Doubles Alolan Marowak

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny

[OVERVIEW]

Alolan Marowak possesses a decent offensive typing and a signature item in Thick Club that doubles its Attack stat, which along with its low Speed make it a really strong Trick Room attacker. Alolan Marowak also boasts a total of three immunities—Normal, Fighting, and Electric—and useful resistances to Fairy, Grass, and Steel, allowing it to fare pretty well against plenty of common metagame threats, including Tapu Koko, Celesteela, and Tapu Bulu. A great ability in Lightning Rod allows Alolan Marowak to support teammates by drawing all Electric-type moves towards it. However, Alolan Marowak's good physical bulk is let down by poor special bulk and Speed, which make Alolan Marowak prone to getting worn down easily when coupled with Flare Blitz recoil. Along with that, Alolan Marowak's typing grants it lots of common weaknesses in Water, Ghost, Ground, Rock, and Dark, allowing common Pokemon like Hoopa-U, Landorus-T, Milotic, and Volcanion to threaten it outside of Trick Room.

[SET]
name: Trick Room Attacker
move 1: Shadow Bone
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Low Kick / Bonemerang
move 4: Protect
item: Thick Club
ability: Lightning Rod
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Bone is the primary STAB move despite its average Base Power because it lacks recoil and has great coverage. Flare Blitz is the strongest attack of the set; it is able to achieve feats like OHKOing Celesteela, though it is accompanied by nasty recoil. Low Kick scores a KO on Tyranitar, which resists both of Alolan Marowak's STAB moves, and has the added advantage of hitting Snorlax hard without Flare Blitz's recoil. Bonemerang is an option that allows Alolan Marowak to break past Substitute Heatran. Protect allows Alolan Marowak to scout for moves and, most importantly, allows another teammate to set up Trick Room, allowing Alolan Marowak to safely attack the next turn.

Set Details
=======

Thick Club raises Alolan Marowak's otherwise mediocre Attack stat to terrifying levels. 252 Attack EVs allow Alolan Marowak deal the maximum amount of damage in Trick Room, while the rest of the investment goes into HP to allow Alolan Marowak to take Flare Blitz recoil better. Lightning Rod allows Alolan Marowak to support its teammates by drawing all Electric-type moves to itself.

Usage Tips
========

Alolan Marowak is best used as an attacker inside Trick Room, since it destroys common walls like Celesteela, Bronzong, and Cresselia and dents a significant portion of the metagame with only its STAB moves due to its huge Attack stat. Even though Alolan Marowak boasts three immunities, its low Special Defense means it should only be pivoted into predicted Electric-type attacks or into Pokemon it is supposed to counter like Tapu Koko, whose STAB moves it resists. Usage of Protect is recommended outside of Trick Room, as it allows an ally to successfully set up Trick Room. Inside Trick Room, Alolan Marowak should try to spam its STAB moves as much as it can because very few Pokemon resist them and the ones that do can be picked off using appropriate coverage.

Team Options
========

Since this set focuses on working inside Trick Room, reliable setters like Bronzong and Hoopa-U are mandatory; Bronzong and Hoopa-U in particular benefit from Low Kick variants of Alolan Marowak, which are able to lure in and KO Tyranitar. Strong Grass-types like Shaymin-S, Kartana, and Tapu Bulu are good partners, as they break through opposing bulky Water-types. Tapu Bulu deserves a special mention due to having low Speed, allowing it to be used inside Trick Room, and providing Grassy Terrain, which gives Alolan Marowak some much needed recovery and halves the damage from Earthquake. Generally Milotic serves as a good teammate due to its Competitive ability deterring Intimidate users from switching in, and Alolan Marowak deals with the Electric- and Grass-types that threaten Milotic. Because Volcanion is a threat, Gastrodon makes a good partner for Alolan Marowak too, drawing Water-type moves towards itself. Tapu Fini also serves as a decent partner that supports Alolan Marowak with Heal Pulse and Swagger, allowing Alolan Marowak to get past its usual counters like Mega Salamence. Psychic-type attackers appreciate Alolan Marowak's ability to break Steel-types such as Metagross and Celesteela. Tapu Lele synergizes especially well with non-Low Kick Alolan Marowak, as Tapu Lele breaks through Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Tyranitar with its STAB Fairy-type moves.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

A set with maximum Speed investment can be run with Tailwind support to outspeed threats like Mega Gengar, but doing so causes Alolan Marowak to lose a considerable amount of bulk. Will-O-Wisp is a good utility option that allows Alolan Marowak to punish switch-ins like Landorus-T, Gyarados, and Salamence, which otherwise can take a hit due to Intimidate, but Alolan Marowak misses out on important coverage by running it. Thunder Punch is a good option too, since it allows Alolan Marowak to cleanly 2HKO Tapu Fini. Rock Head is a viable option if your team isn't vulnerable to Electric-type moves, as it makes Flare Blitz easier to use repeatedly while increasing Alolan Marowak's longevity.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Water-types**: Most bulky Water-types, such as Tapu Fini and Milotic, easily beat Alolan Marowak one-on-one due to their bulk and superior Speed; however, Milotic has to be careful under Trick Room, as Shadow Bone has a chance to 2HKO it.

