Project Iron Chef: Overused | Episode 11 (Coming 2019!)

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
...Time's Up!

That concludes the challenging phase! Huge thanks to all the Iron Chefs (& TPP) for taking time out of their schedules to fit some battles in, and also to the participants for putting their battle skills to the test against them!

Up next is the Voting phase! Below, you'll find each contestant's team alongside the importable + description. Your task is to vote for the one or two teams that you think best fits these three categories, as found in the OP:

CREATIVITY: Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.

EFFECTIVENESS: And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.

Hey man, I have a new team now and I think its enough creative (honestly, I started with that old team and completely swapped a buncha stuff except for Craw). I'm gonna submit this instead, its a rain TR (damage/wallbreak) as much as you can with trick room, sweep with Pert).

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave N
ature
- Trick Room
- Play Rough
- Toxic
- Destiny Bond

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Surf
- U-turn

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

I started with Band Crawdaunt. I wanted to think of ways to make him better, so I started with trick room, which allowed me to improve it's bulk a little bit through HP investment and outslow a bunch in trick room.

Next, I chose my first trick room setter, Fairium Magearna, which can survive most first hits and get many clean kills with trick room.

The next thing I did to improve Craw was add Pelipper. I noticed on my old teams I had been inclined to autoclick knock off, which ends up being punished hard by Z move users and resisted mons. Under rain, Crawdaunt has a 100BP move with 50% greater power from rain, 372 atk, and adaptability. Only defensive mons that resist water can stomach a hit. On Pelipper itself, I made it a specs pelipper, which has very spammable STABs that also hit like a truck. Under TR, it outslows much of the metagame's top threats and can OHKO them (like Zygarde). This forms a formidable wallbreaking duo that can kill physical and specially defensive threats.

Because I added Pelipper, I wanted to get another rain abuser to justify its use. Swampert seemed like a logical choice, and even though it obviously doesn't work under trick room, what often happens is fast mons are severely weakened under trick room. I send Pelipper out near the end of trick room, let it wallbreak then die, and have Swampert clean up the rest with 2-3 turns of Rain speed boost.

Banded Zygarde helps beat threats like Zapdos and Celesteela. Its also insanely hard to switch into and one of the few mons who can take a hit.

Finally, Mimikyu with red card sets up trick room for free and helps prevent your opponent from winning vs setup sweepers like Hawlucha, Reuniculus, Zygarde, and a lot of other top tier threats. Taunt prevent mons who are prepared for destiny bond from stalling out with non-attacking moves.

Weaknesses are Ash Greninja by a lot (Need to weaken then pick off with ESpeed), Ferrothorn (walls a lot of the team), and Koko. Play carefully around these threats.

https://pokepast.es/9aefc55f7c49015e

The secret ingredient isn’t all that surprising, after all, Hydreigon is by far one of the best Pokémon ranked C+ or below. Nonetheless, Hydreigon is still a unique pick, seeing some use in OLT as an offensive check to powerhouses such as Heatran, Ash-Greninja, and Reuniclus. I also tried to view the ingredient as somewhat of suboptimal choices, so I sparkled some rather unique EVs on Mega Scizor and Landorus-T that really fitted this team, the different EVs doesn’t make them C-level Pokémon, but it alludes to the theme a little bit.

After I decided on Hydreigon, my initial idea was building a strong defensive core to support it. Mega Scizor was a standout pick, handling several threatening physical attackers as well as Mega Latios and Mega Alakazam while punishing Tapu Bulu that could threaten Hydreigon. Tangrowth is then picked as a Regenerator pivot, being a solid secondary check to Zygarde and Kartana while being a decent stop to Tapu Koko and several Water-types. Heatran takes on Tapu Lele and can cripple Volcarona with Toxic, it also acts as a Stallbreaker of sorts, alleviating the matchup against said archetype, not to mention its role as a Stealth Rock setter. Landorus-T was picked as an offensive pivot but still capable of diminishing physical attacker via Intimidate, just giving the team some speed really. Tapu Koko rounds things off as a reliable Defogger capable of being an offensive check to the likes of Gyarados and Hawlucha.

Building the team on itself wasn’t actually all that tough. Everything seemed to fit so well, and I still think this is quite a well-structured squad.

The team does have a couple weaknesses, but nothing that can’t be played around: Corkscrew Crash Heatran can be threatening provided it can catch Hydreigon correctly, Magnezone can trap Mega Scizor to pave a way for Mega Latios or Mega Alakazam, but it also can be played around by being somewhat careful with Mega Scizor, not to mention that neither appreciates a Toxic. Hidden Power Ground Volcarona kind of just wins, so Heatran must be able to catch it with a Toxic and it's tricky to play around.

