SM OU Ignite the Desert ♛ Peaked #13

Sky above me. Earth below me. Fire inside me.

Greetings, my name is Essence and I have been playing Pokemon since the middle of ORAS. I have always wanted to get involved in Smogon and I feel like this RMT would be my perfect introduction into the community. Although this team is slightly unconventional, it has achieved decent success on the ladder (peaking at #13) and I am officially retiring it for others to use.
The aim of the build was to cultivate an environment where Houndoom could prosper rather than being just another team member. I believe this attitude is what brought success to the team and I also found that this method is very satisfying as you know that you have used the initial Pokemon to its full potential.

Labelled by Verlisify as "OP", I knew that Mega Houndoom was going to be too good for OU.
Aware that its banishment from the tier was inevitable I quickly built around it. However, as many of you may know now, on the 7th June 2017, Mega Houndoom was stripped of his OU status. While I knew he was too fire for this tier, it was still a tragic loss. RIP my friend. I will always cherish those good times we had.

Torkoal was the next addition as sun is necessary for Houndoom to flourish. Torkoal was chosen for the role over Ninetails, as unlike the latter, it can set up rocks and spin, making it not a complete dead weight.

An additional sun abuser was needed and Venusaur was selected on a whim. If I had my time again I would probably choose Victreebel for the role as its access to Weather Ball destroys Sp.Def Celesteela and AV Magearna which need to be chipped for Venusaur to break.

At this point I apparently had nothing that was ranked viable in OU. To remedy this Landorus-T was chosen purely because of his juicy S-Rank status. Just kidding lol, at this stage the two most significant holes in the team were a lack of a pivot for my offensive threats and a ground immunity. Scarf Landorus not only patches up these weaknesses but provides all the usual lando stuff (e.g. intimidate, mind games with electric types and so on).

Tapu Fini was added as a reliable defogger as well as offering a wide range of resistances.
With no switch ins to Lele or Alakazam and craving the need of another pivot, AV Magearna was selected.

The previous edition of the team was destroyed by offensive fire types like Volcarona and Charizard-Y and although Tapu Fini was a reliable defogger, it could only pull off about one per game. Fitting like a glove, Mantine was the perfect replacement. It also completely neutralizes rain teams unless their Swampert is running stone edge.
My switch in to Tapu Koko was Magearna, however a thunderbolt into a volt switch does ~65%. Sp.Def Jirachi helps with this issue while also acting as the more supportive pivot that the team needed by spreading paralysis and wish passing. It was after these modifications that the team began to perform.

Cooshi (Houndoom-Mega) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Named after my dog, Houndoom in the sun is a great wall breaker that is decently effective in this meta. While Dark spam may not be as potent as it was last generation, it is also not to be underestimated. Dark Pulse and Flamethrower are powerful stab moves that destroy everything that doesn't resist. Fire Blast is an option I personally wouldn't recommend as a miss often means losing momentum that took numerous turns to create (setting up sun, making the double switch etc.). Not to mention flamethrower in the sun will still get most of the KO's anyway (e.g. Greninja is guaranteed to drop after stealth rocks). Throughout the team's evolution I was constantly changing the last two move slots. The set initially began with Flame Charge however there were only a few times that it actually came in handy or allowed Houndoom to sweep (those occasions were epic though!). In the end, Nasty Plot and HP Ice were chosen to destroy fatter teams and Zygarde/Chomp respectively.

Ozai (Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Will-O-Wisp

Torkoal's uses besides setting up the sun are pretty minimal. In many matches, Torkoal does not even click a move as Stealth Rocks are often forgone due to my inevitable defog. Torkoal does however neutralize two threats to the team in Offensive Landorus-T and Zygarde with wisp thanks to maximum defensive investment. This scenario occurs often, as the aforementioned mons are usually switch ins to Torkoal. Landorus in particular will usually go for rocks anyway, allowing you to preserve health. Rapid Spin support also helps relieve the pressure off Mantine to defog.

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 230-272 (67 - 79.3%)
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 222-264 (64.7 - 76.9%)

As you can see, even adamant attacks will usually leave you with enough HP to switch into rocks again to set up sun.

Mega Venusaur (Venusaur) @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The MVP of the team, Venusaur is definitely the most underrated mon in OU. Even with a modest nature, Venusaur out speeds 100 base speed scarfers and more in the sun. Growth in the sun gives a +2 boost and that is when the fun begins. At this stage, almost nothing isn't 2HKOed in the tier. Z-Sludge Bomb is crucial to the set allowing you to one shot threats like Medicham and Pinsir without a boost. More than half of my wins were thanks to a sweep by this guy, so I urge you to disregard any negative presumptions you had about him. 224 speed is to out speed scarf Nihilego and maximum Sp.A is obviously crucial. You may also be surprised to know that Venusaur 6-0's stall every time.
Example of what Venusuar does to stall overlords https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589659882. The crit on pex did not matter as you 1v1 that thing. Note that if the staller has a dugtrio, always switch out on the last turn of sun as Groundium Z can OHKO.

