Metagame Hidden Type

How does it work with Mega Evolution?
It works the same way. Mega Pinsir with the IVs for Hidden Power Ground will become Bug/Flying/Ground.

How does it work with Color Change, Conversion and Protean?
They remove all of the Pokemon's types, including hidden. For example: Protean Greninja with the typing Water/Dark/Grass will become only Water-type if it uses Hydro Pump.

How does it work with Camouflage and Soak?
The Pokémon loses all of its types, including hidden, and becomes Normal or Water respectively.

How does it work with Transform, Imposter and Reflect Type?
The hidden type is not copied.

How do Forest's Curse and Trick Or Treat work?
They replace the Pokémon's third type.
I would like to suggest a minor reconsideration of this. In particular, Transform, Imposter and Mega Evolutions are forme changes, while Color Change, Conversion, Protean, Camouflage, Soak, Reflect Type, Forests's Curse and Trick-or-Treat are not. IMHO it would make sense for Reflect Type to copy the hidden type.

I would like to suggest a minor reconsideration of this. In particular, Transform, Imposter and Mega Evolutions are forme changes, while Color Change, Conversion, Protean, Camouflage, Soak, Reflect Type, Forests's Curse and Trick-or-Treat are not. IMHO it would make sense for Reflect Type to copy the hidden type.
That sounds like a smart move, but to me stayiong true to ingame is more important. Does reflect type copy curse of the forest?

I am just gonna leave a note here, because probably not a lot of people play this but

Tapu Bulu HT Steel is pretty good, defensively.
It becomes sort of how you would run Ferrothorn, Genesect, Base Scizor, Kartana, or Forretress.
It doesn't do much for STAB, unless you're running Smart Strike

Here is it's new coverage:
Weaknesses: Fire
Resistances: Bug, Dark, Electric, Fairy, Grass, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Water
Immunities: Dragon, Poison

A somewhat belated congratulations to Knuckstrike for winning the Hidden type tourmant: Link here. If knuckstrike wishes, their team will be added to samples - in general, there will be a few more joining the list. In general, I've been hearing a lot of complaints about Dragonite being broken: could anyone who played with or against it weigh in?

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
idm, these are literally the first times I played/built gen 7 hidden type teams though so I can't vouch for how good they are.
The balance team is probably the best as it's a reformed good ou team and the sets make sense.

Offense

Tapu Lele - Grass
Scizor-Mega - Water
Greninja - Steel
Landorus-t - Rock
Magnezone - Fire
Tangrowth - Fire

https://pastebin.com/8jFHGnnk

Balance

Venusaur - Water
Chansey - Ghost
Clefable - Water
Keldeo - Grass
Heatran - Flying
Skarmory - Dragon

https://pastebin.com/n4vydK84

Stall

Quagsire - Flying
Amoonguss - Steel
Togekiss - Ground
Sableye - Steel
Skarmory - Dragon
Chansey - Ghost

https://pastebin.com/Mm6rrveG

idm, these are literally the first times I played/built gen 7 hidden type teams though so I can't vouch for how good they are.
The balance team is probably the best as it's a reformed good ou team and the sets make sense.

Offense

Tapu Lele - Grass
Scizor-Mega - Water
Greninja - Steel
Landorus-t - Rock
Magnezone - Fire
Tangrowth - Fire

https://pastebin.com/8jFHGnnk
Just viewing it preliminary, one major problem I noticed is that Magnezone is now 6x weak to Ground with this typing, which means one earthquake, or even one less powerful ground type move is an instakill for it.

Just viewing it preliminary, one major problem I noticed is that Magnezone is now 6x weak to Ground with this typing, which means one earthquake, or even one less powerful ground type move is an instakill for it.
Fire Magnezone is 8X weak to earthquake, but this is basically meaningless. Magnezone cannot liveany relevant Earthquakes or Earth Powers regardless of if it is 4x weak or 8x weak.

I've been using this set ever since I started playing hidden type and I really like it and wanted to share.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello everyone! I will be taking over this tier from now on, and I hope that during this time we can restore this tier to its former glory!

