge tendencies particularly well here. i think u can still get in on some of the dopest splatter vinyl ive seen @ their bandcamp if ur about that.

sidebar, does this feel like a particularly strong year for metal to anyone else? played out q, and im sure at least a little of that can be chocked up to my being much less invested in metal at that time, but even as someone who'd consider to be a pretty diverse listener, my projected top 10 is 50% metal rn o_o that's not even a matter of lacking content elsewhere, I think there have been loads of great music coming out this year, metal folk just seem to be crushing

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For some reason I have not kept up with new metal releases over the past twelve months or so, what else did I miss other than Meshuggah?

Listening to new Anaal Nathrakh right now, not sure how I feel about it yet though.

you missed vektor putting out a classic; among the many things that can be said for it is that it's the best thrash album since eternal nightmare.

I also liked the albums from: cthe'ilist, coldworld, darkthrone, moonsorrow, sorcier des glaces and wormrot, as well the gorguts ep and the drudkh / grift split. meshuggah and ulcerate obviously. haven't listened to new insomnium and alcest, among others, but I should soon. yeah this year has been great

For some reason I have not kept up with new metal releases over the past twelve months or so, what else did I miss other than Meshuggah?

Listening to new Anaal Nathrakh right now, not sure how I feel about it yet though.
I have a list of stuff i can send you later

echoin bkc a bit, but check out the new ulcerate; savage stuff, superhuman drumming, and maybe it's just me but I feel they channel their sludge tendencies particularly well here. i think u can still get in on some of the dopest splatter vinyl ive seen @ their bandcamp if ur about that.

sidebar, does this feel like a particularly strong year for metal to anyone else? played out q, and im sure at least a little of that can be chocked up to my being much less invested in metal at that time, but even as someone who'd consider to be a pretty diverse listener, my projected top 10 is 50% metal rn o_o that's not even a matter of lacking content elsewhere, I think there have been loads of great music coming out this year, metal folk just seem to be crushing
yes, this year was strong af.

Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas, The Great Cold, Lycus, Dillinger Escape Plan, Sinistro, Sol Sistere, Spektr, Woman is the Earth...scrape this list for more:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Prae...r-searches-for-inhabitable-planetary-systems/

ayte, so ive been playing catch-up w/content, wanted to touch down n maybe some ideas on this n that

napalm death and melt banana did a split 7' for black friday that was pretty tight. i wouldn't necessarily call it a highlight of either a careers, but it's 2 cuts a piece, real propulsive stuff. worth a listen (I figure it's online somewhere, didn't check tho :p)

new oathbreaker's been growin on me. i feel like the vocals are what really flesh out their niche to me; while neither the cleanly sung nor wretched stuff are technically strong (at least by industry standards), i feel they're delivered in such a way that it transitions the shoegazy passages really well, helping to distinguish from the guys that are making more compositionally ambitious or dense material.

in that blackgaze vein, botanist did a split w/oskoreien that I feel is pretty strong. it feels particularly trim, even for a botanist release, but the negative space of it really goes over for me, and I love the tinny timbre of the guitars here.

a release i found myself a little disappointed by personally was the new be'lakor. mind u, I haven't heard their previous stuff (yet!), but I felt as tho the instrumentals didn't give proper support to the vocal performances. to be clear, I fuckin luv this dudes vocals, reminds me of tom waitts more depressive cuts on blood money in a great way. so when it's backed by this super meat-and-potatoes drumming and a mix that seems to stifle a bunch of guitar leads, I kinda feel like I'm missing out on somethin. there are stand-out moments all over the place, but it jus doesn't culminate to something I can call wholly good

Metal

01 Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas: Mariner (Album of the Year)
02 Meshuggah: The Violent Sleep of Reason
03 The Great Cold: The Great Cold
04 The Dillinger Escape Plan: Dissociation
05 Sinistro: Semente
06 Lycus: Chasms
07 Spektr: The Art to Disappear
08 Sol Sistere: Unfading Incorporeal Vacuum
09 Saor: Guardians
10 Départe: Failure, Subside

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
is it OK that this thread can be my "I went to this concert" blog? Saw Alcest last night and they were fucking magical. I think Ecailles de Lune pt. 2 actually brought tears to my eyes.

hey, artificial brain announced a new project and shared a track, pretty neat stuff. pretty interested in the upcoming power trip record (the dudes that are mixing and mastering this are doing god's work, it sounds colossal), and kinda sorta wondering how the pallbearer will go over, mostly cuz i think they have what it takes to put out a really strong record if they vary their compositions over a record. finally getting around to that old great ones' as well, yet to form a strong opinion on it tho o_o what's everyone listening to???

So I finally got around to buying Pelagial by The Ocean and it's bloody excellent. I saw them when they toured with Ne Obliviscaris a couple months ago, and they absolutely fucking killed it. I was really surprised, since I went mainly to see NeO, The Ocean were just another name on my list of bands to check out eventually at that point.

Other stuff I've been listening to:
Leprous- Bilateral. Takes a while to get your head around this one I think, definitely good, probably not as much as TPS or Congregation but better than Coal imo. Still undecided.

Ghost Brigade- IV: One with the Storm. This album is really good, but a tad monotonous I think. They do a really good job of conjuring this melancholic, wistful atmosphere, and that's the vibe throughout the whole album. Overall I'd recommend them.

Skyharbor- Guiding Lights. I was really hyped up on this band a while back and now I'm wondering why. They're basically a boring version of Tesseract

Also if it wasn't obvious I don't really care all that much about staying current

So I finally got around to buying Pelagial by The Ocean and it's bloody excellent. I saw them when they toured with Ne Obliviscaris a couple months ago, and they absolutely fucking killed it. I was really surprised, since I went mainly to see NeO, The Ocean were just another name on my list of bands to check out eventually at that point.

Other stuff I've been listening to:
Leprous- Bilateral. Takes a while to get your head around this one I think, definitely good, probably not as much as TPS or Congregation but better than Coal imo. Still undecided.

Ghost Brigade- IV: One with the Storm. This album is really good, but a tad monotonous I think. They do a really good job of conjuring this melancholic, wistful atmosphere, and that's the vibe throughout the whole album. Overall I'd recommend them.

Skyharbor- Guiding Lights. I was really hyped up on this band a while back and now I'm wondering why. They're basically a boring version of Tesseract

Also if it wasn't obvious I don't really care all that much about staying current
I really liked One With the Storm on release but I rarely come back to it over Isolation Songs and Until Fear No Longer Defines Us. Hopefully they can freshen up their formula, because it's getting a bit stale. Don't want to see them go down the Insomnium path (they haven't been good since Across the Dark, fite me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)