OU Manaphy

[OVERVIEW]

Manaphy is a powerful wallbreaker that is capable of easily breaking apart defensively oriented teams with Tail Glow, which boosts its Special Attack to incredible levels. It also boasts decent natural bulk and a good defensive typing in mono-Water, which grants it many opportunities to set up. To top it off, Manaphy has access to a number of excellent coverage moves such as Energy Ball, Ice Beam, and Psychic that allow it to customize its moveset to break through some of its traditional checks and counters. However, Manaphy suffers from significant four-moveslot syndrome, as it's unable to fit all the options it wants to run on one set. Additionally, its base 100 Speed tier, although decent, makes it largely ineffective versus offensively oriented teams.

[SET]
name: Tail Glow + 3 Attacks
move 1: Tail Glow
move 2: Scald
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Psychic
item: Leftovers
ability: Hydration
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Tail Glow is an incredible setup move that quickly boosts Manaphy's Special Attack to ridiculous levels. Scald is Manaphy's best option for a Water-type STAB move, as it has a 30% chance to burn the foe, which is useful versus certain physical attackers, and still hits relatively hard. Ice Beam hits bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Amoonguss, as well as Dragon-types such as Latios and Zygarde. Psychic allows Manaphy to beat Toxapex and the rarer Mega Venusaur at +3. However, Energy Ball can be used instead to break through certain Water-types such as Mega Slowbro, Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W. Hidden Power Fire targets Ferrothorn, a Pokemon that can otherwise take on even a +6 Manaphy. Finally, Hidden Power Electric is also an option to hit Pokemon such as Mantine and Gyarados harder.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed with a Timid nature best takes advantage of Manaphy's base 100 Speed tier. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Manaphy to hit as hard as possible. Hydration is Manaphy's only ability and is situationally useful when facing a team that utilizes rain. Leftovers gives Manaphy some much-needed longevity and allows it to take advantage of its surprisingly good bulk for an offensive Pokemon. Alternatively, Icium Z combined with Ice Beam allows Manaphy to blow back a number of its traditional checks and counters after a boost, such as Ferrothorn and Assault Vest Tangrowth, at the cost of recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Tail Glow against Pokemon that struggle to touch Manaphy, such as Celesteela and non-Bloom Doom Heatran. This Manaphy set is not very useful against offensively oriented teams, as offense tends to have multiple Pokemon that can outpace and KO it. As such, it should focus less on setting up and more on checking specific threats on the opposing team in this matchup. Manaphy is best suited for the role of an early-game wallbreaker, so don't be afraid to set up early in the match and start punching holes in the opposing team. Manaphy can take advantage of its good bulk to switch into weaker or resisted special attacks; for example, it can pivot into Pokemon such as non-Psychic Mew and Keldeo Choice-locked into a Water-type attack.

Team Options
========

Pursuit trappers such as Weavile and Tyranitar can eliminate Latios for Manaphy. They can also notably pressure Chansey, with Weavile in particular being able to remove its Eviolite with Knock Off and leave it 2HKOed by a +6 Scald. Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn have excellent defensive synergy with Manaphy, as they can lure in Fire-types and then pivot out into Manaphy to give it setup opportunities. Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Manectric that can threaten bulky Water-types that Manaphy otherwise struggles to break through such as Toxapex, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W make for good partners. Volt Switch and U-turn users such as Tapu Koko, Magearna, Landorus-T, and Jirachi are useful partners to help get Manaphy in safely and allow it to start wallbreaking. Late-game cleaners and sweepers like Ash-Greninja, Mega Pinsir, and Gyarados can take advantage of the holes that Manaphy is capable of punching into bulkier teams. Manaphy tends to bring in fast Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Mega Manectric, as they are capable of easily revenge killing it or otherwise forcing it out. As such, solid switch-ins to these Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Alolan Marowak make for good partners. Faster Pokemon such as Mega Alakazam, Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, and Choice Scarf Keldeo in general are useful teammates due to their good matchup versus offensively oriented teams, which Manaphy tends to struggle against.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set with Rain Dance / Surf / Psychic / Tail Glow and Waterium Z is an option, as Z-Rain Dance boosts Manaphy's Speed, gives it a boost to its Water-type STAB attacks, and allows it to passively heal status. Manaphy can also opt to use Hydro Vortex as a nuke in some situations when the Speed boost from Z-Rain Dance is not needed. The main perk that comes with this set is the ability to take on offensively oriented teams more reliably, but Manaphy often struggles to set up a Tail Glow and a Z-Rain Dance versus these teams, so it's usually not worth it. A Calm Mind set can be run to take advantage of Manaphy's good natural bulk, but it is generally inferior to Tail Glow and struggles to establish a niche. Rest alongside rain support allows Manaphy to instantly recover all of its HP without having to wait and wake up, but Manaphy struggles to find room for it. Surf can be used over Scald for some extra power, but it doesn't really pick up any useful KOs, and the nifty burn chance that Scald provides is generally more useful. Wacan Berry surprises some of Manaphy's usual counters, such as Magnezone and Tapu Koko. Lastly, Substitute can take advantage of the switches Manaphy forces and passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Serperior resist Scald and can take a few boosted hits from Manaphy, although all of them have to watch out for a certain coverage move.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Tapu Fini, Mantine, Mega Slowbro, and Azumarill can somewhat wall non-Energy Ball Manaphy, even after a boost. However, they struggle to do much in return.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Mega Manectric often are able to outpace Manaphy and can OHKO it with their powerful STAB attacks. Assault Vest Magnezone is particularly threatening because it has the bulk to switch into Manaphy.