Aggron-Mega (M) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Fire Punch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 236 HP / 68 Atk / 4 Def / 168 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Greninja @ Waterium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios (M) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

this team was a team i built around mega aggron. i thought it was a pretty fire pick in this meta, and max attack has the capability to put in major work imo, and it can come in on mons like mega lati, torn, bulu etc. its coverage is actually really hard to resist, and u outspeed mons like celesteela and 2hko with fire punch too. this was inspired by a super old tdk team which i saw with maggron, and i noticed how even atm it had very few mons which want to come into it, and u have the capability to tank most hits. you also are a good initial switchin to mons like kyube and are one of the best mawile checks in the tier. wish clef fits super well with aggron giving wishes and helping with grounds and fightings. ferro gives spikes and helps compensate for maggron being a little worse vs special attackers w/ a more spdef heavy set. the second wincon i decided to pair this up was with resttalk zyg, since aggron abuses tf out of the clef/tang/latis which come in on zygarde so yeah. at this point, i felt i was kinda slow so i fit in latios w dragonium z. this gives me a ground resist though i have ways to deter eqs, a secondary zyg check. i think cm sets are a little slept on, since when u boost u begin to take stuff like clef moonblast comfortably, and cm is just a nice af move, you also take advantage of tang and provide a secondary check to bulu kinda + ur a threat esp with spikes support. z draco helps with ttar and also vs a lot of stuff as a nuke, like celesteela heatran stuff too. greninja in last was to give nice ass tspikes support, helping lati break bulu w/ +1 psychics and also helping zygarde vs bulu tang etc, and this also can help a lot vs stall teams. z move was chosen to help vs sab too. while dual z seems a bit awkward, its actually been pretty fire in practice, since ur opponent kind of thinks that ur not z lati or smthing or ur not z gren and then u reveal the z move. it isnt like gren really needs an item that bad + weakening knocks for lati is good too, so i think its honestly superior to anything else (lorb sucks on both, only thing i could see is maybe metronome greninja but u might have a slight problem w sab being able to stall out pumps in the long run idk, metronome seems not bad but i prefer dual z, since having the flexibility depending on matchup is nice af (you dont need to click z vs a pex team for eg, but vs a team w no good gren checks z helps a lot). maybe ur slightly celesteela weak but every mon can kinda cripple/heavily damage it bar clef and zygarde is reliable w/ rest talk if u need it too, and i won vs it when testing.

Swampert @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

Latios @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Roost

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Encore

uh i wont make late descriptions a point but ill do it tmrw morning and heres some basic stuff. the team relies on cb pert + dragonium lati to weaken ferro for gren to win and twave clef means that you can flinch down pex easily. double ice attack water kills beats grasses weak to ice so yeah if you use this team correctly it shouldnt be too hard. band pert is rly neat rn bc you do 50 to nearly everything and its rly easy to predict with. the team overall is p good defensively too. spikes makes grasses not come in much at all and you wear down regen stuff like tang which get ice punched by pert n forced out. cb rocks pert is actually rly heat bc you beat all foggers and force out a lot while bluffing other sets. this team rly looks like some kind of a mega latios offense and norm people wont expect the z which literally bops common mlati checks. celes last just fixed the bulu/zam weakness.

Last edited:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Was asked to vote for this by user Indigo Plateau, so here we go

Creativity: I feel like I have to give this section to Anish, in terms of odd mons chosen M-Aggron takes the cake as something a bit wacky that has a definite niche on the team in question. Regular pert from Vso was also interesting, I just looked at the team and thought that it didn't seem as vital to the teams make up as Aggron which is why I'm giving this to Anish. As far as the other two go Daunt on some HO infused rain didn't seem that creative of an idea, and the lyd's team isn't as creative as it would have been 2-3 weeks ago as a lot of people have started running more and more Hydreigon.

Essence/Elevation: Going to give this section to Lyd as Hydreigon is truly important to that team, and is definitely a key member helping the team improve better than other options could. Next would probably be 1TP as Daunt definitely helps the team, I'm just shaky on giving it to HO builds as there are usually several replaceable options that could possibly make the team better over Daunt. That leaves M-Aggron and Swampert, which I just don't see as super effective in the meta - even with teams built around them specifically.

