Online Competition Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble

Note to self: In the next competition, don't bring a team of 4 setup sweepers, Banded Scizor, and Specs Charizard.
I thought you said we're trying a joke team.

Anyway, here are some of the Battle Videos I had against high rated players: Highest Player: BBPG-WWWW-WWW6-82LX Magnezone Mirror Matchup: AMFW-WWWW-WWW6-8215 Moltres the MVP: GCZG-WWWW-WWW6-82LE

Important notes: Add toxic on Porygon2
LO Chomp> Choice Primarina
Never bring Primarina and Moltres together against a team that has electric types.

I can't post the team because of ongoing maintenance. Will post later.

On the bright side, got to use Moltres!

I wasn't able to use any of my stockpiled Kantoese shinies, and so after going into my minimum number of battles with only one Pokémon that was actually raised for battle (a Clefable), and what I raised during my play through, I quit.

Though I really only played 1 match, which I got unlucky with my Clefable being critted at +2 Cosmic Power. The other two times, my someone's internet was acting up. But it seems to have counted them, so I should still get my stones, which is all I want.

Though now I'm concerned that I can't seem to unlock my Pokémon, even though the competition is over.

I wasn't able to use any of my stockpiled Kantoese shinies, and so after going into my minimum number of battles with only one Pokémon that was actually raised for battle (a Clefable), and what I raised during my play through, I quit.

Though I really only played 1 match, which I got unlucky with my Clefable being critted at +2 Cosmic Power. The other two times, my someone's internet was acting up. But it seems to have counted them, so I should still get my stones, which is all I want.

Though now I'm concerned that I can't seem to unlock my Pokémon, even though the competition is over.
Did you go back to the competition screen on Battlespot? It should unlock automatically.

Did you go back to the competition screen on Battlespot? It should unlock automatically.
I couldn't yesterday, due to maintenance. Hopefully, they're done fixing what they needed to.

Edit: I'm guessing that the next competition will be a Johtoan/Alolan competition. Does anyone know if they allow the whole Pokédex from that region, or just the Pokémon introduced in those regions?

Edit: it appears the Alolan Pokédex includes non-gen 7 Pokémon native to the region. I might start thinking about adding those to my breeding list for the next competition. Based on that Precedent, I think they should allow Pokémon like Dragonite for the next competition, if I'm right about it being Johtoan.

Last edited:
Here's the team I used:

Link to the PGL QR Code: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-44F2-92E7

Comments:
1) LOOK AT HOW CLEAN THOSE POKEBALLS ARE. Nothing but apricorn balls, dream balls, and a master ball
2) cloyster + lele + kyu is close to as bog standard as you can get, but it was still really fun to use. Specs suicide lele is disgustingly powerful as is cloyster when they can't easily chip off your last bit of HP
3) Hitmonlee was both an excuse to show off a dream ball hitmonlee and an attempt to try and turn lele blimp into something that could work okay in singles. Hitmonlee actually synergizes pretty well in a meta without Aegislash. If one of them is stopped cold by a team composition, the other usually has a pretty solid opportunity to sweep. This is pretty disproportionate though, with the pick rate being like 70:30 Cloyster:Hitmonlee (I don't think I ever brought both).
4) Analytic Porygon2 is the man. I love it.

Here are some coolio battles:

GPFW-WWWW-WWW6-7SSS - Hitmonlee goes to town and beats some stuff cloyster can't (Ditto)
2SHW-WWWW-WWW6-7SSM - Porygon2 take an onslaught

Fun competition. Looking forward to the megas.

I'm guessing that the next competition will be a Johtoan/Alolan competition. Does anyone know if they allow the whole Pokédex from that region, or just the Pokémon introduced in those regions?

Edit: it appears the Alolan Pokédex includes non-gen 7 Pokémon native to the region. I might start thinking about adding those to my breeding list for the next competition. Based on that Precedent, I think they should allow Pokémon like Dragonite for the next competition, if I'm right about it being Johtoan.
Dragonite is allowed because it's in the Alola Dex to begin with.

