ORAS NU LucianVega's Steelix Balance (Peaked #1)

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
vega final artwork 2.png

Recently we received a mega/non mega split, and we got few interesting pokemon, one of them happens to be Steelix which i never really got chance to use before, so I decided to make a team around it ,and it turned out to do pretty decent. I've been in NU for quite a while, but this will be my first RMT so i hope you like it :)

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

For first pokemon i chose Steelix, as it takes on physical hits very easy since its defense is so high, it stops Normal/Flying pokemon from almost doing anything, while their coverage moves in most cases wont do enough damage to deal much damage to it, it also allows me to set Stealth rock pretty easy early game which is crucial vs more offensive teams to wear them down as the battle goes on. Heavy slam will be strong stab move despite Steelix subpar attack, as it is heavier than most pokemon in tier, Earthquake is another strong stab while Toxic is here to cripple pokemon that might try to setup up on it as well as pokemon that can easily switch in vs Steelix. EV spread allows it to take on special hits better while still having enough physical bulk.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy/Hidden Power [Fire]

Steelix doesnt like taking fighting hits, and it cant really deal with some Grass/Water pokemon, so I decided to pick Vileplume as its partner as Steelix takes on vileplume checks very well too.
Vileplume has few interesting about it, named Effect spore which has 30% chance to punish opponent with status condition for dealing damage to vileplume with physical hit, it also has a pretty high sp.atk stat which allows it hit hard even without investment. Moveset is standard, i chose Hidden Power fire over ground to hit steel types(mostly ferroseed) which would otherwise wall it.You can also have Aromatherapy to help with teammates with status conditions during battle.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

So my core by far was weak to Fire types, as well as Ice moves,so Hariyama was my choice for third pokemon. Its amazing HP stat coupled with excellent ability in Thick fat and added Assault vest allows it to take on strong wallbreakers like Magmortar,Pyroar,Aurorus relatively easy,while doing enough damage to revenge most of them with its high Attack stat. CC is strong stab that hits anything hard, while knock off deals with psychic pokemon that switches in, I picked Earthquake over Fake out which allows me to hit poison types like garbodor/skuntank or just other pokemon that are weak to it while not taking def and spdef drops from CC, and bullet punch is there to finish weakened pokemon and frail sweepers.

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hex
- Volt Switch

Rotom regular form is pokemon i actually havent used before, but it turned out to be really good addition to my team.I needed 1 more way to deal with Psychic/Flying pokemon like Xatu/Claydol,Pelipper/Mantine and it looked promising. Its also another Normal/Flying/Fighting check for the team and its immune to ground due to levitate. Will-o-wisp is great move to hit switchins and Hex becomes strong stab after i burn my opponent, Rotom naturally doesnt have high HP so pain split is a good recovery move, and Volt switch allows it to be excellent pivot. It also has very good matchup vs spinners like Claydol/Hitmonchan which makes it a good spinblocker. EV spread is more defensively based, 88 speed allows it to outspeed base 70s while rest of Evs is added in bulk to take hits better.EV spread of 224 HP / 76 Def / 208 Spe is also possible if you want to outspeed Jolly Sawk and still have good bulk.

Pyroar (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower/Overheat/Sleep Talk
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

At this point, what I needed was a strong special wallbreaker that can spam its stab moves to hit anything hard. I first had few options being Combusken/Magmortar/Aurorus/Floatzel but I thought that Pyroar suited mostly.My team also lacked a speed control and Pyroar had high speed too, which allows it to outspeed most fast threats with its 106 speed stat, while faster ones like Archeops/Tauros/Floatzel/Sceptile can be taken on with other pokemon in team.Its typing gives it immunity to Will o wisp and Ghost types moves, and since my team doesnt like getting Wisped it will be really helpful. I chose Choice specs as my item over LO since pyroar doesnt like taking recoil from Life orb, and Stealth rock is very annoying during game vs it. Choice Specs also allows me to spam Fire blast/hyper voice stabs everytime i get pyroar in and punch holes in opponents team. Flamethrower is here to help me finish my opponents team if pokemon are already weakened and HP grass allows me to hit Rhydon/Carracosta and few others for high damage,you can also use Overheat over flamethrower as pyroar is hit and run pokemon early to mid game. Sleep Talk is also a possibility since Jynx/Vivillons tend to be a problem to balanced teams sometimes,it also gives you switchin to Lilligants if you do not want Vileplume to get weakened and in general.

