Ladder Inverse Battle

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
bump w a brief post on Speed tiers:

Relevant speed tiers:
492 - Jolly Scarf Victini (base 100 Scarf)
438 - Timid Mega Alakazam (base 150)
427 - Jolly Mega Beedrill (base 145)
405 - Jolly Mega Lopunny (base 135)
377 - Timid/Jolly Greninja (base 122)
350 - Lati@s (base 110)
331 - Timid/Naive/Hasty Landorus-I (base 101)
306 - Timid Meloetta/Porygon-Z (base 90)
299 - Adamant Staraptor (base 100)
284 - Jolly Mamoswine (base 80)
273 - Jolly pre-mega Beedrill (base 75)
262 - Jolly Breloom (base 70)
156 - 0 Speed Porygon2 (base 60)
136 - 0 Speed Chansey (base 50)

There are more but these are the main things to beat. Beedrill always carries Protect, so it's only worth outspeeding it if you carry Feint or want to force 50/50s. Breloom's speed tier is probably the most hotly contested, so you might end up adding a fairly significant amount of speed creep there.

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
[crickets]

Set Dump: Megas Edition
I wanted to try and come up with a viable set for as many megas as possible, and I thought I'd share it since I often have difficulty trying to pick a mega when I don't want to use Beedrill.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

Explanation for this set can be found here. You can run something from ground types in the last slot (eg Rock Slide) but they're uncommon and Ice Shard is usually better.

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Swords Dance
- Ice Beam

Idea is to break Chanslugg (and P2 to an extent). ZHB is for Meloetta, otherwise run SD or Superpower. Superpower gives perfect coverage, ZHB is pretty much perfect outside of Gengar, and SD allows you to potentially sweep. Chansey and P2 technically wall this at +0 (in that they take <50% from any attack), but despise losing their Eviolite, so it does its job. SPunch is fairly cool to beat Bees and Lop, as well.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Energy Ball
- Encore / Shadow Ball

Wasn't really sure what to do with this, so I went with something that wasn't completely outclassed by regular 'Zam. This means taking advantage of the fact that you outspeed Beedrill (and everything else lmao). With that in mind, Signal Beam/Energy Ball is mandatory to beat Bees - EBall guarantees the OHKO but leaves you with less good coverage. CM is also pretty much mandatory so you can break Chanslugg (2HKOing Chansey at +1), and Shadow Ball vs Encore is whether you want the utility of Encore or the ability to beat standard P2 (Shadow Ball 2HKOs most of the time at +1, or if it loses Evolite).

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Draco Meteor / Hyper Voice / Ice Beam
- Roost / Earthquake
First thing that stands out is probably Draco, but it does more than Hyper Voice or Ice Beam to Avalugg (still 2HKOs even after the drop, bar min rolls), as well as providing coverage for things like Breloom. You can of course run Hyper Voice/Ice Beam as a more reliable option, but where's the fun in that? Altaria has pretty garbage coverage for Inverse, so I went with Roost in the last slot, but it also has a garbage typing, so you're probably better off going with EQ to hit specific threats (eg 'loom, Dnite, SpDef Tangrowth). No point running a +speed nature as you lose to Lopunny anyway and can't outspeed Beedrill, and there's essentially nothing else relevant between 388 and 426 except the very uncommon Manectric.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off / Drill Run
- Protect

Standard set is standard. The only real choice is whether you want to hit P2 (Knock Off) or generic Grass types (Drill Run), and P2 has more usage than most grass types combined.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Scald

Honestly, I have no idea what this wants to run. This set gives you perfect coverage and spin, but Blastoise is probably not that good unless you really want a spinner which isn't Avalugg.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost / Dragon Pulse

While your coverage is even better than OU, Charizard's awful typing makes setup opportunities scarce. Dragon Pulse is a very cool option to 2HKO Avalugg, and the last slot is pretty free anyway (you can run stuff like SD/TW if you want). With Avalugg removed, though, this thing is pretty scary, it hits like a truck.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Tailwind / Air Slash

It's a shame that Chansey is even more prevelant here, as zard has nothing for it. Your coverage is only resisted by Mamoswine and a couple of Thick Fat mons (which are all garbage). Last slot is filler, Air Slash gets the 2HKO on Mamo if you're really desperate.

