(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Probably because it was simpler to disable the use of the name rater on Pokemon without your OT than it was to track which traded Pokemon had nicknames and which didn't. It's real annoying, especially with gift Pokemon, though.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Probably because it was simpler to disable the use of the name rater on Pokemon without your OT than it was to track which traded Pokemon had nicknames and which didn't. It's real annoying, especially with gift Pokemon, though.
Based on how the data is structured and shown in save editors, it seems extremely easy to make the change, though. Because there's a flag there that checks whether the Pokemon has a nickname or not. I'm not sure what it's used for besides the one case in the cryptic Regigigas puzzle in OR/AS, though (or if there's another way the game figures out the regice has a nickname for that matter).

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Based on how the data is structured and shown in save editors, it seems extremely easy to make the change, though. Because there's a flag there that checks whether the Pokemon has a nickname or not. I'm not sure what it's used for besides the one case in the cryptic Regigigas puzzle in OR/AS, though (or if there's another way the game figures out the regice has a nickname for that matter).
I’ve had a German named Larvesta evolve into “Volcarona” in ORAS, so maybe that uses it too?

If a Pokemon does not have the nickname flag set to true, upon evolving, it will be renamed to its species name from the game it evolved in.

This way, a non-nicknamed Pokemon called "ストライク" will be renamed to "Scizor" after evolving, if your game is in English, Spanish or Italian; it will be renamed to "Scherox" if your game is in German, etc.

If I'm not wrong, it's been the case since Gen IV made international transfers easy. Beforehand, if it didn't have the species name from your game's language, it assumed it was nicknamed.

Now Pokemon is one of the best video games I ever play but it grinds my gears when I encounter over-confident and selfish Trainers when I battle them. It happened at one time when I was playing Pokemon Black 2. I was struggling to take down a single Pokemon because I was unprepared and my opponent just HAD the audacity to say I'm weak. After the battle, I said "That was nothing." in an attempt to shrink his/her overconfidence and said "true Trainers get prepared for their next battle".

It's not a problem to have fun during Pokemon battles but Trainers who act selfishly make me sick. I hope this is a valid point on this thread.

You'd think, but there's a bunch of weird legacy crap that in the games' code that's probably not as easy to fix as it looks to an outside observer.

Sort of like how it's been six generations since breeding was introduced and Nidorina/Nidoqueen still can't do it even though their male counterparts can.

I absolutely hate fishing and everything related to. Fishing is incredibly boring, 95% of the times you know you'll find crap and the painful slow mechanics just make it all worse.
Oh and the terrible fishing puns that wimpy Fishermen trainers just adore to say and have been saying since Gen 1...Really, Fishermen is the most pathetic trainer class by far.

You'd think, but there's a bunch of weird legacy crap that in the games' code that's probably not as easy to fix as it looks to an outside observer.

Sort of like how it's been six generations since breeding was introduced and Nidorina/Nidoqueen still can't do it even though their male counterparts can.
Well, that's not exactly a good example. All they'd have to do is change the Egg Group numbers on them, but for some reason they don't want to.

For some reason, they didn't do it when moving to Gen III and rewriting the entire game from scratch.

I made a video after 5 years indirectly addressing the problems I have with the main Pokemon series. Though the topic is mainly ironicly about remakes on the games I dislike the most.

Happy new year

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I hated gen 7 so much that I still haven't played USUM. It's not something I'm willing to spend my own money on or even make a priority to play. The story wasn't fun the mons were lame. The game was to linear with little to no exploration to be done as the whole game was plotted out for you. I disliked this immensely and was extremely disappointed with how they chose to do this.

I hated gen 7 so much that I still haven't played USUM. It's not something I'm willing to spend my own money on or even make a priority to play. The story wasn't fun the mons were lame. The game was to linear with little to no exploration to be done as the whole game was plotted out for you. I disliked this immensely and was extremely disappointed with how they chose to do this.
I feel a similar way. All the stuff I want to do in USUM feels so much later in the game and getting through the first island was an absolute chore. I still haven't been bothered with it. Haven't felt that way about a game since Gen 5. Which is a shame cause I loved gen 6

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Listen up, fellow Smogonites! Here's where I share an opinion you didn't ask for! Zzzzt!

While the Rotom Dex has been tagging along as our companion ever since our first visit to the Alola region, I couldn't help but notice that its repertoire of catchphrases has been expanded and that it's unfortunately also become more obtrusive than ever.

Please don't get me wrong though, I'm by no means saying that it's overall a bad feature! As a matter of fact I'm even convinced that it's a considerably beneficial feature especially for younger players that may have picked up a Pokémon game for the very first time and the Roto Loto powers have proven themselves to be notably useful as well! However, it's safe to assume that I speak for the vast majority of us more experienced players when I say that it becomes repetitive and annoying after a while. The problem consists in the fact that the thing doesn't have an "Off" switch. In my honest opinion they should have given us the option to turn it off and back on (in case we want to collect more Roto Loto powers for example).

It's of course notably counterproductive if it brings the adventure to yet another unnecessary halt every couple of minutes.
"Game Freak" has become more of a "Control Freak" over the last couple of years, suffering from a severe case of "Helicopter Parenting".
I've seen a lot of fellow users rightfully complain about how the adventures are too linear these days and that you, as the player, are being held by the hand too much, let alone too often. There's not much room for experimenting and trying to figure out things on your own if the smart-aleck fellow treats you like a child that can't do anything on its own all the time. Even after you've beaten the game, it still won't leave you alone. Imagine your best friend reminding you every 10 minutes that you get wet if you go outside while it's raining. Sounds like a ton of fun, right?

Ultimately this begs the question: Has science gone too far?

I can't wait for the moment where our mother joins us on our adventure and picks our starter and clothes for us.