**Fast Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon that naturally outpace Manaphy, such as Tapu Koko, Latios, Weavile, Gengar, and Mega Alakazam, are all capable of revenge killing a weakened Manaphy assuming it hasn't received a Z-Rain Dance boost.

Last edited:
I can't help but notice that Toxapex isn't mentioned anywhere. You should list it as a Psychic target. Even though it struggles to do much to Manaphy it can be annoying with Haze and can ruin Manaphy's one time speed boost from Z-Rain Dance.

Also on the TG +3 Attacks set I wonder if it's a good idea to mention Scolipede as a partner, as Manaphy is considered one of the best recipients for Speed boosts, although it can obviously function without them.

Reactions: Wob
I can't help but notice that Toxapex isn't mentioned anywhere. You should list it as a Psychic target. Even though it struggles to do much to Manaphy it can be annoying with Haze and can ruin Manaphy's one time speed boost from Z-Rain Dance.

Also on the TG +3 Attacks set I wonder if it's a good idea to mention Scolipede as a partner, as Manaphy is considered one of the best recipients for Speed boosts, although it can obviously function without them.
did both, could've sworn I already mentioned scolipede.

I've used this a lot so I wanted to give my opinions:

[SET]
name: Tail Glow
move 2: Surf
move 4: Hidden Power [Electric] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Energy Ball
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Scald is bad. On paper, it seems nice for burning things on the switch, but generally Manaphy is going to be used as an early-game breaker so Surf should be used over it a 100%. Speaking of early-game, you are going to realize you will need the extra power. For example, a +3 Scald has a 0% to OHKO Mega Charizard Y which is pathetic-- 0 investment Magearna, Tapu Lele, and Magnezone are living +3 Scald pretty much all the time. The move is pathetic and it isn't like ORAS where Scald was beneficial early game because the prevalence of soft checks such as Roost Latios (most are Choice Scarf / don't have Roost this generation meaning Scald is not essential) and Mega Venusaur which are barely relevant right now. Surf is superior on all Manaphy sets. To give you a different perspective, a +3 Scald doesn't even 2HKO Alolan Muk.

Ice Beam is irreplaceable. Not having a good move for Tangrowth, Assault Vest Tornadus-T, Latios, Amoonguss, Serperior (on switch obv), Tapu Bulu, Zygarde, and Zapdos is disgusting, especially when Manaphy is trying to revenge kill the last three threats.

Hidden Power [Electric] seems a bit odd, but using this Pokemon more makes me want to use it as an early-game wall breaker (which is how it should be used). You want to maximize your potential against defensive matchups where Manaphy thrives in. Hidden Power [Electric] allows you to target Toxapex, Tapu Fini, Keldeo, Mantine, and Gyarados in one slot, making it very valuable. While Energy Ball is still useful for Rotom-W and Gastrodon, a lot of times players will make the more aggressive play against Manaphy because of how Manaphy is known for +3 Energy Ball. Maximizing coverage and using Manaphy to its full potential can only be unlocked by Hidden Power [Electric] in my opinion. Hidden Power [Fire] follows for defeating Ferrothorn which is very common. Energy Ball is there mainly for Baton Pass teams. I see little reason to use Energy Ball outside of Baton Pass and maybe if you have something like Tectonic Rage Dugtrio in the back for Toxapex. But ye, Hidden Power [Electric] is superior on so many different levels. The main argument I will see is how Energy Ball has better initial power against targets such as Keldeo, but once again, when you are using Manaphy for a reason: play it right and complement its access to Tail Glow with the best possible coverage.

