UU Mega Pidgeot [UU]

Mega Pidgeot, also know as Jesus Bird, has plenty of things going for itself: a great ability that allows it to fire off Hurricanes freely, a high Special Attack stat, a Speed stat that allows it to outspeed threats such as Raikou, Infernape, and Latias, good offensive coverage with Hurricane + Heat Wave, and U-turn to pivot and grab momentum—all those make for a terrifying wallbreaker in the UU tier. Despite its Stealth Rock weakness, Pidgeot still has above-average longevity thanks to Roost. Finally, it can also break more defensive teams with its stallbreaker set that is based on Refresh and Work Up.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

This is Mega Pidgeot's main set, and it aims to break through offensive and balanced cores thanks to coverage from Hurricane + Heat Wave. Pidgeot can use U-turn to ease predictions and to switch out against checks such as Empoleon, Blissey, and Raikou, or it can use Roost in the same case to keep its longevity. It should be brought in against a good matchup to wallbreak or it should be used as a late-game cleaner thanks to its great combination of Speed and power. Obviously, it needs hazard control support from Pokemon such as Empoleon and Tentacruel to work well, or it will get worn down quickly due to Stealth Rock. Support from pivots, U-turn and Volt Switch users, or predictions and double switches to bring it in safely are also appreciated; even if Mega Pidgeot's bulk is good, it still can't stomach strong hits and would rather avoid being worn down. Mega Pidgeot is able to run other moves like Defog or Tailwind, but this is not strongly recommended since it takes away from its longevity or offensive capability. It can also run different sets like the stallbreaker set, which does well at breaking defensive teams. But even if it looks perfect on paper, running Mega Pidgeot has some drawbacks—it is outclassed by Mega Aerodactyl due to Mega Pidgeot not giving enough utility and needing good team support, and it faces competition with Talonflame, which can pressure fast builds thanks to Gale Wings. It suffers from its lackluster Defense and is also threatened by plenty of attackers, including fast offensive threats such as Mega Aerodactyl, Weavile, and Mega Beedrill, which outspeed and either OKHO it with the right moves or trap it and do chip damage to it with Pursuit, strong priority users such as Life Orb Scizor, Mamoswine, and Talonflame, and common revenge killers, such as Sharpedo, Mega Manectric, and Choice Scarf Hydreigon.

Give it a shot and you won't be disappointed!

Last edited:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It doesn't look like you've included a section on Pidgeot's shortcomings. Refer to this post on how to properly format a spotlight, and maybe look at the posts above it if you'd like an example of a written shortcomings section. Once you add that I'll QC.

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it's fine to qc it as it is. A paragraph dedicated to pidgeot's shortcomings is kinda redundant when its main ones are already mentioned throughout the other sections (rocks weakness, competition with other megas, lack of utility, mediocre bulk, etc). If there's more to add, just include it into the last part of the set paragraph (or separate that part into its own section).

I'll look at this later if hilomilo hasn't yet.

E: seems like the writer just added some stuff too, lit.

Last edited:

Eyan

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I swear I'm actually here! Anyway, just a few things. First off, I'd mention in the intro that Work Up + Refresh is the stallbreaker set. You reference it later on, but without first clarifying, it's not very self explanatory. Again in the intro, I wouldn't say Mega Pidgeot has a great offensive typing; it's really just how powerful STAB Hurricane coming off Pidgeot's high base Special Attack is, so a lot of typical Flying-type checks don't take it well or 2HKOed by Heat Wave / Hurricane + Heat Wave (which you already mentioned under its coverage). For this, I'd just say how its offensive coverage coupled with its high Special Attack limits its defensive answers, which leads well into U-turn as the next move.

In the set paragraph, I'd remove the mention of it being outclassed by Mega Beedrill. That and Pidgeot have about the same usage more or less and neither one really directly outclasses the other in any specific way (think Beedrill's frailty vs. Pidgeot's typing defensively). And yeah, mention Pidgeot's defensive typing being lackluster.

