Information for newcomers / How to contribute with art / FAQ

This feels like a very random question, but I need help and this seems as close a place as any where this would be appropriate: Where should one create a thread where they can share their music ideas? I know Smogon has a section for people to share the music they listen to, but from what I have seen any type of self-promotion is looked down upon over there, and this section seems to be the only one where users are encouraged to share their creative endeavors. To clarify, I'm not trying to get people to pay for my content or anything like that, but I am interested in having as much feedback as I can on some song ideas from as many people as possible.

This feels like a very random question, but I need help and this seems as close a place as any where this would be appropriate: Where should one create a thread where they can share their music ideas? I know Smogon has a section for people to share the music they listen to, but from what I have seen any type of self-promotion is looked down upon over there, and this section seems to be the only one where users are encouraged to share their creative endeavors. To clarify, I'm not trying to get people to pay for my content or anything like that, but I am interested in having as much feedback as I can on some song ideas from as many people as possible.
As far as I'm aware, even though we don't see much of those you're free to make your own thread here in the studio containing some of your music, and proceed posting there whenever you have some newer work to add, just like the majority of people posting visual art do. Also, if you're looking for some real-time feedback visiting our Discord might be a good idea, as I've seen one person specifically posting their music in our server occasionally in search of opinions.

As far as I'm aware, even though we don't see much of those you're free to make your own thread here in the studio containing some of your music, and proceed posting there whenever you have some newer work to add, just like the majority of people posting visual art do. Also, if you're looking for some real-time feedback visiting our Discord might be a good idea, as I've seen one person specifically posting their music in our server occasionally in search of opinions.
Many thanks! Lol I did not realize the FAQ thread was unlocked. Usually sites keep these locked and I assumed this one would have been as well, my apologies for not posting here first.

I want to post a thread using a character-creating program called Papa Louie Pals for dares (example, "I dare you to create Falkner" or things like that) and I would try to make it as similar as possible, for it not to be simply a sloppy idea, and instead, something that I would work on.
Would I post it here or in another section? If the latter, in what section would I put it?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I want to post a thread using a character-creating program called Papa Louie Pals for dares (example, "I dare you to create Falkner" or things like that) and I would try to make it as similar as possible, for it not to be simply a sloppy idea, and instead, something that I would work on.
Would I post it here or in another section? If the latter, in what section would I put it?
Sounds like most convoluted way to image edit something, so it'd go into Smeargle's Laptop.

You know how some pieces of art were nominated for the Smog Awards? Where was each piece used? Were some of them just standalone?

You know how some pieces of art were nominated for the Smog Awards? Where was each piece used? Were some of them just standalone?
All of the pieces nominated for the best article art were used as illustrations for smogon's flying press articles! You can find the full list of articles by year here. Most pieces from the best piece of art category were used for our social media, either as artwork for giveaways or announcements. Feel free to throw me a pm if you're curious about something in specific.

Logo by Zracknel, colored by Bummer

Smogon can be seen as a big place, and the same can be said about the studio to a lesser extent, so hopefully, this thread should be able to pinpoint all of you artists in the right direction. Most of this information is available on our hub, but the more crucial information is emphasized down below. If there's something that isn't answered by the below list, feel free to shoot us a question right in this thread!

The rules of the studio

While there are global rules that applies everywhere in Smogon, there are of course certain things that only applies to Smeargle's Studio, so if you're planning on getting involved, checking out the rules are a good start. Some of it is obvious, but it also mentions some handy threads in the studio, so check it out.

Chat channels

The #smeargle Discord channel and the Art room on Pokémon Showdown! are the two places where our users can instantly exchange opinions and advice in real time, but some more in-depth information is available in the above link.

How do I contribute art to Smogon?

Arguably the most common question we get, but worry not, this page lists some of the options that's available to you.

What are Approved Artists and the Artist Badge?

Even though art can be quite the subjective topic, we do strive to uphold a certain level of quality when it comes to art contributed to Smogon, so the above two subjects can definitely shed some light on what we expect from our more serious contributors.

How can I improve the studio?

There are things that can be done to help our studio that doesn't even involve art skills, so anyone who'd like to help our cause can definitely check out the above link.

- - - - - - - - - - -

List of the studio's staff members

LifeisDANK
tiki
Cretacerus
leparagon

That should be the gist of it. If you have any questions about this forum, make a post right in this thread, or ask any of the users listed directly above. Thanks for reading!
I created my own sprites how can i use it for my ps avatar

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
I created my own sprites how can i use it for my ps avatar
Heya! If you're looking to use a custom avatar on PS!, there are a few requirements you have to meet, first:
  • You are (or qualify for) global voice (+) on PS! and have four badges on Smogon (not including Top Contributor, and at least one badge mustn't be alumn).
  • OR you hold global driver rank (%) on PS! (being Smogon Senior Staff also counts)
  • OR you have a badgeset on Smogon that spins (alumn or otherwise).
If you're curious about obtaining badges on Smogon, more information about them can be found here.
If you're curious about PS! rank and how to become staff, more information on the differing ranks can be found here.

In addition, there a couple of alternative ways to receive custom avatars, such as the following:
  • On occasion, certain rooms on PS! will offer contests where the winning prize is a custom avatar. Check the news every once in a while on PS! to stay updated for such events!
  • OR you can help contribute to the site, such as programming, spriting, tier contributions, etc.
Hope this helps! c:

Heya! If you're looking to use a custom avatar on PS!, there are a few requirements you have to meet, first:
  • You are (or qualify for) global voice (+) on PS! and have four badges on Smogon (not including Top Contributor, and at least one badge mustn't be alumn).
  • OR you hold global driver rank (%) on PS! (being Smogon Senior Staff also counts)
  • OR you have a badgeset on Smogon that spins (alumn or otherwise).
If you're curious about obtaining badges on Smogon, more information about them can be found here.
If you're curious about PS! rank and how to become staff, more information on the differing ranks can be found here.

In addition, there a couple of alternative ways to receive custom avatars, such as the following:
  • On occasion, certain rooms on PS! will offer contests where the winning prize is a custom avatar. Check the news every once in a while on PS! to stay updated for such events!
  • OR you can help contribute to the site, such as programming, spriting, tier contributions, etc.
Hope this helps! c:
thanks for ur help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)