[MANDATORY] TEAM BUILDING HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT

Thanks for the kind words and for the suggestions!

I've been waiting for more suggestions, but it seems like the initial draft didn't pick others' interest.

So I'm going to modify the team, hoping to improve it from the last time:

The Pokemons I'll be modifying will be: Gyarados, Alolan-Muk and Porygon2.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 52 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Protect

As it has been said, a more aggressive-oriented Gyarados is better than Subdance Gyarados. As I've been testing Sejun's Team extensively in the last days, I saw how Arcanine (having a similar role to Gyarados here) is much better as an offensive intimidate attacker than a defensive one: as I say in other cardgames, the best plan is "to win", rather than "to not lose".
The EV spread is taken from TrainerTower (thanks Kyrk for the useful links), and I chose Ice Fang over EQ/Taunt because it hits very hard Garchomp, Tapu Bulu (which doesn't OHKO Gyarados after Intimidate with Wooden Hammer), and has a chance to both flinch or freeze the opposing pokemons, in desperate situations.

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 244 Atk / 44 Def / 20 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

I took EVs again from TrainerTower, as the ones I used last time were a bit off the chart. 252 Atk is unnecessary, as 244 is able to OHKO three Tapus anyway, and Fini doesn't die even with a 252 spread.
Without AV, going for Protect is far more versatile than Brick Break. I took out that move because it's very dependant on A-Ninetales being on the other team, and even Reflect+Screen pokemons are very rare. Brick Break is an out to all these moves and strategies, but it has no other uses out of that.
I kept Shadow Sneak because it usually helps to kill weakened pokemons or gets in some damage before dying (if it gets outsped from the opposing pokemons).

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover
- Trick Room

This time I went with a more bulky P2 for some speed control against both TR teams and non-TR teams. As I wrote last time, the team could have some problems with opposing P2s, so I went with Toxic here to have some inevitability against bulky/walls that can't be easily killed.
I preferred Ice Beam instead of TBolt because it has more coverage, and has the chance to freeze (paralysis is slightly better imo, but Ice hits more types than Electric).

About the "leads", I probably misspoke: the leads I was looking for were Tapu Koko + one of the other pokemons listed in my last post (so Muk against Tapus, Kartana against non-bulky teams, and Gyarados if it's easy to setup in the first turns or if Intimidate is needed, without losing "tempo"). So Koko+Muk, Koko+Kartana, Koko+Gyarados or Koko+P2 are the leads I'm looking for when playing this team.
The necessity of having Koko as lead is because he got Taunt, so it can stop status moves from the start: no TR/TW. Other than that, he got very strong attacks (thanks to Life Orb).
Usually TR/TW teams tend to lead with a Fake Out user + TR/TW setter, so a a Taunt Gyarados to help Koko stop the setup could be an option, thus Gyarados loses Ice Fang or Protect. Another option is to play our Porygon2 and wait to use TR until the other has setted it up (this way they won't be able to mindtrick you: not using TR because the opponent does it for me is awesome, if I'm the TR team).
Other than that, having more Pokemons with Protect help Marowak sweep with EQ if we couldn't stop the opponent from setupping Trick Room (so Marowak gets a lot stronger under TR), and having Gyarados with Waterium-Z gives much more offensive pressure.

Against non-TR/TW teams I don't think this team has many weaknesses: the pokemons I'm looking to bring in mostly are Tapu Koko, A-Muk, and Gyarados.
These three offer much pressure and longevity (Intimidate+Berry), while the fourth Pokemon could be P2 against bulkier teams (Toxic+Recovery spam), Kartana against aggressive-oriented teams with no Hail/Sandstorm (because of Sash, usually played after one of our pokemons dies), or Marowak (to protect Gyarados from Electric-type attacks, or get a kill on Celesteela and other fire-weak pokemons).
I know this team has the Grass-Fire-Water core, but I don't think it's needed in every match. That's why I'm trying to go always with Koko-Dos-Muk. If the opponent has many pokemons that can OHKO one of these three, I'm benching it, but I think they offer pretty much what I need in every game: an Intimidater, a Taunt user, a physical attacker, a special attacker, and a bulky support that can do some serious damage (Knock Off is so great). The last pokemon will patch the weaknesses of these three.

What do you guys think of the modifications?
I think that the modifications are much better, but it is not my place to say if you can write your own RMTs yet, I will leave that up to RebornFX, as he may want more descriptions about team synergy or other various things.

Now for some tips and advice from my time playing, An interesting idea against TW teams is to, if they have very fast Pokémon, set up TR with Porygon2 so that you flip that speed boost back against them, although it won't always work.

PS: Kartana is Steel so not weak to Sandstorm.

PSS: It would be great if you could add these descriptions to your original post.

PSSS: I like the line about winning and not not losing.

I think that the modifications are much better, but it is not my place to say if you can write your own RMTs yet, I will leave that up to RebornFX, as he may want more descriptions about team synergy or other various things.

Now for some tips and advice from my time playing, An interesting idea against TW teams is to, if they have very fast Pokémon, set up TR with Porygon2 so that you flip that speed boost back against them, although it won't always work.

PS: Kartana is Steel so not weak to Sandstorm.

PSS: It would be great if you could add these descriptions to your original post.
Oh yeah the Sandstorm on Kartana was a lapsus (I always speak of Hail and Sandstorm together, as they both do damage! :) )

The thing of TR against TW teams is usually what I do if I can't stop TW, I didn't specify it in the post, as I wrote it down in the first post I made (in the last lines).

Usually against non TW/TR teams I don't bring Porygon2 to do the TR "trick" unless Marowak is able to bring down most of the opposing party. I'm not very experienced yet on the spreads and speed tiers and such, so I prefer (on cartridge) to see how my intuition on speed tiers goes, and work accordingly.
It's probably not the right thing to do, but for now it has worked pretty okayish, before I start grinding seriously :)

I'll add the modifications to both the original post and the other post, thanks for pointing those things out!

