ORAS PU Harambe's Revenge

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor

Welcome to my first ever RMT. I’ve played in PU for quite some time (pretty much since the beginning of Gen 6) and while I wouldn’t say I’m an amazing player, I definitely have improved very recently. I’ve been watching the PU Good Cores thread and have developed several of my own teams around the cores in there. This RMT is built around one of those offensive cores. (Also I took way too much time editing those pictures so I hope you enjoy them). I've been working on and with this team for a while now but been busy bc college so I'm only just now posting it right before the metagame gets shaken up with Sun and Moon, my b. Also I know this team isn't perfect, if you have any suggestions, please help a brother out (what are RMT forums for anyway?).

Teambuilding

I started the team off with this [core] created by Twix (always cite your sources, kids). These two extremely fast Pokemon are also quite powerful, meaning they can hit all of the metagame for decent normal effective damage. Both have options for momentum.

I always like to make sure hazard control is one of the first things I put on a team after the core. Vibrava was my choice because of its nice immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes along with a resistance to Stealth Rock. Also it provides a nice Golem check as well as Ground and Electric immunities.

I next added a physical wallbreaker, as the two main offensive mons so far were special. Ursaring was my pick because of the sheer power it has. A fast STAB Facade can tear through unprepared teams.

At this point I was feeling a little weak to fast Electric types like Zebstrika and Electrode. Vibrava works as an immunity but as many Electrics also carry HP Ice, I didn’t feel safe. Seaking provides that same Electric immunity as well as resisting the Ice type attacks that can hit Vibrava.

Finally, I chose Monferno because I felt a little weak to both Cacturne and specially defensive Grass types. Cacturne can’t KO this thing no matter what and Monferno actually has quite a few good support options beside the normal offensive sets.

Originally, I had this team using a specially defensive Monferno at first, but after testing, I decided that an offensive Monferno would work well with Solrock filling the previous role it had but with better bulk and an extra ground immunity at the cost of some speed.

In-Depth

Star Fox (Floatzel) (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Baton Pass

The first member of Twix’s core is Floatzel. Mystic Water was chosen to power up Hydro Pump without the recoil of Life Orb. Ice Beam is a great move to try and catch Grass types like Cacturne that may try to switch into a predicted Hydro Pump. This set works very well as a lead against teams with other leads like Golem by making it easy to Taunt the Stealth Rock turn 1 then proceed to Baton Pass to scout your opponent’s play. Floatzel also works for taking on Ground types that Zebstrika can’t handle. The EV spread is fairly self explanatory, maximize speed and damage output.

Marty (Zebstrika) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Spa
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

The second member of Twix’s core is a long time favorite of mine. I normally prefer Lightning Rod, but Sap Sipper works much better on this team. This is a standard Zeb set with HP Grass over Ice for the likes of Quagsire and Golem harder. Overheat hits Grass types hard, and Volt Switch provides good momentum while Thunderbolt is just powerful STAB move. Zeb takes on the Grass and Water types that Floatzel struggles with. Sap Sipper helps Seaking with its only weakness in Grass types. EVs for this are also fairly easy, max speed, max special attack, Life Orb for more damage.

Flygon 2.0 (Vibrava) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Earthquake

Vibrava was chosen as this team’s hazard control mainly because in my opinion it's one of the best defoggers in the meta. With its nice niche of being immune to Spike hazards, Sticky Web, and resisting Stealth Rock, it definitely has the best advantage over hazards of any mon in the tier. Defog is for hazard control but should not be fired off willy-nilly if the opponent has a supposed Defiant or Competitive user. U-Turn keeps up the momentum supported by the first two but is significantly slower for extra scouting. Roost is for recovery and Earthquake can get good damage. I chose a physically defensive set over special to better handle Stoutland and get off a Defog after tanking a Return.

Solgaleo-Complete (Solrock) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Rock Slide

Specially defensive Solrock was the latest addition to this team after testing. The original Monferno set was basically the same moves but Slack Off and Fire Punch in the last two slots. Solrock has the added benefit of passive recovery in Leftovers and a great typing that resists other psychic types that threaten this team. This in addition to having Levitate makes Solrock very good against the likes of Mr. Mime, Golem, even the newly dropped Combusken. The given EVs are used to outspeed 252 Speed Adamant Beartic and Mawile to burn them as well as Modest Regice to hit it with a Super Effective Rock Slide and everything below that. Max HP investment gives Solrock decent longevity and a maximum Leftovers value. The rest is put into special defense to help Solrock take hits from Pokemon that aren’t crippled by Will-O-Wisp.