[Team Options]

Magnezone can be mentioned on any analysis which is why I am resilient to mentioning it on my analyses unless it is a phenomenal teammate for something like when I wrote Mega Beedrill up. I can see where you are coming from, but Magnezone is not a good teammate for this Manaphy set. If you need a way to beat Ferrothorn, just use Hidden Power [Fire] or play the hazards and chip game correctly so it is range of +3 Ice Beam. Celesteela and Skarmory are not threats to Manaphy. I do not know why you mentioned the latter when it is not even a threat to Manaphy and carry Shed Shell 80% of the time lol.

[Z-Rain Dance]

Remove. This is something I want to bring attention to the Quality Control team because I do not believe it deserves a set. Z-Rain Dance is honestly useless. I never click it and it rarely sweeps because Manaphy is still pitifully weak and will never get two boosts. More importantly, you lose a coverage move, which is basically taking away Manaphy's niche. Just use Waterium Z on Tail Glow + 3 Attacks. It's the same thing because you use Hydro Vortex to Z-Rain Dance in a 10 to 1 ratio lmfao. Manaphy has only one good set and it is Tail Glow + 3 Attacks.

[Other Options]

I would put Z-Rain Dance here. I don't see the point of U-turn or mono attacking Manaphy because you lose coverage or you make it a shitty Suicune. Substitute is fine because I think with a Salac Berry, it does the job better than Z-Rain Dance since it can take advantage of passive Pokemon and actually activate its own speed without the need of a Z-Crystal (plus Substitute puts certain offense archetypes in "checkmate" positions). Wacan Berry is hot. I'd mention Sitrus Berry for Baton Pass teams and Rindo Berry for Mega Venusaur and beating Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu since those are solid checks to Manaphy, especially since Psychic is hot ass because Ice Beam is irreplaceable as said.

Implemented most of this. I disagree with removing Z-Rain Dance as a set though. I've been using it a fair amount recently and the amount of work it puts in vs offense makes it worth having its own set imo. I realize that it's difficult to set up, but realistically rain + a speed boost + a tail glow boost is gonna be enough to take care of most offensive teams, you aren't going to need to set up two tail glows.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
On the topic of TG + 3 Attacks, you should definitely give a mention to Icium Z either in Set Details or OO if QC doesn't think its good enough. Ive been playing around with this set, and its fantastic. +3 Z-Ice Beam lets Manaphy blow past a number of its checks and basically gives it perfect coverage alongside Surf and HP Electric. Subzero Slammer is awesome because it lets Manaphy do shit like this:

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Subzero Slammer (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 302-356 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Subzero Slammer (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 572-674 (141.5 - 166.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(Note: Ice Beam into Subzero Slammer is an OHKO most of the time on AV Tang after Rocks damage; same deal with Amoonguss)

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Subzero Slammer (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 272-320 (74.9 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Manaphy Subzero Slammer (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 294-346 (98.3 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

It provides great utility at the cost of Lefties recovery, so IMO it deserves a good mention in Set Details or OO, whatever QC sees fit.

On the topic of TG + 3 Attacks, you should definitely give a mention to Icium Z either in Set Details or OO if QC doesn't think its good enough. Ive been playing around with this set, and its fantastic. +3 Z-Ice Beam lets Manaphy blow past a number of its checks and basically gives it perfect coverage alongside Surf and HP Electric. Subzero Slammer is awesome because it lets Manaphy do shit like this:

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Subzero Slammer (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 302-356 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Subzero Slammer (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 572-674 (141.5 - 166.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(Note: Ice Beam into Subzero Slammer is an OHKO most of the time on AV Tang after Rocks damage; same deal with Amoonguss)

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Subzero Slammer (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 272-320 (74.9 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Manaphy Subzero Slammer (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 294-346 (98.3 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

It provides great utility at the cost of Lefties recovery, so IMO it deserves a good mention in Set Details or OO, whatever QC sees fit.
I tested this a bit and I agree the one time ice type nuke is actually really useful, added to set details.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remove Waterium Z as a main set and move it to OO. That set has died off almost completely since its earlier hype in the beginning and the only set that's ever used anymore is just the classic three attacks set. Too many things wall Manaphy without coverage.