Last edited:
Please don't get me wrong though, I'm by no means saying that it's overall a bad feature!
What you're all apologetic for? The rotom dex is goddamn awful feature and most people will agree with you on that. Heck, Game Freak even managed to completely ruin O-Powers by adding stupid rng to it. Oh, and lets not forget how it guilt-trips you if you ignore it and will hardly ever trigger the Lotto if you don't put up with its shit.

This is legitmately the most annoying shit I've had to put up with in a game since goddamn Navi.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What you're all apologetic for? The rotom dex is goddamn awful feature and most people will agree with you on that. Heck, Game Freak even managed to completely ruin O-Powers by adding stupid rng to it. Oh, and lets not forget how it guilt-trips you if you ignore it and will hardly ever trigger the Lotto if you don't put up with its shit.

This is legitmately the most annoying shit I've had to put up with in a game since goddamn Navi.
Anyway, adding to the discussion, let's not forget that you can't see the map unless Rotom Dex is doing nothing, which it doesn't like to do. Rotom talking? Map screen is it's mouth (and where its dialogue box appears) so you gotta wait till it's done talking (and it likes to talk on its own after every little cutscene or switching between screens). Roto Loto? Heck, it completely stops the game to do this drawn out slot machine spin, which you have to tap again to stop spinning, in order to get a Roto Power which was predetermined before you spun so WHY WITH THE LONG ANIMATION? Either give me a chance to try and get a Roto Power I want (which, as no-games pointed out, is a downgrade from O-Powers that let you pick whatever power you wanted) or just give me the random Roto Power. Oh, and whenever it wants to ask you a question it gives you this bored look and whenever you can spin the Roto Loto its eye flashes green, two annoying things forcing you to interact with it to make it stop.

Last edited:
Apart from the completely random nature of the Roto Loto (I stopped using it as I was getting too many discount powers), what I don't like about it is the fact the hints it gives are rather... poorly programmed.

There's not one playing session where Rotom goes "Hey, it's been a while and I don't think you've saved---"... I've just done that!

I'll keep the next complaint in spoiler tags because it's related to the story.

Lillie.

Again.

One of the hopes I had for USUM is that Lillie's overexposition and in-story shilling were toned down to become an actually likeable character. Not only that wasn't toned down, but what perhaps was her only good moment in SM (calling Lusamine out for her treatment of her) was removed. What's more, when you get to Episode RR, she joins you for a double battle, seemingly having turned useful for once. Nope, back to talking Pokemon Center right after that. She may become a Battle Tree partner, but that's post-story... and her team is of dubious quality anyways (and for some reason, the Clefairy she used in Episode RR is completely missing).

At least Lillie is barely less of a story black hole compared to SM as you don't have to go through the climax because of you somehow being forced to solve Lillie's mommy issues (even though you could perfectly ignore Lusamine as she was all too happy to stay with the Nihilego and not try to threaten the region ever again), but because of an actual threat to Alola.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Apart from the completely random nature of the Roto Loto (I stopped using it as I was getting too many discount powers), what I don't like about it is the fact the hints it gives are rather... poorly programmed.

There's not one playing session where Rotom goes "Hey, it's been a while and I don't think you've saved---"... I've just done that!

I'll keep the next complaint in spoiler tags because it's related to the story.

Lillie.

Again.

One of the hopes I had for USUM is that Lillie's overexposition and in-story shilling were toned down to become an actually likeable character. Not only that wasn't toned down, but what perhaps was her only good moment in SM (calling Lusamine out for her treatment of her) was removed. What's more, when you get to Episode RR, she joins you for a double battle, seemingly having turned useful for once. Nope, back to talking Pokemon Center right after that. She may become a Battle Tree partner, but that's post-story... and her team is of dubious quality anyways (and for some reason, the Clefairy she used in Episode RR is completely missing).

At least Lillie is barely less of a story black hole compared to SM as you don't have to go through the climax because of you somehow being forced to solve Lillie's mommy issues (even though you could perfectly ignore Lusamine as she was all too happy to stay with the Nihilego and not try to threaten the region ever again), but because of an actual threat to Alola.
Yeah, it felt like they didn't know what to do with Lillie in USUM with how they changed the story. While much of Poni Island was still Lillie driven, they also excluded her from many moments resulting in it feeling like Lillie was missing from parts of her own story. Like, why was it decided that this time Lillie didn't come with you to Exeggutor Island (you know, one of the moments in SM where Lillie showed some interest in becoming a trainer because she admired the player). And also her speech to her mother being done off screen, though I'd also imagine it would be less intense as in SM she was talking to a Lusamine who's probably under the full effect of Nihilego so she needed to talk rashful in order to get through to her (not that it worked, but it riled Lusamine enough to battle and us knocking her back to her senses). But in USUM it seems like her focusing on stopping Necrozma in order to save Alola brought back some of her sanity, at least enough where upon being defeated by Necrozma she came back to her senses and realizing how terrible she's been. And then we have the Rainbow Rocket episode where its revealed she's a trainer now... and she only has a Clefairy. And after that battle she just goes back to healing and even gets held hostage. And now all she does is hang at Kukui's place asking if the player will be her partner at the Battle Tree and she doesn't have that great of a team there either.

While I can understand people not liking Lillie because the game becomes sort of her story near the end, personally I didn't mind as at least it wasn't a story about me saving the world. Well, it had components of that, but the crux of the story was pretty much the player helping their friend essentially take back their life and heal family wounds which they're unable to. Because, at least in Gen VII, what else did the player character have going on? But then Ultra Sun & Moon made it into a regular "save the world" story... except it didn't feel that way until the VERY end which you then fix it and "save the day" within an hour. They tossed out a more personal and game length building story for a more generic "save the world" one easily tied up in a few minutes it became a problem.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sorry for double posting, but wanted to respond to this post a while back:

I made a video after 5 years indirectly addressing the problems I have with the main Pokemon series. Though the topic is mainly ironicly about remakes on the games I dislike the most.

