If You Actually Fell For This, I Have a Bridge to Sell You

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh how is Magikarp still not Uber? I realize that usage stats don't determine if a Pokemon is Uber, but most OU teams need at least 2 dedicated checks to take it out.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what has happened to these usage numbers.... Squirtle and Sunkern somehow make it into OU, Golem is near the top for VGC, and everything else a person can thing of. Why not just use Wartortle with Eviolite rather then Squirtle, if anything, and you still have a relatively meh Pokemon.
Wartortle lacks the style that Squirtle clearly possesses. You obviously have NO understanding of the BW OU metagame!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
the only thing better than antar's amazing prank are the people who seem to think they're the only ones who get it, and insist that it's a prank to the rest of us

Jesus guys, shitty UU pokémon like Salamence have OU analyses, but Squirtle doesn't? Is somebody going to do something about this? We call ourselves a competitive Pokémon site and don't have even a fucking skeleton of an OU analysis for the second-most-used Pokémon in the most popular tier.

I'm going back to Serebii.

Not gonna lie, I'm REALLY surprised Squirtle shot all the way up to #2 in OU. I mean, I've been seeing quite a lot of it lately with Jumpluff finally moving down to UU but I never expected it would jump so many spots.

Maybe we can see it top of its class by next month.

Not gonna lie guys, I'm not at all surprised that Scizor went UU. Scizor can't even OHKO eviolite Quilava or E-Vire with Bullet Punch, and both of them can easily OHKO in return with Fire moves. Eviolite Rain Dish Squirtle in rain can also easily outstall it if it gets the Scald Burn, and considering those 3 pokemon are the top 3 OU threats, it really is not at all surprising.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Benefits of being a mod:
1. I can save Jr. Detective from embarrassment.
2. I can still see this after it goes down.

Good job Antar, I knew I made the right move giving you that CC badge.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Grumpig also can take beatings with Reflect up, and make it so Scizor gets more raped by all of the above.

Poor Grumpig- top of the metagame, but always forgotten :<

Edit: Ninja'd D:<

Finally, Sunkern proves itself.

I think we can all agree that Sunkern's appeal lies not in its outright strength, but rather in its versatility. Its balanced stats let it act as a sort of mini-Arceus in that a single bad prediction can easily allow Sunkern to sweep one's entire team. Its most effective set is arguably an SD Chlorophyll set to be run in sun. Another extremely effective set is, of course, Sunkern's Solar Power set which, while considerably slower, packs quite a punch with STAB Giga Drain which can help heal off any damage lost as a result of Solar Power, with various possible Hidden Powers supplementing Sunkern's coverage. But, as evidenced by Ninetales' relegation to UU, along with Vulpix's placement in BL, Sun has waned considerably in popularity, and that's why a new Sunkern set has been more popular as of late, namely the Eviolite wall, which is taking OU by storm, stopping a number of popular sweepers in their tracks, while not always relying on sun. I think we can also attribute the incredible rise in Quilava usage to the popularity of this Sunkern set, as Quilava is undoubtedly the number one counter to Sunkern's non-sun sets which can be very difficult to deal with otherwise.

What are your favorite Sunkern sets to use? With such a versatile Pokémon, it can be hard for an unexperienced player to know where to start.

Especially since fucking elitist Smogon doesn't have a Sunkern analysis.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender

I think we can all agree that Sunkern's appeal lies not in its outright strength, but rather in its versatility. Its balanced stats let it act as a sort of mini-Arceus in that a single bad prediction can easily allow Sunkern to sweep one's entire team. Its most effective set is arguably an SD Chlorophyll set to be run in sun. Another extremely effective set is, of course, Sunkern's Solar Power set which, while considerably slower, packs quite a punch with STAB Giga Drain which can help heal off any damage lost as a result of Solar Power, with various possible Hidden Powers supplementing Sunkern's coverage. But, as evidenced by Ninetales' relegation to UU, along with Vulpix's placement in BL, Sun has waned considerably in popularity, and that's why a new Sunkern set has been more popular as of late, namely the Eviolite wall, which is taking OU by storm, stopping a number of popular sweepers in their tracks, while not always relying on sun. I think we can also attribute the incredible rise in Quilava usage to the popularity of this Sunkern set, as Quilava is undoubtedly the number one counter to Sunkern's non-sun sets which can be very difficult to deal with otherwise.

What are your favorite Sunkern sets to use? With such a versatile Pokémon, it can be hard for an unexperienced player to know where to start.

genius

What I'm suprised about though is that Electivire reached no.1 in usage. I always thought it was completely outclassed by Pachirisu for the role of a hardcore wall and solid Squirtle and Phione counter, which strangely lies at only No. 14.