Change the Tail Glow set to this

move 4: Psychic / Energy Ball

Surf doesn't do anything particularly useful over Scald unless it's in rain, so Scald is 100% better for fishing burns and shit vs Ferro and other switch-ins. Psychic is the best option in the 4th slot for fucking up Pex as well as Venu and Keldeo, but Energy Ball is fine to have a better match up vs bulkier Water-types. Mention HP Fire and HP Electric in set comments, and explain their merits (HP Fire is mostly for Ferro, HP Elec still hits bulky Waters + Mantine but much weaker)

• Remove Scolipede from team options because BP is banned. The team options in general for that set is pretty lackluster, just expand a bit more on it (generic stuff).
  • Remove Scald from OO because it's on the main set now, just mention Surf instead
  • Remove Sitrus Berry cause BP is banned
Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Ferrothorn, Serperior, Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss resist Scald and can take a few boosted hits from manaphy, although all of them have to watch out for a certain coverage move.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as azumarill, mantine, tapu fini and slowbro can somewhat wall even boosted manaphy, if it's lacking energy ball.

**Fast Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon that naturally outpace Manaphy, such as Latios, Weavile, gengar, and mega alakazam are all capable of revenge killing weakened manaphy assuming it hasn't received a z-rain dance boost.

**Electric-types**: Add this section and mention Tapu Koko, Mega Manectric, and Assault Vest Magnezone

**Priority**: Priority moves such as Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack, mimikyu's shadow sneak, and even mega scizor's bullet punch (no lol) can take care of manaphy if it takes enough damage while setting up. (Remove this section because the Waterium set is no longer a main set)

QC 1/3

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
- hp electric is an alternative option to hit pokemon such as keldeo, mantine, toxapex, and gyarados.
Mention it's mostly for Mantine and Gyarados, but is otherwise a weaker move against Keldeo and Toxapex without a boost (which is the bigger concern with HP Electric).
- hydration is situationally useful when facing a team that utilizes rain, or when manaphy is paired with pelipper.
Truth be told I haven't seen many successful rain teams with Manaphy partnered with it. A lot of them would usually prefer other Swift Swimmers (Kingdra, Mega Swampert, Omastar to a very small exten) or Ash-Greninja. I think the only way Manaphy can really boon with rain is if it's using Icium Z, but I haven't really used it. Unless you have a lot of experience pairing this with Pelipper or have seen a lot of successful teams with it, my personal recommendation is to mention that it's only situational when facing opposing rain teams.
- leftovers give manaphy some much-needed longevity.
Rather iffy with this line. There are two reasons why to use Leftovers. First is recovery, obviously. The second reason is important, which you fail to really address here outside of the Overview - Manaphy has rather good bulk for an offensive attacker and can take advantage of it a little further with Leftovers recovery.
- try to set up tail glow on pokemon that struggle to touch manaphy, such as heatran and celesteela.
Mention that Heatran need to have Bloom Doom absent as well. Bloom Doom Heatran could always risk and play the trigger game against Manaphy since Manaphy will usually take the switch out to set up Tail Glow.
- in general, only set up once manaphy's checks that could potentially stop a sweep have been removed, as manaphy's lack of reliable recovery means that it struggles to properly set up more than once.
Much like Vertex stated Manaphy can be played as both an early breaker (which, honestly, I would prefer using it for) more than a lategame Pokemon. I feel the analysis should emphasis its earlygame breaking power (outside of specific checks) and capitalize on that. The only time it could "maybe" be a late game cleaner is on Webs, and even that is rather dicey.
- manaphy should try to avoid switching in directly most of the time; instead bring it in via a slow voltturn or after a teammate has fainted.
Manaphy can be used to switch into weaker or resisted special attacks - it's why it's also good for switching into Mew most of the time. Psychic is annoying, but Ice Beam and Earth Power Mew variants do shit to Mew.
- pursuit trappers such as weavile and tyranitar can eliminate latios for manaphy.
Might as well mention they also apply pressure to Chansey (especially Weavile since Knock Off means losing Eviolite - making Chansey rather soft and more susceptible to +6 Scald.
- flying types such as mega charizard y and mega pinsir can take care of mega venusaur and bulky grass-types in general for manaphy.
Mega Charizard Y has incredibly poor synergy with Manaphy as it completely cripples Manaphy's STAB. I also don't know if I would call Mega Venusaur a big problem for this set since you're running Psychic. Tangrowth isn't even the biggest fan since +3 Ice Beam does a hefty chunk to Tangrowth (+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 294-348 (72.7 - 86.1%)).

