Help with Rain team

Hi guys! After long time, I feel I need a bit of help with a team that I am testing.I always loved rain teams because of the speed and the power that have, so I want to try to build an effective one in this format too (even if no Ludicolo/no Kingdra :( ).

So, here is the team:

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Protect
- Tailwind
- Hurricane

Basic Pelipper set. Scald and Hurricane for good damage under rain, burn and confusion chance are the icing on the cake.Tailwind to support the other member of the team, is really a pity that everyone cannot have Swift Swim :( .Protect because Pelipper is an immense attack bait.

Golduck @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Pretty straightforward too. Waterium Z Hydro Pump under rain hurts A LOT. Can do amazing damage even to the bulkiest of the targets (and I realized since a couple of weeks that Golduck has the same SpAtk as Kingdra). Scald is used for the accuracy (most of the time I don't trust Hydro Pump) and (again) for the burn chance. Ice Beam is useful to take down Dragons and damage Grass types. Protect because is Protect.

Metagross @ Psychium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Since I'm running Lele, I wanted to partner it with Metagross, especially with the Psychic Z-Crystal because can inflict fantastic damage with 160 BP Shattered Psyche (that cannot miss) and (possibly) a Psychic Terrain boost.Meteor Mash is Steel STAB and also has a nice +1 Atk chance, Bullet Punch is STAB priority to take out weakened flying things or any other mon out of Psychic Terrain.

Krookodile @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulldoze
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

I'm not too convinced on this one, but as for now it's proven useful in certain situations, like reducing speed and atk courtesy of bulldoze+intimidate. Ass Vest because has nice special bulk with it. Crunch and Eq as STABs, especially Crunch since it hits most TR setters for SE damage.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Lele is really good because protects most of my team from priorities, with a scarf is even better because it can KO things quickly thanks to amazing coverage and power. In this format all it needs are really STABs+something for Celesteela, that in my case is Thunderbolt (can also be powered up by Electric Terrain).Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam as Fairy STABs (also useful to have a spread move), Psychic hurts.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Koko is another member on which I am not too sure about, but like Krookodile has been useful with a fast Taunt for TR setters and a hard hitter with Thunder. Thunderbolt is for when I am not under rain.LO helps with the damage that (sometimes) is not enough, especially with Tbolt outside of rain.

So, this is the team. During my testings on BS I found to be really weak to TR (especially hard TR) that can easily overwhelm me if TR goes up. Krookodile+Koko somewhat mitgate this problem, but as I wrote before I am not too convinced on them.
I'm open to any suggestion, so feel free to help me in any way!

Hey, it does appear you haven't done the Mandatory Team Assignment, so you probably should do that first.
Edit: Whoops, i didnt double check enough. Sorry about that.

Besides that, have you thought of swapping out the Krookodile for Garchomp? It did pretty well with Assault Vest earlier and has Fire Fang and Poison Jab for good coverage options. It may not get a SE attack va Psychic, but I believe that Pory2 and Mimikyu are two of the more popular trick room setters, and the former is notoriously hard to break, while the latter takes a SE hit from Poison Jab.

Last edited:
Hi, probably you missed it, but my name is in the list of the people that completed the assignment.
Anyway, Garchomp seems a solid choice, I didn't consider it just because krooko has Intimidate but I'll be more than happy to give it a try (Poison jab is neutral on mimikyu due to primary ghost typing, but has SE on all the tapus so is really cool).
Thank you for your help! Have you got any other suggestion?

Howzit man, this is something minor but I feel it feel help you out

Use this set for your Golduck

Golduck @ Waterium Z
EVs: 140 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

The difference is the EVs, putting 252 in Speed is unneccessary, with only 52 Speed EVs a Modest Golduck under rain can outspeed a +Speed Nature Pheramosa
With 84 EVs you can outspeed a Choice Scarf Adamant Garchomp and OHKO with Ice Beam, this is gonna maximize your EVs so none are wasted

Also let's talk about Tapu Koko, I don't think it's wise to carry both Thunder and Thunderbolt and nothing else, that flat out is walled by Ground types, drop one for Dazzling Gleam

Howzit man, this is something minor but I feel it feel help you out

Use this set for your Golduck

Golduck @ Waterium Z
EVs: 140 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

The difference is the EVs, putting 252 in Speed is unneccessary, with only 52 Speed EVs a Modest Golduck under rain can outspeed a +Speed Nature Pheramosa
With 84 EVs you can outspeed a Choice Scarf Adamant Garchomp and OHKO with Ice Beam, this is gonna maximize your EVs so none are wasted

Also let's talk about Tapu Koko, I don't think it's wise to carry both Thunder and Thunderbolt and nothing else, that flat out is walled by Ground types, drop one for Dazzling Gleam
I'm currently testing on SD a Rain Team, and I can say that Encore on Golduck is pretty nasty. As it is the faster thing on the field, you can easily lock enemies on a bad move (like Protect spam, setup spam, and such), so they won't be a threat.

This is the set I'm using on Golduck (courtesy of a friend of mine):
Golduck (M) @ Waterium Z
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Protect

Your EV spread looks interesting, I'll try it for sure.

I think there is no point in using two water moves: if you want a reliable STAB, then Scald. If you want more power, just use Hydro Pump.
I don't think you want to fish for burns with Scald on Golduck, as Golduck's role is to kill the opposing pokemon, and Hydro Pump does that better.

And lastly, I'd probably play Volt Switch on that Koko (Thunder/Tbolt + Protect + Volt Switch + Gleam/Taunt), as it gives you a good way to put threats in, or to make some cool plays when you have both Pelipper and Koko out and you need to reset the weather in a weather war: switch out Pelipper into something, and Volt Switch on Koko, then put in Pelipper for free.

Sardus21: How do you play against Trick Room? Is there a common strategy you use to stop them from setupping it (like Taunt / double targeting)?
Have you considered finding a slot there for a slow pokemon like Snorlax, which can destroy them under their TR?

EDIT: Asked my friend because he went on 252 Spe, and it is for some Scarf users, for rain mirrors where he must outspeed opposing Golducks, for outspeeding some pokemons under opposing Tailwind (when you didn't setup your own).

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I think there is no point in using two water moves: if you want a reliable STAB, then Scald. If you want more power, just use Hydro Pump.
I don't think you want to fish for burns with Scald on Golduck, as Golduck's role is to kill the opposing pokemon, and Hydro Pump does that better.
And what if you're put in a position where you really really just want your water move to hit and you don't want to risk hydro pump's shaky accuracy? And you also want the much more powerful hydro vortex? Double water STAB is a perfectly viable set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)