Gen 3 Jirachi and Friends (Calm Mind Spam) Top 59 1632 Elo (Updated Team Top 14 1707 See Post #5)

Jirachi and friends.jpg

Team Building Process

I like offensive teams because they are more fun and crits matter more which I personally like. I think that physical offense isn’t as good compared to special for various reasons.

The core that I use for my Calm Mind Spam teams is

Adamant Dugtrio + Def/HP Suicune + Calm Mind Jirachi

This core allows for a way to take down Blissey with Dugtrio, provides a physical tank with Suicune and a strong sweeper with Jirachi.

I wanted another strong Calm Minder so I chose Celebi over Blissey.

I was looking at zf’s ADV lead data and it recommended Gengar as a lead. I then looked through the Dex entry by vapicuno and I saw the Utility Gengar set. I chose to change it a bit from a Hasty to Timid nature because I wanted the extra bulk with Will-O-Wisp.

I then rounded out the team with Zapdos because someone once said you can always add a Zapdos to almost any team.

Team Members

1707105297846.png

Saten (Gengar) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 168 HP / 164 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Ice Punch
- Explosion
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar lead allows you to spread status around and threaten common leads like Zapdos and Salamence with Ice Punch. This EV spread allows you to outspeed all base 100 pokemons while also having survivability. Explosion allows you to threaten Blissey and Snorlax, your two biggest threats. Will-O-Wisp is a high value move that very few pokemon get so having it on your lead allows you to punish a lot of physical leads like non-Lum Berry Metagross

Calculations with Ice Punch vs Common Leads:

Vs Mixed Salamence
0 SpA Gengar Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Salamence: 363-428 (109.6 - 129.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vs Standard Offense Zapdos 0 SpA Gengar Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 149-176 (46.2 - 54.6%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Calculations with Explosion:

Vs Utility Blissey
0- Atk Gengar Explosion vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 452-532 (69.4 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Utility Snorlax 0- Atk Gengar Explosion vs. 92 HP / 144 Def Snorlax: 264-311 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Calculations with Burn:

Choice Band Metagross VS
252+ Atk Choice Band burned Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 209-247 (68.9 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

1707105335286.png

Misaka (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Metal Sound
- Toxic

This is a somewhat standard Zapdos; the only things to note are Metal Sound and Toxic. Toxic is able to threaten Blissey and set Dugtrio up for a kill when Zapdos dies, if Blissey switches out then you get a free Thunderbolt or Toxic. Metal Sound allows you to stop set up Pokemon like Curse Snorlax or Calm Mind Blissey among other things. Zapdos pairs well with Jirachi to create mind games with Choice Band Aerodactyl Jirachi resists Rock slide and Double Edge while Zapdos is immune to Earthquake.

1707105354225.png

Shirai (Dugtrio) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide

Dugtrio is the most important Pokemon on the team as it allows you to kill your two biggest threats Blissey and to a slightly lesser extent Snorlax. This EV spread allows you to outspeed all base 100 plus nature Pokemon and outspeed some DD boosted Tyranitar. Adamant Dugtrio has the advantage of being able to kill higher health Blissey and Snorlax. While the main use for Dugtrio is to kill Blissey and Snorlax there are a wide array of other threats you can kill as a revenge killer or if you can get a sneaky switch in on a Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave or Leech Seed among other things. Adamant makes killing these secondary targets much easier as well.

Calculations:

Vs Utility Blissey
252+ Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 383-451 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Utility Snorlax 252+ Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 92 HP / 144 Def Snorlax: 226-267 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Utility Celebi 252+ Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Hidden Power Bug vs. 252 HP / 124+ Def Celebi: 295-348 (73 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Pursuit Tyranitar 252+ Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 358-422 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

1707105373488.png

:( (Suicune) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Suicune is for physical threats and being another Calm Minder. This EV spread allows for maximum physical tankiness. Hidden Power Electric is for opposing Water types with the advantage over Hidden Power Grass of hitting Gyrados for 4x although you give up a 4x against Swampert. Surf is better here vs Hydro Pump because you need more PP and missing sucks. Rest allows for longevity and being able to stall some Pokemon like Blissey if worse comes to worst. Rest also allows you to sometimes make a comeback because you can’t be roared out if your other Pokemon are dead

Calculations:

Fast Dragon Dance Tyranitar Vs +1 252 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 123-145 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- 41.8% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Utility Blissey VS Blissey Seismic Toss vs. 252 HP Suicune: 100-100 (24.7 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Vs Standard Gyarados 4 SpA Suicune Hidden Power Electric vs. 68 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 187-220 (53.7 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

1707105391395.png

Shokuhou (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Fire Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Jirachi is arguably the best Calm Minder in the format for its Sandstorm and Toxic immunity while also having Serene Grace which allows for 20% burn chance with Fire Punch 20% Sp.Def drop with Psychic. This means that you have a high chance for either a crit or secondary effect. This also makes switching into Jirachi difficult because physical threats can be burned or bulky Pokemon can get Sp.Def dropped. Jirachi is also a rock resist, and having rock resists is always helpful.

1707105407439.png

Uiharu (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Celebi has the advantage over other Calm Minders that it has two STAB options rather than Jirachi’s or Suicune's one. Celebi also has access to Giga Drain to keep it healthy although it does get sand chipped. This EV spread allows you to out speed all base 100 non plus nature Pokemon. Natural Cure is nice to have to get rid of Paralysis which is crippling. Celebi pairs well with Jirachi as it has different resists. Celebi also switches into Zapdos very well.

