Walrus Holy Walrus, Batman!

2535720-walrus.jpg

Hey folks, this is my walrus. For those who don't know, walrus is a completely biased music game where the objective is to send me a song that fits with each of the categories. I will judge your submissions on an x/10 point scale, which also counts towards your score. There will be no bonus points. In the end, the person with the most points wins the game.

The categories:

1. Origin Story
Everyone has one. Submit a song that got you interested in a singer/band/genre/musical you now enjoy. Alternatively, you may submit the first song on any album's track listing. Be sure to clarify which one of these your song is meant to be.
Examples: A Christmas Fucking Miracle - Run the Jewels (introduction song)
Beware of the Stare - Ghostface Killah (first song on an artist's album)

2. Year One
We all have to start somewhere. Submit a song from an artist's debut album.
Examples: Jesus Walks - Kanye West
Paparazzi - Lady Gaga

3. The Killing Joke
Ever heard a song that dealt with a heavy topic, backed by an uplifting beat, or vice versa? What about a song with silly lyrics that was played seriously? Or how about a mashup of two songs or more songs that seem to be complete opposites of each other? Whatever the case, submit a song that presents a juxtaposition, either between it's lyrics and instrumentals, it's component songs if it's a mashup, or in the case of an instrumental song, it's title and music.
Examples: '97 Bonnie and Clyde - Eminem
My Heaven - Silent Hill

4. The Long Halloween
Time to get into the holiday spirit. Which one? Any of them! Submit a song that is either about a specific holiday, references specific holiday, or is in the spirit of a specific holiday (this could be like a love song for Valentine's Day, a spooky song for Halloween, a song about gratitude for Thanksgiving, etc, even if the song in question doesn't reference a holiday). If you're going with the latter option, state what holiday your song is supposed to represent.
Examples: This is Halloween - The Nightmare Before Christmas
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy - The Nutcracker (in the spirit of Christmas)

5. Heroes and Villains
In the neverending battle of good vs evil, one question remains unanswered...which side sings the best songs? Submit a song that's sung by either the protagonist(s) or villain(s) of a story.
Examples: Part of Your World - The Little Mermaid (protagonist song)
Candy Store - Heathers: The Musical (villain song)

6. Cry For Justice
As you can see, I like superheroes (okay mostly Batman but still). Submit a song that's related to superheroes in some way. It could have been in a superhero movie/tv show/musical/game, be about a superhero, have the name of a superhero/the word "superhero" in the title, or even just have a reference to a superhero/being a superhero in the song. If the song is from a superhero work, be sure to state what it's from if it's not made clear.
Examples: Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra (was in Guardians of the Galaxy 2)
Batman: The Animated Series Intro

7. Grab Your Sheet Music
I dig instrumentals and love a good score. Submit an instrumental song that either exists as it's own piece or was made for a specific work. I'll accept songs where the lyrics are just chants, as well as songs that only have a short bit of singing actual lyrics (of the top of my head, I know there are a couple Disney songs that do this, and I still consider them instrumental songs since for the most part, they are).
Examples: Winter (Four Seasons) - Antonio Vivaldi
Something, everything is wrong - Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion

8. Don't Ya Wanna Rev Up Your Harley?
Get ready to dim the lights and slip into something more comfortable, because it's sexy time. Submit a song that's sexual in nature.
Examples: Freak - Estelle ft. Kardinal Offishall
I Touch Myself - Divinyls

9. Before Oddish
I was born in 1998. Submit a song that came out before that year. This is a category where you should actively try to submit something I haven't heard if you haven't already been doing so. I don't know too many songs from before my time, so it'd be nice to be introduced to something new. Feel free to ask me if I know a song before you submit it. This isn't necessary, though if you end up submitting a song I've already heard, you'll only cap at 8 points at the most depending on how much I like it.
Examples: Minnie the Moocher - Cab Calloway
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

About Me:

All you need to know about my music tastes is that it's very broad, though there are some genres I can't stand. Country is almost always an automatic 0. Seriously, I very rarely ever enjoy it. There may be a few exceptions but it's best not to take your chances. Death metal is absolutely an automatic 0. I'm also not a fan of screaming/growling vocals, but I can sometimes bear it depending on how prominent it is in the song. I wouldn't say dubstep is an automatic 0, but it probably won't score very high either, so once again, probably shouldn't take your chances. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Other things that will hurt your score that aren't related to music taste:
- Sending in a censored version of a song. How many points you lose depends on how butchered it is.
- Sending in multiple songs by the same artist. If you only send one other song by the same artist, you'll probably only lose a point, but the more you break this rule, the more points you'll lose. I want variety. I'll make an exception if you send two instrumental songs that are done by the same composer but were made for different works. Send more than two and you'll begin losing points as well.
- Sending in an example song. I didn't think I'd have to say this, but it happened in KoC's walrus. If you send in an example song, you get a 0.

If you're in doubt about whether or not a certain song fits a category, or you want more clarification on any of the categories, feel free to talk to me.

I'll be accepting submissions until the 21st. Would go longer, but I start school again in late August and don't wanna have too much scheduling conflicts with that.

Signups (bold = submitted):
1. Yeti
2. KnightsofCydonia
3. Steven Snype
4. Da Letter El
5. RODAN
6. Myzozoa
7. atomicllamas
8. Lord Gaius
9. Blazade
10. Granny Pie
11. Walrein
12. Eagle4
13. Martin
14. Shubaka17
15. LightWolf
16. zorbees
17. vonFiedler
18. Jalmont
19. Pidge
20. Connor
(irl friend)
21. Ullar
22. Asek
23. Texas Cloverleaf

Last edited:
All right folks, that's deadline. Thank you to everyone who submitted!

Category 1: Origin Story reveal will be on the 25th at 7 pm EDT in the discord server. I will announce if this date/time changes.

And although I called deadline, if anyone else would like to participate, I will accept submissions up to 12:00 am on the 25th.

Since first reveal is starting soon, I figured I'd put this here:

10 - Flawless
9 - Great
8 - Really good
7 - Good
6 - Fine
5 - Okay
4 - Bad
3 - Really bad
2 - Horrible
1 - Atrocious
0 - Irredeemable

This is what my ratings mean. I put this up because I know that certain ratings don't always mean the same thing to some people.

In 22nd place with 3 points: Steven Snype

Sexy in Latin - Little Man Tate

I don't dig this guy's voice. Also, I get the feeling that this song is trying to tell a story, but it doesn't use any interesting storytelling techniques. Kind of a wasted opportunity if you ask me. It makes for an overall unsatisfying listen.

In 21st place with 3.2 points: zorbees

In the Dark - Dev ft. Flo Rida

This song is just not very lyrically interesting. Maybe someone will say that the lyrics don't matter, since it's dance music, but I think if you're gonna have uninteresting lyrics, the song should be catchy enough and/or sung well enough to distract from that, and I don't think this song is. I'm not a Flo Rida fan, but he's the most interesting thing about this song. Not even the sax that music critics apparently creamed their pants over was worth note. The sax is a really cool instrument, and I don't think it's used well here. Also, "open my body up and do some surgery" made me cringe.

In 20th place with 3.4 points: Jalmont

Let Down - Radiohead

So the first time I was listening to this on YouTube, I checked the comments (as I tend to do, despite my better judgement) and saw people talking about the meaning of this song. And that's when I realized that I wasn't really taking in the lyrics. I could hear someone singing, but the lyrics weren't registering my brain. On subsequent listens, I could decipher a few words, but I still find the majority of this song to be unintelligible. Do I just have bad hearing? Maybe. But this sounds like it was recorded at 4 am and the singer hasn't gotten any sleep for days. At some point in this song, the vocals and instrumentals always just start blurring together for me into this sound that I don't like. It just all sounds so groggy and whiney, and maybe that was the intention, but I can't bring myself to enjoy this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)