Walrus I like media - Won by Blazade

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
vonFiedler
America (from West Side Story)

I really like West Side Story, and I really like West Side Story music. This song is very good; I love it so much. Definitely one of the better songs on the OST.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Category 6 - Paint Me A Picture

Header: - Act 2 Opening

Scoring: 75% category match, 25% song quality

Edit: URL removed as it contains PII

Last edited:

Martin

shubaka17
Neck Deep - A Part of Me

``My god my ears. Why can't it all be sung by the girl who sings the middle 8 (who is also not really that good, just... like, not ear-rapey)? This is just... atrocious holy fuck. Also did you just submit this because it says "let me paint you a picture with words" at the start? Like, it isn't a cat fail 'cause I can kinda see how you would interpret it as painting a picture from the lyrics, but that isn't what I see in this at all. I listened to it twice in a row like u asked me to and it didn't change any of that sentiment for me.``

Martin

Walrein
Sithu Aye - The Andromedan Pt II: Mystic Village

``I get that this is trying to paint a pic as you listen... at the start (and even then it feels like it isn't getting across what it is aiming to); it worked until like 2.5ish mins in and then it just pulls you out of what it is painting with guitar. Even as a standalone piece I'm just like... not impressed by it. It's boring as all shit and it doesn't try to do anything interesting.``

Martin

Jalmont
Talking Heads - This Must Be a Nice Place

``OK yeah I can't see the anything here for picture painting here until the second half, and even then it seems to be much more in a metaphorical sense than in a picture-creation sense. Not a catfail 'cause I can see you've at least made an effort to match the category, but I can't score it high for that 75% of the score. I'm not that big on the song either way though, probably a high 5/low 6 at best outside of the category match score.

Martin

LightWolf
Homestuck Vol. 8 - Lotus (Bloom)

``Rated this as low as I have because it both doesn't really paint that much for me and because it doesn't pull me in that well. It's pretty, and I can *kinda* imagine a flower opening and blooming as I'm listening, but it's a bit precarious.``

Martin

Blazade
Jt Bruce - Plunge Into Hyperreality

``IDK if it's just that I'm really tired at this point or not, but it doesn't feel like it's particularly strong on the painting side of things. Like, I can imagine sorta big, high mountain ranges in places, which ties in nicely with the idea that this is meant to be hyperreality, but aside from that I'm just not really seeing it. It's a pretty good song (literally most of the score comes from that) and I appreciate the effort that has been put into it 'cause it's not like it's not a picture at all.``

Martin

Da Letter El
Gorrilaz - On Melancholy Hill

``This does use word painting, but it is somewhat minimal. The bits that I think are word painting are "Up on melancholy hill
There's a plastic tree" and "Up on melancholy hill sits a manatee" but beyond that it just feels like a normal song. It's a decent song though, so I've rated it up for that.``

Martin

TMan87
The Police - Walking on the Moon

``I'm not quite sure how to recieve this piece really; I can't work out if I think this is trying to create some kind of picture in my head or of it is just lyrics that fit well with "walking on the moon" between every line. It's pretty decent outside of that though; not the kind of thing I'd find myself listening to 'cause it's a bit boring, but still decent.``

Martin

Sam Testings
Goreshit - O'er The Flood

``This is sampling from Max Richter's horizon variations and it works well. I think the drums do clash with it a bit in places, and it feels more like an experiment with sound than a picture, but I can see some things and it feels like it's an inversion of the original in terms of what it means and what it attempts to paint. Overall: good.``

Martin

vonFiedler
A-Ha - Train of Thought

``This is good word painting; it creates an enjoyable image of a man going about his everyday business and peeping into his thoughts, telling you as if it were describing a world inside his head. The song is good too.``

Martin

Oddish.
Antonio Vivaldi - Winter

``Low effort sub imo, but it takes a more instrumental approach to painting than some of the other subs do. It does a good job of it too; the winter snow, the children out playing, the robins hopping around from tree to tree... these are all things that I can imagine as I listen to this just during the first section. I like classical music, and this sounds good, so that 25% chunk of the score comes out high too.``

Martin

Eagle4
ODESZA - Kusanagi

``Ooh this is interesting. It feels like I'm hearing sounds of a playground, but at the same time it feels almost like there is something more eerie about it; childrens voices, feet scraping; maybe some kind of image of a memory? I don't know, but whatever it is it's great.``

Martin

this will be my last reveal for a little over 2 weeks as i am on holiday after that and my net access is gonna be severely limited. i'll do the spreadsheet in the morning 'cause there is some things that didn't save that i need to sort, so look forward to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)