I feel the set is overall failing to capture the perks of using Manaphy and is trying to consider Pokemon that don't necessarily threaten this variation of Manaphy (now to be fair - Energy Ball variants are not a fan of Mega Venusaur and Toxapex). This is somewhat evident with:
- magnezone can trap and eliminate ferrothorn, which resists manaphy's STAB moves and can otherwise give it troubles.
In the event of Manaphy I get that it won't break Ferrothorn without Hidden Power Fire, but instead you should aim to cripple Ferrothorn if it attempts to switch-in by fishing with Scald burns or double-switching to something that actually threatens Ferrothorn. Magnezone is more of a focal point for a Pokemon like Mega Pinsir who actually can sweep late game or just be used as a breaker whereas Manaphy is, more often than not, a breaker except against really fat teams.
- tornadus-t provides manaphy with a solid switch-in to grass-type moves, and it's also able to threaten offensive teams, which manaphy otherwise struggles with.
Again, though, what Grass-types outside of Ferrothorn really threaten the standard set? Your closest is Tangrowth and Amoonguss at full health or if you fail to Tail Glow. Tornadus-T has okay synergy with Manaphy outside of the crappy weakness to Electrics (which means struggles with Mega Manectric and Tapu Koko), but Tornadus-T can also support with Knock Off, U-turn, a lot of other things.

I guess honestly I'd re-look at the entire Team Options and really consider:

- What you're doing with Manaphy
- What you want to accomplish with Manaphy
- What teammates help support that role

If you need some guidance I can help out.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
He told me it was done.

De-slash Energy Ball. Honestly this is just for Gastrodon and its not very common as of yet. Psychic breaking Toxapex is really hard to turn down.

So on top of what I said, I want you to re-modify the first OO. Talk about the Z Rain Dance set but also talk about how it can use Hydro Vortex instead of Z Rain Dance. Set should be Rain Dance / Surf / Psychic / Tail Glow. Mention that too.

Re-order checks and counters from most relevant to least relevant mons.

I think overall the mon is just really unexplored which doesnt help but, for what we got, this will suffice. Might change minds a lot on the TG 3 Attacks set so just a heads up.

Tag me when were done with that and then Ill stamp or give a final word on whats going on. Sorry for it to drag like this - just understand the circumstances with this mon makes things kind of awkward.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I would replace Mega Gyarados with regular Gyarados - I don't really see a huge point of using Mega Gyarados alongside Manaphy when regular is usually better.

2/3

Go ahead and write this up DeathByWobbuffet .

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
hi, gp 1/2
yeet

[OVERVIEW]

Manaphy is a powerful wallbreaker that is capable of easily breaking apart defensively oriented teams with Tail Glow, as it which boosts its Special Attack to incredible levels. It also boasts decent 100/100/100 natural bulk and a good defensive typing in mono-Water, which grants it many opportunities to set up. To top it off, Manaphy has access to a number of excellent coverage moves such as Energy Ball, Ice Beam, and Psychic that allow it to customize its moveset to break through some of its traditional checks and counters. However, Manaphy suffers from significant four-moveslot syndrome, as it's unable to fit all the options it wants to run in on one set. Additionally, its base 100 Speed tier, although decent, makes it largely ineffective versus offensively oriented teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Tail Glow is an incredible setup move that quickly boosts Manaphy's Special Attack to ridiculous levels. Scald is Manaphy's best option for a Water-type STAB move, as it has a 30% chance to burn the foe, which is useful versus certain physical attackers, and still hits relatively hard. Ice Beam hits bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Amoonguss, as well as Dragon-types such as Latios and Zygarde. Psychic allows Manaphy to beat Toxapex and the rarer Mega Venusaur at +3. However, Energy Ball can be used instead to break through certain Water-types such as Mega Slowbro, Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W. Hidden Power Fire targets Ferrothorn, a Pokemon that can otherwise take on even a +6 Manaphy. Finally, Hidden Power Electric is also an option to hit Pokemon such as Mantine and Gyarados harder.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed and a Timid nature best takes advantage of Manaphy's base 100 Speed tier. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Manaphy to hit as hard as possible. Hydration is Manaphy's only ability and is situationally useful when facing a team that utilizes rain. Leftovers gives Manaphy some much-needed longevity and allows it to take advantage of its surprisingly good bulk for an offensive Pokemon. Alternatively, Icium Z combined with Ice Beam allows Manaphy to blow back a number of its traditional checks and counters after a boost, such as Ferrothorn and Assault Vest Tangrowth, at the cost of recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Tail Glow against Pokemon that struggle to touch Manaphy, such as non-Bloom Doom Heatran and Celesteela and non-Bloom Doom Heatran. This Manaphy set is not very useful against offensively oriented teams, as offense tends to have multiple Pokemon that can outpace and KO it. As such, it should focus less on setting up and more on checking specific threats on the opposing team in this matchup. Manaphy is best suited for the role of an early-game wallbreaker, so don't be afraid to set up early in the match and start punching holes in the opposing team. Manaphy can take advantage of its good bulk to switch into weaker or resisted special attacks; for example, it can pivot into Pokemon such as non-Psychic Mew and Keldeo Choice-locked into a Water-type attack.