Let's wait for the moderators' responses!

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
In preparation for this month's International Challenge, I decided to prepare a VGC team. My first one, actually, so I'm open to any suggestions you may have for improvement (as long as I can breed it on cart, of course)

At first, it was a complete coincidence (I did not check, and the teambuilding began while talking with my also VGC-unexperienced friend who wanted to run Z-Belly Drum Hariyama), but the team shares five members with the one that won the San Jose regionals, though one could potentially drop.

Anyways, here's the team:

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

I frankly love Mimikyu's capabilities as a Trick Room setter. Between Disguise, its immunity to Fake Out and a Mental Herb, practically nothing outside of double-targeting Mimikyu (which is impossible without immunities to Hariyama's Fake Out) or delaying the move by leading with a phazer (forcing it to Taunt) can prevent a Trick Room, and this is why I prefer leading with it instead of Porygon2.

I'm torn between Shadow Claw and Play Rough as the attacking move. Both moves have similarly good coverage, and with Mimikyu's underwhelming attack, the difference in Base Power does not matter that much... right? Shadow Claw lets Mimikyu threaten Tapu Lele in exchange of not being able to touch Oranguru (which it cannot beat anyways), while Play Rough... really, I'm not so sure how it can help - most Dragons are neutered with Will-O-Wisp badly enough, and most Dark-types are supporters, therefore threatened by Taunt, while Play Rough is resisted by Steel-types.

Will-O-Wisp is mostly for use under Trick Room, and helps the team deal with some physical attackers that could otherwise have a good matchup against the team - for example, Garchomp.

Originally, I had Destiny Bond in the last slot, but I sucked so much at predicting when to use it (not because of Mimikyu not being targeted, but because I underestimate Mimikyu's Rotom-A-like defenses) and I noticed some people run phazers such as Mandibuzz to stop Trick Room, and Taunt stops them in their tracks.

The EV spread is very generic but it does well enough - Mimikyu's decent base Defenses and low base HP makes it quite optimal. Brave nature and 0 IVs are even more mandatory than usual due to Mimikyu's high base Speed.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Def / 124 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Knock Off

At first, I ran Shuca Berry Incineroar over Hariyama - it disappointed me very quickly, so I swapped it with what seemed to be the most common Hariyama set, and boy now I know how well it works.

When not against particularly dangerous opponents, I lead with Mimikyu-Hariyama. Hariyama uses Fake Out on the most offensively threatening Pokemon (or the phazer if Trick Room could be stopped) and safely gets the advantage of both the Flame Orb and Trick Room.

Under Trick Room and burned, Hariyama also works (and was actually the reason I ended up picking it, thanks to how well Scarf Gengar worked on the Alola Friendly) as the main Tapu check for the team, as Heavy Slam deals very serious damage to almost everything that does not have a secondary typing that resists the move - Tapu Fini needs full physical defense investment to avoid the 2HKO, as a sample of how it deals with Tapus.

Close Combat destroys Snorlax, which is also a major threat thanks to Belly Drum, while Knock Off is general utility - or for when Trick Room is not yet set, and the opponent leads with Oranguru - Knock Off always OHKOes it, and prevents that silly case in which both Mimikyu and Oranguru use Trick Room, cancelling each other. It also prevents dangerous Instruct pairings.

Other than Max Attack, I'm unsure about the spread. Right now I'm just splitting it on defenses but if there's some cool benchmark, then I'll go all over it :D

Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 HP / 180 Atk / 92 Def
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Stone Edge
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Gigalith is a last minute addition due to me noticing the team had some issues with weather (particularly Torkoal+Oranguru or that annoying Focus Sash Ninetales), as well as the fact the slot for the special attack sponge not working as well as I wanted (first tried with Assault Vest Metagross, then with Magnezone). Gigalith also works as a secondary Fairy check with its access to Heavy Slam, which easily 2HKOes Tapu Koko and OHKOes Tapu Lele, while avoiding the 2HKO of everything bar a Z-Boosted move + STAB combo.

Rock Slide gives me a safe physical spread move (which I originally lacked), while Stone Edge and Earthquake are mostly fillers because of Gigalith's terrible movepool, but on the occasion I encounter Wide Guard users or (usually heavy) Rock-types, they work. I could run Explosion over either move, if necessary.

The spread is the one in the yet uncomplete analysis (with the 8 missing EVs given to HP because they wouldn't really work much elsewhere) so that it can survive one Liquidation from Araquanid, another annoyance due to how it can abuse Trick Room against my team.

Drampa @ White Herb
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Drampa is the main special attacker. Fantastic Special Attack and movepool, decent defenses, terrible Speed scream Trick Room special attacker.

Originally, Drampa was carrying Dragon Pulse and a Wiki Berry, but between the disappointing damage output of Dragon Pulse and... well... the fact recovery berries are actually counter-producing for Berserk, I switched to Draco Meteor + White Herb - at first I was considering a Dragonium Z, but that could make some conflicts if I ran it alongside Araquanid, and there are not many things a Draco Meteor does not hit hard enough to. On a similar note, Drampa at first had Fire Blast instead of Flamethrower, but the extra power does not seem to give any significant KOs. There's not much to say about Hyper Voice and Protect - a lovely spread move and the generic protection move (which can work if I have to reset Trick Room and Drampa is in the field).

As with Mimikyu, the spread is a generic offensive Trick Room one. As to the Modest nature... well, that's what I have on cart =/. But Drampa is already extremely slow so it shouldn't matter unless fighting other extremely slow Pokemon.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Protect
- Wide Guard

While to a certain extent Gigalith and Hariyama work as the physical attackers of the team, Araquanid is the one tasked to break through bulky Pokemon, all of this thanks to a Hydro Vortex from Liquidation OHKOing that disgusting Arcanine even at -1. Even so, Araquanid provides some support with access to Wide Guard, which is actually very convenient as Araquanid attracts Rock Slide like crazy. When protection from spread moves seems unnecessary, and given Araquanid's lack of need for coverage, Protect comes out and makes sure things don't go awry.

