Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I would have to think about it and ask around for a general idea I think it is different, I think it would be more similar to liquid voice(which would over ride it). I don't know I might just be crazy I will be back on that also here are more ideas
inards out + aftermath?
static+cursed body+flame body+effect spore+ poison point status for days
Filter+Solid Rock+ Prism Armor
Multiscale+Shadow Shield

Necrozma @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse

I think could be a possible set there could be more to it but as it stands I cant think of it

Edit: Normalize would be considered its own thing as it has a totally different effect changing all moves (including normal I believe) is much different then just normal type moves

Last edited:
Normalize was changed to provide the same 20% power buff that all -ate abilities provide, so I think at this point it's closer to the -ate abilities than Liquid Voice. I'd either lump it in with those or leave it in it's own category. I'm also gonna suggest that Iron Fist/Tough Claws be grouped together, just makes sense to me.

Also, Filter/Solid Rock/Prism Armor is cool because super effective hits now deal even less damage than a neutral hit. (But more than an actual resisted hit)

It relies on what actually counts as "clones of an ability," which is ambiguous. Bulbapedia lists a bunch of far-reaching things as clones of Adaptability, and if you use that list then Scizor gets a 287-power Bullet Punch, or 574-power against a resist. But that certainly seems overbroad.

Yeah, I would love to play but I think a definitive list of which abilities mix would need to be made, balanced, and easily accessible for players. I wouldn't mind helping you construct something like that if you need a hand or someone to bounce ideas off of.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Multibility
Last gen's thread
original idea by Grains of Salt, who will get tagged later in this post
this is coded by the fantastic Spandan

Many of you will already be familiar with Multibility or EI, so you can probably skip to the questions for the community section, which is by far the most important part of this post!​
  • Metagame premise:
You can sacrifice your item slot to have a second ability
OR
You can have a second ability of your choice (Multibility 2.0)​

• Potential bans and threats.
Banned from the start
OU Banlist
Contrary
Huge Power
Imposter
Parental Bond
Pure Power
Simple
Wonder Guard
Shedinja

Potential bans or threats
Dragonite (Aerilate + Multiscale with Extremespeed)
Kyurem-Black (Refrigerate)
Protean (Incredibly strong offensive ability, able to be paired with Adaptability)
Fur Coat (Bulky mons get bulkier and make physical offense very difficult)
Fluffy (See: Fur Coat, but slightly worse)

EDIT:
Stakeout (Negates switchins)
Water Bubble (Makes pokemon such as Azumarill and Crawdaunt ridiculously powerful)
Innards Out (Makes sweeping impossible, is theoretically able to be slapped on any high hp mon for an easy one for one trade in the users favor)
No Guard (The one thing on this list I think is probably not broken, but abusers may arise. Sleep + Setup is the main issue I could potentially see, but there aren't too many good options for that.)

Note that abilities are only banned from being added to Pokemon through the Metagames mechanic; hence Huge Power Diggersby and Imposter Ditto would be legal, but Simple Serperior would not.
  • Questions for the community
1) For the mods: I hear that this metagame was rejected earlier this generation. Why was it rejected, is it pointless to attempt to revive it, and what is the best way forward for me in this attempt?
2) For Grains of Salt: can I have your meta pretty please? I want to make it great again, it's kind of the best meta ever imo, and you are, to put it bluntly, pretty dead rn, so I doubt you really want the responsibility of running a metagame. Contact me however with a response, I won't take it personally either way.
3) For the community: Would you play this metagame? Is it too similar to existing metagames (especially Almost Any Ability)?
4) Also for the community; Which would you prefer: Multibility or Multibility 2.0? Regular Multibility is where the ability takes your item slot, 2.0 is where it does not but unfortunately uses the import function and would presumably be unable to be nominated for OMOTM. Keep in mind that in Multibility 2.0 things tend to get a little... overpowered.

and finally... some 'fun' sets

Porygon-Z @ Protean
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock / Nasty Plot
- Agility / Nasty Plot

Porygon-Z has the base ability of Adaptability, which allows it to use the insanely powerful combination of Protean and Adaptability alongside its excellent coverage and Special Attack.