It's just that almost no one used it in the Alola Friendly because it didn't have many of its good moves, such as Extreme Speed.

After getting lucky and getting a Regen Toxapex through the GTS, my team wasn't leveled enough and ended up falling asleep Sunday afternoon anyway, so I didn't even get to play the 3 matches for the mega stones. Hopefully these are given away again at a later date.

But this is the first time I really missed Blissey bases.

On the plus side, I'm still having fun with my team on BSS. I'm using both Marowak and Mudsdale since the former causes a lot of match up problems against unprepared teams (it can punch major holes if they misread and lead off with their electric type) and the latter can sponge a few Timid Scarf Lele psychics with assault vest and OHKO with Heavy Slam.

If it's spec'd or Modest though, my team is screwed which is why it will probably be replaced.

Dragonite is allowed because it's in the Alola Dex to begin with.

It's just that almost no one used it in the Alola Friendly because it didn't have many of its good moves, such as Extreme Speed.
Yes, now that I've looked up what I can breed in Alpha Sapphire that will automatically qualify, I see that. I haven't decided if I want to start breeding now, or wait and see what the next competition is though.

It will be a while before I'll be able to breed in Sun, what with having to earn a Destiny Knot.

After getting lucky and getting a Regen Toxapex through the GTS, my team wasn't leveled enough and ended up falling asleep Sunday afternoon anyway, so I didn't even get to play the 3 matches for the mega stones. Hopefully these are given away again at a later date.

But this is the first time I really missed Blissey bases.

On the plus side, I'm still having fun with my team on BSS. I'm using both Marowak and Mudsdale since the former causes a lot of match up problems against unprepared teams (it can punch major holes if they misread and lead off with their electric type) and the latter can sponge a few Timid Scarf Lele psychics with assault vest and OHKO with Heavy Slam.

If it's spec'd or Modest though, my team is screwed which is why it will probably be replaced.
I didn't get Mawilite or Beedrillite, so I hope so too.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Feel free to laugh at my team that was thrown together at the last second.

Here's the link to the QR code if you (for some reason) want to try it out yourself: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-E065-4653

Comments:
The Structure
  • If it wasn't obvious enough, the main gimmick strategy of the team is Pelipper Setting up Rain for Zapdos (and Nihilego) to take advantage of. The rest of the team is just built to help deal with common threats.
  • Nihilego can revenge kill Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko and Salamence pretty reliably (if they don't switch).
  • Lucario is the Physical Wallbreaker of the team, being able to punch massive holes through the likes of Umbreon and Blissey, which would otherwise wall this team pretty reliably. (I know Iron Tail is more popular on mega sets, I just thought it'd be more handy on this set for Tapu Lele switch-ins and Tapu Bulu).
  • Alakazam is pretty much the sweep stopper, being able to either hit hard or put in a Thunder Wave. Sash+Magic Guard makes it able to take any single hit, as long as the opponent doesn't carry fake out or multi-hit moves.
  • Mimikyu is there as pretty much a Physical version of Alakazam's role. Except while Alakazam lacked Setup to break through Walls but had Status, Mimikyu had Setup but lacked status to cripple sweepers.
Threats
  • Even though I have the likes of Scarf Nihilego and Mimikyu, Tapu Lele still scares this team, since it OHKO's Nihilego and has a chance to 2HKO Mimikyu (disguise taken into account), meaning that none of them can safely switch into her
  • Cloyster after getting up a Shell Smash is deadly, It busts straight through Mimikyu's Disquise and Zam's Sash. I suppose Lucario can knock it down a peg with close combat, and can take an Icicle Spear, but if Cloyster carries Hydro Pump, there's little hope for it.
  • Gastrodon can take pretty much any hit my team can dish out and toxic stall back. The only hits it can't take reliably are Lucario's Close Combat and Mimikyu's attacks after Swords dances, but the latter doesn't appreciate getting Clear Smog'd and the former probably loses 1v1 a lot against Physically defensive variants.
  • Specially defensive Alolan-Muk variants seemed to give me some trouble, but they were nothing my Lucario couldn't handle
  • Probably a lot of other Pokemon that I can't think of at the moment.
Creating the team
  • As mentioned earlier, the team was pretty hastily thrown together as I didn't think of making it until the Wednesday before the competition.
  • I had Nihilego completely ready before starting to make the team, I SR'd it on my sun file a while ago. The Hidden Power type is Ice, in case you're curious and it's Hyper trained to act like the IVs are 31/0/31/31/31/31 (the 0 Attack is a natural IV).
  • Mimikyu was from the Smogon Facebook giveaway of Feb 18th. I didn't have to change anything about it.
  • Alakazam was a pretty simple breed, didn't go for low attack, as I was kinda in a rush.
  • Lucario was smooth as well, I bred it in gen 6, so it could have Ice Punch and Iron Tail.
  • Fun Fact: It took me longer to get Pelipper ready than it took to get Zapdos ready. I wanted to get 31 across the board for Pelipper to get the most damage possible from U-Turn, but luck wasn't on my side. I spent about 100 eggs trying to breed for one with 31 across the board, but decided to settle for something like 27 Attack, to focus on the rest of the team. Zapdos was very easy to do, as I got a Timid one with HP Ice and a relatively low attack IV in about 5 SR's. Since it was SR'd in Gen 6, I had a very easy time EV Training and leveling it to 100 so I could Hyper Train all its stats but attack.
Results and afterthoughts
  • I got in a rating of somewhere between 1600 and 1650. So at least I ended up further than I started.
  • Overall, I think my team wasn't as bad as I downplayed it at the start, but it probably would've been demolished by more experienced players than the ones who hang out around 1500.
  • If I could make changes to the team, I'd give Pelipper a Wiki Berry instead of the Sitrus, as that would make it slightly more likely to be able to deal with Cloyster. Energy Ball would've been good on Zam, to deal with Gastrodon more easily.