QC 1/2

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mention something about its Speed in the first paragraph since its ability to outspeed a bunch of nasty threats like Raikou, Infernape, Hawlucha, Latias, etc. and either hit them with Hurricane or simply pivot out is pretty important. You might also want to mention that it faces competition from Talonflame as a fast, strong Flying-type in addition to Mega Aerodactyl. Add a couple more examples of hazard setters that have good synergy with Pidgeot (Defog Latias isn't that great right now, considering how badly it wants a Z-move, Calm Mind, and/or recovery). When talking about the Pokemon that trap with Pursuit (Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Beedrill, and Weavile), mention that they can remove it directly in addition to trapping or chipping it with Pursuit (this takes like 4 words to do).

QC 2/2.

Eyan

From what I can tell, it's fine to go ahead with GP. When this is actually approaching whatever date it gets scheduled for, we can then look at including newer, more relevant examples like Jirachi and Nihilego.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
(AC) = Add Comma
(RC) = Remove Comma

Mega Pidgeot, also know as Jesus Bird, has a plenty of things going for itself: a great ability that allows it to fire off Hurricanes freely, a high Special Attack stat, a Speed stat that allows it to outspeed threats such as Raikou, Infernape, and Latias, good offensive coverage with Hurricane + Heat Wave, (AC) and U-turn to pivot and grab momentum, (RC)[add "—" between 'momentum' and 'all', no spaces]all those makes make for a terrifying wallbreaker in the UU tier. Despite its Stealth Rock weakness, (AC) it Pidgeot still has an above-average longevity thanks to Roost. Finally, it can also break more defensive teams with its stallbreaker set that is based on Refresh and Work Up.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

This is Mega Pidgeot's main set, (AC) and it aims to break through offensive and balanced cores thanks to coverage from Hurricane + Heat Wave coverage, (RC). (Add Period) Pidgeot can use [parallelism] U-turn to ease predictions and should be used to switch out against checks such as Empoleon, Blissey, and Raikou, or it can use Roost in the same case to keep its longevity. It should be brought in against a good matchup and to wallbreak cores, or it should be used as a late-game cleaner thanks to Mega Pidgeot's its great combination of Speed and power. Obviously, it needs hazard control support from Pokemon such as Empoleon and Tentacruel to work well, or it will get worn down quickly due to Stealth Rocks, Stealth Rock. Support from pivots, (AC) and U-turn and Volt Switch users, (AC) or predictions and doubles double switches to bring it in safely are also appreciated, (RC); (Add Semicolon) even if its Mega Pidgeot's bulk is correct decent, (AC) [I don't understand what "bulk is correct" means, please tell me if this keeps the same meaning you wanted to have] it still can't stomach strong hits and would rather not avoid being worn down. Other than those moves, [doesn't make sense with the placement you have] Mega Pidgeot is still able to run other moves like Defog or Tailwind, (AC) but it this is not strongly recommanded recommended. [give a quick mention why - "since it takes away from its longevity or offensive capability."] or It can also run different sets like the stallbreaker set, which does well at breaking defensive teams. But even if it looks perfect on paper, running Mega Pidgeot has some withdraws, (RC) drawbacks—it is outclassed by Mega Aerodactyl due to Mega Pidgeot not giving enough utility and needing a good team support, and it faces competition with Talonflame, which can pressure fast builds thanks to Gale Wings. It suffers from its lackluster Defense and is also threatened by a plenty of attackers, including fast offensive threats such as Mega Aerodactyl, Weavile, and Mega Beedrill, which outspeed and either OKHO it with the right moves or trap it and doing chip damage to Mega Pidgeot it with Pursuit, strong priority users such as Life Orb Scizor, Mamoswine, and Talonflame, and common revenge killers, such as Sharpedo, Mega Manetric Manectric, and Choice Scarf Hydreigon.

Give it a shot and you won't be dissapointed disappointed!

GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)