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat / Drain Punch / Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off / Zen Headbutt

Gallade's main niche is 2HKOing Leftovers-less Avalugg at +2, while also irritating Chansey and P2. Koff is usually the first move you use, and you can SD up once Avalugg. ZHB is a decent option to OHKO 252/0 Meloetta most of the time, and may in fact be a better STAB since Fighting is walled by Avalugg, Chansey and P2, the 3 most common walls. ZHB OHKOs P2 (after some chip damage) and Chansey at +2 once their item has been removed. Shadow Sneak would be a nice option but there's no room on the set, unfortunately.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Wish / Will-O'-Wisp
- Taunt

Basically the same as it is in OU. Signal Beam is for fighting types, Wish helps vs Eviolite dudes, wisp is just cool in general.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Honestly, I don't think this is that viable, but it outspeeds Beedrill at +1, and Porygon2 can't break its sub with Tri Attack unless it's boosted by Analytic/Download. You need to get to +2 to beat P2, though, and you still lose to Avalugg (you need four boosts to 2HKO).

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed
- Close Combat
This thing is an absolute monster, it 2HKOs literally the entire tier at +2, minimum. Its biggest problem is how slow it is, you miss out on a bunch of mons.

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sunny Day

+2 252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey in Sun: 651-766 (101.4 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
So umm... yeah. It's a shame that I can't build or play weather teams, but they actually could be fairly viable in the meta. It's a shame that this thing is slower than Bees and Lop, but otherwise it's pretty solid.

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power

Not sure on EVs, you can run more speed if you want but there's not a great deal that's relevant between 330 and 350. Grains of Salt talked about it a little bit here.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Baton Pass
- Frustration
- Quick Attack / High Jump Kick / Substitute
- High Jump Kick / Toxic / Power-Up Punch / Baton Pass

Fairly standard. You can run Subpass but it's pretty bad, imo the first slashes are the best ones. Toxic cripples P2 and Avalugg and PuP gives you a chance to 2HKO P2 after a boost.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

This gets a direct upgrade from standard in that Signal Beam hits harder than HP Ice while giving you perfect 3 move coverage. Very underrated, biggest problem is the competition with Beedrill.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt

This thing's Fake Out hits even harder than Mega Lopunny's, it's pretty nuts. Ice Punch is an option but doesn't do enough to Avalugg to be worth it imo, and ZHB 2HKOs P2 after two rounds of Stealth Rock (aka one double switch). Bullet Punch helps clean up weakened offensive teams.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Very strong. 2HKOs Avalugg at +2, EQ has a chance to OHKO 252/252+ Tangrowth at +2 as well. Typing is still unfortunate, with 3 quad weaknesses to fairly common attacking types and a bug weakness which is irritating. That said, +2 Quick Attack does 70% minimum to Beedrill lmao

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm

I don't really like this, but it does beat Beedrill most of the time. Perfect STAB coverage is cool, last move is filler and could feasibly be Toxic. P2 and Chansey wall you 300% of the time, otherwise*.

*or you can run the SD set:
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Leaf Storm

You need Outrage to 2HKO P2 at +2, otherwise Dragon Claw is fine (Leaf Blade 2HKOs after rocks). Leaf Storm is for Avalugg, obviously.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge

This set is a really weird one that I came up with a couple of days ago, but it works as a lure/check for Beedrill and Lopunny, and a counter for Breloom if you don't switch in on Spore (it can't reliably take on 2 of these, though, so be warned). Mega Ttar's amazing natural bulk allows it to survive any single attack from Bees/Lop and Crunch OHKOs both, or you can Pursuit trap them if you think they'll switch out. Protect is to block Fake Out from Lop so you can actually beat it, and also lets you mega safely in front of 'Loom so you can outspeed it. SR is filler bc it's great move, but you can run whatever you want in that slot.

If I haven't listed a mega, it's either because I've tested it and found it awful (hi Glalie), because it is literally awful (hi Aggron), or because I can't think of a niche for it.