Given Liquidation's absurd power, Leech Life is mostly filler and it's pretty much only for use on Pokemon that take super-effective damage from it and resist Liquidation - or, on extremely situational circumnstances (such as knowing both Pokemon can Protect), to take HP from a partner such as Porygon2.

As explained above, Waterium Z is mandatory to break through Arcanine, though more often than not it's not used straight away, to lure it in using Protect one turn too early.

The spread is the same as Mimikyu's, thanks to similar-behaving stat distributions (comparatively low HP in relation to its defenses).

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

And yet again, just like in the Alola Friendly, Porygon2 is the Pokemon I almost never use. Even if it's technically the secondary Trick Room setter, Mimikyu is so good at doing it the secondary setter is almost never needed, and Download almost always gets Attack boosts so I can't really take advantage of it to hit hard with Porygon2.

I'm thinking that it could be the fact I want it to do so many things at the same time and Porygon2 cannot cope with it, which could definetly be the case - I wanted a secondary Trick Room setter, a powerful special attacker and something that could simply take a lot of hits. Not everything can be accomplished, of course. I hear suggestions for replacements. I've been thinking of reintroducing Magnezone to improve my matchup vs Celesteela, which I had to compromise by adding Gigalith.

For now, the set is entirely standard - Trick Room, typical BoltBeam coverage and Recover being generally used after Trick Room vs offensive teams that don't have anything particularly weak to Thunderbolt and Ice Beam.

The spread is also standard - as according to the analysis, it survives the most powerful weather combo one can find, but since Gigalith checks weather (though admittedly not as well vs rain), it also looks redundant.

I hope I explained it well enough. I simply don't want to make any major mistake before breeding :P

Very new to the format but want to try my hand at it this year - I took a look at Kimo Nishimura's 7th place team from Dallas Regionals because it seemed to be very offensive which seemed like a lot of fun and mirrors some concepts I would like to use in a team I build in the near future. Here is my impression and please feel free to provide feedback as; again, I am very new to the format.

Tapu Koko @ Expert Belt
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Running a fairly basic Tapu Koko to check rain teams to a small degree and also provide a way to muscle through Celesteela and Tapu Fini who otherwise wreck my team. Debated Life Orb on Koko for a long time but Koko has enough bulk to actually do something with HP so I decided to leave it with Pheromosa who picks up a few nice knock-outs with it (U-turn on standard Oranguru). The Modest nature makes it a coin flip to OHKO Garchomp with HP Ice (if only Koko got moonblast...) and the speed from Timid doesn't seem to do much aside from speed tie with other Timid Koko and outspeed a rare Talonflame (though tailwind does destroy this team)

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Protect

My Z-move user. Shattered Psyche hits very hard and picks up KOs on a lot of things my team has a hard time getting through (Defensive Arcanine is a great example as it needs heavy special investment and +SpD/AV to survive). Went back and forth between Energy Ball and T-Bolt before deciding on Energy Ball to deal with bulky grounds (Gastrodon comes to mind). The speed EVs allow me to creep opposing Lele and outspeed support (i.e. min speed) Mimikyu on TR teams that Pheromosa can't break through alone.

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Protect

This thing is a huge threat and can single-handedly stop trick room as a lead with Tapu Lele. HJK kills Porygon2 and U-turn kills Oranguru while preserving Phero for another kill late game. Poison Jab deals massive damage to the Tapus and protect gives me an option to waste opponents turns if the match-up isn't favorable. I really want to build around this pokemon - I also strongly considered choice band as that was the build I eventually wanted to use but it fit better for this team on Metagross for the same reason life orb fits on Pheromosa-durability.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm

CB Metagross is a fairly nice mon - BP is the only priority I have on the team and the ability to dodge intimidates on a CB user is very nice. The moveset is standard and the spread is standard. Hammer Arm wasn't my favorite move overall but the elemental punches are really situational I feel and being locked into either puts me in a bad position (Ice vs. Water and Thunder vs. Ground)

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

After watching the recent Norcal championship match I am really appreciating the utility of SD Garchomp and I loved the surprise factor it brought to that match. This team puts a lot of pressure on opponents so the ability to SD on a protect is a nice niche to have. Didn't want to include EQ at first because a lot of the mons on my team are weak to it (Koko, Gross, Gengar) but with two of them running protect along with two other members of the team that risk seemed diminished. The other option was Stone Edge which carries the risk of missing. Dragon claw is STAB and Poison Jab deals with Tapus. The EV spread allows me to take Timid LO HP Ice from Koko and kill with EQ - along with a few other survives as well. No idea if rough skin or sand veil is actually better so I went with Sand Veil as the team could potentially have trouble with weather and I could use a wincon against sand rush I suppose.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Disable
- Protect

I know disable is pretty weird but I have had some success with it in late game situations alongside protect and none of the other coverage moves did much for Gengar it seemed. The focus sash gives Gengar the ability to get off two attacks in almost all situations save choice scarf variations which are then crippled by disable. Cursed Body and disable obviously overlap so I am definitely open to suggestions here. I have seen Icy Wind but I don't really need speed control on this team (aside from preventing TR), HP Fire kills AV Kartana, Dazzling Gleam is very mediocre in the games I have played.

Common strategy is to lead Pheromosa+Lele/Koko (Koko only for rain teams basically) to prevent TR and start punching holes in teams. Garchomp can be brought against defensive and/or sand/sun teams to provide additional wallbreaking potential; while Koko can be brought in reserve to deal with bulky waters. Metagross puts in work against opposing offense and Gengar can kinda deal with stall. To be honest Gengar+Metagross are highly situational and I had difficulty putting them with the rest of the team. Suggestions here would probably be the most beneficial.

Thanks!

