Project LC Community Create-a-Team [DONE]

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
approved by macle

(banner by the one and only Bummer)

The Little Cup Community Create-a-Team
With the recent bans and the still recent release of Sun and Moon, the time is right to explore the new metagame in the best way possible: teambuilding! And, of course, who better to teambuild with than the entire LC community? Just like last generation, this project aims to have the community work together to build a competitively viable LC team, one Pokemon at a time. In the first round, people will submit a Pokemon or core which they would like to see a team built around. In subsequent rounds, people will submit Pokemon that complement what is already on the team. At the end of each round, people can vote on what they like the most, and the submission with the most votes will be added to the team. Ideally, this project will allow newcomers to LC to see how more experienced players go about building an team.

Rules
  • Please refrain from posting bad or not viable sets. Innovation is fine, but I reserve the right to exclude sets that just wouldn't work from voting.
  • When posting a Pokemon, post it with a moveset, and a few sentences of description on why you think it fits the team and why you chose the moveset you chose.
  • When voting, you can only select one submission. Explanations of votes are nice but not required.
  • Feel free to discuss other submissions, but please only refute others' sets with solid reasoning (as opposed to "I hate Snivy so I don't want to include it).
The Team:

Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Rattled
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 SpA / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Diglett @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Memento

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Blast

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 116 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up

Pumpkaboo-Super @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 204 HP / 36 Def / 4 SpA / 236 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Round 1 begins right now! In this stage, post a Pokemon or a two-Pokemon core you would like to see the team built around! Remember to include movesets and a short description of why you think the team should be built around this Pokemon or core.

Have fun!

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to try building around Larvesta

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

It functions as a bulky pivot that checks physical attackers thanks to its ability Flame Body. It resists Fighting, making it a great check to the likes of Mienfoo and Timburr. Will-O-Wisp allows it to burn the physical attackers it checks, and Morning Sun gives it nice recovery. Potential teammates are other pivots to form VoltTurn cores with Larvesta, and hazard removers to help with Larvesta's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock.
This Pokemon is not very common but definitely has potential and I'd like to see how actual good players use this Pokemon in a team

Last edited:

Any nickname we want (Doduo) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Knock Off / Return
- Quick Attack

Here's a Doduo set I've had fun with so far. Banded Doduo is a powerful and fast revenge killer. With good Fighting/Flying/Dark coverage, Doduo can dent many teams and it has 18 Speed, which is very good, only being outsped by a handful of mons. With Doduo, we can utilize slow VoltTurner like the Larvesta above to bring it and it's teammates in safely, good hazard control like Staryu, or maybe even try out BirdSpam. Plus, this thing did get a buff in Gen 7, so what would be a better start to Gen 7 CCAT... other than a Gen 7 mon?

With the arrival of Generation VII, Scraggy has become a much larger threat in the LC metagame. Two of its previously biggest threats, Cottonee and Fletchling, are now significantly less problematic for Scraggy thanks to changes in mechanics. Cottonee can no longer use Encore on Scraggy because Prankster doesn't work on Dark-types and Fletchling can't use Gale Wings to outprioritize Scraggy unless it's at full health. This makes Scraggy able to perform its role as a late-game cleaner much more effectively than before and would therefore be a great choice as the team's first Pokemon.

Scraggy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Dance

A standard moveset. Knock Off and High Jump Kick are powerful STAB moves, with Knock Off being useful for weakening threats early in the game to prepare for a sweep later. Poison Jab helps dealing with Fairy-types, specifically OHKOing Cottonee which can no longer use Encore versus Scraggy. Dragon Dance is the setup move that allows Scraggy to act as a late-game cleaner by boosting its Attack and Speed.

Last edited:
Carvanha has been a staple of LC offense since the beginning, boasting extensive offensive stats, but flimsy defenses. So what could be better than sticking Life Orb on it? How about having Speed Boost? But what could be better than Speed Boost? Having a stronger alternative to Zen Headbutt that's also 100% accurate and breaks screens! Ergo...

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpDef / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs / Aqua Jet
- Protect

The gist of this set is to garner enough Speed Boosts safely via Protect, then drink the blood of thine enemies. Waterfall and Crunch are STAB, while Psychic Fangs is for Fighting types; likewise, Aqua Jet is for the same Fighting types that might have Mach Punch. A great mon with a shiny new move: the best excuse for making a team around!

Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Clamperl has always been the most volatile sweeper in Little Cup. While it has the potential to destroy an unprepared team, it has trouble setting up and is threatened by priority users. This makes building with it an interesting prospect. The builder is aware of what must be accomplished: there is a simple goal, there are specific roadblocks to success, and it has very specific criteria to set up. Getting the ball rolling is hard but once it gets rolling it's hard to stop. By aiming to create a team that consistently allows Clamperl to win, we will have both an interesting experiment in building and an opportunity to showcase a less-used Pokemon for the community.

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Psychic

Trick room in LC is a often neglected team archetype through the generations. Porygon being banned was a major hurdle with it being by far the best setter. Is trick room still viable in Gen 7 after this blow? I'd like to find out. Slowpoke was chosen because it was between this and Spritzee for the best setter and i'm not sure what set you would run with a Spritzee.

Conni

katharsis
my idea got sniped by Nineage rip.

Mareanie @ Eviolite
EVs: 116 HP / 180 Def / 12 SpA / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Haze

Mareanie has pretty decent typing and it is very bulky and has access to Regenerator which is actually very good, although if you actually use it in battle, it may not seem as good as it looks. One reason for this is its weakness to the common Diglett, or just trappers in general. Mareanie can be a very good pivot by helping teammates by tanking into moves it can take, but it usually gets trapped either by momentum switchers or expected switch ins. Mareanie can also cause trouble for setup sweepers with Haze, but it is still in risk of being trapped most of the time. an anti trap core with Mareanie would allow it to be effective in battle, but trappers aren't easy to build around, which makes it currently, not as viable as it can be, and if a succesful build allows Mareanie to be free of trappers, it can be a very bulky and useful pivot to the team.

Doduo @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Doduo is much better this generation now that it has Jump Kick to hit Rock- and Steel-type pokemon. Swords Dance and Life Orb let it do lots of damage, while Quick Attack lets it function as an emergency revenge Killer or get off hits versus stronger foes. It does require some support, but it's lots of fun to build around and doesn't need any specific teammates, so there's lots of room for further creativity. This set functions differently than the Choice Band set, which is entirely reliant on hitting opposing walls out from the gate; this is somewhat less prediction reliant and can boost past walls. While Life Orb does mean it's frail, it isn't super revenge prone by any means, especially with a great 18 speed and some priority backing it up.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Salandit @ Life Orb
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 84 Atk / 192 SpA / 220 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ground]

An interesting mon with some potential that I have not seen used a lot. I really feel that this mon can be good with the right team.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Salandit @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ground]

An interesting mon with some potential that I have not seen used a lot. I really feel that this mon can be good with the right team.
competitively viable
nice try.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Salandit's current place in the metagame is an enigma. While the pokemon does not look bad on paper, boasting an impressive 18 speed with interesting STAB coverage in Fire and Poison, the salad lizard leaves much to be desired in practice. It's absolutely poor defensive stats leave it stickied as a frail mon, couple that with a defensive typing that hurts way more than it would ever help. It's special attack stat, while certainly not bad, is not good enough where I would suggest running anything except a Life Orb. Life Orb also limits this sad excuse of a viable pokemon's ability, as it does not assist enough in scoring important kills that this pokemon needs to pick up, but it also hurts it defensively. Corrosion would be an interesting ability on just about any other Poison type in the game, as it can just burn steel types. In addition to that, it as a pokemon is outclassed by things that just do it's job better. Gastly is a fast poison type that hits the same speed tier as Sandal, but is able to run more than one set to an extremely effective degree. In addition to that, Gastly hits significantly harder with a Life Orb and has a more useful ability in Levitate. On the other hand, Ponyta is a fast fire type that, despite it's limited movepool, has more viable sets than Salami. Ponyta's ability to burn things with Flame Body allows it to function as a defensive pivot, giving it more than one role on any given team. While we're on the topic of horses, I'm not even going to get into the dead horse that is it's weakness to trappers, as that is not the only thing that shows that it is unviable.