---------------

I also wanted to talk about a couple of Meloetta switchins which aren't called P2, and can do other things too.

Crobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe OR 212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Jolly Nature OR Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Brave Bird

The spreads allow you to switch into almost anything SubCM Meloetta uses and win:
-Sub is beaten by Infiltrator Toxic/Taunt
-CM is beaten by Taunt or Toxic unless Melo has significant investment
The first spread's EVs ensure you outspeed everything up to Landorus-I, while also avoiding the 2HKO from +1 0 SpA Hyper Voice. Invested Meloetta is a problem for this, though. The second spread outspeeds max speed Meloetta and takes invested +1 Hyper Voices a little easier. Brave Bird has a good chance to 2HKO after 1 Sub + Toxic damage.

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 188 HP / 8 Atk / 24 Def / 136 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Claw

This thing has really weird EVs/Nature but they do a number of things:
-outsped Breloom by 2 points, and therefore beat anything which is EV'd to outspeed 'loom
-avoid the 2HKO from any move from +1 Modest Meloetta with 68 SpA EVs or less, aka Meloetta with 263 Speed or faster
-any Meloetta which outspeeds this Kyurem can't 2HKO it at +1
-Dragon Claw breaks 252/252 Bold Meloetta's sub
-Porygon2's Tri Attack doesn't break the sub unless it has a Download boost (which it needs to get from something else) or is Analytic
-subs have >101 HP to set up on Chansey
-Avalugg can't break the Sub if you don't click Dragon Claw

If you switch in on an attack, then you basically win; clicking Dragon Claw is safest in case they outspeed and sub. Switching in on Sub or CM is a little trickier, but you're still probably okay.

Also get hyped for Inverse Banhappy Tour coming soon(TM)!
I'm sure I had more to talk about...

[crickets]

Set Dump: Megas Edition
I wanted to try and come up with a viable set for as many megas as possible, and I thought I'd share it since I often have difficulty trying to pick a mega when I don't want to use Beedrill.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

Explanation for this set can be found here. You can run something from ground types in the last slot (eg Rock Slide) but they're uncommon and Ice Shard is usually better.

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Swords Dance
- Ice Beam

Idea is to break Chanslugg (and P2 to an extent). ZHB is for Meloetta, otherwise run SD or Superpower. Superpower gives perfect coverage, ZHB is pretty much perfect outside of Gengar, and SD allows you to potentially sweep. Chansey and P2 technically wall this at +0 (in that they take <50% from any attack), but despise losing their Eviolite, so it does its job. SPunch is fairly cool to beat Bees and Lop, as well.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Energy Ball
- Encore / Shadow Ball

Wasn't really sure what to do with this, so I went with something that wasn't completely outclassed by regular 'Zam. This means taking advantage of the fact that you outspeed Beedrill (and everything else lmao). With that in mind, Signal Beam/Energy Ball is mandatory to beat Bees - EBall guarantees the OHKO but leaves you with less good coverage. CM is also pretty much mandatory so you can break Chanslugg (2HKOing Chansey at +1), and Shadow Ball vs Encore is whether you want the utility of Encore or the ability to beat standard P2 (Shadow Ball 2HKOs most of the time at +1, or if it loses Evolite).

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Draco Meteor / Hyper Voice / Ice Beam
- Roost / Earthquake
First thing that stands out is probably Draco, but it does more than Hyper Voice or Ice Beam to Avalugg (still 2HKOs even after the drop, bar min rolls), as well as providing coverage for things like Breloom. You can of course run Hyper Voice/Ice Beam as a more reliable option, but where's the fun in that? Altaria has pretty garbage coverage for Inverse, so I went with Roost in the last slot, but it also has a garbage typing, so you're probably better off going with EQ to hit specific threats (eg 'loom, Dnite, SpDef Tangrowth). No point running a +speed nature as you lose to Lopunny anyway and can't outspeed Beedrill, and there's essentially nothing else relevant between 388 and 426 except the very uncommon Manectric.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off / Drill Run
- Protect