I think this was the only replay of the competition I saved: E2EG-WWWW-WWW6-4SFF
I didn't think of saving more, because I didn't plan to showcase it. The one video I did save isn't even that good, as it doesn't show off how much I get countered by some mons.

Overall, the competition was pretty fun. I didn't get in as many battles as I intended to, but there was a lot of great moments for me. Pidgeotite (and Steelixite) HYPE!

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been playing so much Zelda that I forgot to even sign up for this, so looks like I'll have to grab the mega stones off someone when they get distributed. I was planning on using Reflect Zapdos, Fissure Slowbro and some other transfer-only stuff to take advantage of them being allowed. I guess the ruleset for this didn't really inspire me too much anyway, I'd be hoping for a more interesting format in the next one but I think we're due for another VGC IC online comp...

I couldn't yesterday, due to maintenance. Hopefully, they're done fixing what they needed to.
It was just regularly scheduled maintenance, they have it the same time every week iirc, but it was also the end of the season this time so it takes a little longer than usual. But yeah attempting to play another battle of an online competition after it's finished unlocks your battle box for you.

Did you get to use the Moltres very much? How did it do in this competition?
I've been playing so much Zelda that I forgot to even sign up for this, so looks like I'll have to grab the mega stones off someone when they get distributed. I was planning on using Reflect Zapdos, Fissure Slowbro and some other transfer-only stuff to take advantage of them being allowed. I guess the ruleset for this didn't really inspire me too much anyway, I'd be hoping for a more interesting format in the next one but I think we're due for another VGC IC online comp...

It was just regularly scheduled maintenance, they have it the same time every week iirc, but it was also the end of the season this time so it takes a little longer than usual. But yeah attempting to play another battle of an online competition after it's finished unlocks your battle box for you.
I used Moltres a fairy good amount in the format. I had initially tested Arcanine, but I needed something that could switch into Muk a lot easier, and between roost, flame body, and flynium z, Moltres fit the bill perfectly. Roar was a strange move, but it was my only answer against extreme evoboost. It also proved to be quite useful against one of matches I did against Cloyster.