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

It took me some time to choose last pokemon, and I might change it a bit as the time goes on, but ill settle with Samurott now, as its one of the best Late game sweepers and win conds atm. Samurott decent bulk allows it to setup vs many pokemon that wont hit it super efectively. EV Spread allows it to outspeed base 55s and modest aurorus while other are put in attack and bulk to help him setting up easyer. For item I chose Lum berry since most walls that like to switchin on physical samurott will either Wisp it or try to scald burn it, while Torrent as ability raises its water moves to high lvl. Megahorn hits Psychic/Grass types for huge damage and its a strong move that hits most things neutrally that waterfall cant hit hard.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Air Slash/Rest
- Toxic/Sleep Talk/Haze

Ive been using this team for almost a week, and I can say that Mantine works very well with this team, so i decided to use it over Samurott, it provides my team with defog and water immunity, its also 2nd ground immunity on the team which is always helpful.I recommend Rest/Talk on this set because Mantine has no reliable recovery and slowly gets weakened by hazards, but Air Slash/Toxic is also nice to hit grass types like Cacturne/Vileplume and pokemon like Jynx/vivillon.Haze is also an option,not letting Malamar and some threats setting up which could be a problem.

Team Version 1(original):
Steelix @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy/Hidden Power [Fire]

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hex
- Volt Switch

Pyroar (M) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower/Overheat/Sleep Talk
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Air Slash/Rest
- Toxic/Sleep Talk/Haze

Team Version 2(Rapture's Finest edit):
Steelix @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 224 HP / 76 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Pyroar (F) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sceptile
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Team Version 3(Jarii Edit):
Steelix @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Moonlight
- Barrier

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Pyroar (F) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Toxic

Shoutouts to:
-Dann3 for making me title art and testing team!
-Unbo for testing and playing gud on ladder!
-Chillshadow for test battles!
-HellfireCancer for testing!
-Zben for liking NU balanced cores!
-Kamehameha2333 for testing
-Infiltrate, Ripmoff, Allstar124,nadaplease for group ladder
-Rapture's Finest and Jarii for cool edits
-BighairyPenguin for peaking with me on another acount

Proof of Peak(Peaked 1 on Two acounts):
rank 1 nu.png

rank 1 hellfire.png

-Fantastic Four
-HellfireArmy

Threatlist:
-Jynx:Playing around jynx is hard, as its access to lovely kiss and dual stab can break many cores, Steelix has huge defense stat to deal with psyshock and some Spdef Evs to take on Ice beams better, Hariyama having thick fat can switch on predicted Ice beam but and finish it with bullet punch but youll need to be very careful with it. Pyroar can OHKO LO variant easily but its afraid of focus sash ones more since its access to lovely kiss.
-Sawk: Sawk is one of those that I didnt have problems playing around with, as Vileplume can take any move except Zen headbutt, and i have other pokemon that take on predicted Stone edge/knock off/EQ, Rotom can freely stay in vs Knock off with colbur and wisp it back, but its a shaky check to mold breaker sawk with Eq.
-Rotom forms:These are harder to play around with,Fan being hardest one which i didnt saw on ladder recently, but Wisp/Air slash can be really annoying to my team, Pyroar revenges it and Steelix can Toxic stall it.Again,they are not really threatening,just a bit annoying.
-Kabutops/Carracosta: Vileplume will KO back any of these,while other can deal with them instantly 1v1, but try not to lock yourself into fire blast with pyroar because if they setup with SD/Shell smash it can be devastating.
-Samurott:Again,Vileplume deals with physical Samurott, while on special way i deal with it is to switch vileplume on water move and then into Hariyama on ice beam, but its still threatening to face
-Malamar:If Samurott with megahorn is removed, team becomes more weak to malamar, Pyroar does massive damage with fire blast+prior damage can wear it down,while Rotom stops it from gaining boosts from Superpower.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Defensive Steelix / Defensive Vilepume / AV Hariyama / Bulky Rotom / Specs Pyroar / SD Samurott

