Battle Spot Mega Latias

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

Well, it's been a while since I did my last RMT, but this time, I wanted to build around a rather niche Pokémon: Mega Latias. The intention of this team is to support Calm Mind + Stored Power Mega Latias to sweep, which is definitely possible due to Mega Latias' insane bulk. Without further ado, here we go!

The Team

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Roost

This is the star of the team: CM Mega Latias. She was the mon I built my team around, as it has promising sweeping potential with Stored Power as well as being an excellent Blaziken counter. Max HP/Speed is just for max bulk without hindering sweeping potential. Calm Mind and Stored Power more than make up for her lack of offensive investment, dealing absurd amounts of damage after a few boosts. Roost is for standard recovery while Substitute is for avoiding status moves.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 204 HP / 148 Atk / 156 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Foul Play

Thanks to Solerme for suggesting this spread! As Mega Latias struggled with things like Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Garchomp, Tyranitar was proposed as a check to them. Pursuit catches Gengar if it tries to switch out, Ice Beam decimates Mega Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T, Flamethrower is for Steel-types, but mostly Ferrothorn, and Foul Play is for opposing setup sweepers (I can't get a Tyranitar with Foul Play in Sun, so an alternative to this would be suggested). The HP investment survives an unboosted EQ from Mence and the offensive investment is for the threats mentioned before.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Sash Excadrill is great at setting up Stealth Rock, which Latias appreciates, but most importantly it deals with Mimikyu, something that the other two struggle with. Standard STAB moves plus EdgeQuake coverage and Stealth Rock to set up hazards.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Toxic

Porygon2 is a fun defensive Pokémon, especially since it can deal with annoying Flying-, Dragon-, Ground-, Grass-, and Water-types with BoltBeam coverage. Recover is for longetivity and Toxic deals with bulky mofo's that think they can wall/set up on Porygon2. Download so it has some offensive capabilities and it is physically defensive to deal with powerful physical opponents.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Tapu Koko is an excellent offensive pivot and is good at threatening most things slower than it. Thunderbolt is pretty powerful on its own in Electric Terrain, but as Gigavolt Havoc, it wrecks face. Dazzling Gleam hits Dark-types and Dragon-types and Hidden Power Ice is for Pokémon 4x weak to the type, like Landorus-T or Mega Mence. I prefer U-turn over Volt Switch because it allows me to more easily pivot out of Ground-types or other Pokémon with an Electric immunity.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

There may be times when bringing Mega Latias is a bad idea. That's partly why this guy is here. Mega Gyarados is pretty scary once it sets up a few Dragon Dances. I have STAB moves along with Earthquake to deal with Steel-types not terribly weak to Mega Gyarados's STAB moves.

Conclusion

So, what do I struggle with? The main ones so far have been Mimikyu, Dragon Dance Mega Salamence, Ferrothorn, and most other bulky setup sweepers. I don't feel like the team is the most reliable it could be, so that's really why I'm posting this here. Thanks for helping out!

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
EVs: 204 HP / 148 Atk / 156 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Foul Play

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Toxic

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
[HIDE/]

I know u want mold breaker to deal with Mimikyu on drill but take advantage of sand maybe and use Sand Rush to make it a lot more of a threat

Also HP Fire can help deal with Ferrothorn instead of substitute on Latias

Also since u do not have AV T-Tar I soul put stealth rock on that instead of drill

That is honestly all

I know u want mold breaker to deal with Mimikyu on drill but take advantage of sand maybe and use Sand Rush to make it a lot more of a threat

Also HP Fire can help deal with Ferrothorn instead of substitute on Latias

Also since u do not have AV T-Tar I soul put stealth rock on that instead of drill

That is honestly all
That sounds pretty cool. I definitely agree with the changes to Latias and Ttar. I'm also cool with changing Mold Breaker-->Sand Rush and, since you suggested giving ttar sr, Stealth Rock-->Swords Dance on Driller. I'm not quite sure about item. Should I change Sash to a Z Crystal or should I keep it?

Last edited:
I would go Lum or Z crystal because lum prevents burn and A crystal (definitely not groundim Z for crystal because of lando probably steelium) guarantees kills but definitely change sash and go with SD
Try both and see which u like better

Also check my RMT and see thoughts it is Balanced Nasty Plot Alolan Ninetales

Hope you can help me

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm getting lots of ideas to change on this team and I'm not really sure which to choose. Some are small changes and some are big, I'll list them all but just note that they aren't all meant to be lumped together, you can pick and choose what might be best...

How often are you able to actually get Latias set up? It's speed tier is so awkward and struggles against common meta stuff like Mence / Koko / Mimi, not to mention it needs 2 Calm Minds in before it can actually hurt things. I like the suggestion of changing Excadrill to Sand Rush and utilising the sand core, and I think Latias could fill the Mega Salamence role in the Jap Sand core. In this case I would change Latias' moveset to Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Calm Mind, Recover.

You can change up Ttar's set to take on Salamence better and aid Excadrill in sweeping. You don't really need Pursuit because Excadrill / Gyarados pressure Gengar a lot at team preview (and throughout the game). Here's the set I've been using:
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Smack Down / Foul Play / Pursuit / Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
The SpA ensure you OHKO offensive Salamence with the rest in bulk. I like Smack Down because it screws with things like Celesteela so Exca can come in and bop it / force it out and get a free SD, but it's a bit gimmicky and the other options are really good. Roar is basically just anti-Eevee (Ttar counterleads both Ninetales and Whimsicott and then Roars Eevee away when it tries boosting) but it also helps rack up chip damage for Excadrill to sweep. Should also be helpful for Latias pickup KOes too and means Mega Gyara doesn't have to worry about the odd Sash Mimi in the back.

If you go down this route you'll want Groundium Z to beat Ferrothorn as it looks very troublesome. You have enough for Landorus-T.

Since you're a little weak to Mimikyu I recommend you change Porygon2 to Analytic and swap Thunderbolt for Foul Play. You don't really need Thunderbolt when you have Koko sitting there scaring away bulky waters.

As for Koko, i'm not really a fan of both Gleam and HP Ice on the same set. I would change the Hidden Power to Fire to give another option vs Ferrothorn.

And finally, I think you really need Ice Fang on Gyara as another option vs Mega Mence. Both Crunch and Earthquake are expendable here. I would probably drop Crunch because you want EQ to KO Koko at +1. Crunch pretty much only hits Cresselia and I don't really see that as much of a threat to this team.

Hope some of this helped! Always nice seeing more creative teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)