SM OU Kyurem+Kartana VoltTurn HO

First of all, I’d like to say that this is my first RMT. I have read through all the rules and such, so I’m fairly confident that I’ve structured a good one.

Team Preview

Meet And Greet

Kyurem-Black@Life Orb
Teravolt
252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe/4 Atk
Naive Nature
Moves: Earth Power
Roost
Fusion Bolt
Ice Beam
Explanation:After looking at the latest viability ranking, I realized Kyurem B threatened all of the S-Rank and some of the rest. The set is quite standard, with Earth Power beating out Hidden Power Fire for hitting electric types and hitting steel types way harder. It(in conjunction with teravolt) killed an unsuspecting Rotom Wash that was switched in expecting a fusion bolt. On this team, Kyurem’s main purpose is to destroy certain powerful Pokémon, Toxapex comes to mind, along with serving as a threatening force in the back. It serves to destroy threats to our team, like dragons, and ground types. It also forces Landorus-Therian right out unless it’s a different set than the usual threat. It also just provides great damage even on neutral hits, and can severely hinder certain Pokémon. Even though it can’t OHKO Toxapex with the given spread, it can chunk it forcing a switch lest it get KO’ed. The naive nature lets it outspeed other Kyurem’s most importantly. Not much more to say about it, it’s the second electric type but as they are so different it doesn’t actually matter.

84913D40-71D2-4506-AABD-4E77AC02C3E9.png
Kartana@Steelium Z
Beast Boost
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def Jolly Nature
Smart Strike
Leaf Blade
Sacred Sword
Swords Dance

Explanation: Kartana is usually used with either a band or a scarf so this set is quite unusual. I chose it for its set up Power, and it’s the only set up sweeper around. Again, the spreads and moves are self explanatory. Jolly so I can outspeed other Kartana. I chose smart strike+steelium over the giga impact+normalium that is normally used because I needed to kill fairies and because after the z move, giga impact is a dead slot, where as smart strike can continue to be used. Kartana’s role is to be the set up sweeper. I originally tried the banded version, but I had to use so many moves with it that I prefer the ability to choose moves, and anyway the beast boost buffs up the already massive attack very well. Kartana does very well against the rain teams, and is especially scary to swampert and seismitoad where it is guaranteed to pick up a KO. The defense investment actually allowed me to live an ice punch from a a mega swampert, so it is very essential.

BAA32E2E-344C-4395-92DE-5DCED964C269.png
Charizard@Charizardite Y
Drought
252 Sp Atk/252 Spe/4 Def Timid Nature
Solar Beam
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Roost

Explanation: Charizard Y is probably one of the most useful Pokémon on this team. I didn’t go for the X variant as I A) Needed Solar Beam+Drought and B)Already had a physical sweeper. Charizard Y’s Drought can throughly neuter rain teams and gives it free 120 base power move. Any Pokémon that switches in is facing a nuke in the form of solar beam. The set is your normal Zard Y set, timid nature for other zard’s, including the x variant, who is one of the things that this Pokémon can’t hit for supereffective. Focus Blast works wonders against Heatran and Chansey. Roost can heal off damage and the grounding can occasionally be helpful, and occasionally not. On the team, it serves to clean up late game, threaten opponents with a flamethrower or solar beam, and surprise Heatran’s expecting to take a flamethrower. It also can, as I said, help against rain teams, which I’ve seen quite a few of. Of course, I have to be careful on the switch, but otherwise, it will shred them. As a last resort, I use it to sack off, hoping that if I get lucky(they miss, they predicted wrong etc), I can come back with it, and if I don’t, then I can use its death to switch in a free mon.

