ORAS Doubles OU Hocus Pocus - Gardevoir TR in DOU

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Hey everybody! My name is Sam, and I'm here today to RMT a team I've used in multiple DOU tournaments and given out to many friends that has seen a lot of success and deserves a lasting place to shine. Quick list of the accomplishments its had that I'm aware of:
- Multiple high finishes in Doubles Seasonals
- Contributing to me winning the Doubles Ladder Tournament, as well as Dawgie's Top 4 placement
- Heavily used by DaAwesomeDude1 in his Doubles Open Top 4 run
- Used by Dawgie to win the Doubles Spring Seasonal
- And a lot more, I know many people have used the team and I'm sure more have that I don't even know of.

The team itself is a Semi-Room Gardevoir team with a fast mode that includes the "Double Genie" core that is so popular in DOU, and adds Azumarill as its bulky Water type to provide pressure on the opponent at every point in the game. The team is predicated upon controlling the tempo of the game; it has options to control speed at all times, can switch and maneuver itself into favorable positions easily, and has high damage output available to it at all times. It's easily my favorite Doubles OU team I've ever made, so let's get right into it.

-->

Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 204 HP / 248 Def / 52 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Gardevoir is the centerpiece of this team and one of my favorite Mega Evolutions in DOU. Pixilate Hyper Voice is absurd in Doubles, Psychic offers a way to smack the problematic Amoonguss around, and Trick Room lets you completely control the pace of the game. Gardevoir falls into a favorable speed tier in which it can operate effectively in or outside of TR, and tank hits on both ends of the spectrum due to the bulk afforded by not investing heavily into Speed. This one in particular takes Kangaskhan Return well and shores up its sub-par physical defenses.

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Trick Room
- Follow Me
- Protect

Relatively standard Safety Goggles Jirachi, par for the course as far as Jirachi goes. Serene Grace Iron Head gives Jirachi a sense of pressure even when its primary purpose is to redirect attacks from Azumarill and Gardevoir. The additional Trick Room option is incredibly useful, as most Pokemon are unable to OHKO Jirachi and are also likely to target its partner due to Follow Me. Jirachi is, in my opinion, the single most unbalanced Pokemon in DOU given its redirection capabilities, speed control options, and Serene Grace Iron Head as a cherry on top. If you're so inclined as well, it gets a plethora of other tech support moves or something like Ice Punch to threaten Landorus-T. Overall, definitely a strong Pokemon and it fills a crucial role on this team.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Protect

Min Speed Eruption Heatran gives the team a big boost in literal firepower, offering strong hits inside Trick Room and many useful resistances that allow the team to switch freely amongst itself and maneuver itself into favorable positions. Shuca Berry is a bit of an odd choice as with Eruption you would want to preserve HP as much as possible, but without Substitute Leftovers felt a bit pointless and almost the entire team has a good match up vs Amoonguss, so Safety Goggles also felt redundant. Shuca has saved me on multiple occasions, so I definitely think it is the correct item choice.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 112 HP / 160 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt / Swagger
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Flash Cannon

Thundurus has a case for being the best Doubles Pokemon of all time and is certainly a key contributor here. Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave are standard and offer reliable damage and an out of Trick Room speed control option, but the other moves tend to fluctuate. Swagger was almost always used up until it was banned, and while you cannot use it anymore, it deserves a mention here as I want to discuss why I had it on the team. Swagger is a move that is a fantastic bailout if all else fails, but it was used here more to maintain control of the game and put the game into my favor statistically. There a number of turns in a game in which Thundurus is dead weight. Perhaps TR is up, or the opponent has Pokemon out that cannot be paralyzed. Thunderbolt might not always be a favorable option, and especially against bulkier teams, Swagger allows you to put the game into your favor statistically and generate momentum without using a move in future turns. Opponents may feel pressured to switch out, or might stay in and risk a 50/50 of doing nothing on that turn. I enjoy using Swagger in the early game just as much as I do late game, it's a fantastic move to generate pressure and build momentum without even using a move past the first use, which is why I voted to ban it as a member of the DOU council. Moving forward though, HP Ice and Flash Cannon can be alternated depending on what kind of team you expect to fight or what you feel less comfortable playing against. I tend to lean towards HP Ice normally, but Diancie is a very strong Pokemon and Flash Cannon is certainly a valid move to use. Speaking of Diancie, the Thundurus spread is designed to take a spread Diamond Storm as well as other physical attacks from Pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan, and also maintain strong bulk on the special side. The speed very comfortably creeps other bulky Thundurus while outrunning Pokemon like Breloom and Pokemon in that mid-range speed.

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 164 Atk / 92 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Landorus-T is easily my favorite Pokemon in Doubles OU and is on every single team I make outside of a very select few (<5). Nothing quite matches its typing, Intimidate, and solid damage output while maintaining a good speed tier. The moveset is very standard and the EV spread is just to assure living +1 Bisharp attacks, so I'm going to go into why I use Assault Vest as my item of choice on most of the Landorus I use. While Choice Scarf is the most common item, I feel AV is the most splashable item and deserves much more use than it sees. In my opinion, Landorus-T is best used as a bulky Intimidate pivot to create opportunities for its teammates to control the pace of the game. AV gives Landorus the opportunity to perform this role best, as it can switch much more comfortably into attacks like Heatran Heat Wave, Gardevoir/Sylveon Hyper Voice, or anything coming from Pokemon like Cresselia or Hydreigon. In addition, you can switch more comfortably into Pokemon that commonly pack HP Ice like Thundurus; even if they call your switch correctly, you will still survive with a sizable chunk of HP to keep Landorus useful for the remainder of the game.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Azumarill is one of the most centralizing Pokemon in Doubles OU, and I especially like it on this team. It serves to prove my point that Azumarill does not need a team to be built around it and is simpley the best fit sometimes. I didn't build this team with Azu in mind; it was initially built as a counter team to what user Stax had been using in DPL for our finals tiebreaker set that I never got to play. I started with these first 5 as he had been using teams relatively TR weak and especially to Gardevoir, and Azu simply happened to be the best last mon to finish out the team. Knock Off is chosen as a means of hitting Amoonguss harder as well as Aegislash, Volcanion, and it hits Rotom-Wash more accurately, which is very valuable to me as Rotom can cause serious issues for the team, so I don't want to miss a Play Rough and lose the game because of it.

So that's my team! I've really enjoyed my use of it and I'm glad other people got a lot of use out of it as well. Its problems matchups generally just boil down to bulky waters that I can't get myself into a position to smack with Azu/Garde/Thundurus. (Rotom-Wash and Sub Volcanion in particular) Wanna give a few shoutouts and drop an importable for you guys to use for the last few weeks of ORAS.

Shoutouts to:
- All the pear
- Dawgie and MajorBowman for playing DOU with me all this time now, I'm glad we've all come to have a lot of success together in this tier.
- The Doubles community for being great, I've enjoyed the hell out of my time playing this tier and interacting with all of you
- qsns for being cute
- Checkmater because he asked for one
- And you for reading! I hope you enjoyed my few hours of killing time between classes at Starbucks

Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 204 HP / 248 Def / 52 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 164 Atk / 92 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 112 HP / 160 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Protect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Trick Room
- Follow Me
- Protect

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)