Overall, I believe that the current meta trends do not favor this pokemon at all, and it would be a poor option to select it as the main thing that we are building around in the Community Create a Team.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aipom @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe
- Fury Swipes
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch / Brick Break maybe?
- Seed Bomb

Aipom, as we all know, is the cutest Pokemon in the entirety of LC. It was one of the premier Wall-breakers last generation, due to its Knock Off + Skill Link Fury Swipes. This generation however, Mudbray has supposedly made Aipom much less viable. However, I think if you have Seed Bomb, Mudbray isn't as much of a problem as people say it is, as you can Knock it Off weaken it, and then Seed Bomb is gonna do a massive chunk later on, and limits Mudbray's switch in opportunities. So I feel Aipom is currently a really underrated wallbreaker, there's not much than can take repeated switch ins, it pairs well with lots of sweepers, and its a suited to building a balanced team, as Aipom needs a defensive backbone to function well, therefore I think it's a great CCAT Pokemon.

Last edited:
Aipom @ Life Orb
- Fury Swipes
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb

Aipom, as we all know, is the cutest Pokemon in the entirety of LC. It was one of the premier Wall-breakers last generation, due to its Knock Off + Skill Link Fury Swipes. This generation however, Mudbray has supposedly made Aipom much less viable. However, I think if you have Seed Bomb, Mudbray is much more of a problem than people say it is, as you can Knock it Off weaken it, and then Seed Bomb is gonna do a massive chunk later on, and limits Mudbray's switch in opportunities. So I feel Aipom is currently a really underrated wallbreaker, there's not much than can take repeated switch ins, it pairs well with lots of sweepers, and its a suited to building a balanced team, as Aipom needs a defensive backbone to function well, therefore I think it's a great CCAT Pokemon.
That reminds me two similar mons...
(btw if we can't post three sets, Carvanha would be the set of my choice)

Meowth-Alola @ Life Orb / Darkinium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Parting Shot
- Fake Out
- Bite
- Feint

The difference between Meowth and A-Meowth is a near-inversion of Atk and SpA stats (which is irrelevant) and some move changes. One of the helpful moves A-Meowth gets is Parting Shot, which is great because it's ideal on a fast user (i.e. not Pancham). Bite may seems like an idiotic choice, but thanks to Technician, it's 10 BP stronger than Crunch! As for the other moves, Feint and Fake Out are both priority moves that are also boosted by Technician. An alternate item would be Darkinium Z, to turn Parting Shot into a pseudo-Healing Wish. Normal Meowth is typically outclassed by the mon whose set I've quoted, but A-Meowth has a leg up over Meowth thanks to Parting Shot. It sure is frail, but it can easily harass opposing Pokemon and get safe switches if correctly supported.

(note: this is taken straight from my post in the Importable Movesets thread, with some tweaks)

Litten @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 Atk / 116 Def / 36 SpDef / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn
- Flare Blitz/Flame Charge
- Fake Out
- Leech Life

Now, I know 99% of you are thinking either "It's a dollar store version of Ponyta" or "It's a Fire type Shinx." Please hear me out! These are the reasons why it's a good pivot:
1. Fake Out to harass in general (unless it's a Mudbray)
2. Intimidate, which deters physical switch-ins (soft counter to someone being cheeky and sending in a Mudbray)
3. Leech Life, buffed, for health recovery and nice coverage
4. U-Turn (so no Volt Absorb for Chinchou, which was a big reason as to why Shinx was unviable)
5. Flame Charge* can allow you to outspeed some trappers
I admit this set has a counters, like Diglett if you're not fast enough, Mudbray, possibly Chinchou if you choose not to U-Turn, and many Scarfed mons. But I think it would be worth trying out.
*if you want to run it

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
Here are this round's submissions:

AD Thunderboy: Larvesta
Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Yoshiblaze: Band Doduo
Any nickname we want (Doduo) (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Knock Off / Return
- Quick Attack

MeButYou82: Scraggy
Scraggy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Dance

Schmedly: Carvanha
Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpDef / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs / Aqua Jet
- Protect

Infamy: Clamperl (didn't Vileman already perfect this one?)
Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

fitzy72: Trick Room Slowpoke
Slowpoke @ Eviolite
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 116 SpA / 116 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Psychic

Conni: Mareanie
Mareanie @ Eviolite
EVs: 116 HP / 180 Def / 12 SpA / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Haze

Quantum Tesseract: Swords Dance Doduo
Doduo @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Sam-testings: Salandit
Salandit @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Rowan: Aipom
Aipom @ Life Orb
- Fury Swipes
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb

Voting has now begun. One vote per person. Do not vote for your own set!

Nineage

Pugnacious.
Hey, from here on out can we vote for a set rather than a person? We are building a team, and submitting a vote for a person makes it seem more like a popularity contest or someth...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)