Tapu Koko @ Galvanize
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Tapu Koko gets to abuse both Galvanize and Electric Surge in one set here.
252 Atk Galvanize Tapu Koko Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew in Electric Terrain: 274-324 (80.3 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: PoisonHealAerilate
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Taunt / Roost / Protect / Substitute

Poison Heal + Aerilate gives Gliscor a powerful STAB Facade, which when combined with Earthquake gives good neutral coverage. EVs are stolen from an OU set. Poison Heal is not viable in vanilla Multibility, so it's an interesting aspect that Multibility 2.0 gives us.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: NaturalCureFurCoat
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Eviolite users are also possible in Multibility 2.0 without sacrificing the option to have another ability.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: MultiscaleAerilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- What are other moves lol
- Something for Psychic Surge users ig

I personally don't like large banlists to begin with (and would of course be willing to discuss a number of the things that I have banned now, so long as it isn't like, Huge Power or Wonder Guard) and that's probably the only thing saving Dragonite from being banned to all hell where it belongs in every meta it gets to pick its ability.

the tl;dr option: I want to revive Multibility, but to do that I need to know why it was refused the first time and probably drum up some enthusiasm. That's why I'm posting here. I hope you guys will answer my questions.

EDIT:
[20:38:12] #Chloe: If we were going to redo that metagame, it would just be with the ability being entered into the item slot
[20:38:23] #Chloe: But yes, TI denied it on grounds of infringement

looks like 1.0 might be the only option here after all

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I personally prefer Multibility 1.0, seems more balanced.

Also I think Water Bubble should probably be banned as well, otherwise Azumarill and Crawdaunt would destroy pretty much any non-water immunity mon

I really want ei, now multibility, back. I prefer the old style since it lets fun sets to appear on non standard mons. Prankster mold breaker druddigon from last gen comes to mind. It was the only mold breaker or prankster user with hazards which is not something that will happen if any mon gets any ability combo it wants. Also, multibility 2.0 is much more similar to aaa which was one reason it initially got denied. I hope that it comes back since this is my favourite om.

Ever notice how legendary pairs usually just get some of their stats shuffled around between each other? Well I though what if every pokemon could do something like this, and so was born shift mons in my mind. Idea? Nickname your Mon any 2 stats and get those 2 base stats swapped with each other. However, any boost that would increase one stat will not increase a swapped stat, ex. Magearna chooses spa and atk as swapped stats, soul heart raises her now 60 base spa. I'm too tired rn to make some good examples so for now you guys get this.

Spe Def (Mawile-Mega) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch

By switching M Mawile's base 125 def and 50 base spe, it becomes a glass cannon with M Mawile's 1236 atk after an SD boost alongside a great 383 speed. I chose 3 moves with what I assume have the best coverage, but I could be wrong. Since it has a good speed, Mawile's no longer needs sucker punch and is free to sweep anything. What do you guys think? Shuckle and others of the "one insane stat 5 bad ones" could be good, but since their insane stat would have to become low, I'm not sure. I'm definitely eyeing M aggron and the possibility of 230 base attack, but 50 speed holds him back, and cloyster with 180 attack could be broken. Who knows though. Tell me your thoughts and let me know if you think I messed anything up while writing this, I probably did since I'm tired and need to go to sleep so I won't be offended.

Edit: OU based, almost forgot this.

4 Move Syndrome
Metagame Premise:
Pokemon have access to 5 moveslots
Potential Bans and Threats: OU Banlist+Clauses
Questions for the community: Will this be difficult to code? Any particularly dangerous mons?

STABMoves
Metagame Premise:
The first move of a Pokemon will be set to the primary type of the Pokemon, the second move will be set to the secondary type of the Pokemon (primary if only 1 type)
Potential Bans and Threats: OU Bans and Clauses. Pokemon with bad STABs such as Kyurem-B, Kartana, Lando-T
Questions for the Community: If the Pokemon changes type, should the type of the move change?

lost heros

Meme Master
For Multibility: I wasn’t really all that interested in it last generation, even though it was very popular. It’s just way too similar to AAA because of the lack of ability synergies. Often times it felt that your EI set was just the AAA set but replacing the item with the best base ability. I think if there were more ability combos like Rock Head + Reckless then it would be a lot more unique metagame.