Just making it clear to everyone, you can use any team that people have had success with in this format. In fact, it would probably be a bit better to use a more recent team as it is a better representation of the current meta. I’m really sorry for the massive delay from posting this, I just haven’t had the free time that I would have liked and these responses take a long time.

TPO3
So really all of these sets are pretty standard for the most part, which isn't a bad thing of course but it does give me a bit less to comment on. Luckily Jibaku made a team report on this team (which I believe he worked on with Rajan) so I'm mostly going to be comparing this to the actual team (again not saying there's a 'right' answer, just to see the differences in your set decisions.) So their team used a Timid Koko with Volt Switch/HP Fire/Nature Power. I definitely do value HP Fire on this team due to Kartana's prevalence and the fact that besides Marowak Kartana is a real nuisance to every other member. Volt switch was often used to recycle Intimidates and his terrain, as well as gaining momentum while dealing a very reasonable amount of damage. I believe Nature Power was likely chosen due to wanting both a reliable Electric and Fairy STAB in the final slot (as well as guaranteeing the OHKO on Garchomp and Krook in Misty Terrain when Gleam wouldn't). I definitely think Modest was the best way to go on your Koko, but on theirs getting the speed tie on opposing Koko's would certainly be valuable. They chose CM over Specs, mostly as a meta call considering specs was common at the time and the ability to Protect was attractive. I'm not too sure how necessary the speed investment is given that Pelipper doesn't even 2HKO you and can make your speed investment redundant with Tailwind. A little bit of investment seems to go quite a long way with changing certain calcs. The standard set runs 44 sp.def, which survives Timid specs Tbolt from Koko out of electric terrain, and also affects the LO Nihilego calc. Enosh's Fini runs 92 sp.def, I believe to hit the same benchmark but for Modest Koko, though he ran CM Fini so it probably affected some calcs at +1 and bulk is probably more valuable on his set. 28 EVs could also be used to live a Timid unboosted Tbolt (which is a thing with Fairium Z, Sash and AV variants) in electric terrain.

252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Tapu Fini: 151-182 (85.3 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 159-190 (89.8 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Standard AV Kartana is standard, and used on both teams and I see why. I definitely think the speed is worth it, since speedtieing with Ninetales and opposing Kartana is certainly worth the minimal investment from 212 to 252 EVs. For the Krook, I think it's probably worth dumping 8 more points in to speed just on the off chance that you face an opposing max speed Adamant Krook, you might as well ensure the speed tie. Jibaku also runs 36 HP to survive uninvested -1 Kartana Leaf Blade which I think is worth it. As for the 3rd moveslot, I do think Taunt is the most solid option but there are alternatives I suppose such as Rock Slide, Roar, Rock Tomb, Bulldoze and Snarl. Marowak looks fine, though I will say the Garchomp calc is becoming less relevant since many Garchomp are opting to run Adamant now (both scarf an z-move variants). Just keep that in mind if you use this team. And P2 looks fine. Jibaku ran Return P2 but of course that has its own benefits and drawbacks and I guess its down to preference.

So yeah really solid looking team! Feel free to start posting your own teams :)

Tofu
Read what I say at the start of this post :P I really enjoyed using this team at the start of the format so it should be interesting to look over. I dislike Pheromosa lacking both Protect and Sash, I feel like one or the other is ideal. U-turn is just too situational imo, it requires that you predict that your opponent doesn’t protect the target and I find the momentum isn’t always the most necessary considering how difficult Pheromosa + Lele can be to switch in on. I’m not sure about HP Grass on Milotic, but really I don’t see how else you deal with Gastro on the team. Maybe Energy Ball would be a good option over Thunderbolt considering you have a better matchup against Celesteela and Gyarados than Gastro. Marowak probably could do with some more speed to take advantage of Tailwind as well as other Marowaks as you said. I’m really not a fan of specs Koko on this team. It really limits how you play when it comes to Marowak considering the only move you can click next to it is Discharge while being the only thing on the team that you can Discharge beside. Idk I think Life Orb is just kind of better here. That way you can drop HP Fire for Protect if you so choose, considering it’s not like it’s going to do any damage to anything that isn’t Kartana. And finally I’m just not sure Aerodactyl can fit Protect on its moveset. I know that David never even ran Tailwind because the moveslots were too precious. I would personally drop Protect for Sky Drop as it can be ridiculously valuable to ensure that your opponent cannot Protect or switch the next turn.

But yeah really great job!

Silphen
Sorry dude, I just don’t really think that you have a grasp on what Gavin was going for with this team, like at all. This team was intended to be hardcore trick room with a bunch of heavy hitters to take advantage of it. I would recommend looking at his team (which is posted in the sample teams thread) and thinking about the decisions he made and maybe putting your own spin on his team (while still keeping the team’s strong matchups) before redoing this post.

Legolax
Most of these sets are standard so again I’m not going to go too much into alternatives since really creating a fully balanced team wasn’t the point of this exercise. That being said, I will state some alternatives when you don’t mention them in your descriptions. For example, Taunt on Koko. I’m not sure how necessary it is on this team considering you have a trick room mode of your own and the ability to reverse TR, and I think it’s worth at least mentioning the alternatives of which there are plenty (Volt Switch, Discharge, HP Ice, HP Fire, Nature’s Madness etc.) Also mentioning Cloyster in your description doesn’t seem all that relevant considering to my knowledge it hasn’t had any success in any major tournaments (I have seen them used by competent players, I’m just not aware of any top cuts using it, I may be wrong however). I would consider Z-EQ Gyarados, though that may be because I highly value ground coverage in this meta, though Ice Fang does help with Garchomp which cripples this team pretty significantly otherwise (which is why HP Ice on Koko would make sense). The rest of the team seems pretty fine.

Siggu
Sorry, the point of this thread is to take somebody’s original team and pretty much try to go through their thought process as to why each member was added and add sets appropriately. It shouldn’t be too difficult to change your post to Gavin Michael’s team considering you just need to replace Gigalith with Magnezone. You would probably need to change the sets though to make up for what you lose in Gigalith and capitalise on what you gain from Magnezone. (You could also do his Anaheim winning team which replaced Drampa with Snorlax).

