Ladder Ladder Challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the ladder too easy for you? Come here to play with these handicaps and see how well you can do! Are you bored and single? Here's something fun you can do that doesn't risk an STD! Are you severely depressed? Go see a therapist!

A lot of players highly devalue the ladder, and I get why. It's hard to judge your skill when you run into a hodgepodge of random Pokemon and sets that you'll most definitely never see in tournament play. But the ladder is also your easiest outlet to play games, and utilizing it can keep you from getting rusty. With this in mind and as a lowkey way to encourage our community to get more active on the ladder, I want to do some ladder challenges.

I'm currently planning on doing a new challenge every week with a hall of fame to commemorate the top peak in each challenge. I'd also like an importable of your team and a description of how the team functioned within the constraints of the challenge. Top score each week wins for that week and makes the hof.

Discussion is highly encouraged both in this thread and in the NU room on PS. Talk about what has been working well for you, discuss other people's teams, spitball ideas, etc. As with all of our projects, good posts in this thread can result in a Ladybug or Community Contributor badge!

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Gonna update this post with more but thought I would get it out there since threads like these usually need someone to post in them first so they don't feel awkward.

My account is: Ladder Hammerr

So here is my team

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

So I started with Abomasnow since Blizzard is a stupid move and then added Poliwrath since it likes having the Grass-types removed and it can check Klinklang for Snow. It also makes it so I don't have to stress about checking Barbaracle later which is neat. Regirock was added for speed control, flying check, and actual Fire resist. I added Rotom Frost to give aboma more switchins and it likes hail (note this is my C- mon.) I added Grumpig to check Fighting-types and give another win con. Malamar / Shiftry lure to. Finally I put Kecleon temporarily just as a wallbreakers that could deal with MagaDino for the time being but switched to Vileplume shortly after to give myself a more reliable Primeape check and still have a MegaDino check.

So far I'm really enjoying Aboma + Rotom since Ice spam is threatening and its supported pretty well by my team. Aboma is really good at removing Electric immune Pokemon which let's Rotom Volt Switch more which let's Boma Blizzard more. It's a good trade of events but I'm thinking of trading Trick to Signal Beam since Malamar sucks and I don't run Worry Seed on Vileplume. My only concern is how weak Mach Punch weak this team is and it heavily relies on Grumpig and Vileplume to check them.

Poliwrath is a mixed bag. I really want it to be more offensive but I don't want to trade that longevity. I choose Leftovers since this team has no hazard removal as of yet. But it's pretty decent since Vacuum Wave is pretty handy for situations like against Aurorus.

Grumpig is also pretty cool for pressuring some Pokemon with Calm Mind and it helps me to win CM wars vs MegaDino with Psyshock. I prefer Colbur Berry because of the safety net it can give my team but I do see the merit in Leftovers.

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This seems like a really fun idea indeed n_n I always enjoy playing around with mons that don't really have a presence in NU, and overall bringing back challenges seems like a great idea to improve creativity and team building. Will probs make a team and post it later!

Because they just dropped and are not ranked and because a big part of this week is using stuff outside of common metagame staples, I'm gonna go ahead and say that Gurdurr and Trevenant CAN be used this week.

I've built a couple teams for this challenge and what I've gathered so far on these restrictions is that classic balance and bulky offense builds struggle a bit here. Ask the best Pokemon that fit on these archetypes are in the higher ranks, so trying to check top offensive threats with Pokemon that are not top defensive threats is a bit more difficult. More offensive playstyles seem to work better because even though you might not get the craziest breakers, you still get some good Pokemon that don't need to fill specific defensive niches.

The team I've had the most success with has been a sticky web offense team. Webs have been out of the metagame for a really long time now, but I'm finding them to be surprisingly effective. As long as you have a way to take on stuff like Charizard, Archeops, and Scyther as well as break common defensive cores, you can usually overwhelm opponent ok.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Circle Throw
- Protect
- Encore

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Wave

Regirock @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Counter

Here is the team I used on the ladder! I had this idea of SD Zangoose + Pursuit Skuntank in my teambuilder for a long time, but when this challenge arrived I decided to use Liepard instead since Skunk wasn't allowed. I used a defensive core of Regirock / Poliwrath / Vileplume and backed it up with a fast revengekiller in Electrode. Electrode is easily replacable but it was my C- pick and I never used it before so I wanted to see what it could do. I must say I wasn't impressed really but I needed the speed so I went with it. Liepard is insanely strong and has priority TWave too, which is really nice.

I messed around with this on my main account which was (keyword was) pretty high on the ladder but I made a lot of adjustments to the team which dropped me down a lot, but I'm now back to around 1400 which is OK. I might go ladder on a seperate alt but idk yet.

I think this challenge has kinda shown that as ryan said before, there are a buttload of strong attackers in B+ and below, but they don't really have the defensive elements to them like most of the offensive threats in A and S-rank have, like Jynx soft-checking most Water-types, Pyroar having a chance to switch in freely on Rotom, etc. The wallbreakers in B-rank and below need way more support than the ones above B as shown here; SD Zangoose mostly only works in combination with a Pursuit-trapper, Abomasnow desperately needs SR removed, and so on.
Overall I really like this thread and can't wait to build with more niche and underrated Poemon such as Liepard and Electrode.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Liepard @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Knock Off
- Encore
- U-turn

Mawile @ Damp Rock
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Super Fang
- Baton Pass

Cryogonal @ Never-Melt Ice
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Mantine @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Air Slash
- Signal Beam

Manectric @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunder
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Poliwrath @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
So I was super bad and made a Rain team that filled the criteria. Mantine and Poliwrath are actually pretty dangerous weather sweepers in their own right, with Poliwrath being especially deadly with a Belly Drum under its belt, being able to blow through checks such as Mantine with its raw power. Manectric is running Thunder because why not, I needed something on the team that could also get past Ferroseed. Mawile is an interesting choice for a Rain setter due to its great typing, Intimidate, and a cool movepool that has all the moves it needs to do the job properly. And of course my C- is Cryogonal because this thing really shouldn't be C- and I wanted a spinner so the team didn't auto-die to Toxic Spikes. It also provides a solid Ice resist for Mantine etc and helps maintain offensive pressure due to its Speed.

Solrock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Stone Edge

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sludge Bomb
- Worry Seed

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Altaria @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Power Swap
- Roost

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

This is a balance team based around Zangoose + Offensive Altaria. Rotom-Fan is one of the only viable B+ or lower Scyther check, while Vileplume is a pretty amazing Fighting check and Knock Off absorber. Solrock gives Ground immunity and looked cool overall. Miltank is a nice cleric support and gives the team a check to Lilligant and stuff. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)