Standard set is standard. The only real choice is whether you want to hit P2 (Knock Off) or generic Grass types (Drill Run), and P2 has more usage than most grass types combined.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Scald

Honestly, I have no idea what this wants to run. This set gives you perfect coverage and spin, but Blastoise is probably not that good unless you really want a spinner which isn't Avalugg.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost / Dragon Pulse

While your coverage is even better than OU, Charizard's awful typing makes setup opportunities scarce. Dragon Pulse is a very cool option to 2HKO Avalugg, and the last slot is pretty free anyway (you can run stuff like SD/TW if you want). With Avalugg removed, though, this thing is pretty scary, it hits like a truck.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Tailwind / Air Slash

It's a shame that Chansey is even more prevelant here, as zard has nothing for it. Your coverage is only resisted by Mamoswine and a couple of Thick Fat mons (which are all garbage). Last slot is filler, Air Slash gets the 2HKO on Mamo if you're really desperate.

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat / Drain Punch / Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off / Zen Headbutt

Gallade's main niche is 2HKOing Leftovers-less Avalugg at +2, while also irritating Chansey and P2. Koff is usually the first move you use, and you can SD up once Avalugg. ZHB is a decent option to OHKO 252/0 Meloetta most of the time, and may in fact be a better STAB since Fighting is walled by Avalugg, Chansey and P2, the 3 most common walls. ZHB OHKOs P2 (after some chip damage) and Chansey at +2 once their item has been removed. Shadow Sneak would be a nice option but there's no room on the set, unfortunately.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Wish / Will-O'-Wisp
- Taunt

Basically the same as it is in OU. Signal Beam is for fighting types, Wish helps vs Eviolite dudes, wisp is just cool in general.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Honestly, I don't think this is that viable, but it outspeeds Beedrill at +1, and Porygon2 can't break its sub with Tri Attack unless it's boosted by Analytic/Download. You need to get to +2 to beat P2, though, and you still lose to Avalugg (you need four boosts to 2HKO).

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed
- Close Combat
This thing is an absolute monster, it 2HKOs literally the entire tier at +2, minimum. Its biggest problem is how slow it is, you miss out on a bunch of mons.

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sunny Day

+2 252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey in Sun: 651-766 (101.4 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
So umm... yeah. It's a shame that I can't build or play weather teams, but they actually could be fairly viable in the meta. It's a shame that this thing is slower than Bees and Lop, but otherwise it's pretty solid.

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power

Not sure on EVs, you can run more speed if you want but there's not a great deal that's relevant between 330 and 350. Grains of Salt talked about it a little bit here.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Baton Pass
- Frustration
- Quick Attack / High Jump Kick / Substitute
- High Jump Kick / Toxic / Power-Up Punch / Baton Pass

Fairly standard. You can run Subpass but it's pretty bad, imo the first slashes are the best ones. Toxic cripples P2 and Avalugg and PuP gives you a chance to 2HKO P2 after a boost.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

This gets a direct upgrade from standard in that Signal Beam hits harder than HP Ice while giving you perfect 3 move coverage. Very underrated, biggest problem is the competition with Beedrill.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt

This thing's Fake Out hits even harder than Mega Lopunny's, it's pretty nuts. Ice Punch is an option but doesn't do enough to Avalugg to be worth it imo, and ZHB 2HKOs P2 after two rounds of Stealth Rock (aka one double switch). Bullet Punch helps clean up weakened offensive teams.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Very strong. 2HKOs Avalugg at +2, EQ has a chance to OHKO 252/252+ Tangrowth at +2 as well. Typing is still unfortunate, with 3 quad weaknesses to fairly common attacking types and a bug weakness which is irritating. That said, +2 Quick Attack does 70% minimum to Beedrill lmao

Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm

I don't really like this, but it does beat Beedrill most of the time. Perfect STAB coverage is cool, last move is filler and could feasibly be Toxic. P2 and Chansey wall you 300% of the time, otherwise*.