Randorosu got tha (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nothing original here but I'll quickly let you know what he does for this team. Landorus is the only switch in to offensive threats such as Medicham and Pinsir which would otherwise crush this team. Once intimidated, you can usually just U-Turn out as Torkoal can handle them at -1, even if they don't switch. Landorus also serves as my only immediate speed control (something that is not to be wasted). The surprise factor of the scarf is also quite nice, allowing you to smack unsuspecting mons like Greninja. I recommend that you don't waste Lando during the match as it will often find potential to sweep late game. Standard set with Stone Edge to better hit Pinsir and Zapdos, although it is definitely interchangeable with Knock Off.

Mizukage (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Although Mantine may seem too passive for this team in theory, it definitely pulls its weight in practice. As my main breaker, Houndoom, is already being chipped relentlessly thanks to its ability, it is imperative to keep rocks off the field. Mantine's ability to defog over the course of the match is far superior to Fini and he isn't destroyed by Volcarona and Charizard-Y. Mantine is also an alright switch in to Greninja and Gengar, unless they are specs and hax. Rain match ups also become very straightforward unless the opponent has Stone Edge on Swampert.

Tamagotchi (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- U-turn
- Wish
- Protect

Jirachi is my wall on the special side, able to sponge hits from Lele, Zam and Kyurem. Wish+Protect is needed to neutralize hits from Tapu Koko and can sometimes provide crucial healing to other team members. U-Turn is to allow Jirachi to safely bring in my frail sweepers and Body Slam is to spread paralysis. You can run some speed if you want to, but I personally used max Sp.Def so that Jirachi isn't overwhelmed.

(oh no)
Charizard-X - At +1 this thing can crush everything. Lando can intimidate it and Venusaur can out speed in sun, but if it is well played you will probably lose.
Mega Alakazam - Traces Chlorophyl and can break past Jirachi with Shadow Ball + drops. Lando can out speed and Houndoom can dodge focus blast if needed as well.
Zapdos - More so annoying, Zapdos can cause a little havoc with discharge because Jirachi cannot beat it.
Gengar - Specs is hard to 1v1 with Mantine due to drops, but if that does happen you can go to Houndoom.
Pinsir - Lando cannot switch in immediately because of Hyper Cutter, but Jirachi can paralyze it and Torkoal can burn.
Heatran - Probably the hardest Pokemon for my team to deal with as it completely stops Venusaur and can taunt Mantine. Lando is risking a lava plume burn on the switch and Houndoom can't beat one that is healthy (HP Ground > Ice is definitely something you can consider).
Greninja - Protean is fine but if you let battle bond variants transform say gg. Mantine only takes 35% from normal specs Gren so it shouldn't be too hard.

Note - If you play aggressively you can often just sweep these threats before they sweep you.
Note #2 - This team was built before Mega Manectric and Tyrantitar were released. They are both two huge threats but I will leave it up to you to adapt the squad (lol sorry).

I hope you guys like the team and enjoyed this RMT. I'll just include some last minute tips on how to operate these troops. Although this team is 'balance', it has to be played aggressively. Remember the flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. Meaning "safe" doubles into the sun abusers are necessary to utilize the limited amount of sun you have. Additionally you cannot just keep faltering back onto the defensive core. You have to control the flow of the game, not reacting to what your opponent does. I hope that made sense lol. This team is difficult to use but if you can manage to make it work, you will have a blast!

Cooshi (Houndoom-Mega) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ozai (Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Will-O-Wisp

Mega Venusaur (Venusaur) @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Randorosu got tha (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mizukage (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Tamagotchi (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- U-turn
- Wish
- Protect

Last edited:

Dirkhann

Banned deucer.
Ths team is flames, literally. Just a quick suggestion though. maybe running earthquake over rapid spin on torkoal to help take on heatran? Idk heatrans tend to switch into this thing like 90% of the time and chipping away at that thing is great for your team, especially helping venu out. Just something to consider

Thanks for the kind words. EQ on Torkoal is a brilliant idea, especially since you were right about Heatran being a common switch in. In my experiences though, Rapid Spin has been about twice as useful as Lava Plume so I would probably drop that move instead. Thank you for your comment!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)