Happy new year
Now since a lot of this sounds like wishlisting, I'm going to put this into a spoiler tag.

100% Synchronize On Stationary Pokemon: I not only agree, but also would like to this be applied to Event Pokemon as well.
Bottle Caps To Change Hidden Power Type & IVs to 0: I agree on being able to change IVs to 0, though honestly Hidden Power you should be able to choose its type another easier way (I'd also let you change what Category it was so Physical Pokemon can use it then). However, I'm curious is maybe Bottle Caps could also have Ability Capsule unlock Hidden Abilities and be used to change a Pokemon's Natures.
Less Backtracking (Sinnoh Issue): I guess they could do what they did in ORAS by having a character letting you essentially teleport back with them to the next location you're suppose to be at, but that could feel like hand holding. Maybe including new locations we could explore in backtracking locations would mitigate this problem, sure you're backtracking but at least there's new stuff to check out and maybe Pokemon to catch/trainers to battle.
No HMs (Sinnoh Issue): I feel this and the previous issues build upon each other. HMs are a pain in Sinnoh as you pretty much need either to fill a third or half your team with HM slaves in the originals. Guess they could have Poke Rides, would have to include new ones/change how some obstacles worked but it could work. Still, would be a same to see HMs not in the game, I liked Gen V/VI's methodology with HMs: not mandatory to progress but used to explore more of the area. I have a ton of idea myself how HMs could be painlessly brought back BUT I think that'll be too much wishlisting on my part so let's just move on:
More Ice-types Early/Mid Game (Sinnoh Issue): Mt. Coronet would be a good place to stash a few early Ice-types like Snorunt, Bergmite, Swinub, and Sneasel.
More Fire-types In General (Sinnoh Issue): YES. I get it, Sinnoh is a cold region, but can't throw in a Fire-type in the greener locations or the mines (Oreburgh City has a COAL mine! How is there no Fire-types)?
Difficulty Setting: Would like and better done than in B2W2 (like make if available in both versions from the start); though not likely.
Tropical Island/Alolan Variant/Island Guardians Locations: Eh... well, first off, let's keep in mind Sinnoh Remakes won't happen at least until Gen VIII is out on the Switch. So, much like with the Gen VI Pokemon, when they do the "Legendary Hunt" for Gen VIII they'll include the Gen VII Legendary. However, I'm skeptical if they'll create their own location just for them. Whatever they do for the other Legendary Pokemon I imagine they'll also do for the Island Guardians. As for Alolan Pokemon, ugh, well for Sinnoh there's an easy roundabout for that: Backlot's Trophy Garden (the Alolan Variant evolutions are a bit more tricky, maybe use the Strange Souvenir like have the Pokemon be holding it when it evolves).
Battle Frontier: PLEASE! Don't make the same mistake as ORAS! Plus the Sinnoh Battle Frontier is mechanically more easier than the Hoenn one.
Unlockable Permanent Experience/Catch Rate Increase: That's still not going to help if there's no good grinding spots. We really need a White Treehollow/Black Tower location (which have trainers who use Blissey) to really have a place we can grind. Also the limit to use Hyper Training should be decreased to Level 50 or just something you can do once you become Champion.
Item Evolving Pokemon Very Likely To Hold Evo Item: Yeah, that only makes sense. Though I'd also just like to have one of those items available to get around the time you're starting to evolve your Pokemon (be it on the ground or given by someone) while extra can be bought via BP points. Also ALL the Evolution Stones should be available early to give the option whether to evolve those Pokemon early.
Eevee Available Early/Mid Game: Sure, some games have already done that too. Though the next issue needs addressing concerning Eeveelutions.
Location Based Evolutions Available Early/Mid Game: The Moss and Ice Rock shouldn't be hard to find an early location for, for Sinnoh specifically the Ice Rock is only a problem and, as I said with the Ice-type Pokemon, just place it somewhere in Mt. Coronet. However we can't forget the other locations. There's four we need to include: Moss Rock, Ice Rock, Magnetic Field, & High Location. Sinnoh only needs the last one and, once again, top of Mt. Coronet would be that location.
In-Game Trades With Trade Evolution Pokemon: Would be nice but won't happen, at least not without the Pokemon holding an Everstone.
"Demote" Another Mystical Pokemon (Sinnoh Issue): Now with Sinnoh having a whopping 4 Mythical, I can see them maybe demoting at least two. However for now let's focus on one: Manaphy. If they demote any I think Manaphy is a prime target, being it was originally given out not through an event but through another game. Unless they're releasing another Pokemon Ranger game for the Switch, might be better to have something like "Ranger Missions" (like Looker Missions) where you help Pokemon Rangers and in the end are trusted with a Manaphy Egg. As for the other Mythicals...
Release Event Items (Sinnoh Issue): I'd like to see them do the Event Items again, and this time releasing the Azure Flute as well (especially because the reason they didn't release it was STUPID). I'd also like to see them expand upon the events but that's another discussion entirely.
Version Exclusives: No opinions here though my list would be different, but I'm not getting into that.
Mesprit & Cresselia Don't Roam (Sinnoh Issue): Agree, though would like them to do something extra with them. For Mesprit maybe do what they did with the Winged Mirages in XY and have you chase them until following them to their nest. For Cresselia how about a side quest where several children around Sinnoh are afflicted by Darkrai and you need to cure all of them before Cresselia would battle you (you could also make this a requirement to use the Member Card, build up a story).
Golem Trio Are Available (Sinnoh Issue): Agree. Maybe require needing to see Regigigas first but if they want to keep the Regigigas event in they're going to have to include the Golem Trio in the game.
Giratina & Episode Platinum (Sinnoh Issue): Would be a shame to not to have the Distortion World in the game. Maybe at the climax of the main game story, they can have Giratina appear and snatch away Cyrus. Then we can have an "Episode Platinum" where, instead of Charon and the remainder of Team Galactic are trying to catch a Heatran, instead they're trying to figure out what took Cyrus and where he is. That'll lead into the Distortion World and we'll have the final encounter with Cyrus there plus get to catch Giratina, Cyrus than deciding to remain in the Distortion World and vanishing into the void.
Creation Trio & Ultra Space (Sinnoh Issue): Good point about using the Creation Trio (or maybe just Dialga and Palkia) to access Ultra Space. Hopefully, being Dialga and Palkia are gods, we can more control where we go (thus better prepare). I do not like the Ultra Space Ride and do not want it to return, I find it needlessly complicated and too luck reliant for the end purpose. Also, unless they add a Megalopolitan (someone from Ultra Megalopolis) I don't think we'd be visiting Ultra Megalopolis. For Poipole we'd probably go to its world. As for Silvally, that's tricky as it's not suppose to exist until Gladion frees his Type: Null and evolves it... oh who am I kidding, they're just going to ignore that. Eh, just give it its own world in the Ultra Space too, maybe hint you traveled to a future Pokemon world.
Title Defense: Ooh, that'll be fun! For Sinnoh we have the Stat Trainers too to fill out the potential challenger roster. I can also see Saturn being a potential challenger, being he sort of tries to create a new Team Galactic after Cyrus vanishes. Hmm, who else. Maybe Cynthia's little sister? Also, I highly doubt Dawn/Lucas will use the other version Legendary on their team.