949535A7-4597-4435-B14F-C27210B993C3.png
Greninja-Ash@Choice Specs
Battle Bond
252 Sp Atk/252 Spe/4 Def Timid Nature
Water Shuriken
Surf
Dark Pulse
Extrasensory
Explanation: This Greninja defines what my whole team is aiming to be. Minimal Def(because where else do we put it), buffing up one attack stat, 4 moves to destroy. Greninja is a fantastic late game cleaner, and can punish rain teams by throwing out a boosted surf. While you might think it is counterintuitive to have drought on Charizard and surf on my Greninja, it’s actually not, because if I can’t use surf at full power neither can my opponent, but I have other moves and my opponent does not. Dark pulse does great damage against Tapu Lele, and water shuriken lets it function as an effective revenge killer without the scarf. Extrasensory was chosen over spikes, so I could hit fighting and poison types harder. This team doesn’t rely on hazards, and setting them would be a waste as I would have to defog away my opponents and then they would be gone. It serves as powerful special wallbreaker. Few Pokémon want to switch in on this. The ash variant was chosen over the protean one so that I could get the speed and Sp. Atk boost. Surf over hydro pump for accuracy reasons, as missing one can be the end of the whole team. It both cleans up late game and also punches holes early on. It can do it all, and does it very well.

2081FB3D-EF0C-4E2D-BFEA-13C1F5E12A87.png
Tapu Koko@Choice Specs
Electric Surge
252 Sp Atk/252 Spe/4 HP Timid/Modest
Roost
ThunderBolt
Volt Switch
Dazzling Gleam

Explanation: I have almost never found a Pokémon set that is fun to use. Tapu Koko is the exception. This set is far from standard, and yet it somehow works. A lot of the time, people will either not realize what it is, or they will but then it’s too late. I’ve knocked out 4 Pokémon with this beast alone. It takes people by surprise and for something so unusual, it actually does its job well. With specs, its damage is massive, and with terrain, both it and kyurem benefit, which is an other reason why I chose it. This thing is always my lead. It can tackle set up sweepers, volt switch out, or just thunderbolt anything it wants to. It’s also really fast, which is why you can use specs. The 4 HP allows it to tank an extra hit or two. Volt switch is very important for this type of team, and with specs, it’s not just an annoying bit of chip damage but it’s a ferocious move that can KO Pokémon then send in another threat, placing momentum firmly in my hands. I’m a little split over the nature. On one hand, maximizing speed is pretty important, but on the other, a little Sp.Atk boost never hurt and could help a little. Vs. Specially defensive Toxapex, modest guarantees the KO, while timid gives you a 90% chance. Koko, like Greninja, is used to punch holes early on or clean up later. Unlike Greninja, which usually does the latter, I utilize Koko mostly for the former.

0AC007BE-460F-43BD-99A6-AC801553C047.png
Landorus-Therian@Chocie Scarf
Intimidate
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Sp Atk Naive nature(not finalized spread)
Earthquake
Hidden Power Ice
Defog
U-Turn

Explanation: A revenge killing, set up ending, defogger is what this team needed. What better than Landorus? Defog is mandatory, as none of these Pokémon have any defensive capability and Charizard and kyurem despise rocks on. A choice scarf landorus was my choice. For one, the choice scarf, while not unheard of, is quite rare and from an outward view, not seeming to fit on this team, so people usually look at it as a normal one, until it outspeeds all their Pokémon and destroys them with EQ. For another, any attempt at hazard will be quickly shut down. The same for set up, especially physical, intimidate+ choice scarf can finish off most others, including Zard X, as the dragon dance becomes useless with the attack lowering. I’m not sure about the EV’s. It seems that I need more to hit harder with HP ice without sacrificing EQ damage. It can stop opposing lando’s, and is amazing at revenge killing. Sometimes I’ll willingly sack a useless Pokémon just to revenge kill one of their threats. U-turn can be used to finish off weak Pokémon, and works in the same vein as Koko. All in all, this is a fantastic revenge killer, and defogger.

So that’s the team. Ideas and suggestions are welcome, particularly where I’m not sure of something. Yes I realize that I have neither hazards nor status excluding the small chances on certain moves. It’s designed that way. It’s like that on purpose. A threat list would also be nice. Below are the paste and some selected replays.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)