Melee Thread (TOURNAMENT SPOILERS TO BE EXPECTED)

Hungrybox is the best player alive oh my god...

2016 really looking like his year with even sets vs Armada, 9-5 lead vs mango, and more wins under his belt than anyone else, on top of Evo now. Also I don't even know when the last time someone double eliminated Armada through a bracket reset, jesus christ.

Highlight sets for me were definitely plup vs hbox (first time) and mango vs hbox. Plup can definitely break the barrier, but I wish he'd stuck it out with sheik for Armada's peach (I don't think Sheik really loses that match up). Armada probably would have won, but Plup rarely gets the chance to practice against Armada and should've taken the opportunity.

Also lol Mango eliminated by Plup and hbox second year in a row. Mango didn't deserve Evo and I'm glad he lost.

Leffen's the real unknown factor and I enjoy watching leffen a lot so I hope I get to see him more in the latter half of 2016, maybe attempting to steal the spot of best overall player for the year? He only has losing records vs Duck and Axe (lol) and winning records vs every god, and I'd like to see how that looks with a larger sample size.

PPMD could also make a splash maybe, but i'm unsure if he has what it takes to defeat any of the gods. He's been given trouble even by Plup this year, but he definitely has potential, especially with his unique dual-mains at this level.

Also I really hope to see more from Duck and Swedish Delight. I was kinda surprised how badly Swedish lost vs Westballz, but it was definitely deserved for West to make top 8 of Evo for once lol.

Swedish said on Twitter that he was really disappointed with his performance vs. Westballz given that he normally bodies West every time they play. Similarly West wasn't too happy with how he played vs. S2J for the same reason

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I highly suggest you look at this video if you haven't. What the video talks about is how 6 years of GimR's work, have been changed. What this means is that all the titles for all of the sets VGBC & GimR have uploaded have been changed. Why this is such a big deal is because of Youtube search algorithms, and also the fact that changing titles can take away views & stuff. It's also cutting the money GimR makes, which is barely enough for VGBC to work on. I really hope there's a way so that everything returns back to normal but as of right now, the video only has its original title when it comes up as a search result, it then reverts to the new title once you click on it. VGBC & GimR are extremely great to the community for uploading VODs for everyone to see & trying to get them up as quick as possible, its going to hurt us all if these changes become permanent.

While the whole matter is very serious, I can't help but poke a little bit of fun at all the videos being the same title. It amuses me that Youtube even has an option like this & that you can't revert back, it's so stupid. Here's a screenshot of the most popular vids in this title change.

Man do you guys remember Smash 4 back till 2010? Back when Serge's Lucario fought against Darkfall's Link over 10,000 times. How the fuck did someone allow this to happen, were they drunk or something? Also I remember Melee Fox being in like half of those thumbnails.

EDIT: Looks like VGBC got the video titles restored.

Last edited:
So I googled it and the answer is here, thank you for that info though Minwu. I was surprised I got a straight answer just from googling it (which is why I didn't try in the first place [disturbing anecdote, every returned page afterward was "why do people hate the jews" wtf]) but there you go.

SFAT just 3-0'd HBox with the campiest fox I've ever seen in my life

2 gods in loser's side before Top 8 and Mango was literally one hit away from losing to The Moon as well

TBH6 is nutty

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TBH6 Top 8 started at 8pm and it finished at 12am, Top 8 should not take this long. This is mainly due to all the analytics & breaks during each set. I get that you're trying to be all professional & have as much production value as possible but this only made watching the Top 8 more boring. If you want to do the analytics, do it after every two sets, & fuck the breaks, I don't remember this being on TV.

As for the top 8 itself, Mango v Armada Grand Finals is always hype as usual & I'm glad Ice got top 3 at a major. But this was definitely the best part: https://clips.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/PerfectFlamingoPraiseIt

Kinda loved watching Armada stomp the shit out of Mango lol buuuuut it was also super anit-climactic and I wish it would have lasted longer.

Armada vs S2J and Leffen vs Mango make up for it though, those sets were :v4::toast:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So the other day I picked up Melee when some of my sister's friends visited and we ended up playing until 5 AM which was great fun. I wanna start playing it seriously 'cause I recently found out that there's a weekly Melee event that happens not far from my house which'd be good fun and a good way for me to not spend my entire life locked up in my house being antisocial. First things first comes getting the techskill etc. down. Does anyone have any specific tips for practicing things like L canceling and wavedashing and other stuff (if there are any simple tech skills/similar things that you think are important for getting down as a priority, saying them would be a massive help too as it will focus my practice), or is it just a matter of keeping doing them for hours on end?

Also one other thing is how do people get used to the left stick not always agreeing with what you want to do? Is it just that I'm not lining it up properly or is there another way of circumventing it?

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
So the other day I picked up Melee when some of my sister's friends visited and we ended up playing until 5 AM which was great fun. I wanna start playing it seriously 'cause I recently found out that there's a weekly Melee event that happens not far from my house which'd be good fun and a good way for me to not spend my entire life locked up in my house being antisocial. First things first comes getting the techskill etc. down. Does anyone have any specific tips for practicing things like L canceling and wavedashing and other stuff (if there are any simple tech skills/similar things that you think are important for getting down as a priority, saying them would be a massive help too as it will focus my practice), or is it just a matter of keeping doing them for hours on end?
I'd watch some smash practice videos on youtube for exact technical reference. They're incredibly good at showing you exactly how to do things, even frame-by-frame. Otherwise stuff like wavedashing and basic tech skill is all hours of repetition and building up muscle memory. I'd be ready for most people at those weeklies to utterly destroy you because someone with a bit of tech skill can 4 stock someone with minimal tech skill fairly easily. Unless you're Borp, but we don't talk about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)