Scribls
This is a pretty strange team comp since many of the members seem to contend with each other for certain items (whether it be Z crystals or things like Life Orb and sash). I tend to think that Garchomp needs the Groundium Z for a team like this if you want to comofortably lead it with Koko (or anything for that matter) without worrying too much. I also value Protect on Garchomp and I don’t really feel Dragon Claw hits all that much nowadays (and when it does with the popularity of Fini it does pitiful damage). I know that other players have come to the same conclusion, like Collin Heier in his second place Dallas team. You could consider changing Dragon Claw to Protect, though I feel like that needs testing. I’m not the biggest fan of expert belt Koko considering there are a lot of targets that you kind of just want to chunk with a strong neutral Thunderbolt (Muk comes to mind) that loses out on the damage, but I can’t think of a better alternative considering HP Ice needs to be boosted so Magnet isn’t an option and LO and Sash are taken. I personally feel like Tapu Lele doesn’t need a z-crystal as much as Garchomp as it has a lot of other strong options. Scarf comes to mind, which considering this team lacks speed control doesn’t seem like a bad option. I’m not sure about Disable on Gengar. I feel like Taunt is just more useful in more circumstances (considering you have abbsolutely nothing to prevent Trick Room otherwise).

This was a pretty weird composition to work with and I think you’ve done a pretty good job with what you had to work with.

Scribls
This is a pretty strange team comp since many of the members seem to contend with each other for certain items (whether it be Z crystals or things like Life Orb and sash). I tend to think that Garchomp needs the Groundium Z for a team like this if you want to comofortably lead it with Koko (or anything for that matter) without worrying too much. I also value Protect on Garchomp and I don’t really feel Dragon Claw hits all that much nowadays (and when it does with the popularity of Fini it does pitiful damage). I know that other players have come to the same conclusion, like Collin Heier in his second place Dallas team. You could consider changing Dragon Claw to Protect, though I feel like that needs testing. I’m not the biggest fan of expert belt Koko considering there are a lot of targets that you kind of just want to chunk with a strong neutral Thunderbolt (Muk comes to mind) that loses out on the damage, but I can’t think of a better alternative considering HP Ice needs to be boosted so Magnet isn’t an option and LO and Sash are taken. I personally feel like Tapu Lele doesn’t need a z-crystal as much as Garchomp as it has a lot of other strong options. Scarf comes to mind, which considering this team lacks speed control doesn’t seem like a bad option. I’m not sure about Disable on Gengar. I feel like Taunt is just more useful in more circumstances (considering you have abbsolutely nothing to prevent Trick Room otherwise).

This was a pretty weird composition to work with and I think you’ve done a pretty good job with what you had to work with.
The comp was really strange but that is partially why I took it on as I have really been enjoying the combination of Pheromosa and Tapu Lele in the limited time I have playtested (enjoyed as in it is really fun)

In playtesting with this team and a similar team of my own creation I am using Garchomp as more of a late game cleaner than a lead but I do see the value of a z-move on chomp and a scarf on Lele. In the team I am playing more regularly I tend to use an Alolan Ninetales and AV Chomp with Aurora Veil has been a monster late game. Dragon Claw doesn't really hit anything too hard but its been nice to have a STAB attack that doesn't hit my own side as I have so many grounded mons.

I have tried a specs Koko with some success but I can get caught by Marowak if I get locked into an electric move so maybe it isn't the best either. I need Koko to deal with Fini and Celesteela on this comp as very little deals with it otherwise.

Taunt on Gengar does give me another out against Sub-Seed Celesteela and a way to prevent TR. But, a Phero+Lele lead can stop any TR setter as far as I can tell short of protect mind games from the opposition (Phero can OHKO porygon2, Oranguru, and cannot be faked out under Psychic Terrain). Overall, I think Taunt is better so I would definitely make that change after looking at it a bit more.

Thanks man!

PS - Am I good to post teams yet? Want to put something nice together to get good feedback but not if it will just get Mod Terrain Ban Hammered. Think that might OHKO my enthusiasm...

Last edited:
Here is the team I made. I picked Austin Bastida-Ramos because he has a team not unlike mine. Bulky pokemon.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- U-turn
I like tapu koko for its speed. It can sweep many teams and U-turn when it gets in trouble. I would start with this Mon and maybe Nihilego then try to set up the toxic spikes. And get one thunder out then U-turn.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
This Mon Is super bullky. Heavy Slam is a dangerous move in the hands of Celesteela. Toxic and Substitute allow for a stally setup.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute
Gyarados shares good synergy with Marowak Due to Marowaks lighting rod ability. Its dragon dance boosted z-move is quite deadly. It can also substitute to stay alive far longer then should be allowed.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Power Gem
- Grass Knot
- Toxic Spikes
This is my speedy set up Mon. I lay down the toxic spikes and try to do as much damage as I can before getting KOed. I may change grass knot a different move for a more suicide lead setup.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Detect
This Mon is scary. Thick club causes massive attack backed by surprising bulk. Kinda a standard set but effective. As I stated earlier it shares good synergy with Garados.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
Porygon2 is almost impossible to 1hko. it's typing is great due to the lack of fighting types in VGC . Tri Attack can inflect some statuses fast with its 20% chance of inflecting an opponent with a Burn, paralysis, of frozen status. Not as great as it used to be due to burns nerf in SM

And there you have a simple VGC team. hope you guys think its good!