**Opposing Weather**: Rain makes Alolan Marowak essentially deadweight, since Alolan Marowak's strongest attack, Flare Blitz, is weakened and most rain sweepers outspeed and easily KO it outside of Trick Room; however, all of the common rain sweepers take considerable amount of damage from Shadow Bone inside Trick Room.

**Tyranitar and Hydreigon**: Tyranitar and Hydreigon, by virtue of their typing, can freely switch into any of Alolan Marowak's STAB attacks and proceed to KO it in return; however, they have to be careful of Low Kick variants.

**Intimidate**: Intimidate users like Landorus-T and Scrafty can easily defeat Alolan Marowak one-on-one due to their ability to take a hit from it and KO it in return. Bulky Mega Salamence sets can easily take on Alolan Marowak due to their extremely good physical bulk and access to Intimidate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylveon.

Ready for QC checks,it's my first time so freely point out anything I might have done wrong.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bonemerang > Bone Club. Don't mention mons that are rarely seen in dou, such as toxapex. Not sure if Wisp deserves a slash, as burn isn't something you want to spread due to its low residual damage. I'd rather slash Low Kick, Substitute, or Swords Dance. Stone Edge is worth a mention for catching Salamence / Gyarados.

252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD lets Marowak survive a Modest Tapu Lele's Psychic under Psychic Terrain, so it may be worth a mention.

Sylveon.

Bonemerang > Bone Club. Don't mention mons that are rarely seen in dou, such as toxapex. Not sure if Wisp deserves a slash, as burn isn't something you want to spread due to its low residual damage. I'd rather slash Low Kick, Substitute, or Swords Dance. Stone Edge is worth a mention for catching Salamence / Gyarados.

252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD lets Marowak survive a Modest Tapu Lele's Psychic under Psychic Terrain, so it may be worth a mention.
Oh, my bad. I wanted to write bonemerang, got confused between the two .
Actually, I have laddered with marowak-a prior to this analysis, and since this thing doesn't have many switch-ins, teams tend to switch in salamence or gyarados(basically anything with intimidate), and will-o-wisp punishes them heavily. Though yeah it's still an inferior option, I'll add it to other options and go for low kick/stone edge.
Ye, I'll update the spread, raichu-a doesn't seem that popular anyways.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Stone Edge deserves a slash, but Low Kick definitely does, as it scores a reliable OHKO on Heatran, Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Kyurem-B, & sweeper Kangaskhan, the latter three KOs are pretty important if Marowak-A is lacking sun support. Bonemerang is great for breaking sashes on things like Deoxys-A and taking out Heatran under a Substitute, but it misses out on knocking out bulkier TTars, the two dragons, & Kangaskhan.

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Overview
– It doesn't soft check those two, it counters them. Mention Kartana over Pheromosa, as it is more common.
– On your bottom point, give quick examples of the pokemon that threaten it
– Alternatively rephrase said bottom point to "Unfortunately, it's defensive typing also leaves it with a lot of weaknesses" or something along those lines

Set
– Space before and after all instances of slashes. Fix this in moves, ability, and EVs
– Dunno if it's necessary for the coding, but Spd -> SpD is more correct
– Don't have Rock Head slashed IMO, will update with info from QC before approving.

Moves
– solid stuff mate. Mention under Shadow Bone, that it especially threatens the common Psychic-types, otherwise good

Details
– "Thick Club doubles it's mediocre attack stat to terrifying levels which is what defines it's niche." –> "Thick Club doubles it's otherwise mediocre attack stat to terrifying levels." This is a general comment towards the definition of the word niche. It means a very small specific area of any art or concept. Thick Club is therefore not a niche item.

Usage Tips
– Add a point mentioning the use of Protect to stay safe outside Trick Room, potentially while it is being set up by your ally, if your ally is safe to do so.
– More examples on things it breaks, change "wall-breaker" to "attacker"
– Edit your point about switching into Special Attacks to mention the exception of immunities or Fairy attacks. This is so you won't confuse people after calling it a Tapu Koko counter.

Team Options
– The first comma in the first point triggered me extra hard, but that's GP's problem xD
– Mention other Grass-types within your second point, and then give extra mention to Bulu by itself, so you can mention Marowak's good use of Grassy Terrain.
– Rework a lot of your bottom point. Something more along the lines of "Psychic type attackers appreciate Marowak's ability to break Steel-types such as Jirachi and Celesteela. Tapu Lele synergizes especially well with Marowak, as it breaks Dark-types with its Fairy moves."