Are you playing on the Switch or Wii U. If you're playing on Switch would you recommend it?
DW Edit: this isnt the place to discuss about Zelda. Ask on discord or smth thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to 1600s with this team and then started getting wrecked. I also didn't play the last day of the competition. I went 16-12, which is average I guess.

*Threats
-Aurora Veil Ninetails
completely destroyed my team everytime I faced it. Pretty much killed my entire team and if Magnezone had switched in, it would set up the Aurora Veil for free.
-Shell Smash Cloyster also decimated my team if my Magnezone isn't kept alive. It essientially wins the game if my Mag is dead.

Attachments

I got to 1600s with this team and then started getting wrecked. I also didn't play the last day of the competition. I went 16-12, which is average I guess.

*Threats
-Aurora Veil Ninetails
completely destroyed my team everytime I faced it. Pretty much killed my entire team and if Magnezone had switched in, it would set up the Aurora Veil for free.
-Shell Smash Cloyster also decimated my team if my Magnezone isn't kept alive. It essientially wins the game if my Mag is dead.
Why moxie over Intimidate on Salamence?

Then I guess I was unlucky that the competition finished on a Sunday. And like I am going to go into another battle with THAT team! I can hardly wait to see what the next Competition will bring, so I'll know what to breed in Alpha Sapphire.

Then I guess I was unlucky that the competition finished on a Sunday. And like I am going to go into another battle with THAT team! I can hardly wait to see what the next Competition will bring, so I'll know what to breed in Alpha Sapphire.
Online competitions always finishes on Sunday.

Hi, Friends— long time no see.

Ratings are out! Wow! I ended with a final rating of 1701 pts, putting me in 511th place. My record was 31-14. I am not a terribly skilled player, so this exceeded my expectations.

I sympathize with everyone who, earlier in this thread, complained about this format. Yeah, it was pretty similar to the Alola friendly. But I was pretty grateful for that.

When I first heard about the Alola friendly, I committed roughly a month to planning my team, testing on showdown, getting my game ready. But then something happened. Those of us who had not performed a game sync before around January 1st were prohibited from doing so. Just straight-up locked out of the PGL website, unable to sign in. This lasted until sometime around the end of February. Idk if it was just my region or what, but I saw a lot of complaints about it at the time.

I had given up hope of ever using the team I prepared for the Alola friendly… until now!

Imo very standard team. I felt that defensive Gyarados was vastly underrated prior to the Alola friendly. Being a hard stop to most Dragonite, Mimikyu, and especially Garchomp proved to be invaluable.

The team is crazy weak to Cloyster. I was hoping this competition would follow suit with the Alola friendly and that Cloyster wouldn’t show up much, but since it was ranked #6 in usage we can see how wrong I was. I think I lucked out, though, as I faced 8 Cloysters and got past 6 of them. Most lead Cloysters were taken out by leading with Muk and going clear smog as they shell smashed. Better players were obviously keen to that tactic and played around it. If I could revise the team, I would probably at least tinker with giving Celesteela giga drain or energy ball to better deal with cloyster/gastrodon (who this team also struggles with).

I was very fortunate that there was almost no luck involved in my games. No game-deciding crits, no freezes that mattered, no burns off of flare blitz. The games I lost, I deserved to lose. I do regret that I didn’t prepare much specifically for this tournament (and subsequently got trashed by nidoking in two games).

All in all, was fun! Highlights for me included ruining the dreams of a ~1800 player running a stall team. I don’t think there is any finer pleasure in life.

I got top 100 US. Pretty satisfied with this given that I only played like 15ish games and I kinda suck !_!

Also, given the usage stats, I was one of ~83 Hitmonlees in the entire tournament and one of two using psychic seed. I don't know where you are out there other psychic seed hitmonlee use, but I can feel our spiritual bond.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
upload_2017-3-24_7-33-14.png

Finished 215th with 1730 points which was worse that last time, but the competition seemed harder this time as what I got last time would only put me at 150ish as opposed to top 100. I would've thought the friendly would have more as I thought this ruleset was so much like it, but I guess the megastone prizes got more people to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)