Last edited:
Here is the team I made. I picked Austin Bastida-Ramos because he has a team not unlike mine. Bulky pokemon.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- U-turn
I like tapu koko for its speed. It can sweep many teams and U-turn when it gets in trouble. I would start with this Mon and maybe Nihilego then try to set up the toxic spikes. And get one thunder out then U-turn.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
This Mon Is super bullky. Heavy Slam is a dangerous move in the hands of Celesteela. Toxic and Substitute allow for a stally setup.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute
Gyarados shares good synergy with Marowak Due to Marowaks lighting rod ability. Its dragon dance boosted z-move is quite deadly. It can also substitute to stay alive far longer then should be allowed.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Power Gem
- Grass Knot
- Toxic Spikes
This is my speedy set up Mon. I lay down the toxic spikes and try to do as much damage as I can before getting KOed. I may change grass knot a different move for a more suicide lead setup.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Detect
This Mon is scary. Thick club causes massive attack backed by surprising bulk. Kinda a standard set but effective. As I stated earlier it shares good synergy with Garados.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
Porygon2 is almost impossible to 1hko. it's typing is great due to the lack of fighting types in VGC . Tri Attack can inflect some statuses fast with its 20% chance of inflecting an opponent with a Burn, paralysis, of frozen status. Not as great as it used to be due to burns nerf in SM

And there you have a simple VGC team. hope you guys think its good!
Descriptions are seriously lacking, please write up some.

because i really need to post a team, i'm ready for the assignment, but with a slight twist, because my computer has an issue loading the Pokemon images. i am very comfortable with VGC and plan to be there in Indianapolis this year. because i cannot tell who used what pokemon, i am just going to make some sets for the top 6 used pokemon from georgia regionals.

thank you for the helpful comments

EDIT 5 : Explanation fixes
NOTE: Thought about 252+ Specs thunder koko and groundium z chomp. may correct later.
Koko/Kartana/Chomp fairy/steel/dragon core, along with Pelipper/Kartana/Arcanine F/W/G core.
NOTE 2: Half run protect, the other three are Porygon2 (seemed redundant), a choice item user and an Assault vest user
NOTE 3: I have a much more thought out, tested, tweaked, and perfected Trick Rain team that i know better and am much more proud of, but thats the team i want to complete the assignment for for feedback. if i should put that team here, let me know.

Lead1 and star of the show,
Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 150 Atk / 252 Spd / 100 HP
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Wild Charge
- Protect

Offensive suicide lead koko, physical Z-Mirror move set. (uses Z move of last move used and then goes to +2 atk) the flyinium z also can be used for supersonic skystryke for big damage. wild charge for STAB physical move, brave bird does around 70% minimum to standard A-Wak, a common Koko counter, but gets OHKOed back by bonemerang. if not out already, can switch to Pelipper. jolly nature to outspeed most of metagame, 100 in hp to survive more attacks

+2 150 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela in Electric Terrain: -- guaranteed OHKO
The +2 150 Atk with set can outspeed non scarfed kartana, live and 2hko back.
same applies to garchomp, if not OHKOed by EQ.
if bonemerang was used immediately before Z mirror move, koko can OHKO A-Wak.
same thing applies to dragon claw garchomp on some sets via devastating drake.

Lead2
Pelliper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 240 SpD /4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Protect/Wide Guard
- Hurricane
- Scald (NOTE- if both are unresisted, scald in the rain does more than hurricane)
- U-turn/Tailwind

HP special bulk birb, Scald is rain boosted damage, hurricane is rain boosted accuracy. Pelipper is mostly here to set up rain, with occasional chip damage. U-turn for damaging pivot. 2hkoes A-Wak via scald. covers weaknesses very nicely for Kartana. damp rock to maximize rain turns. 4 Spd to outspeed uninvested base 65 pokes. higher SpD than Def for download porygon2. Wide Guard is great for eq, rock slide, discharge, dazzling gleam, muddy water, heat wave, eruption, and more. it's what i run on my main VGC team.
Thought of tailwind last minute, debated because most of the team is already speed focused like kartana via scarf and the speed creeping with Pelipper, P2, and Arcanine
and not that anyone would stay in on this anyway, (bar a prediction) but;

12+ SpA Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 192-228 (89.7 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO.
12+ SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Marowak-Alola in Rain: 134-162 (80.2 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 12 SpA/ 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Recover
- Trick Room

The p2 i run on the rain team i wish to post. ice beam helps with opposing garchomps/bulus etc, and thunder is ran over thunderbolt or discharge for more damage because of the perfect accuracy in rain, synergizes well with the electric terrain. trick room to stop opposing trick room teams. not going to grab a ton of KOs, but is great at what it does. SpD is higher than Def bc of opposing P2s

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 4 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed

AV bulkanine, FB for main STAB, but be careful bc of the damage reduction in the rain. Wild Charge for the pesky water types that like
to switch in this this guy, (also gets electric terrain boost) CC for p2, snorlax, and other general coverage, Espeed for revenge kills .
NOTE: this guy gets walled by Lighting Rod A-Wak.
Jolly/4 speed is used to outspeed base 120 uninvested. minor SpD for Download and general defenses

252+ Atk Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela in Electric Terrain: 108-128 (52.9 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Bulu: 134-158 (75.7 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery and Sitrus Berry recovery
252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Bulu in Rain: 66-78 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery and Sitrus Berry recovery
and the obvious one (in the rain)
252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kartana in Rain: 120-144 (72.2 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Late game cleaner
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash

Scarfed max atk Kartana to pick up fast KO's. STAB Sacred sword/night slash. big damage and speed for opposing tapus, likes the rain fire damage reduction. can switch into P2 if special attack is precicted, bc his SpD sux.

This set outspeeds and OHKOes nihilego, A-tails, tapu fini and lele, anything weak to it, (not P2) and almost anything with a low defense. while this set outspeeds bulu and timid/jolly koko, it is a 2hko for both, although there is a very slim chance (~6%) for standard koko. It has a chance to be OHKOed by bulu's superpower, and is ohkoed by special koko's t bolt. also gets walled by celesteela, and killed by uninvested flamethrower in the rain.