*or you can run the SD set:
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Leaf Storm

You need Outrage to 2HKO P2 at +2, otherwise Dragon Claw is fine (Leaf Blade 2HKOs after rocks). Leaf Storm is for Avalugg, obviously.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge

This set is a really weird one that I came up with a couple of days ago, but it works as a lure/check for Beedrill and Lopunny, and a counter for Breloom if you don't switch in on Spore (it can't reliably take on 2 of these, though, so be warned). Mega Ttar's amazing natural bulk allows it to survive any single attack from Bees/Lop and Crunch OHKOs both, or you can Pursuit trap them if you think they'll switch out. Protect is to block Fake Out from Lop so you can actually beat it, and also lets you mega safely in front of 'Loom so you can outspeed it. SR is filler bc it's great move, but you can run whatever you want in that slot.

If I haven't listed a mega, it's either because I've tested it and found it awful (hi Glalie), because it is literally awful (hi Aggron), or because I can't think of a niche for it.

---------------

I also wanted to talk about a couple of Meloetta switchins which aren't called P2, and can do other things too.

Crobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe OR 212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Jolly Nature OR Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Brave Bird

The spreads allow you to switch into almost anything SubCM Meloetta uses and win:
-Sub is beaten by Infiltrator Toxic/Taunt
-CM is beaten by Taunt or Toxic unless Melo has significant investment
The first spread's EVs ensure you outspeed everything up to Landorus-I, while also avoiding the 2HKO from +1 0 SpA Hyper Voice. Invested Meloetta is a problem for this, though. The second spread outspeeds max speed Meloetta and takes invested +1 Hyper Voices a little easier. Brave Bird has a good chance to 2HKO after 1 Sub + Toxic damage.

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 188 HP / 8 Atk / 24 Def / 136 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Claw

This thing has really weird EVs/Nature but they do a number of things:
-outsped Breloom by 2 points, and therefore beat anything which is EV'd to outspeed 'loom
-avoid the 2HKO from any move from +1 Modest Meloetta with 68 SpA EVs or less, aka Meloetta with 263 Speed or faster
-any Meloetta which outspeeds this Kyurem can't 2HKO it at +1
-Dragon Claw breaks 252/252 Bold Meloetta's sub
-Porygon2's Tri Attack doesn't break the sub unless it has a Download boost (which it needs to get from something else) or is Analytic
-subs have >101 HP to set up on Chansey
-Avalugg can't break the Sub if you don't click Dragon Claw

If you switch in on an attack, then you basically win; clicking Dragon Claw is safest in case they outspeed and sub. Switching in on Sub or CM is a little trickier, but you're still probably okay.

Also get hyped for Inverse Banhappy Tour coming soon(TM)!
I'm sure I had more to talk about...
If my calculations are correct, this should beat SubCM Meloetta.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Toxic

0 SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Bouffalant: 84-99 (21.3 - 25.1%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Bouffalant Frustration vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meloetta: 102-120 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

The Speed EVs let it outspeed uninvested Porygon2, though this spread gets its subs broken by P2 -- you need at least 132 SpD EVs to escape that fate. Anyways, the premise is that it sets up Substitutes on Meloetta's uninvested Psyshocks, then clicks Swords Dance as necessary and can pressure it out with its Frustrations (even +1 uninvested Psyshock isn't so horribly powerful). Porygon2 is good for a free Substitute provided it doesn't just start attacking immediately, and Roarless Avalugg works so long as you're not powering up its Avalanches by attacking too early. There's no point in running coverage, so it just uses Toxic to fuck with Quagsire or whatever.

Also a banhappy Inverse tour is a really cool idea, where'd you get it?

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
this post is a bit of a ramble, sorry

If my calculations are correct, this should beat SubCM Meloetta.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Toxic

0 SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Bouffalant: 84-99 (21.3 - 25.1%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Bouffalant Frustration vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meloetta: 102-120 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

The Speed EVs let it outspeed uninvested Porygon2, though this spread gets its subs broken by P2 -- you need at least 132 SpD EVs to escape that fate. Anyways, the premise is that it sets up Substitutes on Meloetta's uninvested Psyshocks, then clicks Swords Dance as necessary and can pressure it out with its Frustrations (even +1 uninvested Psyshock isn't so horribly powerful). Porygon2 is good for a free Substitute provided it doesn't just start attacking immediately, and Roarless Avalugg works so long as you're not powering up its Avalanches by attacking too early. There's no point in running coverage, so it just uses Toxic to fuck with Quagsire or whatever.

