SM OU Mega-Gardevoir Team

Hello, I posted this team over on Reddit Stunfisk for a rate but hasn't gotten much feedback, so I wanted to post it over here and get some feedback.

I've been out of the meta for a while, believe the last time I really played was during the Kanto x Alola. I heard that Gardevoir's mega stone was released to everyone (guess I missed the entry for battles to get it a while back) so I'm trying to get back into the meta using Gardevoir-Mega.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
So for Gardevoir, the EV spread is a little weird. I don't remember the exact reason it's this way, but I believe it had something to do with allowing me to take either 2/3 Psyshock's from Latios or something to do with Keldeo, it's somethign I've stuck with ever since for my Gardevoir sets. I put Taunt on Gardevoir mainly to kind of negate Tapu Fini from trying to spam Calm Mind or even Defog. Energy Ball was another move I was considering to deal with Tapu Fini, as well as Swampert-Mega. Calm Mind is another choice I am thinking about, as if I can get 1 or even 2 off, then Gardevoir becomes a special power house, with some decent speed to back it up.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost​

----OR----

Mew @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere/Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball​

The goal with Mew is to play mind tricks since Mew is absolutely versatile in what it can do. Both offer great play room for what they can do, with one being an all out attacker and the other being an annoying stall. My attacking Mew is normally meant to lead as it's goal is to use it's moves to hit any super effective, mainly abuse 4x weaknesses. If the enemy has a Landorus or Garchomp; Mew is the first thing sent in to hit with Ice Beam. Scizor or Ferrothorn are meant to be hit with Fire Blast. Aura Sphere or Focus Miss Blast is meant for Tyranitar and Heatran. However there has been a debate in my mind about which one to use. Less damage and always hit or high damage and my RNG luck of missing at crucial times. Energy Ball I have been thinking about ditching since Gardevoir has it, and instead replace it with either Thunderbolt or Thunder; trying to abuse Tapu Koko's electric field if one comes out, also let's me hit Gyarados without any worry.

Stall Mew is meant to go in at the earliest time (not always as a lead though) so it can setup rocks and then stall. Will-o-Wisp is to cripple physical attackers so I can abuse Roost, with Knock Off being some damage that can remove an item that would other wise cause me a problem. I use Knock Off first on other Stall Pokemon, that way if they hit me with Toxic, Synchronize comes into play and they get hit with a status that will eventually whittle them down to a crippling state.

I don't know which Mew will really fit this team the best as they both shine in their respective categories.

Bisharp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
Standard Bisharp set. Hoping to abuse an Intimidate or any other debuff, to abuse the boosted attack from it's ability. I'm debating between Lum Berry and Life Orb as there has been plenty of times I needed that little extra power; however, there have been times a Will-o-Wisp comes in and just cripples it. There's really nothing special this Pokemon does, except does put a halt on most Fairy and Psychic types as Iron Head and Knock Off with STAB are really no laughing matter whether at +2 or not. Sucker Punch is simply for the small speed control of finishing off a Pokemon or whatever chip damage I can get off if I'm going to be KO'ed.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam

Magearna is a Pokemon I never got to use too much, so I haven't found the exact play style with it. Trick Room Magearna was one I was thinking about, but right now, it would cripple my other Pokemon with the Speed shift. Shadow Ball is something I've been debating taking off, probably slapping on HP Fire.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Power-Up Punch​

Psychical attacking Greninja is definitely one of the weirder sets I've done, but that bit of surprise really helps it out. Gunk Shot mainly has been for Fairy types who think a switch in is safe such as the Tapus. Rock Slide is mainly for switching from my Water/Dark to Rock, then immediately changing that typing out. Perfect for Charizard too. U-turn if for chip damage when I feel I need to switch out but want some damage in there. Power-Up Punch is to help even out it's low physical damage, while also being used to let me be hit for neutral instead of 2x if someone tries to hit me with a fighting move while Rock or Dark typing. I've been thinking about putting on Low Kick instead of Power-Up Punch, and also debating Choice Scarf over Life Orb, but for now, this is what it is running.

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
Staraptor is my late game cleaner meant to hit for high damage. Double-Edge and Brave Bird for STAB and to take full use of it's ability. Close Combat is to spam if I know nothing else will hit hard enough (Steel or Rock types as last) and U-Turn is to provide a pivot with Greninja and the rare case of Magearna if I can predict a switch in.

I'm open to any suggestions in changes, be that Pokemon, moves or items. Gardevoir is the only one I want to stick with, as I want to try her in this meta for a little before deciding on keeping or ditching.

I have not testing this team out yet, I wanted some insight on what can be changed. Going off the individual Pokemon I have used before, I know Scizor, Weavile, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Charizard X Medicham Mega and maybe Manectric Mega would give me problems. Most of these Pokemon I have in my actual Pokemon party in games, so I haven't tried on Showdown, but I will be trying this team out after posting this, then work with any suggestions!​

Hi! Sorry in advance if I mess up in format or something, I'm new to RMTs on the forums.

As for your team, it strikes me as a little too homogenous in terms of typing for an offensive core. It currently has no way to deal with steel types except for Staraptor, which is a soft blanket check at best, and straight up loses to the likes of Magearna/Mega-Mawile/Celesteela. For this reason, I'd recommend replacing Bisharp with Dual Dance Rocknium-Z Landorus-T. It allows you more thoroughly check steel types, and gives you a reliable setup sweeper.

On that note, something to consider, though entirely optional, would be Intimidate on Staraptor. It's far from mandatory, but dual Intimidate is always something to consider.

You also currently have minor problems with Ferrothorn, to which I'd suggest running Aura Sphere over Shadow Ball on Magearna.

For Greninja, I'd suggest switching to a more mixed approach, keeping Gunk Shot and U-turn, but adding Spikes and either Hydro Pump or the coverage of your choice. This allows you to capitalize on the momentum of your offensive team to wear the opponent down with hazards.

On the topic of hazards, you currently have no form of removal. For a volt turn-reliant team such as this, that's suboptimal, to say the least. The quickest fix I can think of is adding Defog to Mew, preferably your first set, over Knock Off. This will remove your own Spikes, however, and if this becomes too much of a pain, just replace Spikes on Greninja with another coverage move.

Hope I can be of help, and best of luck in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)