LGBT in Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Quoting Scyther NO Swiping

While I love the idea of a LGBT room, I don't think it would work. There is really no way it could be public, it would be troll central. Even if mods were harsh on modding it, it would get to the point it would be near impossible to have a conversation without getting distracted by the constant trolls. Even as a private/hidden room there would still be a ton of issues with trolls, as you would want it to be a room that is known about and open to all, and trolls would take advantage of that. And while most of us would be able to brush off anything a troll said, there are some people who would be there for the intended purpose of the room who would be really bothered by what a troll would say. I know someone started a groupchat a while ago but it died out. While I think a LGBT room is good in theory, I just severely doubt it working in practice.
I'll post more on the subject later, but just putting this here for now

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I share a lot of the same thoughts with Scyther NO Swiping and Kris. If the room was created, I'm sure there would be some people going into the room merely to type "gaaaaay." As such, I think if this room was to be made, I think that we'd have to have pretty strict moderators (ban anyone who comes to the room to troll tbh). At the same time, I think this would be pretty hard because I don't imagine the room would have a large audience, meaning that there wouldn't always be active mods on. Don't get me wrong though, even if there's some obstacles, I still want to see this room implemented. We could potentially start it as a groupchat and go from there.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is probably a silly idea but couldn't you make the room modchat + (so only voices and higher could chat openly) and voice any user that is likely to not be a troll? This wouldn't stop people from trolling via PMs I suppose.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is probably a silly idea but couldn't you make the room modchat + (so only voices and higher could chat openly) and voice any user that is likely to not be a troll? This wouldn't stop people from trolling via PMs I suppose.
That is a good idea, but the two major concerns I'd have are that it could discourage newcomers, especially problematic for a new room trying to get on its feet, and that it would need constant moderator/room owner presence if enough people are asking for roomvoice. It does sound smart for non-public rooms looking to increase exposure without having to deal with with constant trolls, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)