Meloetta Forms: Hmm, using a Mega Rayquaza mechanic to change Meloetta between forms is one way to go about it. Though honestly I'd rather they just gave us a Key Item to change its form, like those Red Shoes we heard it once had, and be done with it. Also, have Relic Song change form along with Meloetta, like Aria Forme has Relic Song which is a Psychic-type Special move that has a chance of Sleep while Pirouette Forme has Relic Dance which is a Fighting-type Physical move that has a chance of Paralysis.
Luvdisc: There's nothing that'll help Luvdisc, not even a Mega Evolution (unless they change Mega Evolution mechanics). Might have potential with a gimmicky exclusive Z-Move. I'm picturing a Z-Move that creates a field effect that any Pokemon sent out becomes infatuated against Pokemon on the opposite side of the field that's the opposite gender. To really mess with the opponent, give Luvdisc a Signature Move that changes its gender to the opposite of its target. :P
Castform: Easy one. Just have Castform's Special Attack and Speed double (or even increase by 1.5x) when Forecast activates. Maybe even allow Forecast to summon a weather condition matching a weather summoning move that Castform knows (or make that into its own Hidden Ability).
Maractus: I'd say give it a Mega Evolution that makes it slow but very powerful and an Ability which makes it immune to Sandstorm like Sand Veil (mainly because how did this species survive being a pure Grass-type in locations always buffed by a sandstorm?). That should give it a niche in Trick Room, Sandstorm teams.
Farfetch'd: The problem with Farfetch'd is that it's suppose to be a bad Pokemon as a joke. Giving an evolution or even Mega Evolution would kind of go against that. That does leave a Signature Z-Move though. To go with it being a joke, how about it Z-Move has it cook a stew that fully heals itself and its ally while Badly Poisoning and Confusing the opponent's Pokemon. Don't know what the activation move would be, maybe have a way for Farfetch'd to learn Softboiled? As for the Stick item, how about instead of always hitting a Critical Hit it only does so with items with an increased Critical Hit ration (Slash, Night Slash, Sky Attack, Leaf Blade). And better Hidden Ability, how about Super Luck. ;)
Sudowoodo: Think a Mega Evolution would do, also give it No Guard.
Silvally: Eh, I think Multi-Attack is fine as is. The Memories though have potential. Being a disc, maybe they can affect Silvally in a way like have the RKS System act like another Ability which matches the type of the Memory.
Dunsparce: Yeah, give it a Mega Evolution. Make it part or pure Dragon-type.
Articuno: They're not about to redo a Pokemon's entire stat spread, and if they did Articuno would not be up first. I think if any were up first it would be the Eeveelutions...
Nerf Stealth Rock: I think capping the max amount of damage it does at 1/4th would suffice. Also make it break when it activates on a Rock or Steel-type.
Unown: Now I've had my fair share of ideas on how to improve Unown, though with Wishiwashi that does open up a new opportunities. Question is how would a Schooling Unown be different from Wishiwashi? And would it make be worth doing another idea?
Sunflora: Uhh, maybe a Mega Evolution if distributed right and gets to be part Fire-type? That said, I do want to mention here I always thought some of the Abilities which require sunny weather (Solar Power, Chlorophyll, Leaf Guard, & Flower Gift) should give the user a resistance to Fire-type moves just so Grass-types with those Abilities aren't making one of their weaknesses stronger.
Entei & Flareon: These two are very similar so they might as well get the same suggested moves. Extreme Speed, Wild Charge, and Outrage I can see. Not sure about Iron Head. And no to Head Smash as I don't think they have the proper biology (which is also why it wouldn't get the Ability Rock Head. Sheer Force still a possibility).
Solrock & Lunatone: THEY'RE A SUN AND A MOON! HOW DO THEY NOT LEARN MORNING SUN AND MOONLIGHT?!
Hypno: Hypno is gonna need more than bulk and Recover to it viable though I guess it doesn't hurt. As for Inner Focus, maybe it's not it needs replacing but being made better?
Swalot: More defense and a recovery move never hurts, though don't think much can help Swalot, not even a Mega Evolution.
Fearow: Odd, no reason it shouldn't had a secondary Ability. Eh, give it Gale Wings.
Chansey family: Odd again, the move seems to be tailor made for the Chansey family. Also Blissey needs a Mega Evolution so it could at the very least compete with its pre-evolution.
Seviper & Zangoose: Two other Pokemon that could get creative Mega Evolutions. I can see Seviper turning into a dragon and Zangoose into an steel clad knight.
Carnivine: I'm not really sure what can be done for Carnivine outside of a creative Mega Evolution.
Regigigas: Decreasing to 3 turns and it getting a temporary defense boost could work. One idea I had was the counter also decreasing for every attack it took and once Slow Start worn off it would be cured of all Status ailments and stats reset. Only Hidden Ability I could see it getting would be Truant, MAYBE Stall. As for preventing Slow Start from activating again, the problem there is the way the game currently is that can't be prevented. Only way I can see them getting around Slow Start restarting after wearing off is if they gave Regigigas two formes: Inactive Forme and Active Forme. Inactive Forme would be how Regigigas starts out, having Slow Start as its Ability (it'll looks just as it does now but the colored gems on its body would be black). When Slow Start wears off, it'll change into Active Forme getting a different Ability (maybe Clear Body like the rest of the Golem Trio) and appearance will look normal (aka the gems get their color back). Will still have the same stats, this is just to stop Slow Start from re-activating.
Phione: Tail Glow would be nice though not much can stop it from being a cheap Manaphy. Infact I thought as a funny idea it could have a Signature Z-Move where it turns into a Phione-colored Manaphy.
Unfezant: Poor Unfezant, if it came a generation later they may have done something fun with it. It's sort of asking to have different stats depending on the gender, males probably being more physical built while females faster. Honestly they look like Pokemon who could have a strange movepool, like a batch of elemental moves. Could be just me.
Turtonator: Why doesn't it get Aftermath or Flame Body as an Ability? I don't think it's that concerned with coverage, probably would like more utility, like Rapid Spin. Could probably get Morning Sun as a healing move. I think what Turtonator needs is a reason the opponent wants to trigger Shell Trap/take out Turtonator first. Like if your opponent doesn't attack Turtonator on the turn it set up, next turn it'll attack with a 100 Power move and if its a Double Battle it'll hit both opponents.
Ultra Beasts: I'm surprised none of the Ultra Beasts have a Signature Move, closest is Buzzwole and Pheromosa having Lunge. Another thing I was expecting was for the Ultra Beasts to all share a Signature Z-Move, Ultrium-Z, using the Ultra Wormholes they dart in and out of wormholes and attack all around you.
Black Kyurem: Ice Fang, Ice Hammer, Ice Punch, Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear, Come on GF! And Glaciate should at least be 90 Power and have a chance to freeze.
Plusle & Minun: Honestly the only thing I think they could do with Plusle & Minun would be with Plus and Minus. Find a way to buff the Abilities though not in the way it'll make other Pokemon who can get the Abilities be over powered thus no reason not to use Plusle & Minun. Also giving them a Signature Move may not hurt (maybe even a shared Z-Move? I don't think a Mega Evolution would help).
Darmanitan: There does need to be a way to use Zen Mode Darmanitan from the start (and remain that way for the rest of the battle), maybe a held item?
Ultra Dialga/Palkia/Giartina/Arceus: And this all reminds me, what do they plan on doing with the Creation Trio + Arceus? Give them Mega Forms? Give them Signature Z-Moves? Both? What about Giratina who has two formes with different stat distributions?