Dory (Seaking) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 112 HP / 200 Atk / 124 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Seaking has surprisingly been one of the MVPs of this team. This is the standard Smogon set, however, it definitely performs well. Waterfall hits Ground and Rock types fairly hard. Megahorn hits Grass types that try to switch in. Knock Off is almost always your go-to move removing Lefties, Eviolites, and other items that can give Seaking and the whole team a better advantage. Facade is the final move as it helps Seaking handle other Water types that attempt to Scald burn it. Lightning Rod is one of my favorite abilities, and even though Seaking isn’t a special attacker, it helps it much better handle Electric types. 72 EVs in speed outspeeds max speed Adamant Golem. The HP and Sp Def EVs let Seaking take Rotom’s Blizzard three times and increases longevity in general in conjunction with Leftovers. The other EVs are put into Attack to increase damage.

Harambe's Revenge (Monferno) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Choice Scarf Monferno rounds out this team with a fast physical attacker and adding momentum to the Zeb+Float core. This set is a fairly standard one and breaks many special walls like Probopass and Articuno the team doesn’t handle very well as Zebstrika and Floatzel can’t directly OHKO them. Close Combat and Flare Blitz are both very strong STAB moves and help punch massive holes in opposing teams. Mach Punch is used to pick off other Pokemon with priority who are already low such as Aqua Jet Floatzel and Banded Dodrio. U-Turn is there to provide more momentum to the team and a way to hit Grumpig harder. EV spread is again fairly self-explanatory maximizing Attack and Speed with a Choice Scarf to outspeed anything that isn’t Ninjask, boosted, or Scarfed itself. I use Iron Fist over Blaze because Blaze only boosts Flare Blitz then most likely dies to recoil, where a boosted Mach Punch can help pick off more things and more reliably OHKO Pawniard.

Star Fox (Floatzel) (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Baton Pass

Marty (Zebstrika) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Flygon Jr. (Vibrava) (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Earthquake

Solgaleo-Complete (Solrock) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Rock Slide

Dory (Seaking) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 112 HP / 200 Atk / 124 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Harambe's Revenge (Monferno) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Threat list

Not many things can stand up to this team if you play smart. But there are a few things that can get out of control if left unchecked.

Weather Teams

There isn’t much this team can do against weather teams, as Hippopotas sets up sand on entry and Illumise and Volbeat out-prioritize Floatzel’s Taunt. There isn’t much of a way to stop Sand Rush or Swift Swim sweepers from tearing through the team except trying to predict and play around them.

Stoutland

This was a much bigger threat when I still had Ursaring and specially defensive Monferno, but it still should be noted that the only thing that can take a Return is Solrock but most Stoutland carry the 2HKO in Crunch so you have to predict correctly.

Freeze-Dry

While the distribution isn't too large, things like Cryogonal or Lapras can become a problem if left unchecked due to three members of the team being weak to the move and Lapras's Water moves hitting Monferno and Solrock super effectively. Cryogonal isn’t as much of a problem because of Monferno though.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-491493206 Opponent had a Furret which was kinda weird but still put up a fight.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-493426427
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-493000201 I haxed my opponent to hell and back, but decent match with some of the new drops.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-492998685 Couple lucky crits in here
Shout Outs

The Scavengers room on PS! for being what really got me involved in Showdown and all those who helped me reach the competitive level I’m at now.

Abyssal Ruins for being my best competitive battling partner and helping me learn how to make my own teams instead of stealing from pokeaim. :^)

Twix again for creating the main offensive core of this team and being kind enough to post it in the Good Cores thread.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man. I've been working on fixing this team for the past few days, but ultimately I'm not sure exactly how it should get done. This won't give you a perfect list of how to fix your team but it should help work on improving it based on the weaknesses I've found and the general structure of the different ways you could go about improving it.