Garchomp @ Adrenaline orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 150 Spd / 106 Hp
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Poison jab

Adrenaline orb boosts speed upon intimidate, AKA arcanine/gyara, Swords dance setup, poison jab for the ever common tapus, along with any other fairies or grass types. Chomp also Helps With A-Wak. outspeeds neutral natured 252 speed base 102, before adrenaline orb. can switch out into P2 or arcanine if ice attack predicted. Earthquake is best and spammable STAB, and i decided dragon claw would not get very much value as compared to the other moves.

Last edited:
because i really need to post a team, i'm ready for the assignment, but with a slight twist, because my computer has an issue loading the Pokemon images. i am very comfortable with VGC and plan to be there in Indianapolis this year. because i cannot tell who used what pokemon, i am just going to make some sets for the top 6 used pokemon from georgia regionals.
6 random sets doesn't do anything to verify your ability to build a team. There has to be some analysis for how the team members work together. You could try and build a functional team out of these 6 mons but you'd probably be better off just taking a random team analyzed before and doing your own work on it if you REALLY can't see the teams for some reason.

Furthermore; you don't have any calcs, all but one of the spreads is 252/252/4 and that one spread is standard, none of the mons is running protect, and the descriptions provide no real detail aside from stating obvious facts (Rock slide flinches, WC for Pelliper, P2 is fat...)

The Tapu Koko set is interesting though

I took Alessio Yuri Boschetto because ive had good experience with most mons on this team
I took 3 mons from his team like you asked and made up the remaining ones

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Protect

Lets start of with the MVP and Core of this year: Tapu Koko
Standard set with T-Bolt, DG, Protect. My choice for HP fell on Poison because of opposing Tapus running around. Most dont expect to get hit with this on switches.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

2nd part of his core is a bulky Garchomp who, when Tapu Koko removed his counters, can take any hit while setting up a few SD and get rid of opposing Fire and Steel types like Arcanine and Celesteela

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Recover

Another Standard set which takes advantages of Intimidate users like arcanine and can fish for some burns on bulky pokemon like Celesteela and Tapu Fini
Its mostly there to replace Garchomps if Tapu Koko and Bulu arent present.

Braviary @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Tailwind

Beginning with my own adds to expanding the cores capabilities is this gen 5 Tailwind setter with an Attack stat that rivals Arceus
This set gives extra type coverage that was missing from Koko and Garchomp.

Crobat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Cross Poison
- U-turn

These last 2 are kinda fillers since doubles only allows 4 and since the core can already handle the populair threaths these 2 can handle the lesser gimmicky teams.
The reason for Choice Scarf on Crobat is simply to let it outspeed Koko to Whirlwind it away to get to disrupt his gimmicky strat.

Exeggutor-Alola @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Adamant Nature
- Leech Seed
- Wood Hammer
- Dragon Hammer
- Explosion

Bulky Dragon Tree to sit there and leech seed and harvest berries while hitting hard on opposing dragon and water types.
Explosion is there to get that garunteed kill when things look bad at the end of the game.

Gotta note this is my 2nd time i do VGC last year i ran a team of 4 using Kyogre and Rayquaza which did okay but not great hope i do better this year now that there is no Primal spam.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Trick Room

Very standard duck, the one i usually prefer to use. provides speed control, ice beam and t bolt for coverage, is also a fat beast!

Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Wild Charge
- U-Turn

Physical Z-Mirror move set. (uses Z move of last move used and then goes to +2) also can be used for supersonic skystryke for big damage. wild charge for STAB, u turn instead of volt switch to not be trapped by A-marowak, although brave bird does fine. jolly to outspeed most of metagame,

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed

AV bulkanine, FB for damage, WC for pel and gyara along with other water types, CC for p2 and other coverage, Espeed for priority.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash

Scarfed max atk Kartana to pick up fast KO's. STAB plus Sacred sword coverage and night slash. big damage and speed to suprise opposing tapus.

Tapu Fini @ Assault Vest
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Moonbalst
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

HP bulk fini, leftovers calm mind set. boost, taunt if necessary and do big damage.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
Jolly Nature
- Dragon claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Swords dance setup, rock slide flinches, plus standard STAB. thought about poison jab, but i've lost to this set before so i chose this one.
These are very strange sets, which can be fine, but you need to write larger descriptions about them, and about the team as a whole.

xDoctorGx the assignment, as far as I know, is to take a whole team and write an analysis about it, also, once again, you need better descriptions due to the fact that you have such odd sets!

Last edited:
Thats weird because the assignment says to only take 2-3 from it and whats wrong with my descriptions?
Your descriptions do not explain what each Pokémon does for the team, you don't explain how they synergize, how they work together, or anything else, including explaining some of the odd sets you use. and the assignment says to take two or three of the teams, not the Pokémon in them, but just one is fine.

Whats synergize? The team covers various types for them to counter is that not how they work together? i did explain the sets not sure what you expect further of it and okay ill add the rest of the guys team to the roster

Whats synergize? The team covers various types for them to counter is that not how they work together? i did explain the sets not sure what you expect further of it and okay ill add the rest of the guys team to the roster
I mean synergy, as in how do they cover each others weaknesses, etc.

Thats what i meant by covering types and countering
Okay, but the descriptions are still lacking, you might want to try and read other people's reports, and see what they say if you don't know what to write.

Edit: think of it this way, if you hadn't built the team, having read your report, would you understand how the team works and how to use it? If not, then write descriptions that explain how to use it. Also, you need to explain the individual moves, items, EVs, etc. on each Pokémon.

Last edited:
Okay, but the descriptions are still lacking, you might want to try and read other people's reports, and see what they say if you don't know what to write.