Just gonna plug some interesting sets that I've discovered while playing
toxapex.gif

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 108 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze
Toxapex greatly benefits from a Dark typing, as it gives it an immunity to Psychic, and its only weaknesses becomes Ground and Electric. It gains a new STAB in Knock Off, that is a great tool in any meta. It is an even better blanket check to attackers like Greninja-Ash and Volcarona now as its new typing lets it resist their STABs and coverage options like Psychic or Extrasensory become ineffective. Overall, Toxapex is a great defensive backbone for teams with access to Regenerator and Haze, and is incredibly easy to throw on teams.

kartana.gif

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
Kartana, an already potent attacker and speed control option, gains a very strong extra STAB with its Dark typing and Knock Off, which is a very useful tool. Choice Scarf allows Kartana to outpace multiple threats and KO, such as Mega Gyarados, which with its standard typing has a 4x weakness to grass, Gliscor, Greninja and other scarfers. Kartana is a great choice for revenge killing, and is a great pick for most teams.

mawile-mega.gif

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 180 HP / 160 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
Mawile-Mega already is known for its very strong Sucker Punch, and in Hidden Type it gains STAB to that already infamous move. Mawile is incredibly threatening to most teams, as after just one boost it can be hard to manage. While Dark doesn't add much to its typing defensively, Mawile makes up for it with its insane offensive capabilities.

pinsir-mega.gif
Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Close Combat
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
Pinsir-Mega is another really great mega in this metagame, gaining a strong Fighting STAB in Close Combat that can hit Flying resists better, though a lot of Flying resists also run Flying as their final typing so the coverage isn't as perfect as it would be in a normal meta. Still though, Pinsir is a really potent threat in the meta as always, being able to sweep unprepared teams with ease and it should definitely not be overlooked.

That's pretty much it for now; hopefully this metagame can gain some traction again as we move forward with the new leadership, and maybe with enough traction we can get OMOTM. Reminder that Hidden Type is available as a challenge based option via ROM and if it isn't already, the Abyssal Bot should be updated with some teams. If not, you can always pm me on discord if you would like to play and I can try to come on. Hope everyone has a fun time playing this meta!

Last edited:
Is there a way to make a Pokemon fairy type? I was looking to have fun with Shedinja, but I realized it can't check Dark Mawile, which I wanted it to lol

So teambuilding in Hidden Type feels really tedious now that you have to manually input IV spread for each mons to have the type you want. Idk if this has been addressed or not, but if it hasn’t, can we have a QoL change so that we don’t have to google and manually input each IV spread?

So teambuilding in Hidden Type feels really tedious now that you have to manually input IV spread for each mons to have the type you want. Idk if this has been addressed or not, but if it hasn’t, can we have a QoL change so that we don’t have to google and manually input each IV spread?
You don’t have to. Pick the Hidden Power move then delete it. It will set the IVs and they will remain.

Gman

Stay kind, stay compassionate
Because depending on the chosen type, it always has at least 3 weaknesses, is shut down by entry hazards, one or both forms of HP diminishing weather, status, and Mold Breaker. I agree that it's much better than in regular metagames, with some types giving it real advantages (I love Steel Shedinja for example!). I'll even admit that not knowing its Hidden Type can be really detrimental to the opponent (but this is also true for every other Pokemon, so no case can be made). However, since Stealth Rock is practically everywhere, Shedinja risks being dead weight even with heavy hazard control! :)

Last edited:
There is no Hidden Power Fairy, so you can't add it as a type. Same with Normal.
Some loser appears to say something about this little meta, and that losers name is Squidy822.

It feels unnecessary that such a sort of "choose a 3rd type" meta disallows two entire types, just for lacking a hidden power.

that is all i have to say

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some loser appears to say something about this little meta, and that losers name is Squidy822.

It feels unnecessary that such a sort of "choose a 3rd type" meta disallows two entire types, just for lacking a hidden power.

that is all i have to say
H i, thank you for your concerns involving the metagame. While I do agree it is quite annoying that Game Freak never added Hidden Power Normal or Fairy, there’s nothing that can actually be done to change that in the context of the meta.

Since Hidden Power typing is decided by what combination of IVs you have, and that every IV combination already has a Hidden Power type linked to it, it would be impossible to add Fairy or Normal without infringing on other types, which is both wrong, and knowing our coders, could easily cause problems not only in Hidden Type, but in other tiers too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)