The thing about the team is that you have basically 3 offensive (float/zeb/monf) and 3 defensive (rock/brava/king) pokemon slapped together, so it's not quite offense but it's not great for balance either. Balance (as in 3-4 offensive, 2-3 defensive) is a tough archetype to use in PU currently because you have to get really good synergy going between the offensive and defensive mons, and I just don't see that here. Your team really isn't covering a ton of weaknesses with its defensive core, or breaking down other teams well with its offensive core. So defensively, you're heavily threatened by pretty much every water type since Seaking isn't a permanent answer (even to things like Politoed if they burn early), pretty much every grass type, Mawile, Stoutland, Combusken, Grumpig, Mr Mime... there's a lot of stuff to handle because the 3 defensive mons all happen to be more niche picks rather than covering a lot of stuff (Seaking handles a few specific pokemon like Rotom-F vs Golem checks a wide variety of things from stout to zebra). Offensively, on the other hand, your only hope at any kind of stall breaking is taunt on Floatzel. This makes defensive boosters like Quagsire, Muk, Clefairy, Duosion, etc all massive issues (Clefairy literally just wins btw), and allows general defensive cores, even outdated ones that you wouldn't really see anymore like Pelipper+Roselia, to completely wall the team because of how weak it is. And finally some of the sets just really don't hold up. SpDef Solrock is a hard mon to justify compared to phys def rock or other specially defensive things with rocks like golem/stunfisk/clefairy, the floatzel set lacks some of the coverage that would make it a lot more effective in favor of both taunt and baton pass which is mediocre, and scarf monferno is just bad in this metagame and I don't have a good way to spin this one. Aside from its unique defensive presence in checking pawniard/leafeon (and losing its scarf while doing so), it's not particularly strong or fast or possessing amazing typing to check more than a few things or really capable of much at all that better scarfers are. It seems like the mascot of the rmt and if you really like it then you could try to make it work, but otherwise I can't recommend it as a pick at all.

Ultimately there's just a lot wrong and I couldn't decide on one way to go with the team. You could go for a more semistallish approach beginning with the Seaking+Solrock core, which is interesting because it's two lesser seen mons that could help cover a lot of stuff as long as you get some good grass checks. You could convert this into offense where Monferno+Floatzel+Zebstrika is a workable place to start but I probably wouldn't use any of the other mons on offense (unless fiddling with some kind of offensive rocks+BP resist berry offensive pivot solrock which I thought up a while back and never did anything with but worth a shot if u really like the idea). Or you could just work with a few of the mons you like best here, like using Float+Monf+Rock and then working on balance that just has better team synergy. The team is so split between different styles that you could try taking it in a lot of different ways, but ultimately I don't think the current version is going to be too successful, especially since it flat out loses to Quagsire stall which is the most dominating playstyle/team right now. I hope some of this helped, and good luck with the team!

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Thanks for all that input. Tbh I hadn't used this team for a while and I got to playing with it and I guess I must've just had some streaks of lucky battles where I got some favorable matchups. But since posting this I noticed all the gaping holes in it and I just wanted to take it down and granted, I haven't really used this team too much since the quag drop. I like the idea of making it a more offensive team so I'll try and fiddle around with it. I'll honestly probably scrap the team and wait until Sun and Moon drops to make a new RMT (I really like Banded Toucannon+Drampa as a Normal spam core, if they ever drop this far). I guess I felt rushed trying to get this RMT out before ORAS became too irrelevant and it cost me some polish and real hardcore testing, but thanks for being super helpful!

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Megazard pretty much hit the nail on the head, but it doesn't mean this team cannot be improved.

A stronger wallbreaker would be absolutely necessary which can easily be placed over Floatzel and Zebstrika, as having them both is pretty unnecessary in this metagame. The core was built in a more offensive metagame when strong special attackers were excellent at overwhelming offensive teams, however now defensive playstyles are common and neither Pokemon can get passed common special checks like Clefairy and Muk. Something like Bulk Up Rest Ursaring over Floatzel would work well over Ursaring to not only give you an excellent way of pressuring defensive cores, but it also provides some special defense support the team otherwise lacks.

I'd also suggest rearranging the other two offensive Pokemon, as Monferno isn't a particularly good Choice Scarf user, whereas something like Choice Scarf Rotom-f provides you with faster revenge killer which can check Pokemon like Gorebyss, while providing the team with momentum which it requires. Scarf Monferno is fairly weak and not being able to outspeed certain set up mons like Gorebyss puts the team at a further disadvantage than it needs to be especcially since it doesn't provide you with anything Rotom cannot. Lastly I think running another strong wallbreaker would be beneficial. SubNP Ninetales would be a good pic as not only can it dismantle common defensive cores, but it also gives you a more reliably way to revenge kill Leafeon and provides more insurance vs Sucker Punch users like Pawniard and Cacturne.

Ursaring @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Return
- Rest
- Seed Bomb

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

Sorry for changing a lot of the time, but it should help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)