Team Options
========

Pursuit trappers such as Weavile and Tyranitar can eliminate Latios for Manaphy. They can also notably pressure Chansey, with Weavile in particular being able to remove its Eviolite with Knock Off and leave it 2HKOed by a +6 Scald. Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn have excellent defensive synergy with Manaphy, as they can lure in Fire-types and then pivot out into Manaphy to give it setup opportunities. Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Manectric that can threaten bulky Water-types that Manaphy otherwise struggles to break through such as Toxapex, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W make for good partners. Examples include Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Manectric. Volt Switch and U-turn users such as Tapu Koko, Magearna, Landorus-T, and Jirachi are useful partners to help get Manaphy in safely and allow it to start wallbreaking. Late-game cleaners and sweepers like Ash-Greninja, Mega Pinsir, and Gyarados can take advantage of the holes that Manaphy is capable of punching into bulkier teams. Manaphy tends to bring in fast Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Mega Manectric, as they are capable of easily revenge killing it or otherwise forcing it out. As such, solid switch-ins to these Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Alolan Marowak make for good partners. Faster Pokemon such as Mega Alakazam, Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, and Choice Scarf Keldeo in general are useful teammates due to their good matchup versus offensively oriented teams, which Manaphy tends to struggle against.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set with Rain Dance / Surf / Psychic / Tail Glow and Waterium Z is an option, as Z-Rain Dance boosts Manaphy's Speed, gives it a boost to its Water-type STAB attacks, and allows it to passively heal status. Manaphy can also opt to use Hydro Vortex as a nuke in some situations when the Speed boost from Z-Rain Dance is not needed. The main perk that comes with this set is the ability to take on offensively oriented teams more reliably, but Manaphy often struggles to set up a Tail Glow and a Z-Rain Dance versus these teams, so it's usually not worth it. A Calm Mind set can be run to take advantage of Manaphy's good natural bulk, but it is generally inferior to Tail Glow and struggles to establish a niche. Rest alongside rain support allows Manaphy to instantly recover all of its HP without having to wait and wake up, but Manaphy struggles to find room for it. Surf can be used over Scald for some extra power, but it doesn't really pick up any useful KOs, (AC) and the nifty burn chance that Scald provides is generally more useful. Wacan Berry surprises some of Manaphy's usual counters, such as Magnezone and Tapu Koko. Lastly, Substitute can take advantage of the switches Manaphy forces and passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Serperior resist Scald and can take a few boosted hits from Manaphy, although all of them have to watch out for a certain coverage move.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Tapu Fini, Mantine, Mega Slowbro, and Azumarill can somewhat wall non-Energy Ball Manaphy, even after a boost. However, they struggle to do much in return.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Mega Manectric often are able to outpace Manaphy and can OHKO it with their powerful STAB attacks. Assault Vest Magnezone is particularly threatening because it has the bulk to switch into Manaphy.