Also a banhappy Inverse tour is a really cool idea, where'd you get it?
This is pretty cool and works vs uninvested Melo, but it falls short if it has significant SpA investment. It also can't reliably switch in, which was what I was trying to find (though I'm not convinced I actually succeeded). Also, by moving 4 EVs from HP to defense, you hit a jump point, which means it can't ever break your subs:
0 SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Bouffalant: 82-97 (20.8 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

I went and had a look for other Soundproof users, buuut they're all garbage.
252 SpA Choice Specs Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 408-480 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
You can switch in on CM or Hyper Voice and win, speed typing at worst, so I guess it's a decent check? You 2HKO non-eviolite Chansey too, and it's a roll vs non-Evio P2 after rocks:
252 SpA Choice Specs Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Chansey: 322-381 (50.1 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Porygon2: 157-186 (41.9 - 49.7%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mimez is bad though sorry Adrian

As for other Melo checks, nichemons go!
Dragalge @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Dragon Tail / Haze
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic Spikes / Haze

Gunk Shot does around 40 minimum to 252/0 Melo
0 SpA Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Avalugg: 330-390 (83.9 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, which is cool

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield / Roar / Grass Knot (with a Sassy Nature)
- Leech Seed / Synthesis
- Drain Punch

0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 106-126 (26.2 - 31.1%) -- 9.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Chesnaught Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Avalugg: 183-216 (46.5 - 54.9%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Spikes are awesome to have on a team.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 200 HP / 60 Atk / 248 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Clear Smog
- Synthesis
- Spore

60 Atk Amoonguss Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 102-120 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Meloetta needs at least 367 SpA to have a chance to 2HKO at +1, and Amoongus is cool in general, spore is broken etc etc.

The idea for the tour came from here, if you're interested/didn't know

bump
I've been using 2 sets recently that I've found to be really effective:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic / Psyshock

This thing is seriously amazing and is pretty much Meloetta on steroids - immune to status, has reliable recovery, and Acid Armor + Calm Mind allows it to set up on offensive and defensive teams alike with incredible ease. After an Acid Armor or two, Reuniclus is near unbreachable physically and doesn't give a shit about Psyshock, and it only takes a few Calm Minds for Reuniclus to be able to tank almost any special hit as well. Psychic is preferable to Psyshock because otherwise Avalugg can roar you out. Unfortunately, Psychic also means Chansey can stall you out, but if you can Knock Off its Eviolite or set up Toxic Spikes it can no longer do that. Thanks to Magic Guard, Reuniclus makes for a good Toxic soaker as well. Here are some calcs to demonstrate how unbelievably hard this thing is to kill once it's got boosts under its belt:
252 SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. +2 252 HP / 216+ Def Reuniclus: 116-140 (27.3 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. +1 252 HP / 40 SpD Reuniclus: 106-126 (25 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. +2 252 HP / 216+ Def Reuniclus: 136-160 (32 - 37.7%) -- 92.4% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. +2 252 HP / 216+ Def Reuniclus: 88-104 (20.7 - 24.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. +2 252 HP / 216+ Def Reuniclus: 186-222 (43.8 - 52.3%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 40 SpD Reuniclus: 195-231 (45.9 - 54.4%) -- 54.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. +2 252 HP / 216+ Def Reuniclus: 151-182 (35.6 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. +1 252 HP / 40 SpD Reuniclus: 200-238 (47.1 - 56.1%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. +2 252 HP / 216+ Def Reuniclus: 198-234 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This does have a few counters in very strong Fighting types with Band or SD like Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Mega Heracross, or SubCM Keldeo which can just set up in its face, but it is otherwise incredibly difficult to kill without the right mons or lucky crits. Strong Psychic types that carry Psychic instead of Psyshock can really dent it as well early on, but they usually get OHKO'd in return.