Sorry for double posting, but wanted to respond to this post a while back:

Now since a lot of this sounds like wishlisting, I'm going to put this into a spoiler tag.

More Ice-types Early/Mid Game (Sinnoh Issue): Mt. Coronet would be a good place to stash a few early Ice-types like Snorunt, Bergmite, Swinub, and Sneasel.
More Fire-types In General (Sinnoh Issue): YES. I get it, Sinnoh is a cold region, but can't throw in a Fire-type in the greener locations or the mines (Oreburgh City has a COAL mine! How is there no Fire-types)?
Tropical Island/Alolan Variant/Island Guardians Locations: Eh... well, first off, let's keep in mind Sinnoh Remakes won't happen at least until Gen VIII is out on the Switch. So, much like with the Gen VI Pokemon, when they do the "Legendary Hunt" for Gen VIII they'll include the Gen VII Legendary. However, I'm skeptical if they'll create their own location just for them. Whatever they do for the other Legendary Pokemon I imagine they'll also do for the Island Guardians. As for Alolan Pokemon, ugh, well for Sinnoh there's an easy roundabout for that: Backlot's Trophy Garden (the Alolan Variant evolutions are a bit more tricky, maybe use the Strange Souvenir like have the Pokemon be holding it when it evolves).
Unlockable Permanent Experience/Catch Rate Increase: That's still not going to help if there's no good grinding spots. We really need a White Treehollow/Black Tower location (which have trainers who use Blissey) to really have a place we can grind. Also the limit to use Hyper Training should be decreased to Level 50 or just something you can do once you become Champion.
Eevee Available Early/Mid Game: Sure, some games have already done that too. Though the next issue needs addressing concerning Eeveelutions.
Location Based Evolutions Available Early/Mid Game: The Moss and Ice Rock shouldn't be hard to find an early location for, for Sinnoh specifically the Ice Rock is only a problem and, as I said with the Ice-type Pokemon, just place it somewhere in Mt. Coronet. However we can't forget the other locations. There's four we need to include: Moss Rock, Ice Rock, Magnetic Field, & High Location. Sinnoh only needs the last one and, once again, top of Mt. Coronet would be that location.
In-Game Trades With Trade Evolution Pokemon: Would be nice but won't happen, at least not without the Pokemon holding an Everstone.
Mesprit & Cresselia Don't Roam (Sinnoh Issue): Agree, though would like them to do something extra with them. For Mesprit maybe do what they did with the Winged Mirages in XY and have you chase them until following them to their nest. For Cresselia how about a side quest where several children around Sinnoh are afflicted by Darkrai and you need to cure all of them before Cresselia would battle you (you could also make this a requirement to use the Member Card, build up a story).
Giratina & Episode Platinum (Sinnoh Issue): Would be a shame to not to have the Distortion World in the game. Maybe at the climax of the main game story, they can have Giratina appear and snatch away Cyrus. Then we can have an "Episode Platinum" where, instead of Charon and the remainder of Team Galactic are trying to catch a Heatran, instead they're trying to figure out what took Cyrus and where he is. That'll lead into the Distortion World and we'll have the final encounter with Cyrus there plus get to catch Giratina, Cyrus than deciding to remain in the Distortion World and vanishing into the void.
Title Defense: Ooh, that'll be fun! For Sinnoh we have the Stat Trainers too to fill out the potential challenger roster. I can also see Saturn being a potential challenger, being he sort of tries to create a new Team Galactic after Cyrus vanishes. Hmm, who else. Maybe Cynthia's little sister? Also, I highly doubt Dawn/Lucas will use the other version Legendary on their team.
Entei & Flareon: These two are very similar so they might as well get the same suggested moves. Extreme Speed, Wild Charge, and Outrage I can see. Not sure about Iron Head. And no to Head Smash as I don't think they have the proper biology (which is also why it wouldn't get the Ability Rock Head. Sheer Force still a possibility).
Chansey family: Odd again, the move seems to be tailor made for the Chansey family. Also Blissey needs a Mega Evolution so it could at the very least compete with its pre-evolution.
Regigigas: Decreasing to 3 turns and it getting a temporary defense boost could work. One idea I had was the counter also decreasing for every attack it took and once Slow Start worn off it would be cured of all Status ailments and stats reset. Only Hidden Ability I could see it getting would be Truant, MAYBE Stall. As for preventing Slow Start from activating again, the problem there is the way the game currently is that can't be prevented. Only way I can see them getting around Slow Start restarting after wearing off is if they gave Regigigas two formes: Inactive Forme and Active Forme. Inactive Forme would be how Regigigas starts out, having Slow Start as its Ability (it'll looks just as it does now but the colored gems on its body would be black). When Slow Start wears off, it'll change into Active Forme getting a different Ability (maybe Clear Body like the rest of the Golem Trio) and appearance will look normal (aka the gems get their color back). Will still have the same stats, this is just to stop Slow Start from re-activating.
Phione: Tail Glow would be nice though not much can stop it from being a cheap Manaphy. Infact I thought as a funny idea it could have a Signature Z-Move where it turns into a Phione-colored Manaphy.
There are a few things I wanted to clearify or add specificly to those points
Sinnoh is a cold region: This is one of the things that annoyed me in Gen 4. It is a cold region which kinda excuses less Fire-Types, but not the lack of Ice-Types early game. Especially in Platinum. I liked the ideas you brought up in which they could put some Fire Types. Maybe they could add NPC's into the game that use fire to craft staff and an overpopulation of Fire Types in those areas can be found that were exported or something. Or there are competitive breeders who try to get a shiny Slugma or something and released countless of their breeds into the wilderness. :P