**Fast Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon that naturally outpace Manaphy, such as Tapu Koko, Latios, Weavile, Gengar, and Mega Alakazam, (AC) are all capable of revenge killing a weakened Manaphy assuming it hasn't received a Z-Rain Dance boost.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
p sure this is like only one thing

GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Manaphy is a powerful wallbreaker that is capable of easily breaking apart defensively oriented teams with Tail Glow, which boosts its Special Attack to incredible levels. It also boasts decent natural bulk and a good defensive typing in mono-Water, which grants it many opportunities to set up. To top it off, Manaphy has access to a number of excellent coverage moves such as Energy Ball, Ice Beam, and Psychic that allow it to customize its moveset to break through some of its traditional checks and counters. However, Manaphy suffers from significant four-moveslot syndrome, as it's unable to fit all the options it wants to run on one set. Additionally, its base 100 Speed tier, although decent, makes it largely ineffective versus offensively oriented teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed and with a Timid nature best takes advantage of Manaphy's base 100 Speed tier. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Manaphy to hit as hard as possible. Hydration is Manaphy's only ability and is situationally useful when facing a team that utilizes rain. Leftovers gives Manaphy some much-needed longevity and allows it to take advantage of its surprisingly good bulk for an offensive Pokemon. Alternatively, Icium Z combined with Ice Beam allows Manaphy to blow back a number of its traditional checks and counters after a boost, such as Ferrothorn and Assault Vest Tangrowth, at the cost of recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Tail Glow against Pokemon that struggle to touch Manaphy, such as Celesteela and non-Bloom Doom Heatran. This Manaphy set is not very useful against offensively oriented teams, as offense tends to have multiple Pokemon that can outpace and KO it. As such, it should focus less on setting up and more on checking specific threats on the opposing team in this matchup. Manaphy is best suited for the role of an early-game wallbreaker, so don't be afraid to set up early in the match and start punching holes in the opposing team. Manaphy can take advantage of its good bulk to switch into weaker or resisted special attacks; for example, it can pivot into Pokemon such as non-Psychic Mew and Keldeo Choice-locked into a Water-type attack.

Team Options
========

Pursuit trappers such as Weavile and Tyranitar can eliminate Latios for Manaphy. They can also notably pressure Chansey, with Weavile in particular being able to remove its Eviolite with Knock Off and leave it 2HKOed by a +6 Scald. Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn have excellent defensive synergy with Manaphy, as they can lure in Fire-types and then pivot out into Manaphy to give it setup opportunities. Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Manectric that can threaten bulky Water-types that Manaphy otherwise struggles to break through such as Toxapex, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W make for good partners. Volt Switch and U-turn users such as Tapu Koko, Magearna, Landorus-T, and Jirachi are useful partners to help get Manaphy in safely and allow it to start wallbreaking. Late-game cleaners and sweepers like Ash-Greninja, Mega Pinsir, and Gyarados can take advantage of the holes that Manaphy is capable of punching into bulkier teams. Manaphy tends to bring in fast Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Mega Manectric, as they are capable of easily revenge killing it or otherwise forcing it out. As such, solid switch-ins to these Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Alolan Marowak make for good partners. Faster Pokemon such as Mega Alakazam, Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, and Choice Scarf Keldeo in general are useful teammates due to their good matchup versus offensively oriented teams, which Manaphy tends to struggle against.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set with Rain Dance / Surf / Psychic / Tail Glow and Waterium Z is an option, as Z-Rain Dance boosts Manaphy's Speed, gives it a boost to its Water-type STAB attacks, and allows it to passively heal status. Manaphy can also opt to use Hydro Vortex as a nuke in some situations when the Speed boost from Z-Rain Dance is not needed. The main perk that comes with this set is the ability to take on offensively oriented teams more reliably, but Manaphy often struggles to set up a Tail Glow and a Z-Rain Dance versus these teams, so it's usually not worth it. A Calm Mind set can be run to take advantage of Manaphy's good natural bulk, but it is generally inferior to Tail Glow and struggles to establish a niche. Rest alongside rain support allows Manaphy to instantly recover all of its HP without having to wait and wake up, but Manaphy struggles to find room for it. Surf can be used over Scald for some extra power, but it doesn't really pick up any useful KOs, and the nifty burn chance that Scald provides is generally more useful. Wacan Berry surprises some of Manaphy's usual counters, such as Magnezone and Tapu Koko. Lastly, Substitute can take advantage of the switches Manaphy forces and passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fast Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon that naturally outpace Manaphy, such as Tapu Koko, Latios, Weavile, Gengar, and Mega Alakazam, are all capable of revenge killing a weakened Manaphy assuming it hasn't received a Z-Rain Dance boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)