Effectiveness: Once again going to have to go with Lyd as his team is fairly standard for the Hydreigon BO type of teams that are surfacing more and more. It's a solid team style, and has the edge here. If I was voting for second I'd probably give it to 1TP as it seems relatively solid for HO I just am not a fan of no hazard stack, screens, or webs on current HO. The team can definitely win some games drawing a good match up, I just am not a believer of this style of HO I suppose. That leaves Anish and Vso's teams, which while fairly solid on paper I'm just not convinced would compete well on a high level without the C rank mon of choice dragging the team down a bit.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I'd try and not pick me for a couple of these categories, but with the lack of contestants I'm moderately inclined to.

CREATIVITY: Me, I don't think anyone (in OU at least) has ever flirted with the idea of dual speed control, where I have rain boosted pert and Trick Room. If ppl could see my replay, I think it really gets across the potential effectiveness of the idea in OU.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: Gonna go with me for this. Crawdaunt is clearly maximized in this build, getting both rain boosts for incredible STAB power and speed control w/ trick room. Mimi, my second C+ mon, is an underrated trick room setter, and helps me bluff another version of HO really well. Its a great fodder mon, and helps stop a buncha setup sweepers with its item.

EFFECTIVENESS: Lyd. Really like his sleek, modern team where hydreigon might be the best option for his slot. Unfortunately, I almost wanna give negative points for the theme of this round, because hydreigon should never have been a C+ mon at the time that we started this, LMAO. But this is a super effective team that I can totally see competitive players running with or variations of it.

creativity: anish for sure - i've only ever seen maggron once and it was on a stall, so the fact that you're going for an offensive variant is super cool.

essence: lyd as gross said that team rly needs hydrei and nothing else can rly do what it does for the team

effectiveness: lyd again, builds standard good stuff

Hi Im new here are people welcome to jump in, or are you not taking any new chefs at the moment, regardless of the answer this is a super cool and fun idea props to the mastermind behind it.

thanks for the kind words; each “episode” is divided into four phases:

building: this is where you have a chance to participate by building a team around the secret ingredient
challenging: put your team to the test against high level battlers known as iron chefs
voting: vote for the best team for every category
awarding: the panel of judges vote to deare the winner of every episode

currently we’re in the voting phase, so you’ll have to wait until the next episode to submit a team - but feel free to vote, as every vote helps us out!
Thanks for the quick response friend. I thought that was how it worked but just wanted to make sure

Creativity: Anish - I've only ever seen Mega Aggron on stall from EO, so it's cool to see it on a more bulky offensive oriented build.
Essence: lyd - Hydreigon actually benefits lyd's team unlike the other teams, where these random C ranked Pokemon were just slapped on basically.
Effectiveness: lyd - A very standard archetype that's proven how effective it can be.

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN!

Although this round saw only four participants, the scoring was the closest it's ever been. The winner took home the gold by a mere 1% difference with an overall score of 60%. Without further ado, I'm proud to announce the ninth ever winner of Iron Chef | Overused as...

Chef Anish!

There were a lot of different Pokemon used this episode that were ranked C+ or lower at the time, so I hope you guys enjoyed building around them. Chef lyd's team won the Essence and Effectiveness categories from community votes, but Chef Anish's better battle record, Creativity title, and minutely higher Panel of Judge ratings allowed him to scrape by with his first title. The team was also unique in that it used Mega Aggron outside of stall and supported it well through the likes of Wish Clefable, and the team overall had solid synergy. His dish will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly!

The votes for community voting were also counted, and the winner of each dish is presented below:

Most Original Dish: Anish
Most Essential Dish: lyd
Best-Tasting Dish: lyd

Stay tuned, as the secret ingredient for the next Episode will be revealed later on today!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
Please make sure you read the rules above in their entirety. Failure to comply with and/or follow the rules can disqualify you from participating for that episode. I will enforce this very strictly!

You do not have to post "in" to participate!

And now, for the tenth Secret Ingredient of the show...

-
Electric Feel

-
The theme for this Episode is simple and needs little explaining: participants must build a team utilizing either one Electric-type Pokemon or two Pokemon with Electric-type coverage in the place of the Electric-type Pokemon.
Note: Tapu Koko is banned for this round!

The teambuilding part of this Episode will go on until Thursday, October 4 @ 11:59 PM EST GMT EDT. Participants must PM the team to me, the Chairman, otherwise they will not be accepted. The team must also include a description up to standard with the rules or else it will not be accepted. Do not post your team in the thread! If you have a question regarding what is eligible for this round, PM me, the Chairman.

After the teambuilding phase, participants with approved teams will be mentioned in the thread and will be able to challenge the Iron Chefs.

Allez, cuisine!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's up!