Eevee and evolution: I think they could implement something similar to Pokemon XD when it comes to Eevee. an NPC that once uses a trick or item to evolve your Eevee into a desired form.
Tropical islands etc: This was made with GF probably not releasing remakes before a Gen 8 game. They will likely do another issue I dislike, which is just adding new gen legis perhaps one or two trios while putting all the rest into one game. Not to mention, taking away the tutor moves like the Elemental Punches, Stealth Rock etc away from the player so competitive ones have to purchase the next one. This annoys me so much and it is sad that I don't see most of the community having a problem with.
Unlockables features: Not only catchrate and experience. I only put those as two of countless examples that you receive from O-Powers or the Rotom-Dex. It is time consuming to keep clicking using those features. It is not challenging since you can just grind for those. Higher hatchrate is especially for breeders something. Obviously not a permanent encounterment removal or increase.
In-Game Trades Evolution: Like with the issue I mentioned with Mythical Pokemon, there are just too many trade evolution in the game. Some require certain conditions and such. I think, while it might not happen, it would be in GF's interest to make some of those more accessable. Sure, you can catch wild Steelix, but especially when it comes to Magmortar, he needs a specific item in addition and is quiet rare because Fire Type. I think adding 2 or 3 would be fine. They would probably not have a nickname you like or egg-moves you desire. But a small ease for completing the Pokedex would be nice nontheless.
Roaming Pokemon: as long as it isn't as annoying as in XY. I mean encountering the bird 20 times before going to an island?
Giratina: I didn't expand on that idea much since I wanted to give GF some freedom in the story. But personally I think it would be better if GF merged the story of DP and Platinum to the point that Cyrus tries to get both Dialga and Palkia, Giratina arrives freeing the Dragons and kidnaps Cyrus into the Distortion World, Dialga and Palkia lose control and lastly you and your semi-rival could fight those Dragons with you being able to catch your title legi and like in the title rematch hinted, your rival gets the opposite one. Post-Game you could try stoping the awakened Giratina in a Looker Mission to arrest Cyrus and the rest of Team Galactic that try to get their hands on Heatran and such.
Title defense: They could do a lot more with that. I initially wanted to include the admins but it would feel weird Looker for hunting them, yet, they casually challenge you for the title of the champ.
Entei, Chansey-Line, Solrock, Hypno, Lunatone: The pokemon get some event-exclusive moves that are either standard in competitive play or just useful. It feels weird that Chansey can't learn Wish and you have to use a specific Entei if you want Espeed and Flare Blitz on it. another thing about events that annoy me as a cardridge player. Not to mention, Victini still can't learn V-Create per lv-up.
Regigigas: I thought they could make Slow Start work similar to sleep turns. When you switch out, sleep turns don't reset unless you play Generation 5. For Regigigas, it would be neat. But no matter what route GF goes, Slow Start needs to be brought down to 3 turns IMO.
Phione: My problem with Phione is, it is a Manaphy with everything good about it taken away from it. I don't expect it to become just as viable or nearly as much, but Phione is terrible. It doesn't even learn the Baby-Pokemon "signature" attack Nasty Plot. I just think it should be a bit more useful than it is right now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
There are a few things I wanted to clearify or add specificly to those points
Sinnoh is a cold region: This is one of the things that annoyed me in Gen 4. It is a cold region which kinda excuses less Fire-Types, but not the lack of Ice-Types early game. Especially in Platinum. I liked the ideas you brought up in which they could put some Fire Types. Maybe they could add NPC's into the game that use fire to craft staff and an overpopulation of Fire Types in those areas can be found that were exported or something. Or there are competitive breeders who try to get a shiny Slugma or something and released countless of their breeds into the wilderness. :P
Eevee and evolution: I think they could implement something similar to Pokemon XD when it comes to Eevee. an NPC that once uses a trick or item to evolve your Eevee into a desired form.
Tropical islands etc: This was made with GF probably not releasing remakes before a Gen 8 game. They will likely do another issue I dislike, which is just adding new gen legis perhaps one or two trios while putting all the rest into one game. Not to mention, taking away the tutor moves like the Elemental Punches, Stealth Rock etc away from the player so competitive ones have to purchase the next one. This annoys me so much and it is sad that I don't see most of the community having a problem with.
Unlockables features: Not only catchrate and experience. I only put those as two of countless examples that you receive from O-Powers or the Rotom-Dex. It is time consuming to keep clicking using those features. It is not challenging since you can just grind for those. Higher hatchrate is especially for breeders something. Obviously not a permanent encounterment removal or increase.
In-Game Trades Evolution: Like with the issue I mentioned with Mythical Pokemon, there are just too many trade evolution in the game. Some require certain conditions and such. I think, while it might not happen, it would be in GF's interest to make some of those more accessable. Sure, you can catch wild Steelix, but especially when it comes to Magmortar, he needs a specific item in addition and is quiet rare because Fire Type. I think adding 2 or 3 would be fine. They would probably not have a nickname you like or egg-moves you desire. But a small ease for completing the Pokedex would be nice nontheless.