Edit: think of it this way, if you hadn't built the team, having read your report, would you understand how the team works and how to use it? If not, then write descriptions that explain how to use it. Also, you need to explain the individual moves, items, EVs, etc. on each Pokémon.
Alright ill see what i can make of it

Is this better? i wanna be sure before i make the rest in this format

I took Alessio Yuri Boschetto because ive had good experience with most mons on this team
I took 3 mons from his team like you asked and made up the remaining ones

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Protect

Lets start of with the MVP and Core of this year: Tapu Koko
Life Orb: To get the most power out of his sp.atk stat
Protect: To scout and protect myself from Garchomps Earthquake
Thunderbolt: Since Koko lacks coverage this move takes replacement for Wild Charge since it hit harder with its Terrain activated.
Dazzling Gleam: Gets STAB and is a spread move that gets rid of the Dragons that Garchomp struggles with.
Hidden Power Poison: To protect Garchomp from opposing HP Ice and because it has the same outcome (but got the surprise effect) i choose this for HP the calcs beneath shows this

Poison Jab: 252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 106-126 (72.6 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
HP Poison: 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Poison vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 91-109 (62.3 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tapu Koko should be send out first to get rid of anything that threathens its team mates, especially for its partner Garchomp

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

2nd part of this core is a bulky Garchomp,
Rocky Helmet: To get off extra damage while setting up
Protect: To scout and protect myself from opposing spread users
Swords Dance: to make up for its 0 atk investment
Earthquake: His best STAB move and easily spammable too
Fire Fang: To get rid of Grass and flying Steel types who threathen Milotic

Garchomp should be send out with Koko to setup a SD while Koko handles its counters.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Recover

Leftovers: to give it its health back over the course of the match
Scald: To weaken counters that threathen the core, good for spreading burns too
Ice Beam: To get rid of any Grass and Dragon types that Koko and Garchomp cant do anymore/yet
Protect: To scout and stop any spread moves
Recover: With help of its item gives this move almost all of its HP back which let it do damage even more which helps the team alot

Milotic should come in when theres too much threaths for Koko or Garchomp to handle itll wear em down or force a switch whichll breathing room for the core to come back in

Last edited:
6 random sets doesn't do anything to verify your ability to build a team. There has to be some analysis for how the team members work together. You could try and build a functional team out of these 6 mons but you'd probably be better off just taking a random team analyzed before and doing your own work on it if you REALLY can't see the teams for some reason.

Furthermore; you don't have any calcs, all but one of the spreads is 252/252/4 and that one spread is standard, none of the mons is running protect, and the descriptions provide no real detail aside from stating obvious facts (Rock slide flinches, WC for Pelliper, P2 is fat...)

The Tapu Koko set is interesting though
Check this now!

xDoctorGx The point is not a list, I once again recommend reading other people's assignments before you try again.

MOOSHROOM333 This is still bad, you haven't explained anything, why don't you run Protect on any of your Pokémon? Why Damp Rock on Pelipper? etc.

I would recommend to both of you that you (probably) do a complete redo of the assignment.

PS: I would also recommend, that to see if your team works well, try it on Pokémon Showdown, if it doesn't work, figure out why, and change it, then, once you have something that works good, with the six Pokémon in the team, write up the assignment, and explain everything that you did.

EDIT: Rain Update (thank you for the helpful comments, i was in a rush earlier and was not thinking straight)
EDIT 2: Minor Explanation fixes
NOTE: Thought about 252+ Specs thunder koko and groundium z chomp. may correct later.
Koko/Kartana/Chomp fairy/steel/dragon core, along with Pelipper/Kartana/Arcanine F/W/G core.
NOTE 2: The half run protect, the other three are Porygon2 (seemed redundant), a choice item user and an Assault vest user

Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Wild Charge
- Protect

Offensive suicide lead koko, physical Z-Mirror move set. (uses Z move of last move used and then goes to +2 atk) the flyinium z also can be used for supersonic skystryke for big damage. wild charge for STAB physical move, brave bird does around 70% minimum to standard A-Wak, a common Koko counter, but gets OHKOed back by bonemerang. if not out, can switch to Pelipper. jolly nature to outspeed most of metagame,

+2 252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela in Electric Terrain: 300-354 (147 - 173.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Pelliper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 244 SpD
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn

HP special bulk birb, Scald is rain boosted damage, hurricane is rain boosted accuracy. Pelipper is mostly here to set up rain, with occasional chip damage. U-turn for damaging pivot. Helps a ton with A-Wak via scald. covers weaknesses very nicely for Kartana. damp rock to maximize rain turns.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Recover
- Trick Room

The p2 i run on the rain team i wish to post. ice beam helps with opposing garchomps/bulus etc, and thunder is ran over thunderbolt or discharge for more damage because of the perfect accuracy in rain, synergizes well with the electric terrain. trick room to stop opposing trick room teams.

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed

AV bulkanine, FB for main STAB, but be careful bc of the damage reduction in the rain. Wild Charge for the pesky water types that like
to switch in this this guy, (also gets electric terrain boost) CC for p2, snorlax, and other general coverage, Espeed for revenge kills . NOTE: this guy gets walled by Lighting Rod A-Wak. Jolly/4 speed is used to outspeed base 120 uninvested.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash

Scarfed max atk Kartana to pick up fast KO's. STAB plus Sacred sword coverage and night slash. big damage and speed to suprise opposing tapus. likes the rain fire damage reduction. can switch into P2 if special attack is precicted, bc his SpD sux.
OHKOes nihilego, A-tails, tapus

Garchomp @ Adrenaline orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 150 Spd / 106 Hp
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Poison jab

Adrenaline orb boosts speed upon intimidate, Swords dance setup, poisonjab for the ever common tapus. Also Helps With A-Wak. outspeeds neutral natured 252 speed base 102, before adrenaline orb. can switch into P2 or arcanine if ice attack predicted.

EDIT #2, explanation changes. if the explanations are still an issue, help me to pinpoint the specifics that i am missing.

Check this now!
Its definitely better now - an example to help improve it further:

The damage calc for Koko shows it does 147% minimum which doesn't help you. This type of calc makes me think you could use less attack and still score the KO. You could potentially invest in some bulk instead. It'd be nice to see what benchmark you are going for with a particular calculation.

So basically; it'd be nice to see a lot more detail in the analysis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)