Hi PrinceLucian, I have a couple of suggestions to help with some of the threats that you mentioned while still keeping the focus of the team the same.
  • >
    - My first suggestion is that you drop Vileplume for Pelipper which still gives you a sturdy fighting resist, an arguably better water check, and is also a reliable defogger which in my opinion is useful to have on teams with Pokemon like Pyroar and Hariyama that are prone to being worn down quickly by hazards. Hariyama, in particular, you want as healthy as can be to check fire and ice types that otherwise give this team problems so it really appreciates the hazard removal.
  • >
    - Using Pelipper however will give you an overlapping type with Samurott, so in order to maintain the offensive presence that Samurott brings to the table without opening up too many holes in the team, I suggest that you replace SD Samurott with SD Sceptile. A physical set with Swords Dance/Leaf Blade/Earthquake/Acrobatics gives the team an extremely threatening sweeper that pairs well alongside Pyroar as the two are able to beat each others checks rather easily. Sceptile also is also an offensive check to water types that can check or beat many of that threats you mentioned like Sawk, Jynx, Carracosta, and Samurott.
Finally, this is more of a nitpick if anything, but you can also Ev Rotom to outpace Jolly Sawk which can help so that Pelipper won't shoulder all the burden of keeping it in line. Overall pretty nice team bro, hope you like my suggestions.
Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Sceptile
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Hey PrinceLucian, I really like the team! Hariyama is pretty underrated yet very good since priority is super important in this meta. Specs Pyroar is not something you see everyday (normally it's 3 attack + Will-O-Wisp Life Orb) but it's hit like a truck and can provide many holes in alot of teams. That said I have some suggestions to help you with the team.

Barrier Musharna > Vileplume - Since you said in your threatlist that sawk is a serious problem for your team I suggest this change. Musharna is one of the few counters to Sawk we have in this meta, it gives you a serious fightning resist while not having to predict sawk to go for Zen Headbutt. Musharna also is a great partner with Colbur Rotom since Dark types are the main problem for Musharna. Colbur Rotom is a great to lure in Dark types take the hit and Will-O-Wisp them to widdle them down turn by turn (as well to cut their attack in half of course).

Mantine > Samurott - Mantine is an reliable Defogger with your team really likes since you're really weak to Toxic Spikes with Musharna on the team over Vileplume (if you decide to change that). Mantine also gives you a solid Water switch in with Water Absorb, also helps you that you do not have to hope that Scald burns you. It's also a Samurott check what you have put in your threatlist. With Mantine on the team it also gives you another Sceptile check what in my oppinion your team does not like facing.

Finally, what Rapture already said I would Ev Rotom to outpace Jolly Sawk what helps you to have another check to Sawk. This way you do not have to rely on Musharna alone to check Sawk and other fightning types. Overall I really like the team, hope you like the suggestions I have made.

Musharna @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Moonlight
- Barrier

Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Toxic

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
Tbh i really like both of your suggestions, Pelipper/Mantine were 2 pokemon that I considered while teambuilding as defogers, but ended up not having them. Sceptile is another pokemon with excellent speed tier that i wanted to use so im pretty sure pelipper/sceptile over vileplume/samurott can work in V2 of team.
Another team i never tryed is Barrier musharna, and I would really like to, I feel like Colbur berry is definitely better on this version of team because of Shiftry/dark weakness. Ill put importable of both versions and test them, as i think team can have variations.

Last edited:
Sceptile dropped for a reason you guys, use it or lose it.

Anyway pokegod chiming in. Few changes I would make is make rotom faster, enough to outspeed shiftry at least, so you can burn it before it knocks the life out of you. (168+ speed evs). And since samurott rekts your team late game, I rather see thunderbolt on your rotom instead of volt switch.

Nice team I dont see any blaringly obvious weaknesses barring maybe calm mind offensive audino.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
Nice suggestion oshony, shiftry is definitely something to be careful of, so making Rotom outspeed it and wisp it sounds like a good idea, only thing to be careful are leaf storms. Tbolt over volt switch also doesnt sound bad, even tho voltswitch is very nice move to have, my team doesnt benefit too much of momentum, so it's nice thing to consider.
Offensive audino could be an issue, so playing around it and scouting for set helps me dealing with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)