Skill mons:
all random factors are replaced with ether damage difference, or 100% to cause an effect if effect chance is 70% or higher moves statuses that have a random chance of activating like confusion or paralyze will activates after that amount of turns which is should activate by luck amounts would activate so para is 1/4 chance so every 4 turns you will lose your turn. random effects boost the power of a move by that amount so for instance a 30% chance to flinch is a 30% damage boost, always will run min rolls, crits will not happen unless 100% but will boost power by that amount every time if less then 100% so are moves are boosted by 1/16 damage power of less then 100% acc moves are reduced by that amount

bans:
scope lens

thoughts I will elaborate if needed

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Skill mons:
all random factors are replaced with ether damage difference, or 100% to cause an effect if effect chance is 70% or higher moves statuses that have a random chance of activating like confusion or paralyze will activates after that amount of turns which is should activate by luck amounts would activate so para is 1/4 chance so every 4 turns you will lose your turn. random effects boost the power of a move by that amount so for instance a 30% chance to flinch is a 30% damage boost, always will run min rolls, crits will not happen unless 100% but will boost power by that amount every time if less then 100% so are moves are boosted by 1/16 damage power of less then 100% acc moves are reduced by that amount

bans:
scope lens

thoughts I will elaborate if needed
That's already a metagame (a randomized metagame) called Skill Cup and I'm pretty sure randomized metagames like these are banned from having a thread and such.

another problem is its a nicknamed based metagame
That just means it wouldn't get it's own thread, it could still be coded/playable on ROM.

Wasn't "Metas that swap stat X with stat Y" banned? Also, thats basically Nature Swap if I got everything right
I think, because the stat swaps are up to the player and not a predetermined "Oh Attack becomes SpAtk now" that it bypasses that rule? Otherwise Nature Swap wouldn't have been allowed in the first place. Otherwise yeah, it's basically Nature Swap, though the mechanic for switching stats seem a bit more user friendly. Not enough to warrant it's own meta though.

Random Effect
Metagame Premise:
At the beginning of each turn, a random effect is selected to affect that turn. Effects include All Weather (including Desoland and Primal Sea), All terrain, TR, Magic Room, Wonder Room, Gravity. There might be more.
Potential Bans and Threats: OU Clauses and Bans.
Questions for the Community: Should the effect be selected randomly or should there be a fixed order in which the effects appear in?

Personally I don't think random would be any fun at all. Imagine trying to nuke a ferrothorn with fire blast and getting completely screwed over by Primordial Sea just coming up out of nowhere. It seems really anti-competitive and it's not possible to really account for any of that during team building, like, 'well this pokemon WOULD be good if Trick Room happens to pop up' except you have no way of knowing that so in practice Trick Room would just be randomly screwing over sweepers and mons who plan to take damage before recovering instead of after etc etc. Your focus sash lead suddenly doesn't get that turn 2 because whoops, hail took effect on turn 1.

Whereas with a predetermined order you can kind of plan for that and decide 'okay on the TR turns I'm going to have these 2 mons to send in because if I just have one it's too easy to predict, mon x is just an overall good mon even outside of trickroom whereas mon y takes advantage of other effects like (sandstorm/hail/whatever)', it adds another element to teambuilding and could actually make for some interesting strategies.

Also, would weather from this mechanic overwrite pre-existing weather set by sunny day/rain dance/etc or drizzle/drought/etc or would it be sort of 'phantom weather' so to speak? Would the weather from the mechanic continue on turns where another non-weather effect follows it? Same questions for terrains.

Metagame premise: When there is no terrain, Normal-type moves are 1.5* power
Potential bans and threats: Scrappy
Questions for the community:
What do you think would be broken?
Do you have any confusion about the rules?
I understand you're trying to buff the Normal-Type, but it seems to me as too basic of an idea to actually get coded. I'm really sorry if this sounded harsh, but let me tell you I was just giving my opinion and that that doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea. Hope you are having a good day, PsyKick Medicham! :)

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Random Effect
Metagame Premise:
At the beginning of each turn, a random effect is selected to affect that turn. Effects include All Weather (including Desoland and Primal Sea), All terrain, TR, Magic Room, Wonder Room, Gravity. There might be more.
Potential Bans and Threats: OU Clauses and Bans.
Questions for the Community: Should the effect be selected randomly or should there be a fixed order in which the effects appear in?
This existed last gen except with just the weathers. It was called Forecast. (Scroll down to see my first post on Smogon, it was in that thread, on the first page!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)