Tyranitar @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge / Ice Beam
- Toxic / Ice Beam

While Reuniclus is amazing, it does have some problems with the omnipresent Breloom and other Fighting types, and Tyranitar takes care of that problem. With Safety Goggles, Tyranitar is borderline immune to just about anything Breloom can do, and can simply switch in and kill it with Pursuit. Outside of killing Breloom and other Fighting types with Pursuit, Tyranitar is also good at setting rocks and spreading status, and the given spread makes it surprisingly bulky. No recovery is a downer, but Tyranitar is still great at its job and gets many opportunities to switch in and get rocks up. You'd be surprised at some of the attacks it can take in a pinch:
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Tyranitar in Sand: 296-352 (73.4 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Tyranitar in Sand: 338-402 (83.8 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ SpA Servine Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 160 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 41-48 (10.1 - 11.9%) -- possible 6HKO after sandstorm damage
0 SpA Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 248 HP / 160 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 102-121 (25.3 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Last edited:
Has anyone tried out Chilan Berry to combat Normal-types? Terrakion, for instance, could tank Normal-type moves from Mega Lopunny or Staraptor and retaliate with Stone Edge or Earthquake, respectively.

I'm also curious what sets people run on Cloyster. Hydro Pump almost feels mandatory so that Tangrowth and Flying-types don't shit on you, and I've dabbled with fully special sets (SS+Hydro Pump + Signal Beam + Filler) that take advantage of Overcoat to be a solid Breloom switch-in. The primary downsides being that it can't break chanslugg unless you run Skill Link + Icicle Spear (2HKOs Chansey at +2, even uninvested) and it doesn't plow through sashes.

Really wishing that I'd backed up my old Inverse teams to an external drive of some sort bc they died with my old computer. RIP in RIP.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Has anyone tried out Chilan Berry to combat Normal-types? Terrakion, for instance, could tank Normal-type moves from Mega Lopunny or Staraptor and retaliate with Stone Edge or Earthquake, respectively.

I'm also curious what sets people run on Cloyster. Hydro Pump almost feels mandatory so that Tangrowth and Flying-types don't shit on you, and I've dabbled with fully special sets (SS+Hydro Pump + Signal Beam + Filler) that take advantage of Overcoat to be a solid Breloom switch-in. The primary downsides being that it can't break chanslugg unless you run Skill Link + Icicle Spear (2HKOs Chansey at +2, even uninvested) and it doesn't plow through sashes.

Really wishing that I'd backed up my old Inverse teams to an external drive of some sort bc they died with my old computer. RIP in RIP.
I've run this before:
Cloyster @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Hydro Pump
It's meant to outspeed everything up to Scarf 101s ie Lando-I (for w/e reason) at +2, HPump smashes Tangrowth to pieces, and you 2HKO P2. Not quite as easy to set it up compared to sash, though.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 405-480 (103 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 56 SpA Life Orb Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 416-491 (102.9 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 275-330 (73.5 - 88.2%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after 3 layers of Spikes
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 570-680 (88.7 - 105.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 235-280 (73.6 - 87.7%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock[/calc]

also that Reuni set is fucking gross I'm literally tempted to run Toxicroak to beat it

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Well, here goes.
Have any of the council members thought of un-banning darkrai?

First off, Dark void's nerf made darkrai less scary.
I know if we unban it, nasty plot darkrai might be a problem but I think chansey and some other mons might wall it.

Chansey
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 179-212 (27.8 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Chansey isnt that uncommon in the inverse meta and we can clearly see darkrai doesnt do much even with a nsaty plot up.

Further,
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 356-421 (55.4 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yes, this is a scary calc BUT I think as chansey easily lives one f blast, it can phase darkrai to make it less effective.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 239-283 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Chansey straight walls it.

For offensive teams, there's other options like Bisharp and Weavile

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 361-429 (128.4 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 424-502 (150.8 - 178.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I think we might see a increase usage of ditto to get the free stats.