Roaming Pokemon: as long as it isn't as annoying as in XY. I mean encountering the bird 20 times before going to an island?
Giratina: I didn't expand on that idea much since I wanted to give GF some freedom in the story. But personally I think it would be better if GF merged the story of DP and Platinum to the point that Cyrus tries to get both Dialga and Palkia, Giratina arrives freeing the Dragons and kidnaps Cyrus into the Distortion World, Dialga and Palkia lose control and lastly you and your semi-rival could fight those Dragons with you being able to catch your title legi and like in the title rematch hinted, your rival gets the opposite one. Post-Game you could try stoping the awakened Giratina in a Looker Mission to arrest Cyrus and the rest of Team Galactic that try to get their hands on Heatran and such.
Title defense: They could do a lot more with that. I initially wanted to include the admins but it would feel weird Looker for hunting them, yet, they casually challenge you for the title of the champ.
Entei, Chansey-Line, Solrock, Hypno, Lunatone: The pokemon get some event-exclusive moves that are either standard in competitive play or just useful. It feels weird that Chansey can't learn Wish and you have to use a specific Entei if you want Espeed and Flare Blitz on it. another thing about events that annoy me as a cardridge player. Not to mention, Victini still can't learn V-Create per lv-up.
Regigigas: I thought they could make Slow Start work similar to sleep turns. When you switch out, sleep turns don't reset unless you play Generation 5. For Regigigas, it would be neat. But no matter what route GF goes, Slow Start needs to be brought down to 3 turns IMO.
Phione: My problem with Phione is, it is a Manaphy with everything good about it taken away from it. I don't expect it to become just as viable or nearly as much, but Phione is terrible. It doesn't even learn the Baby-Pokemon "signature" attack Nasty Plot. I just think it should be a bit more useful than it is right now.
More Fire: If we used the excuse there's a certain Pokemon in an area because a trainer went breed crazy than ALL Pokemon would be obtainable in the game. :P Oreburgh Mine would be a good location for Magby and Torkoal, though you can throw Vulpix, Growlithe, Numel, and Hondour on random field routes and no one would complain.
Eeveelution: Only reason they had the Sun and Moon Shard in XD was because the game didn't have time cycles and wanted to give the player the equal opportunity to evolve their Eevee Starter to Espeon or Umbreon at the same time as the Gen I Eeveelutions. However main games they don't change evolution methods unless absolutely necessary (I can only recall them doing this with Feebas as Gen V didn't have Pokemon Contests) and Eevee is just a normal Pokemon.
Legendary Hunt: Don't like the Legendary Hunt? Yeah, I also have a bit of a problem with them doing it again. Made sense when they did it for ORAS as they introduced the origin marking system (which, if I'm reading things right, they might not have fully thought through). But I would prefer they spread out the Legendaries throughout the generation than having one big hunt in one game. Also there's the option of giving them out via events (would like to see more events like the Eon Ticket, an item you can transfer to another game to unlock the event in that game).
Last Gen Tutors: I do think, for the first paired games, they should have all the tutors from the previous gen and then for the 3rd version/second pair/remakes give them the updated move tutors.
Unlockable Power: So more sounds like you want the (post game) option to just turn on O-Powers and have them in effect as long as you have them on. I can see something like that, though they'd have to add limits to it. Would go into details but getting into wishlist territory there.
Trade Evolution: I see your point and I agree, though maybe have some additional requirements where it can be done in-game but if you have a friend it can be done much quicker. Maybe having the trade trainer request the same Pokemon but it has to be holding the trade item and be at a certain level.
Roam Chase: XY's chase was ridiculous. I think maybe a better way of doing it would be, once you encounter it, it'll then follow the route that's the shortest way back to its nest/lair. You need to be fast or else it'll start roaming again, but if you're starting to chase it then that shouldn't be an issue. Though, now thinking about it and what I said for Cresselia, I'm actually thinking I would prefer a puzzle/side quest.
Giratina/Platinum: Interesting idea, though I more imagine it would be Barry who would catch the other dragon (NPC Dawn/Lucas aren't trainers on the same level as you or Barry, they more prefer to be the Professor's assistant) and I doubt that even. I don't think they're going to show the other version's dragon in order to try and keep the illusion that there was totally a reason to have two different versions (even though they already proved that wrong since Platinum exists). Actually, that would be interesting to see them do. Instead of paired remakes they release a Platinum remake... course they're not because with two versions they can make twice the money...
Galactic Commanders: Only Mars and Jupiter are on the run (or more hiding since without Cyrus they essentially quit), Saturn returned to the Galactic HQ and is working on reforming Team Galactic to do what they said they were doing: finding new energy sources. So I can see him being a Title Defense challenger. Though that reminds me that I hope they expand on the commanders like they did with the Aqau and Magma admins. Why did Saturn stay behind and reforming Team Galactic to do their public said goals? What was Mars and Jupiter's reason for joining?
Event Moves: Ah, I see. Yeah, would be nice for Pokemon who had useful Event moves to just have them part of their level-up or Egg moves. I still have no idea why V-Create isn't learnable from the move tutor who also teaches Sacred Sword and Relic Song (or why GF, when giving out Victini again, gave out the one which didn't have V-Create!?).