Threat List

Blissey and Snorlax

If you can’t take down Blissey with Dugtrio you probably lose it is very crippling. Snorlax is also an issue although not as much as Blissey is, if Snorlax doesn’t have rest then you can brute force it.

Dragon Dance Tyranitar

If a +1 Tyranitar kills your Suicune then you probably lose

Replays
Wins
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2051927270
1707105637170.png
1707105594503.png
1707105653825.png
1707105669439.png
1707105681408.png
1707105720863.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2051663639?p2
1707105756947.png
1707105781988.png
1707105798304.png
1707105812937.png
1707105824693.png
1707105840122.png

Loss
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2051934049
1707105866190.png
1707105879572.png
1707105896544.png
1707105908363.png
1707105923391.png
1707105935200.png

Proof of Peak
1707106124496.png

Thanks for reading and for any feed back.

If you use this team I would love to see replays thanks!

Team:https://pokepast.es/a76f0513f9082f6e

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hello. This looks interesting.

The easiest thing to change would be Ice Beam or Sleep Talk > HP Electric on Suicune. I know you want to cover Gyarados but I don't think it's worth it. Instead, try to play around Gyarados by keeping Zapdos healthy. Suicune is not doing anything in 90% of games if you don't give it a more offensive set.

Which brings me to my next point - it's probably better to throw those defense EVs into sp.atk and make it modest (or at least, calm).

So you then become weaker against fast Dragon Dance Tyranitar - in that case I would suggest Jolly Dugtrio. Consider Beat Up > Rock Slide as well. Note that the more common way to play this team is to lead Zapdos with SubPass, and use a bulky Beat Up Dugtrio. But okay, if this is the way you want to play, then we'll roll with it.

I'd suggest not using the same sets on Celebi and Jirachi. You should try out different combinations of CM Pass Celebi and Jirachi with Thunderbolt + Ice Punch.

Generally with this lineup though you will find that you struggle by having too many mons doing the same thing (breaking in a particular way) while not having sweeping power. I encourage you to find variations with different Pokemon - Endeavor Swampert, Agility Metagross, some Tyranitar set like mixed, etc. They're not always associated with Dugtrio but you will appreciate some diversity in the team.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
I like the team overall, but there are a few changes I would suggest:
1. I strongly suggest running more special bulk on Dugtrio in order to prevent Blissey from taking it out with an Ice Beam after some Spikes chip. This is the EV spread I reccomend on this team. Beat Up over Rock Slide is also reccomended.
Tremors (Dugtrio) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 40 HP / 144 Atk / 100 SpD / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide
- Beat Up
2. Ice Beam over Rest/HP Electric on Suicune. The current set is walled by defensive Celebi and cannot check Dragon Dance Salamence, both of which are highly undesirable for this team. As Vapicuno said, you can instead play around DD Gyara by keeping Zapdos healthy enough to check it. I also reccomend running a modest nature with max Sp.Atk and speed to outrun Breloom over the current EV spread.
3. Consider running Subsitute + Baton Pass on Zapdos over Metal Sound or Toxic. This will help you trap Blissey with Dugtrio more consistently. I'm not entirely sure about this change though.

Here's one of the games I did with your team :D I probably didn't use it very well and maybe made a few silly plays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2053212927

Here's another:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2053206360

My opponent when he saw addy dugtrio "so you just lose to dd tar?" lmao I thought for a second maybe he saw your team on the forums and saw what you said about losing to dd tyranitar :P

I guess the main problem I ran into was t wave spam, when celebi is gone then the para hax goes crazy I feel like I didn't have much counterplay there, and since Celebi doesnt pack recover I can't just keep tanking t wave after t wave with it. Though if I was aware of that earlier maybe I could have preserved celebi better, and I was probably stupid for getting trapped by dug and mag so easily lol
Suicune can rest off t-waves for sure but most users of the move can clap him with a stab thunderbolt anyway unless im CM'd up

I feel like putting BP on celebi or zapdos would be great to get dug in more reliably or pass CM boosts. Maybe even sneaking heal bell on celebi somewhere would help wake up suicune after it has rested and deal with para better. Also I feel like there's too much grass type coverage on the team, for a type that doesn't have the best coverage minus a couple of specific targets. Perhaps Celebi could lose giga drain, or Jirachi could run other coverage and I'm sure one of your two remaining grass type hits will definately be able to catch a swampert.

I actually really love this team thank you for sharing! Hope my insight wasn't completely useless (i'm an old returning player trying to re-learn my favorite gen, where did all these claydols and hariyamas come from btw?!)

Last edited:
Decided to post a update after making changes to the team and finding more success.

Changes made:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Metal Sound
- Toxic

Difference from original: Hidden Power Ice over Hidden Power Grass

Reason for change: The main reason for Ice over Grass is Celebi, also hits Flygon.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 220 Def / 112 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Difference from original: Ice Beam over Hidden Power Electric. More Sp.A

Reason for change: Ice hits more things like Salamence and Celebi. More Sp.A is good for dealing more damage.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Difference from original: Ice Punch over Hidden Power Grass

Reason for change: Serene Grace is a very good ability and Ice Punch allows for random Freezes. Also Ice Punch hits more things

The lesson that I learned is that ice type moves are good and grass type moves aren't that great. Also Swampert isn't as big of a deal as I though it was going to be.

Some replays of the new team

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2057419596?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2057346702?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2055476484
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2055380796-rbuir35vzlunim8xm6zythnab41o442pw?p2 This guy again

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-2057348053?p2 Peak game

Proof of Peak #14

1707739110811.png

Special Thanks to:

tea hawk
Cdijk16
vapicuno

https://pokepast.es/57106e93cc114ddb

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)