Tagging the chefs with approved teams below:

Egor
Abyssal Ruins
1_TrickPhony
Captain Funk
Synonimous
mellowyellowhd

Please keep in mind that most Iron Chefs have busy schedules and have willingly volunteered to help out by participating, so try your hardest to schedule around their availability. For reference, I have listed each of their time zones in the OP. You can only challenge each Iron Chef once per episode, and you don't have to challenge all of them if you don't feel the need to.

The easiest way to schedule is usually by checking Discord, where the Iron Chefs will post that they are online!

The deadline for the challenging phase will be approximately Friday, October 19 @ 12 AM EDT GMT -4. Remember that every game, whether it's a win or loss, increases your overall score, and this category now affects your overall score more. Good luck to all!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's Up!

That concludes the challenging phase! Huge thanks to all the Iron Chefs for taking time out of their schedules to fit some battles in, and also to the participants for putting their battle skills to the test against them!

Up next is the Voting phase! Below, you'll find each contestant's team alongside the importable + description. Your task is to vote for the one or two teams that you think best fits these three categories, as found in the OP:

CREATIVITY: Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.

EFFECTIVENESS: And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.

Trying something new now - teams will remain anonymous to the public. Please vote for the best team in each category. Anyone (Iron Chefs, community, and contestants) can vote; this phase will be up for roughly 4-5 days!

Team 1

Team 2

Team 3

Team 4

Team 5

Creativity: Gonna go for Team 1 here - Zeraora's a cool mon that you really don't see much, and you especially don't see that set often. Also Rest on TankChomp seems interesting.
Essence: Team 5 - The team just loses to Kartana without Zapdos and Mega Pinsir would get a lot more annoying if you managed to weaken Hippowdon a bit. I've chosen this team over Team 3 as it has a Chansey which is pretty much mandatory on every Stall build.
Effectiveness: Team 5 again - Stall's pretty good right now and I don't really see any crippling weaknesses for this one aside from Firium Z Heatran - it's a worrying weakness granted but I still think it's the best of the bunch this time around. The team could maybe do with another hazard remover but aside from that it looks good, so it gets my vote.

Last edited:
Creativity: I'll go with Team 1 here, it's not good but it is the most innovative of the teams so it fits the criteria the best.
Essence: Team 5, this team probably needs the Electric type the most of the other teams submitted to check Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Pinsir.
Effectiveness: Team 5, stall's in a good spot right now and this variant covers a good amount of the meta, though Z-Heatran is very hard for this team to deal with and I see very little opportunities to outplay it so that's something that should be fixed imo.

creativity: all of these honestly have marginal creativity so I guess im not voting for this.

essence and effectiveness to team 4 imo. this team is extremely solid and relies on zap to clear tspikes and pressure sciz/ferro and birds like pinsir/hawlucha.

Creativity:
This team looks really creative, packing mons you don't see too often in the current meta such as Zeraora, Zard X, and Rotom-Wash, definitely the most diverse of the 5.

Essence:
Team 4 definitely relies on Zapdos the most, without it Mega Sharpedo is extremely worn down and can't perform its job as a cleaner to it's fullest potential. Zapdos is also one of the only reliable answers to steels on this team, beating Ferrothorn, and Scizor with Heat Wave and taking nothing from them in return.

Effectiveness:
I feel Team 5 is 100% the most solid and effective team in the meta at the moment, being able to handle a vast amount of mons that are trending right now. Heatran is a huge issue for this team to break with Hippowdon being the only mon being able to kill it, Hippowdon falling to a Z-Move from Heatran is terrifying because this team has a huge weakness to it, specifically Firium Z. Aside from that this team is probably the best choice for effectiveness out of the 5.

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN!

Sorry for the huge delay - this semester has been a ton of work for me (please direct all complaints towards TPP thanks). With that being said, the scores have been calculated, and by a mere 2%, the winner of the tenth episode of Iron Chef | Overused is...

Chef mellowyellowhd !
Although this round only saw 5 participants, the teams were still pretty versatile. Despite being outvoted by the community in the Effectiveness category, the Panel of Judges gave the slight edge to Chef mellowyellowhd's team in the overall scoring thanks to the Essence brought to the team by Zapdos, helping check otherwise very troublesome threats like Kartana and Torn-T that prevent the team from functioning effectively. His dish will be added to the Hall of Fame (over winter break) shortly!

The votes for community voting were also counted, and the winner of each dish is presented below:

Most Original Dish: Abyssal Ruins
Most Essential Dish: Egor & mellowyellowhd
Best-Tasting Dish:
Egor

Thanks to everyone who participated! This will go on temporary hold and will resume in 2019 when my workload dies down, so 'til then! :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)