More Fire: If we used the excuse there's a certain Pokemon in an area because a trainer went breed crazy than ALL Pokemon would be obtainable in the game. :P Oreburgh Mine would be a good location for Magby and Torkoal, though you can throw Vulpix, Growlithe, Numel, and Hondour on random field routes and no one would complain.
Eeveelution: Only reason they had the Sun and Moon Shard in XD was because the game didn't have time cycles and wanted to give the player the equal opportunity to evolve their Eevee Starter to Espeon or Umbreon at the same time as the Gen I Eeveelutions. However main games they don't change evolution methods unless absolutely necessary (I can only recall them doing this with Feebas as Gen V didn't have Pokemon Contests) and Eevee is just a normal Pokemon.
Legendary Hunt: Don't like the Legendary Hunt? Yeah, I also have a bit of a problem with them doing it again. Made sense when they did it for ORAS as they introduced the origin marking system (which, if I'm reading things right, they might not have fully thought through). But I would prefer they spread out the Legendaries throughout the generation than having one big hunt in one game. Also there's the option of giving them out via events (would like to see more events like the Eon Ticket, an item you can transfer to another game to unlock the event in that game).
Last Gen Tutors: I do think, for the first paired games, they should have all the tutors from the previous gen and then for the 3rd version/second pair/remakes give them the updated move tutors.
Unlockable Power: So more sounds like you want the (post game) option to just turn on O-Powers and have them in effect as long as you have them on. I can see something like that, though they'd have to add limits to it. Would go into details but getting into wishlist territory there.
Trade Evolution: I see your point and I agree, though maybe have some additional requirements where it can be done in-game but if you have a friend it can be done much quicker. Maybe having the trade trainer request the same Pokemon but it has to be holding the trade item and be at a certain level.
Roam Chase: XY's chase was ridiculous. I think maybe a better way of doing it would be, once you encounter it, it'll then follow the route that's the shortest way back to its nest/lair. You need to be fast or else it'll start roaming again, but if you're starting to chase it then that shouldn't be an issue. Though, now thinking about it and what I said for Cresselia, I'm actually thinking I would prefer a puzzle/side quest.
Giratina/Platinum: Interesting idea, though I more imagine it would be Barry who would catch the other dragon (NPC Dawn/Lucas aren't trainers on the same level as you or Barry, they more prefer to be the Professor's assistant) and I doubt that even. I don't think they're going to show the other version's dragon in order to try and keep the illusion that there was totally a reason to have two different versions (even though they already proved that wrong since Platinum exists). Actually, that would be interesting to see them do. Instead of paired remakes they release a Platinum remake... course they're not because with two versions they can make twice the money...
Galactic Commanders: Only Mars and Jupiter are on the run (or more hiding since without Cyrus they essentially quit), Saturn returned to the Galactic HQ and is working on reforming Team Galactic to do what they said they were doing: finding new energy sources. So I can see him being a Title Defense challenger. Though that reminds me that I hope they expand on the commanders like they did with the Aqau and Magma admins. Why did Saturn stay behind and reforming Team Galactic to do their public said goals? What was Mars and Jupiter's reason for joining?
Event Moves: Ah, I see. Yeah, would be nice for Pokemon who had useful Event moves to just have them part of their level-up or Egg moves. I still have no idea why V-Create isn't learnable from the move tutor who also teaches Sacred Sword and Relic Song (or why GF, when giving out Victini again, gave out the one which didn't have V-Create!?).
Because those were supposed to harken back to their original distributions? (albeit all at level 100) I'm still confused as to why Dragon Ascent has a separate tutor in gen 7 and not just lumped in with the Secret Sword and Relic Song tutor.

I really don't want to see roaming legendary Pokemon return. The fact OR/AS gives the player their version exclusive Lati@s may be an indication that Game Freak isn't inclined to make roaming legendary Pokemon a thing again even in remakes that had one or two.

Anyway, a minor thing that annoys me is the fact Roto Catch has to be activated in battle. You can't choose to use it beforehand in preparation for something with a low catch rate, like, say, Beldum.

It's still strange that some event Pokemon need to have their signature moves taught through Move Tutors. It's not like these tutors have literally any other purpose beyond that. Why not adding them to the Pokemon's level-up movepool, then?

I mean, there have been a few examples of Pokemon gaining new means to learn often-used moves on them that would be difficult to get otherwise (e.g. Seismic Toss on Chansey, otherwise a Gen III-move, or now Extreme Speed no longer being event-only on Zigzagoon) so they could fix a few more things.

V-Create being available to only some Victini is really weird, though. But then again, Rayquaza gaining it is weird as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 3)