Other Options
– Small grammar error in second half of first line, read it through yourself and should be easy to fix.
– Rock Head should be mentioned here

Checks and Counters
– Under Rain, add "if in Trick Room" at the end
– Under Intimidate, you have another misunderstood "niche", delete it. You also use hence twice in this sentence... Basically try re-typing the point from scratch, it's quite confusing to read.
– Otherwise good stuff

Update all of this and tag me here or in a chatroom. I'll come back and look at it again once you have, might approve 1/2 if it looks good by then.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
definitely don't meniton Kartana lol that thing is bad

The thing is, I really think you shouldn't use the fact that it can counter Tapu Koko as a standalone point; that's not really what Wak-A is for, really, and it's mostly just a bonus thanks to its typing and ability. What you should do is just add that mention in the resists point. Another thing is that you shouldn't just mention typings alone when it comes to resists and weaknesses; you need to give out meta examples. You can't just say it resists those typings; it doesn't matter that it does unless you can provide concrete threats with those typings. Give out solid examples for the second and last points.

You really need to the emphasize the fact that it's a powerful TR attacker more. Don't just say "a solid niche as a trick room attacker", say "strong trick room attacker" or whatever adjective you prefer.

Its Defense isn't just "decent"; 60 / 110 with invested HP is actually quite bulky.

You actually fail to mention that Lightning Rod gives it solid utility in supporting teammates ??? like fam, this needs to be on the overview and usage tips.

Also another thing in Usage Tips: it's not a good TR attacker because "it destroys common walls like celesteela, jirachi and necrozma", it's a good Trick Room attacker because it has ridiculous power that can basically break down a significant portion of the metagame. It's not good because it beats just those.

On another note, beef up that section more, it's pretty bare. Say something more about how Marowak should be used offensively, stuff like that!

Sylveon.

definitely don't meniton Kartana lol that thing is bad

The thing is, I really think you shouldn't use the fact that it can counter Tapu Koko as a standalone point; that's not really what Wak-A is for, really, and it's mostly just a bonus thanks to its typing and ability. What you should do is just add that mention in the resists point. Another thing is that you shouldn't just mention typings alone when it comes to resists and weaknesses; you need to give out meta examples. You can't just say it resists those typings; it doesn't matter that it does unless you can provide concrete threats with those typings. Give out solid examples for the second and last points.

You really need to the emphasize the fact that it's a powerful TR attacker more. Don't just say "a solid niche as a trick room attacker", say "strong trick room attacker" or whatever adjective you prefer.

Its Defense isn't just "decent"; 60 / 110 with invested HP is actually quite bulky.

You actually fail to mention that Lightning Rod gives it solid utility in supporting teammates ??? like fam, this needs to be on the overview and usage tips.

Also another thing in Usage Tips: it's not a good TR attacker because "it destroys common walls like celesteela, jirachi and necrozma", it's a good Trick Room attacker because it has ridiculous power that can basically break down a significant portion of the metagame. It's not good because it beats just those.

On another note, beef up that section more, it's pretty bare. Say something more about how Marowak should be used offensively, stuff like that!
Alright will edit this later, but one last thing, which section should beef up more, it's not clear.
Also I mentioned lightning rod in set details, should I emphasize on it in overview too?

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
a. usage tips
b. yes, the overview is about telling the most important points about a pokemon right off the bat. LRod is one of them

Pocket

I feel like Rock Head should be slashed after LightningRod. Electric redirection and immunity are nice for team support, but I don't think Electric-types are as prominent as they were in XY. In the other hand, a recoil-free Flare Blitz is a godsend for a nuke with such low base HP.

Speaking of nuking, note under Team Options that Marowak certainly appreciates Sun support from Charizard to really be a fearsome TR sweeper. Marowak-A fits best in a sunroom team.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Mega Charizard Y isn't really that required and mostly a luxury, mostly trying to avoid putting those tbhfam. I feel like Rock Head could be there too though, tbh

Sylveon.

Implemented, I've kept rock head because recoil from that 60 base hp isn't appreciable imo, otherwise everything else as you said.
Tagging Memoric

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
alright so we had a much longer debate than needed to conclude that Rock Head only should be mentioned in Other Options.

when you mention Rock Head, make sure it's understood that it is a more aggressive and Trick Room-reliant way of using Marowak

final thing in Checks n Counters, "Faster Pokemon": Don't use the phrase revenge killed, I'd rather say "threatened due to it's many (weaknesses) and / or (weak Special Defense)"

Edit these in and u get a stamp

QC 1/2

Sylveon.

alright so we had a much longer debate than needed to conclude that Rock Head only should be mentioned in Other Options.

when you mention Rock Head, make sure it's understood that it is a more aggressive and Trick Room-reliant way of using Marowak

final thing in Checks n Counters, "Faster Pokemon": Don't use the phrase revenge killed, I'd rather say "threatened due to it's many (weaknesses) and / or (weak Special Defense)"

Edit these in and u get a stamp

QC 1/2

Implemented

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
It's been a month since my last nudge so I'm being pretty lenient here, but in the next week please either write this or give me some sort of reason you can't now but will soon. Otherwise I'm going to have to reassign this.

Sylveon.

Got really busy in some real life stuff, but yeah sorry no excuses here, I'll write it up by today

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)