Edit: Forgot to add that Pachirisu gets Growl, which Electivire doesn't.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Maybe we can see it top of its class by next month.
I'm sorry, but that's really unlikely. Squirtle is a good special wall, that's no lie. Unfortunately, it's still beaten by two of OU's top threats - namely, electivire, who can punch right through with Wild Charge as long as it is holding a Life Orb, and Sunkern, who can not only wall it to no end, but also demolish it with either of its sun sweeping sets.

also, Fizz, you should absolutely go off and write Sunkern's analysis! You seem to have a pretty solid grasp of its role in the OU meta, and since you seem to really want one, no better way than to do it yourself! QC can help you out if you think the EVs need tweaking or something.

Alphatron posted a fairly accurate reason for Sunkern's ownage of the OU tier, and I stick to his theory over yours, no offense. I mean, Sunkern rapes, but it's not like it's Excadrill for Sun teams. Sunkern's ultimate versatility is also its downfall, much like Poliwrath previously being delegated to RU instead of UU (I suspect it jumped in response to Quilava, who in turn jumped to respond to Sunkern). It can do anything, but it's only exceptionally good at a few things. So while it certainly can sweep, I'd say that countering Squirtle and supporting Electivire are much bigger reasons for its usage than its sweeping prowess.

I'm sorry, but that's really unlikely. Squirtle is a good special wall, that's no lie. Unfortunately, it's still beaten by two of OU's top threats - namely, electivire, who can punch right through with Wild Charge as long as it is holding a Life Orb, and Sunkern, who can not only wall it to no end, but also demolish it with either of its sun sweeping sets.

also, Fizz, you should absolutely go off and write Sunkern's analysis! You seem to have a pretty solid grasp of its role in the OU meta, and since you seem to really want one, no better way than to do it yourself! QC can help you out if you think the EVs need tweaking or something.
Countering Squirtle is a big boon for Sunkern, because Squirtle's Rapid Spinning is pretty much the only thing keeping several sweepers from being broken. I already elaborated on the Curse Miltank/Omastar combo that stormed the ladder for a while. Dusknoir has also seen a significant rise in usage lately, and it makes sense. Spinblockers would naturally rise to the occasion.

Squirtle is also the only reason that some Pokemon have reached OU usage. Whereas Quilava counters Sunkern and can deal with its SR weakness, Pokemon like Masquerain cannot. But Squirtle single-handedly Rapid Spinned their way to victory. Masquerain can be a devastating sweeper/supporter, with Quiver Dance and Baton Pass at its disposal. But 4x weakness to SR holds it down. Squirtle fixes that, and is probably the only reason that Masquerain is even in OU now. Mothim is the same way, although its inability to pass QD boosts accounts for its lower usage than Masquerain.

So what I'm saying is, it doesn't matter the two of the top threats demolish it, Squirtle is so indredibly good at supporting its team that it really does take something as beastly as Electivire to beat it to #1. Besides, it counters Quilava, paving the way for the Sunkern sweeps that you and Fizz are such big fans of.

edit: If Fizz makes an analysis, Can I write the Overview, OO, and Checks/Counters sections? I'm not an expert on Sunkern's specific sets, but I feel like I could do a really good jobs with the sections I specified.

genius

What I'm suprised about though is that Electivire reached no.1 in usage. I always thought it was completely outclassed by Pachirisu for the role of a hardcore wall and solid Squirtle and Phione counter, which strangely lies at only No. 14.

Edit: Forgot to add that Pachirisu gets Growl, which Electivire doesn't.
Pachirisu is too slow. Motor Drive is what lets Electivire sweep its way past Zoroark, Scarf Shiftry (another Squirtle counter <3), and the like. Pachirisu lacks the Speed to avoid being revenged. It's better left spamming Growl as a wall, like you said, than sweeping like Electivire.

Not gonna lie guys, I'm not at all surprised that Scizor went UU.
Uhh... I think you misread something. Scizor is still OU. Interesting fact: even if Scizor had sported ZERO usage in March, it STILL would have stayed OU, thanks to its mammoth Jan/Feb showings.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Speaking of Squirtle and Rapid Spin, I'm surprised Starmie managed to stay OU, what with its sole niche being swept out from underneath. It has great coverage and is decent in rain, but really, there are better options for special Rain sweepers (i'm looking at you, Phione)

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Pachirisu is too slow. Motor Drive is what lets Electivire sweep its way past Zoroark, Scarf Shiftry (another Squirtle counter <3), and the like. Pachirisu lacks the Speed to avoid being revenged. It's better left spamming Growl as a wall, like you said, than sweeping like Electivire.
Actually, Pachirisu shares the same base speed with Evire. Theyre both base 95s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)