I would want the inverse's council to look at this, ty <3

Last edited:

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
That Focus Blast calc isn't right. It's not considering Inverse. What does Darkrai do with Shadow Ball?
Opps.
Here's the calc of shadow ball.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 239-283 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

*Chansey's typing was changed to ghost to make shadow ball super effective.

Anyways, doesnt seem much of a problem, chansey can wall this.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Well, here goes.
Have any of the council members thought of un-banning darkrai?

First off, Dark void's nerf made darkrai less scary.
I know if we unban it, nasty plot darkrai might be a problem but I think chansey and some other mons might wall it.

Chansey
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 179-212 (27.8 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Chansey isnt that uncommon in the inverse meta and we can clearly see darkrai doesnt do much even with a nsaty plot up.

Further,
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 356-421 (55.4 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yes, this is a scary calc BUT I think as chansey easily lives one f blast, it can phase darkrai to make it less effective.

For offensive teams, there's other options like Bisharp and Weavile

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 361-429 (128.4 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 424-502 (150.8 - 178.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I think we might see a increase usage of ditto to get the free stats.

I would want the inverse's council to look at this, ty <3
We have a council?

Well, this thread is still for the gen VI meta, and I don't think anyone wants Darkrai legal this generation. Next gen is a different matter, of course.

My thoughts on Darkrai are that it's a bit too good to warrant a test. In OU, you need Nasty Plot+Dark Pulse+coverage for dark/fighting/fairy, and you can only cover 2 of those with your two free slots. You also sometimes want sub, or WoW, or Twave, etc. Here, Dark/Fighting is perfect neutral coverage, and Dark/Psychic only misses out on Gengar (outsped and OHKO'd at +2 by Dark Pulse unless it invests in bulk, but what kind of Gengar runs bulk?). That means you have three slots taken by NP/Dark Pulse/Focus Blast or Psychic, and the fourth slot is free for whatever coverage/support you want.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 192-227 (51.3 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 257-304 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
As you can see, it can't reliably break Chansey, but I don't think that's really relevant from a special attacker; furthermore Chansey is incredibly passive and not that good exception bulky teams (especially with the Twave nerf). Chansey doesn't get phazing btw so I think you're thinking of STABs/BH. Darkrai does get Koff to lure Chansey too, and a SD/Koff/Sucker Punch/coverage set would make a hilarious lure.

Weavile and Bisharp also lose to Substitute variants (50/50 vs Bish, or having a sub up already vs Weavile), and it also learns Sucker Punch:
0 Atk Life Orb Darkrai Sucker Punch (70BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 257-304 (91.4 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (Ice Shard only does ~30 back)
Wisp is another way to beat Bisharp, despite the nerf.

Darkrai is pretty good at smashing through both bulky and fast teams, too:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Meloetta: 426-502 (105.4 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 601-707 (141.7 - 166.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (FBlast obviously does way more)
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 220-260 (84.9 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (resisted!)
252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 351-413 (102.9 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (can't switch in, though V-create reliably revenges)
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 283-335 (87.3 - 103.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cresselia: 416-491 (93.6 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia: 419-494 (94.3 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 442-523 (87.8 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
When even SpDef Giratina gets OHKO'd after rocks, there's a problem.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Prism Armor Necrozma: 407-480 (102.2 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Basically, if it hits you super-effectively, you're called Chansey or dead.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Manaphy: 253-298 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery - sample vs 100/100 bulk. It also gets Boltbeam if pixies become a problem:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Shaymin/Celebi: 380-447 (94 - 110.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Manaphy: 380-447 (94 - 110.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You need a scarfer which probably can't switch in, or Beedrill (which has to run Koff to KO after rocks, as PJab maxes out at 88.9%), Fake Out Lopunny, Tapu Koko (idk if this reliably kills), or CB Crobat/other similarly niche mons. This means Darkrai can get a kill almost every time it comes in unless you have ChTwave, which is setup bait for half the tier, or P2, which still loses if it doesn't carry Twave/Darkrai predicts and subs.

tl;dr: it has almost zero reliable switchins and a fantastic speed tier, plsno

I'll be posting a couple of cool (gen 6) sets I've found sooner or later, but I'm tired of typing rn so they'll have to wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)